What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A question to the comunity: How loyal are you to STAR TREK ONLINE

Comments

• Options
    yudhistiroyudhistiro Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am a true loyalist to Star Trek Online and all Cryptic product.

Cut off one bug, two more shall take its place!! Hail Cryptic!! :cool:
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When this game started, I was extremely loyal and eager, I played every day. Now, it's a boring grindfest, where fun is restricted during the summer and winter events. And now, the core of STAR TREK -- which is exploration -- has been eliminated for no reason! The question should not be, how loyal are we; the question should be, why is PWE disloyal to players and the vision of Gene Roddenberry? To eliminate exploration from Star Trek would be the same as eliminating sword combat from a game of Samurai.
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Definitely the option number 3. As soon i find a something worthy to play (aka Star citizen, some day or something like that) i will abandon STO for good. At first, i loved it, but month after month and after i realized cryptic is not doing anything but breaking the game, after all this time, and after suffering so many bugs day after day, im really tired, and i still play because i must be honest, i still like some things about it and there is nothing more out there about star trek. And not even that, because this game is not even 65% star trek anymore. And now, they remove the exploration clusters instead improving the system. Everyday i waste less and less time playing STO. If someday i see any improvement in the game, and cryptic worrying more about important things that gathering money at all costs, maybe things will change, but i dont have hopes anymore.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    cers001 wrote: »

What could the devs do to improve the game but keeping in mind they need to make money out of the game?

For start, listen to their customers. They want to earn money?? i tell you, if the customers are happy, they will gain money. Thats for sure. They could as well invest money in things players want, again, players will be happy and they will be more willing to charge zen. Its not so difficult, trust me. IT will be really easy to still keep gaining even more money and at the same time, having a great happy customers community. Fixing bugs. A lot of players left or are about to due to this. If they will invest money on fixing most of the bugs, and for example, upgrade the engine, players will be 300% happier. And a lot of players will return , and others will abandond the idea of leaving STO. More customers, more money. I tell you, cryptic just want this game to go to the trash, thats all. And the only reason this will never change is because, even with all of this, cryptic is gaining A LOT of money right now, thanks to all the people that still wastes lots of money every month or the ones who buys a LFS just because they have money or they are too young to see the facts. I mean, i cant find another explanation, not in this universe, at least. Maybe if we go to the mirror universe we can find some clues..
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I play because I want to play a Star Trek game.

For me, it's that's simple. :)

To the OP: Option 2. But it's like that for every MMO I have ever played.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    How loyal i am?

Honest?
    As soon as there is another open ended Trek RPG game with growing content and which is more true to Trek (which shouldn't be hard), i'm happily gone.
    Sadly there is nothing on the horizon afaik.

I have absolutely no reason to stay, as soon as there is a similar game around. And to be honest STO has developed into a direction i don't like (and it's going more bad with every single announcement/update). STO has so much potential, even now.
    If the devs would be willing, STO could become a grand Star Trek game. I'm not going into any more detail, i don't want to spoil this thread, i just want to add that the devs seem to lack any grasp to make the game feel like trek.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,446 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    The game recently just totally dropped from Steam's top 100 meaning not even 1,500 people globally play STO per day thru Steam anymore and its easy to understand why.

Is it fair to use Steam as a metric to gauge the success/failure of the game or determine who many people are playing on a given day, since it's possible that ARC may have something to do with people fewer people logging in via Steam?

I'm in-game right now and count about 600 people on Risa alone, which obviously doesn't include how many are in-game elsewhere.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Is it fair to use Steam as a metric to gauge the success/failure of the game or determine who many people are playing on a given day, since it's possible that ARC may have something to do with people fewer people logging in via Steam?
    As far as I can tell, Arc has the opposite effect, for no particularly comprehensible reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just wait until ____ Citizen comes out, then we'll truly see how loyal people are to STO. If ____ Citizen is anything like Freelancer, you won't see me around here anymore.

Maybe if a KDF season comes out before then I'll stay. :rolleyes:
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sevenatsevenat Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Comparing this to other space games doesnt really work. Everyone bleeds away for other games regardless of type.

This game sucks. Lets be honest. Its using 2004 WOW launch concepts for mmo's.

It isn't a very well planned out game. Its painful to find information about the game in game.

It's difficult to make sense of weapons, equipment, BOFFS, what should i use for this or that etc...

It has the clear problem of being able to create toons that have terrible skill sets and thus cannot function in solo or team events effectively.

