What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Don't count your eggs yet. I expect that a "Coolown" will be implemented. I would expect anywhere from 2 days to a week, probably the same amount as the doff requisition missions.

As such.... without dilithium boosts this process wil still be SLOW.

Looking at the latest tribble patch and messing around with it. The one DOff mission that is 20 hour cool down will get you to max level in one school in about 91 days. Taking three months to max the first school seems a good pace. And that is without leveling any other schools or using any dilithium.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    diotw wrote: »
    1. All we know is sometime before the end of July seems likely. Some people are linking it to the Undine lock box going away, but that seems like speculation to me.
    Uh...I assume you mean crafting? Look at the patch notes. It's going live right now.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    xraiderv1 wrote: »
    are the items generated from this crafting update 'bind on pickup' as it were? or can we trade some things?

Pretty sure just about everything is bind on equip so we can trade, sell. Not completely sure about the Aegis set.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    it looks awesome sauces and stuff, and i will travel now 26 minutes into the future to play and start from there, k i love you bye bye! :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mattachine wrote: »
    Well if they can force us to pay through our collective noses in any other ways through crafting then they would most likely put a lot of work in to that.
    ]

At this point, I don't care. I'm not going use crafting with it's TRIBBLE UI. I'm almost Tier 4 on all the Doff system so I really wouldn't have to mess with the interface.

The only thing that would have made crafting interesting is building custom shuttles and modifications for ships. Since, it's not happening TRIBBLE it.
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mattachine wrote: »
    I knew they would push the Tribble build live, with no care about what we think about it.

Have you MET Cryptic? I mean... HELLO?!

They dump tribble to shard regardless of bugs. Even game-breaking bugs. EVERY. SINGLE. UPDATE. They have no QA and no testing team. They don't even PLAY the game.
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I didn't ask for these. I see no reason (other than yet another money-grab) to add these to the game, rather than using existing DOffs. I've never had a need or desire to buy additional DOff slots (hence my money grab comment).

As such, I'd ask that you please give every character in the game an additional 25 free DOff slots, since we're being forced to accommodate the new system.
  • Options
    umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Whoever at Cryptic that decided to super size the list of projects needs to be fired.
    How is going from seeing 15 projects under Current Map down to 5 moving forward?
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • Options
    bemildwbbemildwb Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Because i have to regrind not once but a bunch of times. I had 1650ish crafting skill and could make anything i needed, yesterday. And i could always make that purple item i wanted. Not sure if i'm going to continue or not. I may just play the game and not worry about crafting or i may just leave since i enjoy crafting...
  • Options
    argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Question, what about the schematics? you did a turn-in program for all of the crafting resources (which was tedious enough btw; i don't suppose the idea of a "convert all" button ever crossed your minds?), so why not one for the leftover general crafting schematics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Personally, I think they fubarred the entire doff system in the process. Where's my 'select quality' tickbox?! And how's this for being braindead: they let you slot doffs you already used for the assignment, so you )(%^9*&$#$% wind up actually unslotting them! (Very annoying when you have multiple same-named ones, like Miners, for example).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    malebissemalebisse Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What can we do with all the old crafting materials that we have accumulated over the past 4+ years? Is there a mechanism by which we can convert them into something useful in the new Crafting system, or are they totally useless to us now? I'm sure that I am not the only one who will as this question, as many of my fleetmates have asked the same question.
  • Options
    thequinbythequinby Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Have you MET Cryptic? I mean... HELLO?!

They dump tribble to shard regardless of bugs. Even game-breaking bugs. EVERY. SINGLE. UPDATE. They have no QA and no testing team. They don't even PLAY the game.
    Do they really not play the game? That seems ridiculous. I'm an aspiring developer and I never roll out anything I haven't at least laid my hands on to see for myself that it works. If they want to work on something else, I'd be glad to come on-board, but I can't imagine that's possible.

Speaking of broken updates, the official news post said my Aegis set would be converted, but it hasn't changed. Also, the tailor crashes every time no matter where I am and on 2 different computers. Do we have a unified bug thread for this update? I'm searching, but I'm not turning one up yet.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Does anyone know which queue for the radiogenic particles?

(edit) it's crystalline
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    marielangmarielang Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    with having to keep good doffs for missions and trying to keep blank slots open to recruit donate doffs to fleet projects now I have to use almost 20% of my roster for R&D??? this is the kind of craptastic thinking that gets yall introuble every season roll out. Why would you not give R&D doffs there own roster if your going to give the R&D its own inventory. Please if you want people to craft Fix this now not a year form now.
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    marielang wrote: »
    with having to keep good doffs for missions and trying to keep blank slots open to recruit donate doffs to fleet projects now I have to use almost 20% of my roster for R&D??? this is the kind of craptastic thinking that gets yall introuble every season roll out. Why would you not give R&D doffs there own roster if your going to give the R&D its own inventory. Please if you want people to craft Fix this now not a year form now.

^^THIS^^ I am not throwing away my DOFFs so I can fit R&D DOFFs and I am not buying more slots just so I can waste my time and dilithium on gambling.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ^^THIS^^ I am not throwing away my DOFFs so I can fit R&D DOFFs and I am not buying more slots just so I can waste my time and dilithium on gambling.

^^THIS^^ I wasn't big on R&D to begin with (though I made the occasional purple phaser console, you know, back in the day when vulnerability locators hadn't plummeted the market yet). But now I'm totally done with it.

