test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Competition! #DCT

repetitiveepicrepetitiveepic Member Posts: 6,549 Arc User
The Druk Charitable Trust is endowing a competition for the best foundry mission that allows the player to participate in the glories of Gul Darheel, the Hero of Gallitep.

The grand prize for a an exceptional mission is 100,000,000 EC.

Mission Statement: Cardassian fans are a very underserved population in STO. The developers have not focused yet on Cardassian content, and so fans of the Cardassians are left with meagre pickings.

The foundry exists so that creative players can make content to supplement the content in the game. In this spirit of filling in the gaps, I hereby endow a prize of One Hundred Million Energy Credits to the person who makes an exceptional mission commemorating the Cardassian hero Gul Darheel and the Gallitep incident.

This is planned to be the first a series of Cardassian Heritage Endowment missions, which will seek to correct a record twisted and falsified by bajoran terrorists and their venal federation accomplices.

Players will be able to go back in time and witness first hand that the bajorans fabricated tales of oppression and atrocity. In every case, the Cardassians were acting to fight bajoran terrorism and protect innocent life. All while trying to bring order and progress to a violent, backwards, superstitious world.

Detailed guidelines will follow, but the outline is this:

The player must assist Gul Darheel in crushing the bajoran terrorist rebellion at Gallitep mine, and eventually causing the release of toxic gasses to prevent the violence from spreading and innocent lives being lost, and then escaping before bajoran terrorist reinforcements arrive in force.

After playing this mission, a captain should have learned that the accounts given by the fanatic terrorist bajorans and the severely mentally ill former clerk were falsified to cast aspersions on the glorious Cardassian people. The only way to prevent the loss of a lot of innocent lives was to cause the Gallitep mining reactor to go critical and suppress the bloodthirsty rebellion in the area before it spread. Many Cardassians gave their lives for the greater good.

The mission will require the player to have Cardassian allies and to kill bajoran terrorists.

It should have dialog options that reflect Gul Darheel's typically canon Cardassian views about the way bajorans treated cardassians during the occupation. The purpose of this mission is to approximate the support and glory that Gul Darheel enjoyed among his people in Star Trek: Deep Space 9, the people who knew the truth about what happened.

If you wish to debate Gul Darheel or the Cardassian occupation of Bajor, or any other issue relating to these issues, I have created a thread in the appropriate forum which can be found here > http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18545461

If you wish to enter this contest, or have any questions about it, please post in the thread and I will try to find your post and get back to you. I know there is a lot of static in here, so if we can't connect, please ask after me in doffjobs, TheTradingChannel, NoP Public Service or on ESD.

For reference please see http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gallitep_labor_camp and DS9 Episode 1x19 "Duet."

Supplementary reading:
Dukat gives Sisko a thinly-veiled warning about allowing Bajoran thirst for violence to create tension between the Federation and the Cardassians. He closes the channel with the warning that the Cardassians will hold Sisko responsible should "those Bajoran hatemongers get their hands on" Marritza.
Odo tells Dukat that the man in his custody has admitted to being Darhe'el, shocking and enraging Dukat. He accuses Odo of a plot to discredit the Cardassians, and Odo suggests that access to Darhe'el's files would prove Dukat's case. Dukat relents, and gives Odo limited access to the files
After reminiscing for a moment, Dukat declines Odo access to the files, but notes that they would only tell Odo what Dukat himself is telling him: Gul Darhe'el is dead, that he is buried underneath one of Cardassia's largest military monuments, and that Dukat himself attended his funeral.
Darhe'el was back on Cardassia being awarded the Proficient Service Medallion
free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Alrighty after spending a bit destroying this entire thread to rebuild it (fun times) and issuing warnings I'm back to square one with this thread.

Many people have reported it and I understand the reasons. However let me point something out - This is a game folks and the incident in question IS considered canon with not much to be told about it. I'm sorry people take offense to it, but telling the story of a Cardie during the occupation is an interesting story arc. Do I agree with the comments people made? Sure I get your feelings on the subject, but this isn't real life nor is it about any situations based in real life.

This is about a fictional place, in a fictional time, in a fictional part of the galaxy. So no, at this point I will not be closing this thread but I will slam down hard on any more trolling, flaming. You may debate about the contest that's fine, but derailing the thread, flaming, trolling etc is not going to be tolerated.

