test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Say goodbye to the exchange!

seathemacseathemac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
It's about to go belly up and here's why.

Every single energy credit in every single account originated from selling/discarding unwanted trash or a duty officer assignment reward.
There is no other source of EC in the game.
The vast majority of EC in circulation is from the sale of unwanted Engines, Deflectors, Shields and Warp cores.
Now that these have been devalued so drastically there's going to be far less EC being injected into the system and the paltry increase in the value of weapons with this patch won't take up the slack.
Conversely, the rate of valuable loot drops (stuff that people actually want) has dried up to a trickle.
Anyone that gets that 1 in a million Mk XI purple phaser relay from a Gorn Minefield run wants a lot of EC for it naturally because it's so rare (6 Million EC last time I looked).

So we have rampant inflation due to scarcity and stringent cuts in rates of income.
With every patch and update players are having their EC income throttled and seeing the gear they need to play the game properly become more and more unattainable.

Cryptic are either very short sighted or deliberately trying to kill off EC as an in-game currency.
Either way the exchange is doomed if it continues as it is.
Post edited by seathemac on

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was hoping the crafting system would provide a much needed player economy, but nooooooooooo.

We can't have nice things.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Eh, I predict that the prices will start going down instead of up. Now that the EC has dropped, players who think they can sell their stuff for exuberant prices will either have to bite the bullet and drop the prices or hope one of the multimillionaire players will get to it.
  • Options
    firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't see the situation this dark. The EC was inflating for a long time, mainly because of the vast amounts of EC generated by players emptying the trash (shields, deflectors), and because there isn't a good sink for EC except the exchange. now one problem is solved with the loot price correction, the EC generated is far less per day than before. now we only need a good sink, where players can buy stuff directly for EC, ship or stuff, because the EC generated per day is still much more than the EC "destroyed" per day.

I also don't worry about the supply parts, with the new R&D system in play. Also, if the Exchange prices normalize for weapon boxes, more and more people will gamble and open then, thus more and more shiny weapons will be for you to buy.

So chill out, and wait for the market to stabilize :cool:
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think it's going exactly the way Cryptic want it to go ... The only realistic way now to be able to afford most endgame gear, is to sell endgame gear.

i.e. You have to sell a Lockbox item to be able to afford a different Lockbox item, and the only way to get a Lockbox items easily and quickly, is to buy Zen with cash ...

Which is just what Cryptic (or more likely PWE) wants. The problem is not that the exchange will fail, as there will always be stuff on their, the problem is going to be a declining player population, because new players will not be able to afford all those shinies, and unless they are "rich kids" they just won't bother.

The new Crafting system will somewhat alleviate this problem, but Cryptic will need to make it way more accessible to new players than it currently is, or watch as new player after new player abandons the game in disgust.

What's needed are EC sinks that are worthwhile, to lower the need for those Lockbox items, such as "Consumed on use" items. For instance a "Plasmonic Leech" that lasts for one hour, or "Hull Regen Nanites" that lasts for one hour. Also things like Photonic Carrier Pets that are viable endgame, purchasable from a vendor for EC.

Cryptic also need to have a good long look at the B2A, BoE and BoP mechanic in game. Many things need to be made Account bound or even Bind on Equip, that are currently Bind on Pickup, most notably ANYTHING that can be crafted should be Bind on Equip.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The vast majority of EC in circulation is from the sale of unwanted Engines, Deflectors, Shields and Warp cores.

I'll have to disagree with this statement.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not sure if it's goodbye to the exchange but it's goodbye to sanity. I'm going to assume the price of MK II AP tac consoles (white) has stabilized since last night, or at least hope it has. Cheapest I seen was 95k with some going on well over 200k. Not that they were selling. :eek:
  • Options
    atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I agree with the OP... I'm forced to do all type of strange methods to get EC now. LOL. I think this is a testing phase. I'll log onto STO when it's over.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    atlantra wrote: »
    I agree with the OP... I'm forced to do all type of strange methods to get EC now. LOL. I think this is a testing phase. I'll log onto STO when it's over.

You'll have to wait a long, loooooong time... Ker'rat will be emptier without u, less targets :P
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• Options
    edited July 2014
    there are a lot of ways to get EC, all you need is a little base amount, like a couple millions, patience and some luck.
    <3 Defiant <3

• Options
    admiralah1admiralah1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Y'know, it's not like this is a set-in-stone change. They can always adjust the prices again if they see too much inflation or deflation of the value of EC.

