Options

Risa 2014 Feedback

Comments

• Options
    borthaniusborthanius Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    Are they not both fruit?
    My only point, which was obviously easy to ignore, was that grabbing stationary objects from a fast-moving vehicle happens in real life and is therefore not completely absurd to happen in a game.

??? I know of no race in this world where you have to cross the line & grab a flag. Your point is not only easy to ignore, it's impossible to understand. Why don't you ask yourself what is the point of a finish line in a race? Name one RACE on this planet where you have to cross a line & grab a flag & I'll concede the point, otherwise... There is a horse race in Asia I've heard of where you have to grab flags during a race, but again you do not grab a flag after you've crossed the finish line. It's just dumb & not well thought out... typical Cryptic/PWE.
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There should be classes of the race, people with the different board types compete in their own separate races. There could either be separate instances with the different power board races or the different power board races could happen at different times (this is probably the easiest way to go programing wise).

The biggest issue I see with this suggestion though is incentive. The Incentive to grind for and get the other boards. If you compete in different races then what's the incentive to get the different boards other than standard? One reason could be competition, there will be less people with the better boards so if you grind out for those you could have a better opportunity to place. Another option is that you could scale the rewards based on which class your board is in (For example, the base reward for finishing in standard is five, enhanced could be ten, and superior could be fifteen).
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Events:

- Floater course for pearls can be done in a rental with almost no effort -- no compelling reason to get a better floater to be honest, since we can just site-to-site between locations.

- Dancing is the most rewarding event, but the least compelling. I can't really offer any suggestions to improve it, though.

- Horga'hn hunt would be more fun if the locations weren't marked on the minimap and you had to use your tricorder to find them instead IMO.

- Would prefer a race without the flags. I think the most fair way of eliminating them would be to have a separate course for each category of board. If it's a choice between flags or better boards always winning, keep the flags.

- A little more reward for sand castle building would be nice. The bucket issue seems to be gone already...probably since people decided castles aren't worth the time investment. But they are. You can build a castle in the downtime between other events, which a lot of players don't seem to have caught onto, to pad out your favors a bit.

Prices:

- I think clothing is reasonable. Strangely my favorites are all 500, the more expensive elaborate ones are ugly to me.

- Glad that favors aren't account bound (I was pretty happy when I realized they weren't character bound, not being account bound blew my mind).

- Very rare DOFFs are probably overpriced. Until I find out if they can be paired with the rares, I might not even consider them for, what, a 3% higher chance? (Alternately, rares are underpriced - the balance here is definitely skewed one way or another, and I can't really say without having used those DOFFs)

Other:

- Women aren't exactly "well-groomed" looking in the bikini bottoms...

- More swimwear options for males would've been appreciated. As it is, this comes off as kind of sexist...nothing wrong with having lots of female styles, yet it seems like there is since there are so few male styles. Even the same basic shorts with different patterns would've been nice...

- The swimwear palette could use some grays and blacks. But don't get me wrong, I love how many subtle shade variations this palette has, I was able to get my outfits' colors perfect!

- I really wish turning in eggs/tags was on a 20 hour timer instead of 24. You never realize how much you appreciate 20 hour "dailies" until they're not there, you hop on early on the weekend, only to find you can't do anything for 4+ hours. And if you fall behind for whatever reason, it only gets later...

-- On that note, I wish eggs/tags weren't character bound. I'm probably going to have more than I can possibly turn in on my main, I'm not taking my alts to Risa except for pearls, so it'd be nice if I could pass off some eggs/tags for them to raise too.

Ships

- You can fly ships in this game? I kinda forgot. They're nice, I suppose. Not my style.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »
    There should be classes of the race, people with the different board types compete in their own separate races. There could either be separate instances with the different power board races or the different power board races could happen at different times (this is probably the easiest way to go programing wise).

The biggest issue I see with this suggestion though is incentive. The Incentive to grind for and get the other boards. If you compete in different races then what's the incentive to get the different boards other than standard? One reason could be competition, there will be less people with the better boards so if you grind out for those you could have a better opportunity to place. Another option is that you could scale the rewards based on which class your board is in (For example, the base reward for finishing in standard is five, enhanced could be ten, and superior could be fifteen).

That would be interesting. There's plenty of room for multiple tracks.
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I does need to be broken up on to classes.. depending on the type of board used.

