test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game taken out of Steam.

embrosilembrosil Member Posts: 163 Arc User
Great work Cryptic, now we all can see that your promises that Arc will not affect Steam were far from the truth.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/9900/discussions/0/540743757949411659/

A friend of mine wanted to go back to STO, but guess what. Yes, he can not download the game via Steam. And in no way is he going to install Arc. And even if he installed it, he will NEVER give you his CC number, so he will not buy your Zen. That is what we have a Steam wallet for. That is one customer you have lost. How many more will it take till you realize that people, especially Steam users DO NOT WANT ARC.
Post edited by embrosil on

Comments

• policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Don worry, im pretty sure it is a temporary TRIBBLE up. Most people hates arc and they dont want to get rid of steam and place arc instead. If they force the players to do that, A LOT of players will stop playing the game, im sure of it , and i will need to think seriously if i am not one of those, even if i dont use steam.

Because that step will mean that definitely these guys dont care at all about their customers. And i dont want to play in a game with such companies behind. But as i said, dont worry im sure it is just temporary.
  • jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Tell that to the Chinese subscribers/owners/PWE that would prefer you to use their own stuff instead of an American made system (read: Steam)

be glad that it does not take 6 monthes to get any new contents.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Doooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Begun, the Arc Wars have... :D
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Anybody know how many cassettes I'd need to install and run Star Trek Online on my Vic20?
  • embrosilembrosil Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jestersage wrote: »
    Tell that to the Chinese subscribers/owners/PWE that would prefer you to use their own stuff instead of an American made system (read: Steam)

be glad that it does not take 6 monthes to get any new contents.
    They can prefer all they want. Most Americans and Europeans will not drive a Yugo (arc) if they can drive a Ferrari (Steam).
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Don worry, im pretty sure it is a temporary TRIBBLE up.

I'm with policestate76 on this. Steam already got an exclusive package with STO (Steamrunner and all that), so in order to keep honoring that arrangement and to sell more of those packages STO will have to stay with Steam.

Most likely this is a bug that needs fixing. I'll test this myself on another computer later on.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i do use it via steam or ARC but just looked and its their
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    They keep accidentally breaking Steam's connection with STO roughly every third update. It's just worse this time than usual (usually it's just the overlay or the wallet that gets broken).

File a bug report and pass your friend to use the link in my sig for a no-launcher downloader for the time being.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    edited June 2014
    edited June 2014
    Needs to installs my STOs, man!

Download Arc.
    Install STO.
    Uninstall Arc, select leave games.
    Add STO to Steam library (the game will still be there, you don't need to use Arc to launch STO even if you have Arc installed).

Make fun of people crying on multiple forums...

edit: I sure as Hell don't run STO with Arc open, eating up additional resources and all that garbage. Hell, just like I wouldn't run STO with Steam open, eating up additional resources and all that garbage.
    edited June 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    They keep accidentally breaking Steam's connection with STO roughly every third update. It's just worse this time than usual (usually it's just the overlay or the wallet that gets broken).

File a bug report and pass your friend to use the link in my sig for a no-launcher downloader for the time being.

Thanks, I have passed him the link.
    edited June 2014
    Needs to installs my STOs, man!

Download Arc.
    Install STO.
    Uninstall Arc, select leave games.
    Add STO to Steam library (the game will still be there, you don't need to use Arc to launch STO even if you have Arc installed).

Make fun of people crying on multiple forums...

Hve you read my post? Point 1 is a no go.
    edited June 2014
    embrosil wrote: »

He's not going to install the application for a few minutes? Long enough to have it add the STO launcher? Then uninstall it. Start up the STO launcher and have it patch.

I mean...seriously...
    edited June 2014
    They can prefer all they want. Most Americans and Europeans will not drive a Yugo (arc) if they can drive a Ferrari (Steam).

In some place they call Yugo a ferrari... and they are the one have moolah.

