What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tribble Access Information

Comments

• Options
    vanameervanameer Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't understand whining about it. I first started this as pay to play, and did not like it much when it went F2P, but I was wrong about that, I have enjoyed so many F2P members on this game. But I have spent $300, for lifetime and $159 for Romulan and so many cryptic points and zen I have lost count. So if you want to whine when they do something for gold members, become a gold member and stop whining about it.
  • Options
    kadvelkadvel Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Okay that makes sense. I was wondering why I lost shard access except for RedShirt. Thank you for the heads up.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wait, there is an advantage to be a gold member now ? And people complain about it ? Wow, seriously. We either pay 15$/m (or something), or spent a hundreds on a LTS.
    Guess what ? We expect a bit in return.

Also, that usually mean we are more involved in the game than random joe, f2p, logging once a year because he saw a news on his favorite MMO website.

Also,no matter what, the beta will be leaked everywhere, with videos, forum post, screenshot,etc... without you having to test anything, and have to go through the bugs.

Finally, a beta is made to give feedback, and report bugs. Everything we'll do on tribble will be useless on holodeck. Stop complaining, you'll see as much as us, without the hassle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    gotta love segregation

This is what is probably going on in there, 2 people saying this console is "bugged" (yes, "bugged" no intel lol)

And the rest saying Weeeee! new ships! :D

And then some doing the 45 minute chat to fleet and zone chatter, and not much testing ... lol

and the percent Vs the FTP population, or those who went BACK to F2P for good reason, i'm sure is MUCH higher then the Gold player base, but this is one more wise choice of selection, in the end watch the bugs pour due to low access

*Golf Claps and grabs some popcorn* :D

Edit: Prediction, 3-6 weeks of bugs and crashing from launch date, REAL bug reports begin ONLY when the issues are noticed, looks like LoR Dispersal Pattern V2.0 lol

This isn't segregation, learn the meaning of the word.

You have the exact same chance to join Tribble as every other person out there. You just CHOOSE not to pay for a subscription and go on tribble.

Segregation is a vile practice of purposely not even giving people a chance to do something based on Race/Creed/Sexual Orientation what have you.

You choosing not to pay a subscription is your choice not theirs. When they tell you that you can't buy a subscription, then you're being segregated. Until then it's your choice.
  • Options
    kitt1780kitt1780 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If the Tribble Server is for Gold Account members, is there a possibility to transfer my character to the Redshirt Server?

:eek::confused:
    CRISTOPHER C RICO
    Serial No SF-F005921
    Aerospace Reserve Command
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kitt1780 wrote: »
    If the Tribble Server is for Gold Account members, is there a possibility to transfer my character to the Redshirt Server?

:eek::confused:

You should always be able to transfer a live character to redshirt. I've never known redshirt to be restricted. You can not transfer a tribble character to redshirt however.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vanameer wrote: »
    So if you want to whine when they do something for gold members, become a gold member and stop whining about it.

Its not a problem that goldmembers get something more. The problem is that by limiting the amount of testers, you limit the quality and quantity of testing. If the big amount of bugs will be found after they made tribble avaiable to all players, but have only 3weeks to fix them, we can look forward to yet another heavily bugged seasonstart.

And that is a problem concerning all players, and just plain stupid design.
  • Options
    dontliketolosedontliketolose Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    The problem with all the bugs you kind of allude to, but point the fingers at the wrong spot in your opening. It has nothing to do with how many Silver players get to play on Tribble. As you mentioned you're done all the recent Tribble launches, and they're all failed miserably anyway with bugs you're reported making it into live launches.

So no, your arguement doesn't hold water, by your own admission. The problem is, Cryptic is so set on launching stuff to live on time, they decide to launch full of bugs, even when the bugs have been reported multiple times. They'd rather launch a crappy prodect on time, then delay a week or two and launch a smoother product.

Many of the posts don't hold water your point is what.
    My point was despite the bugs pointed out by players either gold or sliver, F2P are ignored until on the live server, which means F2P gamers win because it isn't worth the membership for the down time and lack of content until now.

No hard feelings meant just thought I should clear up my last post.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    woah lol ... not concerned with getting into there :S

stating a mathematical fact that is all lol ...

but yes, segregation, in it's rawest mathematical definition, to divide a group or objects selectively
    like this 2/5,
    18/27,
    8 divided by 4
    let's hear the carnal savagery of humanities, definition.

