test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - June 19, 2014

Comments

• mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Couple of observations on the currently live build.

The cluster borders still have the text marker on them with the cluster name (e.g. fly up to Zena's expanse or Betreka which are the 2 I've actively looked at) and they have the cluster name on the them instead of the usual "deep space border". Delta Volanis appears to have been changed having just flown past that as I type this up.

Logged my KDF Tac Officer in at a space location, the R&D tab show's but has no storage capacity (i.e. there's the tab title and nothing else). Converting old data samples doesn't generate the tab and the items go into normal inventory. Going to a ground map and trying to craft doesn't bring up a working tab logging out and back in however did fix it. Might be this is a tribble specific issue as the toon hadn't been logged in on tribble since season 9 launch.

I don't like the fact that particle traces are only tradable for random crafting materials which includes common materials and uncommon materials whereas normal data samples are exchangeable for common or uncommon depending on sample type. From a random click I'd estimate I got a handful of rares and mostly uncommons and some commons. So essentially particle traces are on the whole worth less for trade in than they are currently worth whereas in my view they should trade in for guaranteed rare items or at the very least uncommon with a chance of a very rare.

When going to setup my KDF toons first crafting task I opened the crafting item option at the top of the list (EPS manifold or something, one of the components), on opening this the quick complete button was available which I then clicked. This quick completed the last doff mission I had set going instead of an R&D project (which I hadn't setup anyway). ticket ID #45,178.

R&D progress from the drop down list under the players local map brings up the interface for the old crafting system.

Since the forge on Qo'nos first city can't be used for crafting anymore perhaps it could be used for something else like weapon vendors (or Bat'leths?). Seems like a wasted are of the map now.

A thought on exploration cluster accolades, perhaps these could be used as foundry map doors in future and you get the accolade for doing so many foundry missions out of that cluster? Could be a good way of encouraging foundry use and making exploration clusters relevant especially if there was a special reward for running cluster foundry missions and a way to make it so they weren't farm missions.

Not sure if this has been considered or anything (and my tribble toons can't test without) but what's happens with existing data schematics? Can these be converted to the new crafting system or are they going the way of the old delta flyer schematic staying in game and unusable? Also on a related note KDF had a maruding mission (break into memory alpha or something like that) which comes up in Sirus Sector block, this used tor reward data schematics has it been changed (didn't come up as an option when I went to the sector block so I couldn't start it to check)?
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Just spotted a major flaw in the new system at higher level. At 20k Dilithium a high end crafter can only craft 1 item per 3 days. Not only that but how would someone level up crafting when you can only produce one item every 3 days after heavy grinding? How many years would it take to get to level 20 crafting with the limit of 1 item per 3 days?

Do we really want a crafting system that limits us to 1 random item every 3 days?

EDItT The higher the level you get the less items you can craft and the longer it takes to craft. the 8k Dilithium limit per day has a massive impact on crafting speed.

This is something I've been saying for a while now.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just spotted a major flaw in the new system at higher level. At 20k Dilithium a high end crafter can only craft 1 item per 3 days. Not only that but how would someone level up crafting when you can only produce one item every 3 days after heavy grinding? How many years would it take to get to level 20 crafting with the limit of 1 item per 3 days?

Do we really want a crafting system that limits us to 1 random item every 3 days?

EDItT The higher the level you get the less items you can craft and the longer it takes to craft. the 8k Dilithium limit per day has a massive impact on crafting speed.

don't worry.... just spend MORE Dilithium to speed up crafting.

Crafting according to Cryptic.... Doffing + Rep system + money stink = MOAR GRIND... working as intended.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    signumpax wrote: »
    Well i think u going the wrong way with that. If that content is to difficult for some players, u should do a proper toutorial for it not remove it, just think what we stay left of the game if u remove all that is to difficutl for some people. Some also say that change with the doff UI was done for the same reason. Maybe now its more esay to click something, but i highly doubt that peolple now understand it besser --> toutorial is that better way to make the unterstand what to do.

About the qualitiy of the mission, if i compare it with other content i cant see that piont. The mission may a bit more simple in there structure but therefore there are many different of them. I always enjoyed them and still do.

Honestly those missions probably shouldn't have been available until later in the game, well after you first leave Spacedock and have learned your way around.