I'm currently using the first board up from the rental right now... And Also used to sim race quite a bit. AGainst players with much faster boards I've actully managed to pull 4th and 5th place somewhat consistantly. Those old sim racing skills coming back.

But it could use a few things.. lets see, a throttle..(some speed other then as fast as you can possibly go), Brakes..(other then letting off the gas) the course isn't bad.. and the board control
    isn't perfect, and I'm actually totally ok with that.. after all, your controlling the direction of the board by shifting your body on the board..(simulated, not real.. real would be better.. but simulated will do)

Break the competition up in to classes depending on the board... everyone can race at the same time, but your reward depends on how well you did in YOUR class... Much like Trans/Am motorsports competitions where there are several classes on the course at the same time.. from the amazing LMP classes down to sport coupes.. I'd love to see a multi lap race on a closed Multilap course... and there shouldonly one lane "lanes" it works fines in anime, and the movies, but real competitions happen on a fixed course...

You coulld have a "slalom" course where you have to hit marks to win.. miss to many gates, and your out... tighter course, smaller gates, greater difficulty, greater rewards. You could have "times rally courses where going "full speed" is not the best stratagy.. going through a segment in a set amount of time is the goal.. go too fast or too slow effects your points.. and all good rallsy have a dash segment where you go just as fast through the section as you can...*grin*

I like the boards.. I think they're a great mechanic.. but more could be done with them to turn it into a real mini game instead of a diversion.

Power board Risa pro circuit! Bring it on!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    ensignswensonensignswenson Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    Are they not both fruit?
    My only point, which was obviously easy to ignore, was that grabbing stationary objects from a fast-moving vehicle happens in real life and is therefore not completely absurd to happen in a game.

There's a fruit in here alright! What's absurd is arguing for the sake of arguing...I smell a fan boy in here and it reeks more like rotten potato's than any fruit I know of.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I did my first race this morning. Using the regular 50 board. I thought the course was fun and not too hard to do. I did get dismounted for going around a corner not right and ended up on the beach. But I did finish the race and not in last either. At that time I didn't care to win much as I was doing it for fun. Will I do it again, of course. That is what it matters to have more fun.

I agree with classes as you should be in placed which on you bought. However this is what also usually fails at any PVP event. Your always out classed to some degree. Even on another game, I first hit the PVP field. And was nothing but cannon fodder to the ones who all full PVP gear. I wasn't in a group that was my current gear level.

To me its more of having fun. With the powerboard races, I'm there for fun.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    shamus176shamus176 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hmm.... what was the clue for that part again?

anyways, you can always see Pavyl, whether you have the quest or not.

It was about the Arches but i found out why i didn't work. I didn't realize i had to go chat with Pavyl during the day after each time i found him at night. All taken care of now so as far as i know i have no more accolades left , yay :)
  • Options
    jmanwinjmanwin Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Less traction/more momentum/more potential loss of inertia on the boards would probably be the best and simplest short term change. That would also make the faster boards more challenging to use than the slower ones. I feel bad for the designer of the medium boards, because nobody is ever going to see those in action as things stand now. You get the fastest board or you get 2 tags, whether it's the 2nd fastest board or the rental.

I love the board balancing animation and wonder if there were plans for an actual balancing mechanic in the gameplay that couldn't be implemented in a timely manner. Having to lean side-to-side to turn the board instead of just pointing the board in the direction you want definitely would have been better. Maybe next year?

I hate the flag-grabbing mechanic, but I assume that's a workaround to get the competitive races to work fairly for all racers within the limitations of the game engine. There must be some problem with having 4 overlapping arrival zones that work like in the single player races. On the chance though that it's not done for competitiveness/cheat-prevention reasons but rather to streamline putting reward items in the players hands, I'd much rather have arrival zones instead of flags even if I have to go to a npc to collect my prize afterward.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm really enjoying the races. I don't have one of the superior boards, and have no real desire to get one (I like the enhanced board I already have, even if it isn't the fastest); I still have fun even if I don't have a prayer against the better boards.

I agree that the track isn't terribly impressive, and that class races would be a good idea. I like to imagine that what we have now is just a fun little prototype.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I haven't completed the races you really need to purchase a powerboard and have it ready so you can get into the race instead of renting one. I enjoy the powerboard a lot more than jet flyer. I'll end up getting both and keep them handy. I do agree there should be different levels of races so those with the super duper powerboards don't out run the rental, $50 or $500 powerboards. They need also to make the flag pick-up a bit wider so you don't miss it and the end of the race.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    chitowngrizz420chitowngrizz420 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hylanvahr wrote: »
    ^^This!