((yes raw math, "unpolluted"))
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    englishnodenglishnod Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The issue here is not who has access and who does not at any given time.

lets face it the majority of gold/lifers will log in have a look and log back out without being constructive, likewise for the silvers and f2p.

The biggest issue i see is the LACK OF INFORMATION, there has been no definitive answer to why it is set to gold only to date only what others have surmised as being the case.

Cryptic Studios have this some what annoying knack of doing this kind of stuff and not actually explaining themselves, they lack in the common sense department.
    It's customer service is appalling at best and is completely ignorant to the fact that its customers should always come first.
    Really come on cryptic you can NOT implement something and then not explain your reasons behind a decision or are you actually scared of the back lash you may get?
    The community has already given you an answer you can use and its viable.

To be perfectly honest a lot of people on this forum could do a better job than that currently being done by Cryptic's customer service (if it even exists) i know i could ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    they are probably loading an unreal amount of stuff/code atm, someone said there was only a lvl up and no new stuff in there atm, they could be preparing the Tribble server for some of the content and "welding" some code
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    they are probably loading an unreal amount of stuff/code atm, someone said there was only a lvl up and no new stuff in there atm, they could be preparing the Tribble server for some of the content and "welding" some code

Employee 1: what are you doing with the blow torch and mask.
    Employee 2: i am welding in the new code.
    Employee 1: I don't think its meant to be done this way.
    Employee 2: I was told to weld the new code into the servers!

Sparks flying from the server as the system goes offline for unscheduled maintenance with no explanation as to why!

( did you see what i did there :D )
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    actually that reads the way most of the new launches play, LoR was a prime example lol :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    cmdrhawkeyezcmdrhawkeyez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hello,

Well I thought I weas gonna test in this server so I could test...

The Foundry

Well I am FTP so I guess thats out.

Hawkeyez
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hello,

Well I thought I weas gonna test in this server so I could test...

The Foundry

Well I am FTP so I guess thats out.

Hawkeyez

The foundry is pretty much never available on Tribble during the times when Redshirt is up; they turn it off as soon as they put the new codetree up, and it's usually turned off on Holodeck for a few weeks after the stuff on tribble goes live as well.

If you want to test the Foundry, Redshirt is the place to do it.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,871 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Its not a problem that goldmembers get something more. The problem is that by limiting the amount of testers, you limit the quality and quantity of testing. If the big amount of bugs will be found after they made tribble avaiable to all players, but have only 3weeks to fix them, we can look forward to yet another heavily bugged seasonstart.

And that is a problem concerning all players, and just plain stupid design.

That is however operating under the great big fat assumption that tribble is going to stay gold locked. That quite simply isn't the case. We've seen these sorts of restrictions happen before and, wouldn't you know, it corresponds to the first time content from a new season is released onto tribble. It could be that Cryptic wants to limit the number of people testing the new and presumably fragile content and they use the gold-silver account status as an easy way of deciding who's in and who's out (particularly since its a distinction already made.) Then later, when they're more confident about DR networking stability and what-not, they let a larger number of people in by returning to the status quo.

Of course it would be nice if cryptic came out and provide their reason directly so people around here wouldn't overreact but I suppose they risk people getting the wrong idea otherwise. I guess its just a choice between two flavors of contrived grievance (which isn't to get after you so much but instead the fact that at page 14 of this thread I can still make this point.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    qslipstreamqslipstream Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    that is so lame that tribble is now only gold delta quad is more than likely going to go pay to play
    really wish sto wasn't going like so many other games only gold input matters when it comes to testing new content and I have been playing for along time now and thats why I don't play sto very much anymore well thanks anyways
  • Options
    arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    you're wrong here.
    1) the devs ignore gold and lifetime members' bug reports just as much as they ignore silver ones. as long as it doesn't give paid items for free or reduce the player irritation by reducing grind, it's not that important and a fix can be delayed for a few months, like the fed skirts texture glitch for example.

2) the restriction will be lifted within a few weeks at most. they have 6 weeks left until official holodeck release, so within 2 or so weeks tribble should go silver again.

