What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Risa 2014 Feedback

Comments

• Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Swimsuit color scheme needs a gray/black option.

Otherwise, great work.
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Event seems fine to me so far.

The issue about the boards is true, although from what i've seen the people who've splashed lobi/ec to get the best board always seem to overshoot the 1st flag by miles!
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    admiralgillisadmiralgillis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm really hating the hoverboard race. They used that horrible mechanic from the foot race at the Winter event where you have to grab the flag at the end. Server lag ensures that if you place, you will never get your flag. I just got second place with a huge lead, clicked my flag 20 times, and it still didn't pick up. I ended up having to circle around and get my 2 favors for not placing.

This is TRIBBLE implementation. Surely you can come up with a way to tag our place once we cross the line.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm really hating the hoverboard race. They used that horrible mechanic from the foot race at the Winter event where you have to grab the flag at the end. Server lag ensures that if you place, you will never get your flag. I just got second place with a huge lead, clicked my flag 20 times, and it still didn't pick up. I ended up having to circle around and get my 2 favors for not placing.

This is TRIBBLE implementation. Surely you can come up with a way to tag our place once we cross the line.

Isn't it 5 favors for placing?
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    bbushwookiebbushwookie Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Sometimes you don't have a choice, especially when you have a small fleet that demands you work on projects daily. Would be nice if Cryptic would support small fleets, but they don't.

I understand. I had a small fleet that bailed. now i am solo on my fleet and pushing tier 3. You just have to take a break here and there and then get back to it. otherwise it's never going to be fulfilling or enjoyable.
    Space chatter is soothing~
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014

What they said about the flags during the winter event was that due to lag a traditional "cross the finish-line" mechanic wouldn't work properly, but I agree, this isn't the best solution either, especially since it's so hard to control those hoverboards precisely.

My only major issue is that during the daytime, it is too bright to see the yellow objective markers or the floater course against the sand. I may have to adjust the contrast on my monitor.
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Two major complaints for this event.

One: The paltry "rewards" for making a sandcastle. Two favors is rather pathetic (Five during the special time), especially when you consider the fifteen min cool down. This almost seems like a bug to me, since two favors does seem reasonable when you first complete the mission (Since then all you do is the first section). The more complex you get on the sand castle, the more favors you should get (Say up too ten, with twenty during the special).

Two: The events don't trigger often enough. Once every hour sucks, especially since we need to save up so many favors for the good stuff (That's only usable on Risa...). This would be fine if we had more little things to do, for comparison, the Winter Event has the pie eating contest, a chef to make winter foods, and a PvE match. All of these are things we can do in between the major stuff. Furthermore, the events during the Winter happen multiple times during the hour (The snowman fight happens twice and the PvP race happens four times an hour)

It should be like this in the Summer Event too. Each of the activities should occur at least twice an hour. They can overlap each other some.

All that said, the activities themselves are enjoyable, and exploring the island is quite fun.
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What they said about the flags during the winter event was that due to lag a traditional "cross the finish-line" mechanic wouldn't work properly, but I agree, this isn't the best solution either, especially since it's so hard to control those hoverboards precisely.

You know what's funny?

A while back (a year or more?), Champions Online had a race in the sky with their own vehicle mechanic. It had issues with 'cross a certain point and X happens' at times, but most of the bugs were ironed out before the event ended.

Basically it worked just fantastically like 99% of the time.

And yet...STO uses a newer version of the Cryptic Engine. They mean to tell us that they had more problems setting up crossing a finish line in 2D space, verses the 3D space that they had in CO (said race track flew all around the main city zone, up and down and all over the place)?

...wow.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    frakrfrakr Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What do you expect? They want people to spend thousands of Lobi to get all the fancy stuff.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One other thing I'm realizing, they really nerfed earning Favors this year. So far in 3 hours I only earned 50 favors. And that was almost entirely in the H Hunt. :(
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yes, they really nerfed earning Favors this year. All those outfits, then factor in those with multiple alts.............that's just torture.

Then factor in those poor people who wasn't here last year have to work even more..............
  • Options
    madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Swimsuit color scheme needs a gray/black option.

Otherwise, great work.

wetsuit for both sexes needs to work off risa with other stuff on like boots and all that. it looks really tactical to me when i edited it in photoshop with those things on too. Wish we could use it off the planet since I never come to Risa anyway.
  • Options
    tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I agree with the costs that you put up on the favors needed per toon. Now the amount extra needed by females is 3750 more favors. One thing i think the programers who are all male forgot is that all women want everything. The swimsuits are like shoes, you can't have enough, but they made this impossible.

My suggestions would be:

1) Allow people to trade pearls for favors. As we need less pearls now for alt toons, people will still be doing the floater race through out the whole event on each toon.

2) Add doff away missions to party on Risa!

3) Lower the cost of the stuff in the stores.

4) add bonus favors to dance contest if you can do fan dance, samba, or adv samba. So the instructor at some point will call out 2 dances for you to choose between.

5) Raise the cost of the mens suff by 1250 favors each o make them equal to female toon cost for everything.

I will say I was dis-appointed in that there were no new floater paths for superior floaters to try.

The whole powerboard race being like the ice race makes it stupid. I hate the having to grab the flag, it should just be crossing the line. Because in both if your connection is just a little faster you can win, and they loose 2nd place to someone else as the flag moves to the side so neck and neck races do not happen more often.