They were pleasant though repetitive. I always found it generally amusing when it wasn't frustrating to do a ground mission where the enemy leader was far tougher than any boss elsewhere in the game outside of an STF. They were also good places to test out new builds and equipment as lots of Youtube videos can also attest to.
    I'll be honest with you. Anyone who got a feeling of exploration from those missions which are less quality than the worst foundry missions has been pounding down some ketracel white lol. I won't miss the kill 4 out of 4 plants and poison the little fed village well where its just a well in the middle of nowhere but since the 4th plant is broken and unscannable you can't even finish it lol.

If it is replaced with something new and better that would be more than acceptable. Especially since KDF players aren't really explorers. On top of that though I will admit the exploration sectors and the empite defenses are very old and out dated. Just in my opinion though I would accept along with exploration the pi canis sorties and the empire defenses basically scrap all of that because it doesn't even make sense really. Make a new system that takes the place of all of that. Make it dynamic so it isn't the same old TRIBBLE with a bunch of enemies scattered in the same map in every single place lol. Then say looky here no more season 2 looking STO for you KDF players anymore lol. Something to go along with the federation getting exploration and such.

Lets be honest who could actually miss that TRIBBLE the way it is now.

Well Klingons do scout new territories. It's interesting that Klingons are a conquering empire, when considering the nature of why they set out into space, and the very name of their service (The Klingon Defense Force), you'd think they'd be isolationist. BUT, that misses a key part of Klingon personality. Isolationism would be hiding. And Klingons don't hide.

In that vein, I've felt for a long time that all exploration missions should function like the Doff colonization assignments. You have to complete a mission to advance a story chain in that area. Each cluster should've had a unique story arc for the colony in that cluster. The thing being that if you don't do it say daily, then there's a random chance that an enemy marauder may come along wreck your colony or their communications array or something. Maybe they kidnap some colonists unlocking a mission to go rescue them. Then you have to rebuild the array and continue with the colony development. The next mission chain could be setting up a long range subspace telescope. The resource scanning missions in the Mass Effect series could also come into play, for acquiring materials.

For the Klingon side that could be, you start scouting an area and find an uninhabited world perfect for the empire, standard colonization. Another cluster your ship is attacked by a strange ship. Now after defeating it, or they run, you have to track where it came from this species you can either force to kneel to the empire, or you come back with a fleet and subjugate them.

On that I have a wish that setting up said colonies would provide you with a constantly regenerating source of crafting materials, but I guess that would be too much. Maybe a Doff mission to send your Quartermasters out to a cluster to pick up a shipment. But the more times you've completed the colony/Fed Side=negotiate trade agreement/KDF side=subjugate planet mission depends how many colonies' worth of shipments you get.

I'm sure though that people would feel forced if they had to check in on their colony chain every couple of days to make sure they hadn't been absorbed into the Orion Syndicate or someone, but if you make it a daily 480 or so it could be quite worth it.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

The prices will come down. I'm not sure how much yet, but they're coming down.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited June 2014

he was talking about the price called "human lifespan" not about dilithium.3 days for 1 item...multiply that with how many things you can use on a fleet ship and that person even if it spends all the money in the world is still has to wait.Waiting is not going to make player better or enjoy more the game....waiting is just a waste of time.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    he was talking about the price called "human lifespan" not about dilithium.3 days for 1 item...multiply that with how many things you can use on a fleet ship and that person even if it spends all the money in the world is still has to wait.Waiting is not going to make player better or enjoy more the game....waiting is just a waste of time.

On a fleet Cruiser that is 10 consoles+8 weapons+Core/Shield/deflector/engine=22 items to fully outfit a ship or 66 days under that wait period. Unless they can be run concurrently.

Another question, do crafting assignments take assignment slots in your Doff list?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • worgausworgaus Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2014

How about no dilithium cost at all on a random gamble roll, when you can just buy that stuff in any number of places, get the quality you want with more or less the mods you want, at a much more reasonable cost? At least with the old system we knew what we were getting as an end result.

The only area this new system improves is crafting lower level items because we can make things for our lowbies or produce items at a quality level that's difficult to find without any real sacrifice in cost or time. Let us also be able to roll up Advanced and/or Elite items with unique mods, and/or add mods to existing equipment so crafting actually serves a tangible worthwhile roll.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,246 Arc User
    edited June 2014

The time I was talking about was related to the 8k dilithium a day which limited you to 1 item every 3 days. If the price comes down for dilithium then we can build faster. After listening to a few devs about what is planned I am much happier about the system. As long as dilithium doesn't limit building to much it should be fun. The UI is going to be tweaked, randomness removed in X2 and unique mods on weapons and unique items to craft. There will be stuff like beams have a chance to proc beam overload.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Why does crafting use Dilithium AT ALL? Dilitium is already a weak economy that's as fickle as the people who have a billion of it already who can throw their weight around on the zen exchange just to CHANGE PRICES....