Face it: As soon as PWE took over Cryptic, everything gone to ****. In fact iot was PWE that forced STO to go F2P even though Cryptic said no, and Neverwinter just gave a middle finger to subscriber model.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Well, he is a thought then...

Copy your install to a removeable drive, drag and drop on his PC.

There you go, he can now play - no install needed :P
    edited June 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Well, he is a thought then...

Copy your install to a removeable drive, drag and drop on his PC.

There you go, he can now play - no install needed :P

He will use the link from starswordc. However he will not buy any Zen, so no profit for Cryptic.
    edited June 2014
    He will use the link from starswordc. However he will not buy any Zen, so no profit for Cryptic.

There you go! Don't support the company providing the service in any fashion! That's the spirit! That's what's made America and most of Europe the countries they are today!

/facepalm
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There you go! Don't support the company providing the service in any fashion! That's the spirit! That's what's made America and most of Europe the countries they are today!

/facepalm

But aren't the keys to our wallets the most efficient way to letting cryptic know whether they're on the right path or not?

Shouldn't Cryptic take a leaf out of the airlines book perhaps....."we know you have a choice in MMO providers etc".
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    But aren't the keys to our wallets the most efficient way to letting cryptic know whether they're on the right path or not?

Shouldn't Cryptic take a leaf out of the airlines book perhaps....."we know you have a choice in MMO providers etc".

Well kinda? ZEN sales go to PWE first, who then approves the operating budget for Cryptic Studios. So in order to affect the operating budget Cryptic gets, you'll have to affect the pool of ZEN PWE gets from all of its games.

Also, I view the choice in MMO providers as in a choice of different types of transportation as opposed to choice in airlines. It's more akin to picking over traveling by car versus traveling by train versus traveling by plane, than Delta versus Virgin versus KLM. Now if there was another Star Trek MMO, then yes, it would be like competing airlines.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited June 2014

Of course it is the key. It's a good indication that they should make it even more Chinese/Asian friendly, since they are the one that will buy Zen and farm zen (infact alreayd got a bunch of these ads)

Key to the market only work if you do represent majority of the market. Stop being so naive that only Americans and European play this game. If you do not like it, I can say for certain there are plenty other MMOs that are just as good f not better that are more suitable to your desired economical model.
    edited June 2014

He's not talking about playing another game. He's talking about still playing STO.

Yes, folks should speak with their wallets - if a provider is not providing, find another.

But that's not what he said there, and thus the /facepalm about it.

The friend is going to download the launcher - continue to play STO - but not contribute to Cryptic making a profit. Um, hello? Without making a profit, Cryptic can't continue to invest in the game. It's that ludicrous kind of thinking that caused the /facepalm about it.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,914 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Doooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I seriously lolled at your sig
    sig.jpg
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The fact that it's still there means it wasn't removed. It just means something is broken.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I still use the CD, but it's still on steam, and i can DL it, soooo did i miss something? :confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I still use the CD, but it's still on steam, and i can DL it, soooo did i miss something? :confused:

Me too, still has the 'play now' option that'll trigger the download. It may be different for someone who's never touched the game though.

I'm reasonably sure that in time Steam will be phased out and Arc will be responsible for everything Cryptic - but they wouldn't just take it out overnight, plenty of players still use Steam. It's a stupid move to alienate a decent chunk of their playerbase by removing all support, but I'm sure they'd give some notice first at least.
    edited June 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Me too, still has the 'play now' option that'll trigger the download. It may be different for someone who's never touched the game though.

I'm reasonably sure that in time Steam will be phased out and Arc will be responsible for everything Cryptic - but they wouldn't just take it out overnight, plenty of players still use Steam. It's a stupid move to alienate a decent chunk of their playerbase by removing all support, but I'm sure they'd give some notice first at least.

It wouldn't simply be a stupid move in alienating a chunk of their playerbase - it would adversely affect their revenue stream. As long as it is still profitable to work with Steam, they'll continue to do so.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Doooooooooom!
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Steam fanboys...:rolleyes:

(this is in no way an endorsement of Arc)
This discussion has been closed.