test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No Upgrade Path from Tier 5.x to 6

Comments

• daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Well it is not going to waste. Basically, you get a leg up on grinding MK IV OP consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if they increase the levels on crafting also eventually.

No, I don't think so. They won't have a reason to do bonus weekends like the one going now. The slower it goes the more "content" they can pretend they have.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's one of those things where - well - it's just difficult to see what's going on. Imagine you're standing at a crosswalk with twins.

TwinA: Go!
    TwinB: Stop!
    Go, Stop, Go, Stop, Go, Stop!

Etc, etc, etc...you get the idea.

That's what it feels like with a bunch of the stuff that was said by Cryptic. I'm not a fan of binary thinking, but the stuff they say is pretty binary. It's either 0 or it's 1, cause if you do 0 then you're not doing 1 and if you're doing 1 you're not doing 0.

Either the 0 or the 1 has to be a lie, not necessarily an outright lie...could be one of those playing loosey-goosey with things. Being vague...being cryptic...so that they can argue that they weren't lying and folks took it the wrong way.

In the end, it feels like a bunch of the T5 Connie folks got together and made a deal with a demon so everybody else could feel some of their pain if you get what I'm saying..."Oh, you like a certain ship and want to fly it at end game? Yeah, no - no T6 Guramba for you, man!"
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Why play with Tier 5 stuff if Tier 6 is newer and better?

Why Play with that other T5 Ship when this New T5 Ship is newer and better*?
    You see the issue?

Yes, but people freaking out and having making TRIBBLE up, unfortunately, isn't against the posting rules, so, we'll just have to put up with them.

*Better being a 99% subjective term that apparently doesn't impact the play decisions of the vast majority of STOs players, since when those of us who play more than just the forums log in see a large variety of ships being used, and by the fact that for the entire run of STO Cruisers have been by far the most popular ship type, despite the forums thinking they are terrible for the majority of the games existence.
  • chiefbrexchiefbrex Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I can't address the incorrect information in this thread specifically, so I will just humbly ask that you be patient and wait for the dev blogs that come out. They will have all the correct information.

What's the point? We all know you guys at Cryptic are lying through your teeth. You say one thing in the dev blogs, then what he's Tribble is somewhat like what it is described, and by the time it hits holodeck, it's NOTHING like what was promised.

So, humbly, we ask you to stop feeding us BS. Get off your high horses, and actually USE PLAYER FEEDBACK and suggestions. Otherwise, this game is on it's last leg.

And Snoggy - people don't just play ships because they're the best of the best. Sometimes, people choose to stick with a particular ship class, because it happens to be their favorite.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    chiefbrex wrote: »
    And Snoggy - people don't just play ships because they're the best of the best. Sometimes, people choose to stick with a particular ship class, because it happens to be their favorite.

That only lasts until someone in their group or fleet finally gets around to posting their DPS parse in a chat and suddenly they realize how horrible their supposedly "still competitive" ship has been the entire time.

If Tier 5 is going to be as good at Tier 6 they wouldn't be calling it Tier 6.

So there will be hell to pay. For the devs. Mostly from people who want to fly things like their Defiants and Avengers and Lockbox ships and the like.

Me? I have a sandwich. So I don't mind that everyone else is going to be hungry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You folks do know that this is the exact same scenario as came about when LoR went live, with it's Romulan ships with their singularity powers right? Most especially when they brought out the Scimitar, which some claimed rendered every other ship obsolete. Yet I still see plenty of other ships, and myself tend to spend more time on my fed human than any of my Romulans....

All we know so far is that the big difference between T5 and T6 ships is going to be that the T6 ships will have "special powers", which really is no different to singularity powers getting added etc etc etc. Until we know more, we're just repeating an argument that has been had many times before whenever new ships are added. Just like when they added the Kumari, then the Scimitar, then the Avenger and Mogh.... Look how that turned out.
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I just have one, quite simple question:

I exclusively like to fly canon ships. Will I be able to fly a Nebula, Akira, Vor'Cha and Mogai and be FULLY competitive at level 60 in PvE AND PvP (i.e. as "competitive" as I am now flying such vessels)?