Many newer mmo's have addressed these problems repeatedly over the years. This game has not.

I want to see them stop making new content, and clean up what we got. Particularly the end game in all its aspects.

From what I understand leveling is better now, there was a revamp.

We need to make this game more straight forward, easy to keep moving forward for progress of your character, ship officers etc.

If you want to go the eve route, then make that advanced mechanics that you "could" tweak, but don't need to in order to play basic content, or in other words, non-elite content.
    Make elite content something that players seeking great challenges and more reward can do.

That's why we have 3 difficultly levels in the game while leveling.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am totally loyal to this skinner box with Star Trek themed wall paper of a game :v
    atlantra wrote: »
    Just wait until ____ Citizen comes out, then we'll truly see how loyal people are to STO. If ____ Citizen is anything like Freelancer, you won't see me around here anymore.

Star Citizen would have to actually be released for it to compete with STO :v
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited July 2014
    I am not very loyal at all. Every time I board the SS STO, I don a wetsuit, life jacket, and hang out in a dingy. But I am normally found on board the SS Kerbal Space Program, SS Ratchet & Clank, SS Terraria, or SS Starbound, on the promenade, in a suit with a tie.
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lystent wrote: »
    I am not very loyal at all. Every time I board the SS STO, I don a wetsuit, life jacket, and hang out in a dingy. But I am normally found on board the SS Kerbal Space Program, SS Ratchet & Clank, SS Terraria, or SS Starbound, on the promenade, in a suit with a tie.

I've always known there is no "loyal fanbase" for STO, and that release of the next major space game, like Space Citizen, will pull away large amount of STO players. But Kerbal Space Program? If small potatos like that will do, STO is in worse shape than I thought.:P
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2014

The team seem to be doing their best to push people on the edge of loyalty and make them try out alternatives even now, long before SC is released.

Bwaahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!! :D:P

Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh. :P
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Personally I don't think any game developer is at the same level as states, religions, and sports teams to warrant the question "are you loyal?" It seems to be missing the point (of video games but also free market enterprise) to even be asking....
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    Loyal is a poor descriptive term, and highly subjective without a context.

I continue to play STO because of 1.) the community and, 2.) It's Star Trek.

Plus BotF and ST:A haven't been 'good' since 1998;)

It's not the only game I play however, and while I spend a good chunk of my time here I spend my $$$ elsewhere. If it wasn't for the contextual Star Trek flavour, I'd likely play something else.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,993 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I only maybe sign in for half an hour to an hour each day to sort out fleet business then play some dawn of war
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      My loyalty to this game has greatly fluctuated to both extremes. To the point that I was around when STO launched and I'm around now. Also to the point where I left after the first 3-4 months STO was out and was gone for almost 2 years.

That said: This game would not be here, esp. after the bad launch STO had if it were not for one very simple fact.

That the name "Star Trek" was on this MMO.

If it wasn't, I firmly believe STO would have died within a year of release.
      XzRTofz.gif
    • Options
      litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      Once very loyal but it seems which new season it gets worse, remove the cluster missions because poeple got lost in a 2d environment!......

Only the IP keeps me hear, I'm a Star Trek fan ...not a so much a Star Trek Online fan....
      Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
    • Options
      originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      Loyal isn't the word, as it denotes blind submission.

Cryptic has earned my deep respect and gratitude as it rescued STO from being permanently shelved, ever since it became a pawn in Perpetual's inevitable bankruptcy

It has also earned my respect from the true trek culture Cryptic has. They are no where near as ivory tower as Blizzard employees. Blizzard reps/devs/execs would never admit to making a mistake without completely recanting it in the same letter Cryptic does, and has.

Cryptic has also earned my respect by making the missions feel like Startrek and didn't bastardize the game into a pure JJ Trek Starwars fest
    • Options
      yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
      edited July 2014

Cryptic has also earned my respect by making the missions feel like Startrek and didn't bastardize the game into a pure JJ Trek Starwars fest

Is this sarcasm?
      No offense, i'm just curious.
      "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
      (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    • Options
      bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      I will say I am a 1.5 on your scale, It provided me hours of enjoyment and it gaves me a place to test my limits and surpass them but I realise the game is not perfect and though not all, many of the criticisms that are made are justified.