Plus, your economic forecast leaves out those of us who have been playing for almost five years now who have vast stores of EC we don't have anything to buy with because we have all the stuff we already want.

I'm not really worried. The prices of more commonly in-demand items will go down due to a lack of newly created EC, and the price of very rare items like lockbox ships will stabilize based on how many are available through old lockbox promotions and the sale of new lockbox sihps.

Also, don't forget that crafting materials will generate demand. Already there is a thriving market for rarer mats and mat packs from doing STFs.

The end is not nigh.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    admiralah1 wrote: »
    Also, don't forget that crafting materials will generate demand. Already there is a thriving market for rarer mats and mat packs from doing STFs.

yep, if you're lucky, and get a pack or purple mats, you can nail more than a million for one PvE, or you can sell the whole box if you don't want to gamble.
    <3 Defiant <3

• Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    seathemac wrote: »

Every single energy credit in every single account originated from selling/discarding unwanted trash or a duty officer assignment reward.
    Now that these have been devalued so drastically there's going to be far less EC being injected into the system and the paltry increase in the value of weapons with this patch won't take up the slack.....

Though in reality, I'm not seeing this... Even with the change in prices of common 'Vender Fodder' I'm not seeing any drop of income from turning in Item Drops. Its still easy to make 300K to 500K from the items collected from running just a few STFs... If anything, the game needs more EC sinks to bring more value to it...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,177 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    The Exchange is not dieing, its adjusting to the shift in the economy.
    Plasmonic Leach consoles STILL going for 29mil+ -_-
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Exchange is not dieing, its adjusting to the shift in the economy.
    Plasmonic Leach consoles STILL going for 29mil+ -_-

that's because key prices are still high. all lockbox and lobi related items will become cheaper in time IF key prices finally start to drop.
    <3 Defiant <3

• Options
    lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just treat it like the stock market, they have highs and lows. Watch what sells one week and adjust to it to compensate for the trends and demands, I figured out how this was possible when I earned my Ferengi ship set and could buy discounted items from space vendors. The Cargo ship near Wolf 359 sells them the cheapest, and always has since I began to play. This was around the time the Romulan stuff was introduced, and people needed commodities, mainly Shield Generators. I bought small and sold big and made plenty of profits. Don't just rely on big items, small items can work even better some times to gain you that needed spending cash!!

This is the Star Trek universe, think like a Ferengi if you wish to be rich, and think like a Klingon if you wish to be powerful! But thinking like a Star Fleet officer will only leave you poor and open to negotiation! Rofl! :rolleyes:
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,177 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    OI! Starfleet Officer here! And I've actually gotten my Regent by playing the Dilithium Exchange! XP

Anyways... Things will settle down. Just give it time.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    OI! Starfleet Officer here! And I've actually gotten my Regent by playing the Dilithium Exchange! XP

Anyways... Things will settle down. Just give it time.

lolz, I love picking on the uniform people! I never could manage to make the Dilithium thing work for me yet. You have the advantage to me on that one!

http://indieminded.com/wp-content/uploads/scottys-dilithium-crystals.jpg
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well... keeping an eye on prices helps. Its currently around 158 or so DL for 1 Zen.
    Back before the last DL explosion, you could get about 100 Zen or so just with a single day's worth of refined DL. As I'm a straight F2P player now... I gotta keep an eye on the DL Exchange if I want the shiny.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To me it won't matter if it came down. Most of the time I try to sell something, I got a better deal sending it to the vendor. And then the prices was ridiculous for me to purchase. Only time I bought stuff is for the lockboxes items that was put on the exchange. Like mirror ships, gear, etc. Then I would splurge to get those since they are different and I could use them.

I didn't use the exchange much to start with. Since I already have good gear for my characters and ships.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Imho the recent changes are good for the exchange, some stuff there used to be absolutely overpriced (MK VI purple warpcores for 2x millions a few days ago? lol! thanks to crafting it's now possible to counter the price trolls in the exchange).

And you should not generate your entire income from junk, sold to vendors (see ->inflation), there are far more options to earn money (in another thread several options have been listed, like contraband [believe me, contraband wil be a HOT item the next 7.5 days] or the recent lohlunat event, there are many many gaps in the market, waiting for you to take the opportunity)

And i never understood why people still pay ridiculous prices for outdated consoles,like 6 Mil for a MK XI console.
    If you don't have a fleet, or a fleet below T1 in Spire/Mine look for a nice fleet with a t3 research spire / mine, ask if you can run a provisions project (21k dilithium and some minor stuff like fleetmarks for TEN requisitions, + some k dilithium / fleetcredits for the final console, thats a full set of 4-5 for less than 10 million (using the dilithium -> zen -> Key conversion, i was able to help a few KDF fellows that way!).

