Install Arc
Options

Tribble Access Information

Comments

• Options
    inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Remember how flawlessly this went?

Apparently doing this to Tribble is arbitrary. It was done for Season 8, but not 8.5, 9, or 9.5, nor any seasons prior to my knowledge. Now, suddenly, DR gets this treatment?

For their assumption that an expansion will generate more activity than a season, this makes more sense than Season 8, but still does not explain fully either incident, and is still different from how LoR was handled.

If, however, Tribble is locked down for a long time, people might get a bit more ruffled. This community is not known for its patience with Cryptic.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • Options
    worgausworgaus Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Is there an NDA on the gold members or can we taunt the non-gold members with screenshots of our exploits? :D J/K. From the patch notes I'm guessing only about 1/3rd of the expansion content is available for testing?
  • Options
    ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Did they wipe the characters? Do we have to transfer a new one over?
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    worgaus wrote: »
    Is there an NDA on the gold members or can we taunt the non-gold members with screenshots of our exploits? :D J/K. From the patch notes I'm guessing only about 1/3rd of the expansion content is available for testing?
    I say less than a third is on Tribble... I'd wager it's more like 1/12 of what is to come. It's a very small amount of stuff, really.
    Did they wipe the characters? Do we have to transfer a new one over?
    Nope. No character wipe.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Nope. No character wipe.

Glad to hear it. Thought that might be the "file" my game client couldn't find to start Tribble. I'm still upset I can't access Tribble since the patch.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    inkrunner wrote: »

Apparently doing this to Tribble is arbitrary. It was done for Season 8, but not 8.5, 9, or 9.5, nor any seasons prior to my knowledge. Now, suddenly, DR gets this treatment?

For their assumption that an expansion will generate more activity than a season, this makes more sense than Season 8, but still does not explain fully either incident, and is still different from how LoR was handled.

If, however, Tribble is locked down for a long time, people might get a bit more ruffled. This community is not known for its patience with Cryptic.

The unusual thing is that Delta Rising is looking to be far more substantial than Season 8. 8 gave us the Dyson's Sphere area and the first phase of the Reputation system revamp, but other than that everything worked the same.

This is introducing new advancement systems with specialization, an unprecedented new type of Bridge Officer, and a new type of ship and new tier of ships. This more in line with Legacy of Romulus than it is Season 8 and they've said it will be comparable in size to the last expansion if not bigger.

It makes sense that DR would get this treatment, unless there was a whole lot under the hood in Season 8 that was setting up for 8.5 and 9 that we just wouldn't notice.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    The unusual thing is that Delta Rising is looking to be far more substantial than Season 8.

Of course it is, Delta Rising is an expansion pack, Season 8 was only a season.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Tribble will probably be made available again for all players for a month before the new expansion launches, possibly sooner. I'm sure they have their reasons for only allowing gold members access to the Tribble server for now.

As far as I know there is no non-disclosure agreement for gold members. At least when I logged into Tribble yesterday I didn't see any pop ups about it. In fact, I can't recall any time there was a NDA since I've been playing the game. As far as I know we can freely talk about what we see on the test server. Otherwise it would have been stated by Cryptic in the OP of the thread and they would probably have a forum thread for Tribble feedback that could only be accessed and seen on the forums by gold members.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited August 2014

You seem to have the impression that S8's launch was less smooth than others because of this. The fact is, pretty much no content launches have been smooth since the game went F2P, whether they limit access or not. There are always a lot of bugs, and most of those bugs don't get found until there are 40 instances worth of people running into them on Holodeck. Heck, the least stable thing ever was LoR, and there were more testers on Tribble for that one than I have ever seen once the closed beta ended.

Point being, if the end result is that the bugs don't get found anyway, then they might as well make some money on subs for people that want to get on to test.
  • Options
    realrebelusrealrebelus Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I understand not wanting a ton of players on the new code yet but remember alot of the people who have been testing all the updates have not been subscripers and cryptic will learn this. My main concern might seem petty but they taake tribble away and leave use the crappy step sister for a server that is just a copy of holodeck.
  • Options
    smilegcb2#3786 smilegcb2 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You forget something...

The period of test for Gold is only for one or two weeks, later, the access is not any more restricted. (See before the extension LoR)

So, wait.

Furthermore, you brought out the money? It is normal to have one or two week of contained exclusive before any the world. To take in Third degrees.
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pascaldu76 wrote: »
    (See before the extension LoR)

I think I tested LoR for more then two weeks before the general public was invited...
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I swear I'm experiencing Deja Vu with this thread as I did with LoR.

Funny thing is, they said a bunch of silvers complained before LoR, then when they did open LoR to Silvers they still didn't come in that many greater numbers.

