What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game taken out of Steam.

Comments

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be Sinophobia?

You are technically correct, the best kind of correct.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    Exactly the above. Steam breaks like once a month if not more often with Cryptic's two titles. The Steam Wallet fails to work with the Zen Store, or the game suddenly goes poof, or who knows what exactly.

It happens. It happens very often. And it takes multiple days to fix for whatever reason.

Said reason likely being PWE obstructing the STEAM way. Which is to say, short of breaching contract with VALVe, they continue to make it difficult, if not impossible, to really work properly thru STEAM. Usually this manifests itself in subtle passive-aggressive behavior (like offering no bonus Zen via the STEAM wallet, akin to what they do on Arc). Or to have both PWE games (notice a pattern, here?) mysteriously not work thru STEAM, allegedly because of some misconfiguration -- meanwhile hoping ppl will use the downtime to switch to Arc and stay there.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited June 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    You are technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Technically, sinophobia = xenophobia, but not all xenophobia = sinophobia.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Steam had a meltdown on me last week, lost all my other games & told me i was using a diif PC !!!!!! sorted it but it would not run sto so used arc,,,,,,just uninstalled arc and tried steam again & its working fine......:) apart from buying zen, it go's to the arc web site not steam's.....:( no money for cryptis then,,,,,,
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Said reason likely being PWE obstructing the STEAM way. Which is to say, short of breaching contract with VALVe, they continue to make it difficult, if not impossible, to really work properly thru STEAM. Usually this manifests itself in subtle passive-aggressive behavior (like offering no bonus Zen via the STEAM wallet, akin to what they do on Arc). Or to have both PWE games (notice a pattern, here?) mysteriously not work thru STEAM, allegedly because of some misconfiguration -- meanwhile hoping ppl will use the downtime to switch to Arc and stay there.

What do they have to gain by that?

If any contracts are broken, it is more likely to be APIs contracts, aka software problems.

Breaking legal contracts is a bit of a more serious issue, and can lead to actual financial repercussions.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    anything about it yet, is it still a glitch?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Steam's working OK, well for me, but it still go's to arc when trying to buy zen.....
    edited June 2014
    Edit: And if a person is smarter than a pet rock he or she will save that website to their browser favorites and then they'll never have to go into ARC to buy Zen again.

I actually did. I'm not a complete moonbrain. :) But, last time I checked, the old 'charge' page no longer has the bonus/promotional offers of Zen integrated any more, either.

Rule of thumb: whenever they tell you the website is down for a change to the 'backend' server, what they really mean is, they took some existing functionality out, and made it an Arc-only thingy now.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Um. I can understand having issues with having to use the Arc launcher-launcher thingy. But... What's wrong with using the new website to purchase Zen? This is swiftly moving from illogical to... completely ridiculous.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    mvp333 wrote: »
    Um. I can understand having issues with having to use the Arc launcher-launcher thingy. But... What's wrong with using the new website to purchase Zen? This is swiftly moving from illogical to... completely ridiculous.

Because it's ALSO Arc. Arc = the devil.
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited June 2014
    just hope arc will go down one day with pwe and the rest of the creepy crowd.I had STO on steam since beta and now I can't install it....thank you.
  • zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay and have fun beating one of the many dead horses.
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Has this person tried checking its not a problem directly with Steam Itself?

I have had countless issues in the past that I had to delete my steam folders and re install it to get a new game to download

Edit - Never mind I re read the linked page and this didn't work , Note to self read more before posting replies
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2014

welcome to gaming forums, our goals are to make crazy conspiracy theorists say, "now that is just a little paranoid."

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I personally like the part where the crazy conspiracy theorists are totally willing to trade one form of intrusive, obnoxious spyware for an even bigger, more intrusive form of obnoxious spyware. Do they not realize that both "Steam" and "Arc" are the same thing: Obnoxious, intrusive spyware?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I personally like the part where the crazy conspiracy theorists are totally willing to trade one form of intrusive, obnoxious spyware for an even bigger, more intrusive form of obnoxious spyware. Do they not realize that both "Steam" and "Arc" are the same thing: Obnoxious, intrusive spyware?

the funny thing is... I got like 3 or 4 of them on my computer. oddly enough I tend to miiss most bugs. and far as I know no strange purchases have poped up. so the most they get is how much of my life I'm wasting on their game.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited June 2014

Because China.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Usually this manifests itself in subtle passive-aggressive behavior (like offering no bonus Zen via the STEAM wallet, akin to what they do on Arc).

You know why PWE doesn't give bonus Zen via Steam? I'd say it's really simple.