Sure... Cryptic makes money by selling Dilitium but you make NOTHING when people look at all the spending they have to do to get any sort of decent gear... look at the little 8k they can make a day then decide to just play another game.
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Could we please get no random items for Dilithium items?

It can stay random for the ones that don't need Dil.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited June 2014
    The time I was talking about was related to the 8k dilithium a day which limited you to 1 item every 3 days. If the price comes down for dilithium then we can build faster. After listening to a few devs about what is planned I am much happier about the system. As long as dilithium doesn't limit building to much it should be fun. The UI is going to be tweaked, randomness removed in X2 and unique mods on weapons and unique items to craft. There will be stuff like beams have a chance to proc beam overload.

thats not a problem ...just buy some dili from dili exchange.
    edited June 2014

Basically the DIL cost multiplied by the expected chance of purple at high skill should still be less than the cost to buy an equivalent item outright with DIL.

A lot of crafting systems contain no randomness in their result, but are also limited in what they let you make. Looking at a certain 7,500 lb. gorilla in the industry, you can often make Blue-quality gear, for instance, but only certain slots would let you make endgame-quality gear. We'll let you make endgame-quality stuff in all slots, but not necessarily on your first go. However, as you get more and more skilled at a given school, the chance of white vanishes and the chance of green greatly diminishes, while the chance of purple goes from close-to-zero up to 33% (and maybe higher, depending on tuning changes based on feedback).
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Basically the DIL cost multiplied by the expected chance of purple at high skill should still be less than the cost to buy an equivalent item outright with DIL.

A lot of crafting systems contain no randomness in their result, but are also limited in what they let you make. Looking at a certain 7,500 lb. gorilla in the industry, you can often make Blue-quality gear, for instance, but only certain slots would let you make endgame-quality gear. We'll let you make endgame-quality stuff in all slots, but not necessarily on your first go. However, as you get more and more skilled at a given school, the chance of white vanishes and the chance of green greatly diminishes, while the chance of purple goes from close-to-zero up to 33% (and maybe higher, depending on tuning changes based on feedback).

Right, so, barring the use of Catalysts which we haven't seen yet that would require three attempts on average, using three pairs of Purple components, and make the average cost of a randomly modified, purple Mk XII item approximately 60k dilithium, attempted over the course of 9 days. It -could- only take 20k, 60k on average, 80k - 120k or worse if you're unlucky.

With those odds the dilithium cost needs to drop dramatically.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Right, so, barring the use of Catalysts which we haven't seen yet that would require three attempts on average, using three pairs of Purple components, and make the average cost of a randomly modified, purple Mk XII item approximately 60k dilithium, attempted over the course of 9 days. It -could- only take 20k, 60k on average, 80k - 120k or worse if you're unlucky.

With those odds the dilithium cost needs to drop dramatically.

They have ready said dilithium costs are wrong. They just chucked in some numbers, so don't pay too much attention to costs right now.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    while the chance of purple goes from close-to-zero up to 33% (and maybe higher, depending on tuning changes based on feedback).

LOL, ya ive heard enough, you can keep this crafting nonsense.

unless you decide to increase that up to chance by a factor of 3, on maxed or near maxed crafters. im NEVER going to gamble with dilithium.
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

unless you decide to increase that up to chance by a factor of 3, on maxed or near maxed crafters. im NEVER going to gamble with dilithium.

QFT +1

I don't gamble with lockboxes, I am not going to gamble on crafting.

Just one less thing I will do in STO and just one step closer to leaving. (and taking my wallet with me.)
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    [snip] However, as you get more and more skilled at a given school, the chance of white vanishes and the chance of green greatly diminishes, while the chance of purple goes from close-to-zero up to 33% (and maybe higher, depending on tuning changes based on feedback).

Not with my materials you don't. I don't plan on investing a dime for any chance less than 99.9999999999% of a VR at any mark level or any item.

I notice when I purchase items through the Fleet or Faction reputation system, I am not playing the odds for VR or MK XII. You're telling me you spent resources developing a crafting system that only gives discounts if you get lucky?
    And you honestly expect me to use that?

That's not blood wine you drinking, it's warp plasma!
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    BHowever, as you get more and more skilled at a given school, the chance of white vanishes and the chance of green greatly diminishes, while the chance of purple goes from close-to-zero up to 33% (and maybe higher, depending on tuning changes based on feedback).

I haven't been on Tribble, but getting chances up to 33% usually requires very specific VR doffs on assignments. Since you are halving the chances of getting VR doffs from clusters (by removing the clusters completely), and you already also lowered the chances of Asylum to Earth appearing (by removing it from ESD when you blew up the old one), can you please lower the 5000 dil tax on turning in 5 blue doffs for a purple one with the personnel officer?

The reason you guys had to increase that dil tax with the S6 release was patched June 2013 when the Risa event was released (there was an exploit causing the excess purple doffs from when the game went F2P until the end of S5). The 5K dil required, plus 5 blue doffs for a random purple cost is too high. At least bring it down to 1K dil.
  • kalex71kalex71 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So am I correct that those of us who spent the time and effort to max out crafting in the existing system are going to get completely shafted and have to start all over from scratch? If so, that freaking sucks and would probably be enough to make me not want to have anything to do with the crafting system whatsoever.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Uh. A mere 33% chance of a purple with "high skill" is a recipe for a system no one uses. At max-level (20), that chance needs to be 100% for the dil cost to be justifiable.
  • whatinblueblazeswhatinblueblazes Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I'm forced to agree. I'd be willing to flip a coin for blue/purple rarity at a dilithium cost, but only if I'm able to pick the modifiers with certainty or near-certainty.

Otherwise, the gear from crafting starts to look like a vastly more expensive version of the gear given each time you start a reputation leveling project. Yes, it's going to be blue or purple... but the modifiers are wholly random. Do you know how many pieces of equipment I've gotten (across eight toons of undine and other rep) with decent modifiers?

Not very many. I'm a little worried that this crafting system will produce similarly random and undesirable results, except 1) at greater cost and 2) with a chance of getting green-quality gear.

Granted, with that system I don't get to choose what type of gear I'm getting... but it's essentially free. And it's guaranteed to be blue or purple quality.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    However, as you get more and more skilled at a given school, the chance of white vanishes and the chance of green greatly diminishes, while the chance of purple goes from close-to-zero up to 33% (and maybe higher, depending on tuning changes based on feedback).

I'd like to hear a little bit more on this point.

A 33% chance of purple/very rare at max crafting skill in that school does not fill me with confidence. But I assume that percentage does not include DOFF and catalyst modifiers.

What other factors do you expect to be in play that will increase that chance even higher, and by how much? What do you estimate will be the maximum chance of crafting a purple?

And what do you estimate will it cost over and above the required dilithium materials in order to reach that maximum chance?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What greed

So penny-pinching

Wow
    edited June 2014

Sorry.

Without Dil cost, that would be fine.

But with the Dil cost, that purple chance should be 100% .
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    On a fleet Cruiser that is 10 consoles+8 weapons+Core/Shield/deflector/engine=22 items to fully outfit a ship or 66 days under that wait period. Unless they can be run concurrently.

Another question, do crafting assignments take assignment slots in your Doff list?

So, if I want to equip a ship like mentioned above, I have a 1 in 3 chance of not getting vendor trash, so it will take around 66 attempts to fill 22 slots. So how far under the dilithium cap are the prices going to go? 2 items per day will take 33 days to equip a ship, 3 items per day will take 22.

Do you really think anyone will be interested in that?
    "Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
    edited June 2014

Hypothetically, would you prefer a system where you could only make Blue items?
    edited June 2014

The old system had it right.

You could make green, blue and purple.

Green was cheapest, purple the most expensive in materials. Why can't we have that now?
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It all depends on the purpose of the crafting system and who it is aimed at. If the pinnacle of tech is fleet gear then crafting means it is only useful for a new VA/LG so blue is likely fine. The big issue no matter what the quality is purely down to costs though. Any system which is far too expensive in terms of time and resources (especially time gated resources) will be a failure as it will be quicker to get stuff through normal gameplay from fleet yards, rep stores or exchange.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • juganda47juganda47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    OF COURSE, if chance would be 100%, not something_made_of_dilithium_fog_and_randomness%