As for you repetitiveepic - There better be a link to a screenshot verifying that YOU have the 100m EC within the next 24 hours or you'll get a warning (and probably more) for starting a flame war on the forums ;)

And no, I'm not giving you my handle in game to verify.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm going to be honest, Askray. This is a very big mistake.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,105 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dammit ash... I just typed out stuff....

Short version: If it's a commission then X mission would be designed for your "entertainment" So i'm going to assume you have a spoon head character with a Galor and so on?

If so I can avoid all the time travel / Feds slaughtering Bajorans blabber.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    askray wrote: »

As for you repetitiveepic - There better be a link to a screenshot verifying that YOU have the 100m EC within the next 24 hours or you'll get a warning (and probably more) for starting a flame war on the forums ;)

And no, I'm not giving you my handle in game to verify.

edit.

/10chars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Gonna be some angry trolls now that the thread is back up.

I would love to see some Cardassian foundry missions, however I don't need the EC, and am too lazy to create my own. :(

Hopefully someone steps up and gets some cardy content out there.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yes, I do. My main character in STO on whom I have completed all the reps, obtained fleet gear, etc, is a Cardassian Alien KDF with a Galor called...

http://i.imgur.com/7eV9kg3.jpg

Let's see the 100 million ECs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    There are screenshots of two of my toons, the ferengi and the cardassian, in reply to askray's post above, both display EC sufficient to pay the prize.

I can provide many references from my long time as a Ferengi Merchant on STO for my character with respect to paying the prize, and I would even be amenable to an escrow system if it came to it.

I see. Impressive numbers there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Gonna be some angry trolls now that the thread is back up.

I would love to see some Cardassian foundry missions, however I don't need the EC, and am too lazy to create my own. :(

Hopefully someone steps up and gets some cardy content out there.

Do you even realize what this person is asking?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,105 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

A Cardassian themed mission (KDF side) that takes place during the "Occupation of Bajor" set in 2357 at the Gallitep labor camp on Bajor.

While it's a interesting challenge, I think it would be wise to avoid several of things listed in the first quote of this page.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gallitep_labor_camp
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    A Cardassian themed mission (KDF side) that takes place during the "Occupation of Bajor" set in 2357 at the Gallitep labor camp on Bajor.

While it's a interesting challenge, I think it would be wise to avoid several of things listed in the first quote of this page.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gallitep_labor_camp

I'm pretty sure mentioning half the stuff in the Kira quote is agaisnt the EULA anyway
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure mentioning half the stuff in the Kira quote is agaisnt the EULA anyway

This right here...Anyone who can support that..has some issues..
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Please don't start this up again.

Would you like to make your own prize for anti-cardassian missions? Maybe one where you help the bajorans "liberate" gallitep? Contact me in game and I will provide a grant toward prize money for you.

You don't like this, I understand, but surely this isn't the proper forum to criticize it... ask after me in doffjobs, ttc, nop ps, or esd and I promise I will debate this with you as long as you want.

Since you seem to have the diametrically opposed view on this that I do, I invite you to help me judge the missions when the time comes. I would value your perspective.

I want nothing to do with your money or judging your contest.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Did you even read Askray's post about trolling? Pretty sure it applies to baiting as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Maybe one where you help the bajorans "liberate" gallitep?

Why is liberate in scare quotes here? Are you saying their liberation wasn't a liberation from this:
    Darhe'el was one of the most brutal overseers of any labor camp on Bajor. Innocent Bajorans were executed on a regular basis, but not before they were tortured and humiliated. In many cases, Bajorans were forced to dig their own graves -- literally. As his reign of terror continued, Darhe'el's hatred of the Bajorans and his zealous view that his actions were justified in the name of the Cardassian Empire led to outright genocide. On more than one occasion, he gave his men very simple orders: to kill Bajoran scum. When they returned, they were covered in blood, but in his eyes they were clean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Did you even read Askray's post about trolling? Pretty sure it applies to baiting as well.

Please refer me to the section which states that sharing an opinion about something is trolling.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Please refer me to the section which states that sharing an opinion about something is trolling.

That would be a valid statement if you were sharing an opinion with me, rather than trying to flame bait me.

Go read the section about trolling again. I will not waste anymore of this thread's space by responding to you anymore.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I do not flame bait people.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    askray wrote: »
    You may debate about the contest that's fine...