No (i.e. I'll always be lacking a certain functionality, some slight edge)? --> Goodbye.
    Yes (even if I have to buy some upgrade module for Zen)? --> I'm in, after all they have to monetize the game somewhere.
  • kchundakchunda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kagasensei wrote: »

I exclusively like to fly canon ships. Will I be able to fly a Nebula, Akira, Vor'Cha and Mogai and be FULLY competitive at level 60 in PvE AND PvP (i.e. as "competitive" as I am now flying such vessels)?

No (i.e. I'll always be lacking a certain functionality, some slight edge)? --> Goodbye.
    Yes (even if I have to buy some upgrade module for Zen)? --> I'm in, after all they have to monetize the game somewhere.

Same here. It's the only reason I'm playing this game in the first place. But even if I'm lacking some cutting edge functionality, I'd consider it a challenge to remain competitive in a T6 world with a T5 ship.

Best case scenario IMHO. 90-95% competitive I'd be fine with.

P.S. I do have to say I was looking forward to promoting Boffs so they could command the ships I have just sitting there.
    Addicted: January 2012

batlh QIH 'ej!
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited August 2014
    I paid hundred of millions of ec for mk XII purple consoles then they released Fleet consoles so I had to delete those consoles.When I said that i should not grind again for the best gear every PvE hero called me entitled ....now its everyone's turn to feel the same thing as I did when i had to delete my stuffs I wasted my time for.This time I will be laughing.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    How they dar
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    edited August 2014
    gaevsman wrote: »
    How they dar
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The way to enjoy STO is to understand that after every update it is a Triage situation:

You log onto your Toons in a drastically changed world and do the best you can to work towards stability, again.

Rinse and Repeat.
  • jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have a theory about T6: That it is really powerful... however, you cannot take them to any PvP queues or zones.
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    Personally, I think they should be doing this with all the popular ships like the Galaxy, Prometheous, etc. Update their stats, give them a new 2410 skin option. A lot of people still want to play those ships rather than see them slide into oblivion.

If they are getting money from that, I can't see the problem for Cryptic and its less work for them and gives players the option to play their beloved older ships competitively.

Unfortunately we dont know if most of the T6 ships are brand spanking new to the game or if a considerable amount of them are T6 versions of the T5 and T5.5 Faction specific ships.

I would assume they wouldnt be stupid enough to leave out the current favorites. If they sold well theyll more then likely be apart of the Expansion. If not theyll be coming to the Cstore in the months following the Expansions release.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    Unfortunately we dont know if most of the T6 ships are brand spanking new to the game or if a considerable amount of them are T6 versions of the T5 and T5.5 Faction specific ships.

I would assume they wouldnt be stupid enough to leave out the current favorites. If they sold well theyll more then likely be apart of the Expansion. If not theyll be coming to the Cstore in the months following the Expansions release.

So in the best case, we get to purchase them at Tier 6 for full price? That's not much better than not being able to convert to T6 at all.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited August 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    So in the best case, we get to purchase them at Tier 6 for full price? That's not much better than not being able to convert to T6 at all.

Agreed. But we know how these things work. They arent going to add something to this game unless they can nudge us towards the CStore or make it painfully obvious the Cstore is our only hope.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    ...something new that doesn't suck, you mean. Sure, this expansion will have good moments. But I have VERY little faith in its overall quality.

Well, we will see, but i like what i see so far, i'm ready for october!!, but i'm the kind of person who loves changes.. even drastic ones.. :P
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kagasensei wrote: »

All I can say is you'll be farther behind in the gap than you're now flying ships like the Vor'cha and Nebula...how far behind who knows with tier 5.75.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm quite sure you guys are wrong. I think its going to be like this:

-all ships upgradeable to T6 base stats as in hull/shield/num bo slots/...
    -only thing different between upgraded old ones and the new T6 ships will be that the new T6 ship will have the new bo type in its layout while none of the upgraded old ones get them

This way the total difference depends on what skills the new bo type has. Sure it might be just that the new boffs have captain lvl or something but i really hope its like i described above cause it would be fair and easy and could be balanced solely by adjusting the new bo type skills
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well I've always considered my Fleet K'Tinga to be something of a support ship as per the pathetic DPS that I could pull from her vie purple Mk xll weapons and blue Mk xl weapons consoles .

I guess after X2 I will have to update her role to rear guard ... :o
    edited August 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Well I've always considered my Fleet K'Tinga to be something of a support ship as per the pathetic DPS that I could pull from her vie purple Mk xll weapons and blue Mk xl weapons consoles .

I guess after X2 I will have to update her role to rear guard ... :o

Fleet Supply Convoy Class is the new designation.
    edited August 2014
    Fleet Supply Convoy Class is the new designation.

Hey I use my Chimera as a "currier ship" .
    I have it on a useless toon that has 9 in Driver Coil & a Borg engine (no weapons) and I run with him the Tour of the Universe from time to time ... :)

As for my K'Tinga ... yeah ... it's either "rear guard" or "innocent bystander" ... , depending on how fast she explodes in T6 content ... :P
    edited August 2014
    I can't address the incorrect information in this thread specifically, so I will just humbly ask that you be patient and wait for the dev blogs that come out. They will have all the correct information.

While my first impulse is to apologise for our behavior , as I'm sure the tidbits from STLV were meant to excite and intrigue us , and as always , most of us do appreciate interacting with most of the the Devs -- I also have to point out that this reaction (and yes , even the overreaction) + the concerns expressed here are not out of the blue .

I'll also add that your company has a persistent habit of doing / announcing / updating things on a Thursday and then waiting until Monday at best to address any player concern .
    That leaves again and again 4-5 days minimum until something is said on any controversial topic .

Perhaps this could be worked on , so that future speculation , misunderstandings and concerns can be addressed faster and thus generating more positive interaction with your players . :)
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Welcome to the Forums. People are free to share their ideas, speculations and concerns. Dont like it. Dont read it.

We all are different. Just wait it out and see.

For one I'm not worried since my lv40 freebie ship can handle anything they can throw at it. So it won't be much different at lv60.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I can't help but feel most of the player base will feel just at least a little annoyed by this move. Will find out when the threads start rolling in when they are released. Not like anyone from Cryptic will care, all about the money.

This isn't a good idea IMO but then again, this isn't their worse, so, I say the Devs they are improving.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
    edited August 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    Not like anyone from Cryptic will care, all about the money.
    Why else would they focus on Voyager? It isn't compelling, it had very few good moments in its 7 - year lifetime, and it's entirely disposable.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    While my first impulse is to apologise for our behavior , as I'm sure the tidbits from STLV were meant to excite and intrigue us , and as always , most of us do appreciate interacting with most of the the Devs -- I also have to point out that this reaction (and yes , even the overreaction) + the concerns expressed here are not out of the blue .

I'll also add that your company has a persistent habit of doing / announcing / updating things on a Thursday and then waiting until Monday at best to address any player concern .
    That leaves again and again 4-5 days minimum until something is said on any controversial topic .

Perhaps this could be worked on , so that future speculation , misunderstandings and concerns can be addressed faster and thus generating more positive interaction with your players . :)

Heartily seconded.

Far too often, the issue is with the information flow not the hard work of the devs.

There seems to be no capacity to learn from previous experience there.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    Why else would they focus on Voyager? It isn't compelling, it had very few good moments in its 7 - year lifetime, and it's entirely disposable.

Well to be honest, it was the playerbase that voted Voyager on that poll a year or so ago. So if you're gonna' blame anyone - blame the playerbase, or at least the part that logged in here and participated in the poll.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Well to be honest, it was the playerbase that voted Voyager on that poll a year or so ago. So if you're gonna' blame anyone - blame the playerbase, or at least the part that logged in here and participated in the poll.

Alternatively, blame those who didn't log in and vote in the poll, as they're just as much to blame for the outcome, not least as there were probably a lot more who didn't vote at all than who voted for all of the options combined. ;)

Too often people don't bother saying anything, until it's far too late.