3) there's nothing new on tribble yet, other than the level cap being upped to 60. they're probably withholding most of the actual content until the gold/lifetime restriction is lifted. all gold/lifetimers get to do is stresstest the codebase to see if it doesn't crash too often.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    arrmateys wrote: »
    you're wrong here.
    1) the devs ignore gold and lifetime members' bug reports just as much as they ignore silver ones. as long as it doesn't give paid items for free or reduce the player irritation by reducing grind, it's not that important and a fix can be delayed for a few months, like the fed skirts texture glitch for example.

2) the restriction will be lifted within a few weeks at most. they have 6 weeks left until official holodeck release, so within 2 or so weeks tribble should go silver again.

3) there's nothing new on tribble yet, other than the level cap being upped to 60. they're probably withholding most of the actual content until the gold/lifetime restriction is lifted. all gold/lifetimers get to do is stresstest the codebase to see if it doesn't crash too often.

...and They are not even going to be putting ANY of the new story line on Tribble.

It's all just going to be trinkets and their interaction with the players and the code base, that They are having Golds test at the moment.

Pay the lousy $15 bucks for one month, then you won't have to worry about missing out on something new first.
    Give up yer coffee or cigarettes (or whatever) for a couple of weeks, and you'll have the cash to get on Tribble. (probably for TWO months)

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    griffinbh11griffinbh11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So is anyone else having an error message that reads "Unable to start game client: File not found"?
    Also before you start asking... yes I am a lifetime member and yes I asked tech support and they replied on the 25th with this:

"Hello,

Thank you for your response.

We understand that you wanted to log in to Tribble.

As of the moment Tribble is no longer available for access and our only available test server is Redshirt.

Please take note that customer service does not provide support for the test servers and the QA team may perform a "wipe" at any time.

We appreciate your patience and understanding."

Don't they have staff meetings where they give a status update? If so then someone was not paying attention. I am really getting sick and tired of snide remarks and default flowchart answers with "check the forums" at the end (ironic right?) from PWE tech "support" reps... along with their inability to do anything even remotely useful...
  • Options
    romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Paid for my lifetime account. I see that people who haven't and can't get access to tribble seem to have a case of sour grapes... and to say that F2P players have 'dedicated their time to the game and are more valuable' is a bit of a twattish remark... you don't shell out £TRIBBLE if you aren't already dedicated to the point where you think 'Ok, this is worth my hard earned cash because I enjoy it more.' and it's because of those who spend money here that DR is coming out so..... Tribble...Here I come! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Paid for my lifetime account. I see that people who haven't and can't get access to tribble seem to have a case of sour grapes... and to say that F2P players have 'dedicated their time to the game and are more valuable' is a bit of a twattish remark... you don't shell out £TRIBBLE if you aren't already dedicated to the point where you think 'Ok, this is worth my hard earned cash because I enjoy it more.' and it's because of those who spend money here that DR is coming out so..... Tribble...Here I come! :D

As twatish remarks go, yours is up there with them.
    sorry you can not say FTP players are not dedicated by this i do mean silver players and not F2P (apparently there is a difference even there)
    Some silver players have also invested heavily in this game, i know a few that have purchased a lot of zen more than enough to cover a lifetime subscription twice over etc etc.

I honestly can see both sides of this argument and it is my opinion both sides have as much rights to access tribble in that both sides have spent obscene amounts of money on this game.
    What i disagree with is how Cryptic have handled this, they locked it down to gold/lifers with absolutely NO EXPLANATION as to why and you must agree there that this is just poor customer relations.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So is anyone else having an error message that reads "Unable to start game client: File not found"?
    Also before you start asking... yes I am a lifetime member and yes I asked tech support and they replied on the 25th with this:

"Hello,

Thank you for your response.

We understand that you wanted to log in to Tribble.

As of the moment Tribble is no longer available for access and our only available test server is Redshirt.

Please take note that customer service does not provide support for the test servers and the QA team may perform a "wipe" at any time.

We appreciate your patience and understanding."