Ok. I will expand on why I think this isn't just a bad idea, but actually a terrible idea, and an offensive one.

Let's grab some quotes from the much linked Memory Alpha Page regarding this labor camp.

"Murder was just the end of the fun for them; first came the humiliation. Mothers ***** in front of their children, husbands beaten until their wives couldn't recognize them, old people buried alive because they couldn't work anymore."
    - Kira Nerys, describing Gallitep

Gallitep was a forced labor camp on the planet Bajor that was run by Gul Darhe'el during the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor. Conditions in the camp were considered to be brutal and hostile.

Darhe'el was one of the most brutal overseers of any labor camp on Bajor. Innocent Bajorans were executed on a regular basis, but not before they were tortured and humiliated. In many cases, Bajorans were forced to dig their own graves -- literally.

So. What you are saying Askray is that requesting that someone make a mission glorifying ; **** of mothers in front of their children, Beatings of prisoners, burning the elderly alive, executions, and so on and so on, is totally fine.

Going farther , you are saying that asking to make the heroes (the PCs) the people committing these atrocities is also fine.

Basically the OP is asking for a Concentration Camp simulator. This is insanely offensive, and it's being allowed?

Yeah, I understand this logic ... NOT.

Apparently it is fine to ask for or commision a War Crimes/Concentration Camp sim, but if the OP was about Disco Balls or T5 Connies, it would get closed.

Seriously, Askray.
    Seriously.
    Try and defend that position.

I like you man.
    But allowing this to continue is a mistake.

In short :
    Using the Forums to commision a War Crimes/Concentration Camp Simulator = Just Fine
    Talk about T5 Connie or Disco = Not Fine

What is wrong with this world?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You privilege the voice and opinions of the bajorans, as a Cardassian role player, I do not.

I privilege the voice and opinions of the Cardassians.

Reports of atrocities by cardassians were mostly fabricated to make Cardassia look bad and curry sympathy and advantage from the federation's naive do-gooders.

The end result of this treacherousness was a catastrophe for the Alpha quadrant.

Wow, he is trying to use RP as a response to this...Give it a rest..
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    As canon as it may be, There are still many issues regarding this kind of content,

If I were a player, coming across this mission without knowing what the mission will involve, I would leave the mission and 1 star it for having the player character be involved in Warcrimes, mass murder and Genocide, what I believe to be inappropriate content.
    There are contextual scenarios to show this kind of material, But i've never seen a protagonist being involved in this kind of thing, with the excpetion of obvious propaganda films/games.

This game is played by a wide demagraphic, and if an author chooses to describe or attempt to show the camp as the Memory alpha entry details, there is a real possibility, however statistically small, for somebody to be personally effected by this kind of content. Something which as an author I would be appalled at the thought of.

There is a very good reason that Cryptics portrayal of the Cardassian Union is very vague, and that they have been replaced with an All new Democratic Govenrment, and the player character is never knowingly involved in warcrimes.
    The same reason the Player is not a Tal Shiar Agent, the game does not allow you to be the villain, and I personally, and I hope the majority of the foundry community, will not be involved in a project to indulge in this kind of depraved attempt to play as a Concentration Camp Guard.

Not for enough EC or goods in kind to fill the in game limit of 1,000,000,000

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm running out of comments to describe how pathetic this is.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Is it even possible to commit murder in ground maps in the foundry?

What I mean is, is it possible to have adversaries who are noncombatants?

Killing armed bajoran terrorist rebels is not murder. As I understand it, these adversaries will be attacking the player, and will kill him if he does not fight back.

I know very little about the foundry, so I ask in all sincerity, is this correct or incorrect?

Oh I could do it, I could easily have Armed Cardassian murder unarmed Prisoners If I wanted too, I could even contrive ways for the Player character to do it

But I won't, and most assuredly l won't knowingly tell anybody else how

Incidentally, I've been working on content involving the CDF and the True Way, I've figured out how to make the True way do evil things as part of the mission, Difference here is the player character is supposed to stop it happening

Oh and "You agree to review content in the context of appropriateness for all ages, and for violation of the End User License Agreement (EULA) for author that can be found on the Star Trek Online web site. The other players of the game are relying on your judgment to help identify inappropriate content."

I'd suggest Anyone who passes this through reviewing isn't honoring the agreement they clicked away on

This discussion has been closed.