Besides, I'm near max doff slots as it is; and, strangely enough, much like Cryptic's refusal to sell me more *boff* slots, they're not letting me buy more doff slots either. F R&D then, I say.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Maybe I missed something, but it looks like we can use the same DOffs for crafting as we use for any other DOff mission? I just put the entire holoDOff crate into storage (didn't have room in my roster), and probably will never use it.

The graphics for the materials are pretty, but the entire DOff GUI is now awkward & disjointed. True, a player can now click a single button to staff the project, but changing the DOff assignments from the default is cumbersome. I would rather have the old GUI back again, albeit with the new grahics elements.

It's also annoying that when converting the old materials to new, they go into the R&D storage, but mission drops go into general inventory instead. Then, the only way to get them into R&D is to visit a bank console, transfer them to bank from inventory, then back to R&D. There is no reason materials should not go directly into R&D, irrespective of the source.

I agree with others' opinion that crafting has been turned into another reputation system to grind out, only with lower-quality rewards... :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Maybe I missed something, but it looks like we can use the same DOffs for crafting as we use for any other DOff mission? I just put the entire holoDOff crate into storage (didn't have room in my roster), and probably will never use it.

The graphics for the materials are pretty, but the entire DOff GUI is now awkward & disjointed. True, a player can now click a single button to staff the project, but changing the DOff assignments from the default is cumbersome. I would rather have the old GUI back again, albeit with the new grahics elements.

It's also annoying that when converting the old materials to new, they go into the R&D storage, but mission drops go into general inventory instead. Then, the only way to get them into R&D is to visit a bank console, transfer them to bank from inventory, then back to R&D. There is no reason materials should not go directly into R&D, irrespective of the source.

I agree with others' opinion that crafting has been turned into another reputation system to grind out, only with lower-quality rewards... :(

Partly correct but you get some R&D doffs as well which are pratically useless and I would rather not use doffs for crafting I am damn sure not doing this on more than one character and I may not even do it all on that as crafting I believe wss better before the revamp
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ok, maybe it's a stupid question, but why not let us choose which UI we want to have?

Why not keep the old UI and let us choose which one we want to use via game Options?
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    Ok, maybe it's a stupid question, but why not let us choose which UI we want to have?

Why not keep the old UI and let us choose which one we want to use via game Options?

Because they don't want to have to support two UIs for the same function (which makes sense.) What doesn't make sense though is designing a new UI that has WAY LESS functionality and makes less info easily available to a player using it, the the UI it's replacing.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    bemildwbbemildwb Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pulling a Sony specifically SoE. Well every other game that has pulled this has either flatlined or is on llifesupport. My guess is that a small, but vocal, # of people complained on the boards and the rest of us didn't notice because we were too busy playing the game..... Companies need to llearn to ook at the # of complaints compared to the entire, active, population. Assuming that no complaint from active players means it's at least ok for them.....
  • Options
    captcokecancaptcokecan Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, thank you for the neat title for having maxed out the previous crafting.

I feel you missed an opportunity here. I think the title should have been called "Super Genius".

Because then I'd totally drop the Zen on a Captain Rename Token, and my Eng would forever more be Wile E. Coyote.
    Hey I just vaped you, and this is crazy;
    But here's my frequency, so hail me maybe?
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    trelane87 wrote: »
    Actually you can donate him:

http://i.imgur.com/nIEGoNE.png

I know too much about doffs :D

hehm horrible, I accidentally deleted him making room for the 20 useless ones in the box.. wish they'd have made him other than common... anything to denote him from the masses.. PWE hating me some more.. as well as all of us.. why dont they like our money enough?
  • Options
    c0mmandersamc0mmandersam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Could you explain how one goes about converting the old material into the new, please?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Could you explain how one goes about converting the old material into the new, please?
    Right Click > use

But this menu option only appears when you right click on a mat in your inventory. It will however allow you to convert what's in your bank as well as your inventory.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lestrallestral Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Think that players that have access to T5 fleet equipment will be completely uninterested in these crafted items given their inferior stats.

However, if you extend the crafting system so that players that are level 15 crafting and have access to T5 starbases can fly to the manufacturing facility in their starbase system, land, and use facilities there to craft Fleet versions of these Mk XII items that has the same or better stats as Fleet items, then players would be interested.

Short of that, I think this crafting system is going to die from lack of interest.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,892 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lestral wrote: »
    Think that players that have access to T5 fleet equipment will be completely uninterested in these crafted items given their inferior stats.

When a 1:1 comparison is possible. Then again lock box weapons are also inferior and there's demonstrable interest in those and they don't even have the Arc proc.

Just give it some time. You might not see something you want now but its not a system designed around instant gratification.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    rigamortissrigamortiss Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Having tried the "old" and "new" crafting systems.. I'd have to say the "new" one is a huge disappointment. It's horribly unclear where to get materials (apparently now the only way to get mats is to mission grind or use duty missions?) ...
    You have no way of knowing where to go to get the best chance of the materials you are specifically looking for (another fail)...
    It was never explained how to convert the "old" items to new materials (thanks to the community for finding that out.. but it should have been made clear from the outset)
    New material graphics are nice.. but the rest of the system is so annoying that .. "meh" ...
    From first glance it really does seem like this "ahem" update is a backwards step and one specifically designed to push players into buying more crafting packs for Zen to get things going..

Not terribly impressed at all......