If your fleet does have some own provisions: even better! (T1 operationsSpire and/ Or T1 Mine needed) join the Channel NOP Public Service and ask for a invite to that specific facility, there you have access to all their goodies, but pay with the Requisitions of your Fleet.

that's because key prices are still high. all lockbox and lobi related items will become cheaper in time IF key prices finally start to drop.

And that's another small problem we have, it seems there are some players who are specialized in "scamming the ship right from the box" , after i got my last 2 Lockbox ships (and the corresponding system message) i recieved a number of tells with offers to buy the Ships, usually 20-60% of the exchange value, i became suspicious when i noticed that a few accound handles were the same! As long as these players have a profit margin of several hundred % it doesnt matter to them whether the price of a Key is 2 or 3 million, they will buy them nonethenless. In bulk.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    most of my collected trash get sold to my relicator only my lock boxes make it to the exchange to at lest make a few energy credits
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    most of my collected trash get sold to my relicator only my lock boxes make it to the exchange to at lest make a few energy credits

i never vend my trash to the recycler.. we only get a 3rd of an items listed value, using vendors on esd/qonos and we get 1/2 of the items listed value. may not seem like a big difference when you consider a single item, but over time that difference really adds up.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    actually it's 40% vs 50%. and for inexplicable reasons some vendors give 40% too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    indypenguinindypenguin Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Simple supply and demand.

Honestly, why spend EC early? You'll advance out of the Tier in ten levels anyway. Save the EC for later until you amass enough to get the fleet, reputation, or whatever gear you choose for your character, ship(s), and BOFFs.
    Ad astra per aspera

God be between you and harm, and all the empty places we must walk.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    seathemac wrote: »

Now that these have been devalued so drastically there's going to be far less EC being injected into the system and the paltry increase in the value of weapons with this patch won't take up the slack.
    Conversely, the rate of valuable loot drops (stuff that people actually want) has dried up to a trickle.
    Anyone that gets that 1 in a million Mk XI purple phaser relay from a Gorn Minefield run wants a lot of EC for it naturally because it's so rare (6 Million EC last time I looked).

So we have rampant inflation due to scarcity and stringent cuts in rates of income.
    With every patch and update players are having their EC income throttled and seeing the gear they need to play the game properly become more and more unattainable.

Cryptic are either very short sighted or deliberately trying to kill off EC as an in-game currency.
    Either way the exchange is doomed if it continues as it is.

make sure to keep an eye on askrays fct thread about DOOOOOMMMM!! threads :rolleyes:.

on the matter of the exchange, so far this is the short term. no idea what is around the corner, but when a few months have past you may have a valid point if things have gotten worse by then.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's quite interesting to watch. I expected prices of very rear beam arrays (especially phaser beam arrays) to drop significantly after the the crafting revamp. Before phaser beam arrays mk II, IV and VI costed several 100'000 EC / serveral milions EC a piece. Now prices are in a free fall. Mk II very rares cost 20'000 EC. Mk IV and VI not much more. I expect the same price collaps once people are able to successfully craft mk X, XI and XII very rare beam arrays.

I think we should get used to the fact that we won't make much ECs in the future with items that have a craftable counterpart. And with the value reduction of space items farming Ker'rat or the Undine Space zone has become much less lucrative. Earlier I usually made 1,1 - 1,4 million EC by selling all the vendor trash in my full inventory. Now I'm usually making around 600k EC.

It seems the only reliable (stable) source of income in the future will be DOFFS, C-store items, lockbox items and maybe very rare crafting materials.
  • Options
    gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    well until 50 ec does not even matter. even then you can run a elite in free gear if your smart enough. the boxes you get for doing the grinds net you some good ec selling to venders. you will quickly have millions but i do admit i seen to many pugs let themself get blown up multiple times and be to dam weak to be any use. kids run away if your bought to die fix up the ship and come back you will last far longer then going boom every 30 seconds. i myself still role my galaxy retro fit in stf being its a tank beast and has lots of healing i toss to the lesser eqed ship's but very few people do that anymore they just run in get ***** die alot then fail it because nobody is left that can tank worth a dam.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,973 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    there are a lot of ways to get EC, all you need is a little base amount, like a couple millions, patience and some luck.

Or Doffs. Really people do you not understand how getting something for nothing, or getting more from less, might be a lucrative thing to pay attention to.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!