People, I have a simple solution to your problems of not being able to access Tribble. Pay for it. Concider it a reward for having a subscription/life time, and move on. You're not being excluded from Tribble, you're simply being told if you want access earlier then the rest of the silvers you need to simply have a subscription. No one is excluding you, you just have made the personal choice to not pay for a subscription, and so you don't get early access to Tribble. Of course you may not like to hear it's as much your problem as Cryptics, but there it is. Pay for Tribble access, or keep playing the game as it is, but really stop complaining.

Also generally they will eventually open up Tribble to all players a few weeks to a month before Delta goes live. So even if you choose not to get a subscription you won't be totally excluded from Tribble, you just won't get on it as early as those who are paying the game.

Now I hear "But Myajha I pay for the game in Zen." So do the subscribers, so you're not special there either.

Bottom line, you have a choice. Pay for early Tribble access... or wait a bit then come into Tribble when they do open it up to the general public. The choice is yours.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pascaldu76 wrote: »
    You forget something...

The period of test for Gold is only for one or two weeks, later, the access is not any more restricted. (See before the extension LoR)

So, wait.

Furthermore, you brought out the money? It is normal to have one or two week of contained exclusive before any the world. To take in Third degrees.
    The restriction during the LoR testing had nothing to do with Silver vs Gold accounts. Prior to my getting a LTS, I was silver, and I tested LoR from basically Day 1 of testing. The Silver restriction on testing only happened prior to testing for Season 8.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    LoR was an invite only closed beta, but that invite only triggered the option to play as a romulan. Tribble was not closed to none invite's.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The 9.5 patch was the worst, unfinished, bugged, piece-of-**** content they've put out so far, rivaling even the initial release version, and their reaction to all of that is to limit testing again?

If you want to throw some goodies at gold players, let them have exclusive early access to the finished content for a few days, but don't sacrifice the last shred of testing you have going on...
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Let's be honest here, it wouldn't matter how many get on to test and report feedback, as I can almost 100% guarantee that X2 would still go live with all the bugs.

It is more about limiting the server load than anything else. Those that remember LOR, will remember that even with only gold subs being allowed on first, there were still queues to get onto tribble.

The content will still be free to all, and if you really are that impatient to test the new buggy content, stump up the one month sub to do so...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    jimtkirkjimtkirk Member Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    from a business perspective, paying members provide a solid, quantifiable, financial
    platform of stability on which to operate. its a monthly figure they can, with a
    reasonable level of certainly, expect to recieve.

in STO, while f2p players may spend lots of money in game, it should also be noted
    that, so do many gold and lts players, the big difference here is that gold and lts
    players have made an, accountable, commitment to the game, providing this stable
    platform that allows us to have, pretty much, the best f2p model on the market.

there isnt a single business out there that will offer the same level of service, or
    access, to visiting customers, that it does to its paying members. any expectation
    that it should be anything different is just crazy talk. you should be beaten about
    the ears with a large tribble toy and made to wear some kind of sign to warn us
    about your delusional expectations.

so for those with the crazy talk.. here's a tissue, dry your eyes and wait to see what
    will happen in the coming weeks. remember, the forums are forever, the louder you
    whine now, the dafter you'll look later.

Funny how everyone 'forgets' that STO WAS a pay to play game. One that could NOT afford to continue relying on that 'accountable commitment to the game' to exist, let alone expand. People should try to remember that before discounting the financial contribution many silver players make to this game.

As for the closed testing, no big deal. It just frees me up to accept one of the other tests I've been invited to. STO's loss.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jimtkirk wrote: »
    Funny how everyone 'forgets' that STO WAS a pay to play game. One that could NOT afford to continue relying on that 'accountable commitment to the game' to exist, let alone expand. People should try to remember that before discounting the financial contribution many silver players make to this game.

As for the closed testing, no big deal. It just frees me up to accept one of the other tests I've been invited to. STO's loss.

That assessment is a little unfair. STO was operated by Atari, who was in dire financial straits themselves and did not have the funding to prioritize development. STO was making money, it's just that Atari was soaking most of it in operating costs.

Going F2P did indeed improve things, but to say that the game could not continue to exist without it was a stretch; it may not have been able to grow like it has, but it was not in THAT dire of a condition, or PWE would not have bought it.