Steam themselves no doubt takes a portion of the money given to PWE this way.

5%? 10%? Only PWE and Steam knows, and there's no way that anyone else will find out. But I'd be very surprised to find out that this isn't the truth.

Of course, Paypal no doubt takes their cut too if you go via that route, and I think that does give bonus Zen... *shrugs*
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Member Posts: 249
    edited June 2014
    The game works without steam or arc..so how is this a problem at all?
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    The game works without steam or arc..so how is this a problem at all?

But not for much longer if Cryptic is to be believed. They've flat out said that ARC will be required Soon(tm), but that Steam will keep working, because they realize that using a launcher (Steam) to run a launcher (ARC) is dumb.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited June 2014
    But not for much longer if Cryptic is to be believed. They've flat out said that ARC will be required Soon(tm), but that Steam will keep working, because they realize that using a launcher (Steam) to run a launcher (ARC) is dumb.

You're forgetting the part where Steam has the exclusive Steam bundle for STO which can only be purchased through Steam.

Steam is another source of income for PWE, even if Valve takes a small percentage of the sales.

It has less to do with multiple launchers and more to do with the fact PWE wants to make money.

Start worrying about STO not being supported by Steam if the Steam bundle gets removed (publically, not because of a bug or glitch) from the Steam store. Until that happens, there is no reason to believe PWE wants to shoot themselves in the foot because China.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Member Posts: 249
    edited June 2014

Ah i see, well the game belongs to PWE now... ARC is okay so far i have not noticed any bugs ... tbh i dont even think ARC does anything...lol

and i dont think its game breaking that we have to use arc or cant use steam.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    Ah i see, well the game belongs to PWE now... ARC is okay so far i have not noticed any bugs ... tbh i dont even think ARC does anything...lol

and i dont think its game breaking that we have to use arc or cant use steam.

Arc doesn't really do anything. It runs, it pulls content from the web to display in the client, and it installs and launches PWE games.

It's not spyware, it's not adware, it's really not any form of malware. I checked it with a fine tooth comb. There is nothing wrong or malicious about it.
  • macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thing is launchers for companies that have multiple games isn't a new thing. The crazy people on the forums, that make up rumors about viruses and spyware show that they are just that, crazy. Really it just helps us know who to avoid in-game. :D
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
    edited June 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Arc doesn't really do anything. It runs, it pulls content from the web to display in the client, and it installs and launches PWE games.

It's not spyware, it's not adware, it's really not any form of malware. I checked it with a fine tooth comb. There is nothing wrong or malicious about it.

That's what I'd expect to hear from someone who supports Spyware, Adware, and Malware in regards to ARC!
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014

It's hardly obnoxious or intrusive, considering that you can tell it to just not start automatically. And if you want to give it a malware descriptor, adware would be more appliceable, since the main feature is advertising stuff.

When I have the choice between Arc and Steam, I probably pick Steam, because the ads there are more suited for my interests.
    But if I have the choice of launching with Steam, Arc, or the old Cryptic installer, i pick the latter, because it's the fastest and most focused thing to come up. I already got a webbrowser running at all times, no need to launch a second one for STO..
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited June 2014

trolling much?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014

even if it were true, your gonna have to choose one or the other at some point assuming this steam glitch is solved (and yet still no one has bothered to answer my earlier question on the subject). il throw in another idea to your, what if using steam you still have to login through arc like the assassin's creed games, 2 launchers? nothing stated that pwe couldnt do that and get away with it "can be played through steam, working as intended"!!!
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2014
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    trolling much?
    Not really. I see no evidence to believe otherwise when it comes to this "Steam" business. It's a form of insidious spyware coupled to a distribution platform. That many may have come to naively accept it and its monitoring habits does not change the facts. The simple fact of the matter is that it monitors your activities and contents of your computer, and then phones them home. This is spyware. I don't care what justification they attempt to feed me, this behavior is spying, pure and simple. The fact that they try to paint this behavior as benign and even helpful makes it INSIDIOUS spyware.
    It's hardly obnoxious or intrusive, considering that you can tell it to just not start automatically. And if you want to give it a malware descriptor, adware would be more appliceable, since the main feature is advertising stuff.
    Sure, you could not start it automatically, but remember: It worms itself into all your games, making it practically mandatory to start it unless you resort to shady means of excising it. Once you have done so, it commences...the SPYING. It tells its masters when you are playing. What you are playing. What's on your computer. And godknowswhat else. It is an evil, evil piece of spyware that does not belong on my computer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.