Also the amount of favors needed now will also keep the auction costs up for favors. Who is going to sell favors for cheap, as so many are needed? If you keep auction pirces super high all you do is return the game to pay to win, pay to play, and you will only loose players and not keep them.

PS: You could say that you are doing a war against female toons for the summer event as the costs for females is much higher than the males. In Star Trek there is no such thing, so in keeping with cannon of the series, you should do something.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    reads like the risa event was half baked this year, a lot of miscommunication or none at all and there were no focus points that were added for this year through dev blogs. not really surprising considering the expansion later on and earlier in the year the 8472 invasion. i have yet to play the event yet, i have decided later today if im upto it otherwise saturday and sunday i show my mug there on risa and see what its about.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why the hell is it so hard to earn favors? And why is everything so damn expensive? With last years gains it wouldn't have been to bad, but getting stuff this year so far has been... well... not fun.
    wetsuit for both sexes needs to work off risa with other stuff on like boots and all that. it looks really tactical to me when i edited it in photoshop with those things on too. Wish we could use it off the planet since I never come to Risa anyway.

All swimwear should be. But I'm going to leave it at that lest some chastity belts get rattled.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My feedback:

Crappy disco ball buffing to make the troll tool popular only makes me angry at Cryptic.
    Sand castle building is horrible and buggy. Not enough spots, and some are placed so badly that if you need sticks for your sandcastle they are so far away that you can't get them on foot before it collapses. I also had the prompt to drench my foundations disappear, resulting in the destruction of the castle.
    Ship and console: Completely uninteresting.
    Hoverboard race: Different boards with different speeds to TRIBBLE over people who payed for many alts and the crappy winning mechanic from the winter race, made ten times worse by hoverboarding being even more slippery than ice-running.
    Swimwear? Too expensive for being only usable on one planet and takes an extra costume slot (that's then also only usable on one planet. Bad, bad business.

For me the summer event will consist of Horgah'n hunts and bird breeding. The development resources would have better been used somewhere else. Which is kind of a shame. The first time I stood on a hoverboard I really wished for an episode set on Risa.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    frakrfrakr Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There is a very simple solution to the problem: don't play Risa content or focus on getting the giveaway ships. Everything else there is just fancy vanity stuff (OK, maybe besides the bird breeding for rep/fleet marks).
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    My feedback:
    For me the summer event will consist of Horgah'n hunts and bird breeding. The development resources would have better been used somewhere else. Which is kind of a shame. The first time I stood on a hoverboard I really wished for an episode set on Risa.

My sentiments exactly, the other events just isn't worth it.

Why the hell is it so hard to earn favors? And why is everything so damn expensive? With last years gains it wouldn't have been to bad, but getting stuff this year so far has been... well... not fun..

I think Cryptic has the impression that grinding = fun. All I can say is that they ruined it.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    relax people, if the winter event is any indication they'll be increasing drops.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I want them to increase usage of the suits off the planet and colors too.
  • Options
    anyonkaanyonka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've noticed that I'm standing around alot with nothing more to do. If they added an extra hunt in I'd be happy. Plus reduce the cost of the swimwear please.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The costs are just astronomical this year...

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am fine with the huge costs involved to get all the vanity items. By doing it this way your toons may still have something to do next year during the summer event rather than the devs constantly having to add more and more things to buy all the time. If you did get everything would you then be starting threads next year saying how there is nothing to do?

I personally am happy with the event so far especially since they made ship acquisition so alt friendly :cool:

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    turbionturbion Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My main issue with the event is that we have an insane amount of dead time when we can't really do much. Waiting to have fun is not the way to go, especially for an event that's supposed to be fun.

Furthermore, the relatively high cost of floaters/powerboards/swimwear/etc and the fact that they can only be used on Risa provide even less incentive to participate in the event. I very much appreciate, however, the massive discount on ships and I'll actually got for it (the corvette at least, as I didn't get it last year).
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just another event I'll be skipping. Not the first one I've skipped, sure it won't be the last.
  • Options
    cptoreillycptoreilly Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    When I can I do. I don't even have time to work on the Foundry mission I been working on since the Foundry went live.

Sometimes you don't have a choice, especially when you have a small fleet that demands you work on projects daily. Would be nice if Cryptic would support small fleets, but they don't.

This is what they are not getting. A lot of us have other things to do in the game. Combine that with general play time and it just doesn't work for some people. I have a job, a kid, and a dog. I can't spend uncopious amounts of time on STO. Even if I did, why would I want to be standing around Risa waiting for one of those events to kick off. @turbion said it best. There's too much dead time between them.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    To be honest the only things you can use off-world are the two ships so that is all I'll be going for. And you've got over a month to do it in and only need to run the floater event 25 times to get a ship so it's not even that grindy.
    Even getting them on alt toons only takes a day each!
    Just nice to not be blowing things up for a change and I can easily fit in one run on the floater event per day as it takes maybe 10 mins at most.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    rybaksixrybaksix Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Scavenger hunt was perfect last year, 2 runs an hour. The flag problem is sooo annoying and the daft castles is a joke so far.

The timers are off on scavenger hunt. It lasts less then supposed to. I did about 12 runs on scav so far 1 egg. I know its random but seriously ...