I don't see where you are coming from as to the lifetime memberships & Veteran rewards.
      they need something to entice people to spend the amount of cash that lifetime costs even when they do a sale, the only thing they can do to make it fair on monthly subbers is to give all the rewards from 0 to 1000 day subs from day one, by doing this they are not giving too much more then what you would get for monthly subbing to 1000 days anyway.

the only miner change I would make if it was up to me would be that once a monthly subber has reached the 1000 day mark his monthly subs should cease without the loss of any of the sub benefits effectively elevating his status and putting him on a par with anyone who has paid for by lifetime memberships with any extra benefits that come with it at that time because by that time he has more then paid enough to deserve this reward.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
      aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
      edited July 2014

I'm in-game right now and count about 600 people on Risa alone, which obviously doesn't include how many are in-game elsewhere.

To counter that , yesterday I could not get into another instance in Beta Ursa because there were none ... -- and that sector is supposed to be one of 4 major hubs in this game .
      Today there was another instance that had 4 players in it .
      Let's hope it's just the summer ... .
    • Options
      sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      I am only here for Trek. I have spent a lot of money between my LTS and all the ships etc, but that isn't loyalty.

If I ever get really serious with Guild Wars 2/SWTOR, or another mmo comes out that can replace what I get here, I am gone.
      Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
      Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
      What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
      3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
      thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      Very,.. its the ONLY game I play. Don't have time for anything else. And the only reason I am here is because it is Star Trek.
    • Options
      orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      I initially got into STO for three reasons.

1. I like Star Trek, though I'm coming to realise that I only REALLY enjoy about 5% of it. Apart from the odd exceptional story (Inner Light, Best of Both Worlds and some others) the only TNG-era show I liked was DS9 and I rather went of that when it became all Star Wars like.
      2. I like sci-fi, including and especially the space opera subgenre.
      3. I loved Starfleet Command 1's space combat system... Though I wish STO was atleast half as deep as that.

To be honest if cryptic had done a B5 game instead I have probably been far more loyal to that. Though to be honest, that might just mean I'd get angrier when the game veers heavily away from the 'verse.

Basically my reason for sticking with STO is that it's the only sci-fi space-opera MMO that I reasonably enjoy.

I suspect my loyalty will last until Star Citizen is released. Heck, I've been spending more time in Arena Commander than STO and all I've been able to do there is shoot some Vanduul.

Speaking of which, Star Citizens Arena Commander has something that's rather missing from STO. Gameplay depth. A tiny cargo-hauler like the Aurora has more gameplay depth to it than STO's cruisers/sci-ships. And that's well before everything has been implemented.

People are already finding out that the appearance of a ship is ACTUALLY important. Cockpit, weapon, thruster, engine etc placement is all important and not just cosmetic.

It's that level of depth that's making me excited about being a crewmember on an Idris frigate or Javelin destroyer.
      jaguarskx wrote: »
      It's the only MMO I play because it reminds me of Star Trek: Starfleet Command (not necessarily because it is Star Trek). More importantly, the game is completely free to play. I don't have to spend any real money if I did not want (but I have purchased Zen using my credit card). By "completely" I mean it is not necessary to purchase starships to play the game.

I could have tried Eve Online, but that is not a F2P game.

I've tried Eve Online. It's well crafted, but it does deserve it's spreadsheets in space subtitle.
      Previously Alendiak
      Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
      Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    • Options
      edited July 2014
      orondis wrote: »
      I initially got into STO for three reasons.

1. I like Star Trek, though I'm coming to realise that I only REALLY enjoy about 5% of it. Apart from the odd exceptional story (Inner Light, Best of Both Worlds and some others) the only TNG-era show I liked was DS9 and I rather went of that when it became all Star Wars like.
      2. I like sci-fi, including and especially the space opera subgenre.
      3. I loved Starfleet Command 1's space combat system... Though I wish STO was atleast half as deep as that.

With the exception of Voyager, DS9 is the worst show of the franchise. TNG is considered the best show ever, and its really far from DS9, Voyager or any other, but its obviously that you dont like the star trek universe (star trek is based on story content mostly, not ship fights) , you should play another game, seriously. Because honestly only a trekkie or someone who likes star trek will have a "real" reason to play this game.. if the only thing you like is a sci fic game, you have plenty of options.. a star trek game is not for you. And there are a lot of sci fic games out there. If you like sci fic.. and you dont like the star trek univese.. i dont have a clue what you doing here :P, seriously... STO is not a "good" game. That for a start.

Starfleet Command's was amazing, but starfleet command's II, plus the expansion was even better. I think starfleet command II was the best game of this kind ever made. I really wish we had that strategic ship managin in STO, specially the way you could manage your powers and shield facing.