That being said, I am not going to dis the free players. Without your hard work to farm dilithium for me, I would not be able to buy it, and without you, I would be forced to actually find groups rather than PuG (albeit that is a mixed blessing on some days).
  • Options
    dontliketolosedontliketolose Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The STO guys have made sure that October will be Delta Crashing, instead of launching by blocking access only to Gold members. I've tested the last couple of pre-launches and if I had to pay for the downtime I would have left long ago. Just to give a timeline once STO went F2P I've tested each pre-launch on Tribble and reported so many bugs my most favorite was when LOR failed to have elachi drop down from inside the subspace fortress, took them several fixes before they fixed that and it still had bugs at launch, hehe.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The STO guys have made sure that October will be Delta Crashing, instead of launching by blocking access only to Gold members. I've tested the last couple of pre-launches and if I had to pay for the downtime I would have left long ago. Just to give a timeline once STO went F2P I've tested each pre-launch on Tribble and reported so many bugs my most favorite was when LOR failed to have elachi drop down from inside the subspace fortress, took them several fixes before they fixed that and it still had bugs at launch, hehe.

The problem with all the bugs you kind of allude to, but point the fingers at the wrong spot in your opening. It has nothing to do with how many Silver players get to play on Tribble. As you mentioned you're done all the recent Tribble launches, and they're all failed miserably anyway with bugs you're reported making it into live launches.

So no, your arguement doesn't hold water, by your own admission. The problem is, Cryptic is so set on launching stuff to live on time, they decide to launch full of bugs, even when the bugs have been reported multiple times. They'd rather launch a crappy prodect on time, then delay a week or two and launch a smoother product.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Considering you ignore bug reports on the test server anyway it's no big loss it just gives us another reason not to give you money
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sdkraust wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point, I was apart of the closed beta for LoR yet I'm not apart of the closed beta for this.

That and the fact that the X2 launch is going to be horrible because Cryptic doesn't learn from their mistakes and it's going to be a total lag fest. Every new Season/Expansion and they refuse to fix the continued problems with this game when the solution is really simple.

Yes but with LOR ftp players got the chance to test it. it seems this time it is only golf or lifetime members that get the chance. I don't care as I haven't been on Tribble since the crafting update to see what a load of rubbish it was. So testing X2 is not something I am wanting to do as it is just a waste of time as Cryptic do not listen to feedback anyway otherwise some of the bugs that ere on tribble would not have made it to holodeck
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sui2ksui2k Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    srsly, why are you crying about the "only gold members" feature right now? I don't get it. Of course they give the paying Customer a bit back and give them this early testing feature before they open the tribble for everyone else.

Hey we are paying each month / lifetime for this game, why are we not allowed to exclusive test some new features before everyone else does !? atleast give us some benifits from our gold status.

You dont want to pay monthly fee, good it's okay! U wanna test the new build fine .. it's okay .. but srsly WAIT until mid. September .. i bet they open tribble again a couple of weeks before release
  • Options
    englishnodenglishnod Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    <scratches head>

Why does it say Tribble Test Server UNLOCKED, when they actually locked players out of it?

<<facepalm>>

It means that the POST has been unlocked in the context of that whole blog post, for example the Intelligence Briefing at http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6007573-intelligence-briefing some of it is still "restricted"

Of course this can be taken completely the wrong way and has been by the looks of it ;)
    Probably not the most intelligent move by cryptic when you take into consideration the forum anger at locking down tribble to gold members only.

Regrettably cryptic staff seem to be lacking in the common sense department but that seems to account for a lot of the devs in the game industry, I do not see locking down tribble as a big issue let the goldies have their go first etc but what DOES annoy me is that cryptic made a forum post saying it was locked down WITHOUT actually giving and explanation why.
    Is it really to hard to give an explanation? hence lacking in the common sense department ;)
  • Options
    l9of20l9of20 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As of 8/21/14, the Tribble test server can only be accessed by Gold account members. More information about this will be available later.

All accounts are able to access our other test server, Redshirt, at this time.

Way to ruin everyones day there Craptic. I liked being able to go over to the tribble server and playing around on there. Being able to test out the upcoming changes. Since when did this become DC Universe Online?? Especially since they do that the exact same way. "Only PAID members can access our Test Servers" :mad::mad:
    C&C of the Federation Outsiders
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sui2k wrote: »
    srsly, why are you crying about the "only gold members" feature right now? I don't get it. Of course they give the paying Customer a bit back and give them this early testing feature before they open the tribble for everyone else.

Hey we are paying each month / lifetime for this game, why are we not allowed to exclusive test some new features before everyone else does !? atleast give us some benifits from our gold status.

You dont want to pay monthly fee, good it's okay! U wanna test the new build fine .. it's okay .. but srsly WAIT until mid. September .. i bet they open tribble again a couple of weeks before release

FFS: read some of the Posts in this thread before posting, plz.

Grant the Gold crowd some true early access to the finisihed X2 content or stick some other goodie up their TRIBBLE, but don't cut down even more on the already ****ty quality control by limiting access to the test realm. The only results you'll get are going to be more unidentified bugs, even less balancing and even less time to fix them.

If they want to reduce load on tribble, grant access to Players who have given good and useful feedback in the past.