Don't they have staff meetings where they give a status update? If so then someone was not paying attention. I am really getting sick and tired of snide remarks and default flowchart answers with "check the forums" at the end (ironic right?) from PWE tech "support" reps... along with their inability to do anything even remotely useful...

there is a potential work around for this that has worked for a few people.
    start your game up and log into holodeck

go to options and the display tab
    next to Video Card (restart Required) change the drop down Direct3d 9 (maybe direct3d 9ex will work, did not test this)
    apply the settings then exit the game

copy Gameprefs.Pref
    from \Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata
    to \Star Trek Online\TestServer\Localdata (the other folder that is not the LIVE folder)
    then log into Tribble and HOPEFULLY this will sort the error you are getting, this worked for me and a few others by the looks of it.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    englishnod wrote: »
    As twatish remarks go, yours is up there with them.
    sorry you can not say FTP players are not dedicated by this i do mean silver players and not F2P (apparently there is a difference even there)
    Some silver players have also invested heavily in this game, i know a few that have purchased a lot of zen more than enough to cover a lifetime subscription twice over etc etc.

I honestly can see both sides of this argument and it is my opinion both sides have as much rights to access tribble in that both sides have spent obscene amounts of money on this game.
    What i disagree with is how Cryptic have handled this, they locked it down to gold/lifers with absolutely NO EXPLANATION as to why and you must agree there that this is just poor customer relations.
    Cryptic doesn't need to explain their decisions to anyone. Besides, you will get access. All you need is the patience to wait until that happens. If you don't have the patience, then pay for a one-month subscription and then you can test. Otherwise, you're out of luck until you're allowed to access the server.

Cryptic does this very same thing with their Champions Online test server, but the only difference between this game and that one, is that this game allows for Silver players to access the test server at times, whereas Champions Online's test server is permanently blocked to Silver players.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cryptic doesn't need to explain their decisions to anyone. Besides, you will get access. All you need is the patience to wait until that happens. If you don't have the patience, then pay for a one-month subscription and then you can test. Otherwise, you're out of luck until you're allowed to access the server.

Cryptic does this very same thing with their Champions Online test server, but the only difference between this game and that one, is that this game allows for Silver players to access the test server at times, whereas Champions Online's test server is permanently blocked to Silver players.

Champions online..... Eeeew. Well, I hope they let more people test the update before it goes live, but as for now, there is too little stuff in it to be tested.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Given that Cryptic has all but flat out stated that player feedback is generally ignored, I don't know what difference it makes in what accounts can and can't get on Tribble.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is why nobody respects whales. To claim that big spenders are why DR is coming is a half-truth at best, and limiting Tribble to gold/life players is limiting the available talent pool that is able to test the content.

1) Silver/F2P players are more important to this game than many realize. Sometimes I wonder just how much zen is purchased from players through the dilithium exchange on a daily basis. Just watching the numbers go up and down, I'm willing to bet it's a decent amount. If nobody purchased zen with dilithium, there'd be significantly fewer zen sales overall. Who buys zen with dilithium? Silvers and F2Pers, that's who. I'm one of them.

It may be easy to cast a condescending glance down upon them from atop your high bridge, however they are a critical part of the overall moneymaking machine that enables this game to continue moving forward. What do you think the game would be like if the silver/F2P population left? Spoiler: Sparsely populated. Your queue time would be dreadful, social hubs like ESD would have only a fraction of what they have now, and you'd likely see more cargo ships than actual players in sector space. Loads of fun, I know.

2) Beta testing is something that is best handled by the most competent players and new players alike. In many cases, a high load of players overall will yield the best results, which you're not going to get if you limit it to the high rollers. By closing Tribble to everyone but gold/life players, it leads me to believe that Tribble is really just a "content preview server" rather than an actual test server.

Is that the intent? With fewer people beta testing, I suddenly find myself worrying about the quality of DR's content.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As a LTS member, I believe locking out the test server to Silver members is detrimental, as the more people get to test the bugs, the better for the game. I'd rather see the bugs squashed and killed, than to have a supposedly exclusive access to a server, which is intended to help test the game features to the devs...
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rob2485 wrote: »
    Anyhow, there isn't much to miss by not having access to Tribble at this point. They only put the code branch for DR and the only update since then was a stability update.

Trust me you are not missing anything right now.
    I'm actually not all that interested in getting a peek at it myself; my concerns are more along the lines of what the fellow directly above me outlined--when DR goes live, I just want to see something stable and fun, not a bug/crash-ridden nightmare and horrible trainwreck of broken content.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif