What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - June 19, 2014

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Given the way crafting sits at the moment, I'd be going with that last one.

I'm beginning to wonder if I could max my solo fleet before I could max a single toon in crafting...lol.

I'm all for things not needing to be done yesterday, this is a MMO and all, but I just can't help but feel that they've gone from the extreme of how quick maxing takes now to the far extreme the other way...
  • Options
    possiblyboredpossiblybored Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    [Again, I'm new to the forums and new to Tribble, so if I'm supposed to put "official" feedback somewhere else, please let me know kindly].

Everything only provides 1 or 10 XP or so, except Aegis shields, which require two basic components, can be produced at level 0, and currently provide 36,000 XP (!) per run (one hour). That's got to be a mistake.

I've been abusing it to max out my shields crafting, just to see what happens, by running shields over and over and doing the 900 dilithium "Finish Now" option (which I would never use in "real" use). I've created 29 Aegis shields and have ONLY received Very Rare (purple) items, even though Very Rare is a 33% chance and Rare is a 47% chance. I don't think my luck is that awesome.

Components where the duty officer doesn't impact the production just shouldn't take duty officers. I don't get the point if the Coolant Injector is the same no matter what.

You should be able to select a project as a goal or work in progress, and have it go somewhere (maybe on the left) so that you can get back to it quickly as you figure out the components you need. Also, clicking on red components that you need but don't have should take you directly to that component. How was I supposed to know where they were? Frustrating.

I'd love to see a little more information about the different levels, how much XP you earn, and how much XP you need, how many levels there are, etc. Courtesy of the Aegis shields, I'm at Shields level 17, and have 1,152,059 XP. I need to get to 1.44 million to get to 18. How many 1 and 10 XP items am I supposed to be crafting? Even the Mk XIII shields only reward 10XP.

When crafting items like shields (not Aegis) and engines, the drop downs where you choose item specifics should give you some information, especially in regards to the type of item. I don't know the difference between Covariant, Regenerative, Resilient, and Standard space shields off the top of my head, and I got no help from the game.

When crafting "choose-your-own" items, the costs often overflow out of their box and take up space that's supposed to be empty (a minor visual bug).

I'd like the ability to hover over a component or ingredient and have the pop-up also tell me how many are in my inventory. I have a hard time telling the different ingredients in my inventory apart.
  • Options
    ravenofborgravenofborg Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I want to add my voice to the chorus asking about the fate of accolades in the exploration sectors. It would be kind of the powers that be to give us an answer in time for us to complete them in the case that they are going away.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The new crafting system has potential. I'll go as far as to say that. However, in its present condition, there is no way I'll participate in it other than testing of the content. Basically what it looks like to me is an over-glorified Rep grind with some Lockbox mathematics thrown in there and an option to buy Catalysts (apparently similar to the system Champions Online uses to "buy" increased percentages of "success"). I am assuming that these Catalysts will be available from the C-/Lobi/Dil store(s) at a later date, perhaps in addition to selected loot drops?

The interface is way too unwieldy and takes up too much screen space. Not enough readily available information is provided during the crafting process.

Though I do appreciate having the old/new crafting material conversions in place, I feel that the implementation of the system was done half-hearted and a better UI for that would make things easier when it comes to conversion of materials (especially large numbers of , let's say... Chronometric Wave Signatures).

As many others have stated. The DOff/R&D UI is in definite need of work. I do realize that the player base wants to see the game make progress, but I feel that this new UI is definitely a step backward. The old UI was fine, IMO... aside from the poor choice of DOffs "recommended" by the game (Department Heads). From my time experimenting with the new system, it appears worse.

I am saddened to see the Exploration Sectors go. Yes, the DOff missions are still available (according to the notes), but it seems that a niche of the game has been taken away (Exploration and 1st Contact).

Memory Alpha being closed... aside from all the crating stations, vendors, etc. Why was it closed entirely? The interactive NPCs, stations, etc. could have simply been removed or at least the interactivity disabled and the location left alone until a future update.

Of course, as stated in the notes, this is a WIP. I am hoping that the devs will take the feedback provided by all and will improve things.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What a disgusting UI revamp! There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Doff UI as it is now on the live server. What you've introduced is a joke. Just a giant block and not in separate categorys? Not only that, now I am forced to use only certain Doffs for the mission that they were intended. This is another narrow minded view of what you think should be done. If I have a Doff that can do the job better than the one that is intended for it, then I should be able to use that Doff. This is a joke.
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Tribble is still patching, but I can safely say that unless I have absolute control over the color, mk and mods of the item I'm crafting and will get what I paid for every time then I have no use for this system.

I refused to play the lock box lottery and this new crafting system looks to be as bad if not worse.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What a disgusting UI revamp! There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Doff UI as it is now on the live server. What you've introduced is a joke. Just a giant block and not in separate categorys? Not only that, now I am forced to use only certain Doffs for the mission that they were intended. This is another narrow minded view of what you think should be done. If I have a Doff that can do the job better than the one that is intended for it, then I should be able to use that Doff. This is a joke.

That is just the UI you will get for free I am sure there will be better UI's they will sell in the c-store. I hear for 5000 zen you can buy a my little pony UI. Success will be replaced with friendship is magic.
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So there is MK-XIII gear in the Crafting System.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Please tell me you are not doing away with Memory Alpha for good. That is an awesome place.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't get it, can we not do this now. There is no place to exchange out my materials. No where in notes or in the R&D says anything about it.............................
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    karcorner wrote: »
    I don't get it, can we not do this now. There is no place to exchange out my materials. No where in notes or in the R&D says anything about it.............................

Double click on the old crafting materials. It opens a trade-in shop.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    "Materials are found throughout the galaxy where harvesting nodes previously were.
    Materials can also be collected through Duty Officer assignments and PVE Queues."

NEGATIVE on both.

Clusters are just clouds in the sector with DOFF missions, not one can you gain materials or I could not.
    None of my DOFF assignments in any sector give me the ability to get materials.

Okay double clicking the old materials brings up the exchange system, great can start on those.

PS
    DOFF assignment UI really sucks
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Double click on the old crafting materials. It opens a trade-in shop.

Okay thanks going to my bank to try that. I went to clusters where you used to get materials and they are not there anymore. At least I will have my stacks.
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What are Catalysts and where do I get them?
  • Options
    ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know everyone else likes to, but don't forget that the current crafting system is used on Defera for over a dozen missions. I'm sure there are many that would not miss having those things dropping from the borg but it is a good source of xp if you actually do them. I paid for many a rep system just from doing those crafting missions while farming fleet marks.

I also capped the crafting on live on all my captains thanks to that.

Oh and the new doff window takes up about 1/3 my 1080p screen and supplies me with less information. If I decide to chance the suggested doff in an assignment it gives me the crafting bonus instead of showing me what traits they have.

Also, its probably personal preference but I really like having a pie charge of my success chances instead of a set of bars. Something about seeing a big wedge for crit chance instead of the little bar, smaller then the mouse pointer, that is filled some amount.

PS I really like the current doff window layout, with the expection of the worthless suggestions that the game makes, all the information is in a fairly compact easy to parse window. The new doff screen is big, combersome and makes me not want to ever bother with it.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    well this is a new way of doing things. 1 problem, FAW will never see more then 1 stack, because unlike BO, or the cannon skills, it has a 20 second system cooldown, not 15
    yeah, how about FIXING this, please?

every OTHER attack enhancement power in the game has a 30 second CD and a 15 second shared CD, including the only other beam skill, beam overload...why is this one different?
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    All right. I tested the system.

First : The UI is unwieldy. Bad.

Second: The items cost complicated "part" items. Which are just an annoyance to the player. Why not make the items craftable from the materials themselves? Very bad.

Third: Time gated. Bad.

Fourth: Crafting items gives very little xp, this is very very grindy. Very bad.

Fifth: Its a gamble. You can't set rariity of the item. Very bad.

Sixth: The conversion of the old mats is super tedious. Bad.

Seventh: You can craft any weapon type at any mark. Good.

Eight: You can craft any console type at any mark. Good.

Ninth: You can craft anywhere, no need to go to X map for it. Very good.

Tenth: The new doff ui is bad, it doesn't list the "success" chance increasing factors properly, very bad.

So far.

Very good: 1.
    Good: 2
    Bad: 3
    Very bad: 4

So how does this compare to the old crafting, as it was before Dilithium? Badly. The old was better.

The old system had : No dilithium costs, much easier to remember item costs, and no gambling.

Basically, the only thing the current one is good for is giving my alts low level Antiproton weapons.

The 20k dilithium for a most likely white or green item is just.... so bad its funny. Why would anybody ever even try that, instead of going for fleet or reputation gear? Less dilithium an 100% chance of a purple item.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I was playing around a bit with it now on tribble, and I have to say I don't see a reason to use it.

If I want a gamble I open Lockboxes, and if I need gear I go to the Exchange where I get what I want.

This system might be good for people who start fresh into the game but it is very bad for players who are already at LV50.

Other than that it is another grind, and I am so done with grinding, instead of producing story content we get grind after grind after grind, seriously the people responsible for this game should get fired out of a torpedo tube.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    The old system had : No dilithium costs,

Excuse you. Any Even-mark Crafting item, and any Mk XIs, and Aegis, cost "unreplicable materials" that cost dilithium. You could sell them for EC and buy through the Exchange, but someone, somewhere, paid dilithium.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    [*]Ground combat tends to be faster and involve more creatures, which means more items are gained in the same amount of time.
    You know, neither of these points is actually true. Ground combat is faster, right? So...Infected SPACE, 2 minutes, Infected GROUND, 20 minutes...20 minutes is totally faster than 2, right? More items gained, perhaps? Does anyone remember the shower of vendortrash they hauled out of Voth BZ? No? Nobody? Yeah, that didn't happen. Undine BZ, on the other hand...inventoryload of shipguts in one round. Both of these points are simply flat out untrue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hmmm. :cool:

Soooooo... Using this new system I cannot guarantee the quality of the item I wish to craft, or its mods.

No thanks. If I put effort into the crafted item I want then I expect to be able to guarantee that i get the rarity.

Yet another time gate.

Yet another grind/gamble.

Yet more Lockbox mentality. :(

Time gating I can put up with. The element of chance I cannot. So its a non-starter for me, sorry.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tch...im tired of the dilthium costs on crafting -_-....i know they need dil sinks...but they dont need to bleed us dry for something that doesnt even need dil (imo)....that is what the rep and fleet stores are for :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    icegavel wrote: »
    Excuse you. Any Even-mark Crafting item, and any Mk XIs, and Aegis, cost "unreplicable materials" that cost dilithium. You could sell them for EC and buy through the Exchange, but someone, somewhere, paid dilithium.

There was a crafting system before this one that did not require dilithium, this is the third time crafting gets changed.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    bridgern wrote: »
    There was a crafting system before this one that did not require dilithium, this is the third time crafting gets changed.

I was around back then, but I hadn't gotten into that system. But your argument is flawed. That first crafting system were replaced over a year before dilithium was released. So of COURSE it didn't. But it probably would have been if dilithium was in the game at launch.
  • Options
    ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I will also miss the lost of the culsters.

At one point I set myself a challenge. Reach level 50 without ever doing an Episode or patrol. You would not believe the amount of effort it took to get to level 5 using the missions in the clusters, I also did not have any wrapper missions giving me rewards for them since those were higher level. It took me a fairly long time but it got much easier once I got up a couple levels and things started unlocking. It was an amusing way to spend time on 1 alt.

Without the clusters I'm not sure if there is any way to get above level 1 without doing the Episodes. I know the Azure is still calling for my Catian to help them, but I'm busy trying to stop the borg/undine/iconians/whatever right now. Its true I could have hit lvl 5 in less then an hour doing episodes instead of the 3-4 hours it took me to reach level 2 but it was still amusing in its own way. Although I did end up with a LOT of maps that either broke or had faulty terrain. Kept having my Boffs and the enemies falling through the world making them impossible to complete.

On the matter of ships like the Cell ship and its ability to warp to clusters. You have moved that to the interact point for where you would have warped into the cluster before. What exactly happens if a KDF with a Cell ships trys to warp to Delta Volanis Cluster and they don't have the Diplomatic standing to walk into Sirius sector?
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Ignorant. The first two iterations of crafting had no dil cost. So before you attack another's argument.... Do the research!

First iteration had 3 tracts. Was okey.

Second was the old one, without dil costs. Was good.

Third was the old one, with the dil costs. Killed crafting.

Fourth one is this new, stillborn one.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Ignorant. The first two iterations of crafting had no dil cost. DUUUUUUUUUUUH!

Because dilithium didn't exist. DUUUUUUUUUUUH! If Dilithium had been around, it would have had it. The fact that it was added IMMEDIATELY upon the implementation of Dilithium indicates that.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Because dilithium didn't exist. DUUUUUUUUUUUH! If Dilithium had been around, it would have had it. The fact that it was added IMMEDIATELY upon the implementation of Dilithium indicates that.

Ooooh you know that by being the super-prophet of seeing what happened in an alternate past!

Forgive me for doubting you, oh great Captain Hindsight! I was momentarily blinded by your... hahah... towering intellect. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Your old items still exist, but they're not used in the new system.

so will the old items still be used for SB projects or will they get replaced with the new stuff?
    But if the old stuff has no other purpose in the new version, why isn't there a "Convert All" button that does this for us?

it was used for some starbase project but the question is will it still be used for that or will it just fade away and be replaced with the new.
  • Options
    taya4svktaya4svk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am not going through all the 15 pages, that were written since yesterday.
    I had a look on tribble, tried some R&D, had a look at assignments, clusters (DV).

R&D looks a lot like NW crafting. Takes a lot of time and resources to kick it up to higher levels, I will probably just skip crafting things through it.

Clusters, ok you made them just interactable points, which will KILL cell/tuffli use for colonization chains and assignments in them. Now, everyone has to fly to the point separately. Do you hate cooperation so much? Why not make it just an empty map with a nebula in it, so bridge invites will be possible?

And now, the last and worst part. New UI on doff assignments. It is just bad, very, very bad. The old way (currently on holodeck) is fine, didnt need any changing. Now the window is cluttered with TRIBBLE and cant quickly scan through available assignments to see whether there is the one I need. When choosing doffs, I cant see which traits they have (if there are any for crit or failure), only when doff is assigned, the traits light up (when there are any viable for that mission).

All in all, I dont mind the change in crafting, havent done it in long time. But the clusters and new UI should require additional work, even changing UI on doff assignments to the old one would be better. Dont try too hard changing things that are working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]