I lost count how many winter and summer event races I've lost because of either missing the flag after legitimately crossing the finish line 1st, or losing 2nd or 3rd place because of flag trolls that wait for you to get close, then snatch away what you earned with skill and time investment.

Cryptic, I'm sorry, but you have no excuses. Your former co-worker, Gozer, proved you guys can do things with invisible trigger lines in this archaic game engine back when he co-developed the ground Borg STF missions, Infected Ground especially. These lines can come into play when these races are activated.

Make. It. Happen. Please.

Thanks hylanvahr aka Del, I new you would agree with me and bust out some facts to back it up :)
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    U.S.S. Chicago NCC 1833-C
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One thing about the race the boggels my mind is that they actually have the ability to use cross the line to win, just look at the winter race to get pics of Q. Granted, that is a single player race, but if they can do that for single players, why not for a group of players?

The race itself is a good idea, and fun to do, but the grab a flag for the "podium" finish is poorly implemented... Just imagine how that would work in say Formula 1 racing, would kinda defeat the purpose of the entire race, no?

Other than the race finish mechanic, and the sandcastle thingymajig giving out nearly non existant rewards, the rest is ok.

I really like the new pearl mechanics too, only need one char to grind the 1000 pearls, and then 40 for the rest. Stroke of genius there Cryptic...
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A minor thing that really should have been spotted before the event went live is the timer on the horgh'ha hunt being out by like a minute at least.
    Not a huge problem as ou just -1 min from the timer, but why have one in the first place if you can't set it to work properly!
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    otowi wrote: »
    One thing about the race the boggels my mind is that they actually have the ability to use cross the line to win, just look at the winter race to get pics of Q. Granted, that is a single player race, but if they can do that for single players, why not for a group of players?
    It's not that they can't, it's that they don't.

One limitation of the engine is that, if two players are actually tied, each of them will see himself as coming in first. Thus if the game actually used "proper" finish lines, people would complain because they thought they were ahead, when they really weren't. :(
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Risa has a big beautiful beach and lots of nice fishing spots all around the island but, you don't see anyone in the water with a beach ball or people fishing. Whats up with that. That would be the first thing I would expect to see.
    On the other side of the island would be a great spot for a fishing tournment. There could also be pvp vollyball games. Winners get 50 flavors for the high score during a 5 minute game. Good lord Cryptic!!!!!!! Grilled blasphemus jesus cheese !!!!!!!!! You guys could have made risa the disney land of MMO games. Man did you guys miss a oportunity.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Risa has a big beautiful beach and lots of nice fishing spots all around the island but, you don't see anyone in the water with a beach ball or people fishing. Man did you guys miss a oportunity.

I agree...but this game is an exercise in missed opportunities.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    destoroyahsdestoroyahs Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    They could always place the 2nd/3rd/and remainder finish lines alittle further back from each other to help prevent close overlap issues. They got the tech in the game already, they just got to refine it and implement.
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We seriously need an adjustment to Favor to Time ratio. Not everyone can grind 10 hours a day for all the 11 swimsuits, the 3 DOFFs, and the 2 powerboards--especially if you have multiple characters.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    j0hn41j0hn41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So far I've been having a good time on Risa.

Didn't do the event last year so I can't really speak to how the favor rewards compare. I think passable now, though it would be nice if the events were more frequent. I know some would overlap, but that would be fine – the winter race often overlapped with the snowman fight. Wouldn't punish people who play in short intense bursts. I often find my self waiting for the next thing to happen.

The race is pretty fun – would like to know what's up with those speed boosts though. Is it like the Race Breen at the winter event, where the second player always got to go first – the second person on the ramp gets the boost?

The biggest thing that's go me down right now is the egg drop rate from the hunt. I did 8 or 9 consecutive runs and came up empty. I mean, that’s 8 or 9 hours. Wasn't playing the whole time but really, that's pretty terrible. Must have done over 30 runs and have only come up with 3.

To my eternal shame, I had to buy an egg from the vendor to keep them going. I've always felt the items you can acquire through other means were only in the store for the rich or the lazy, not those who are working their tails off and have somehow inadvertently pissed off whatever deity controls the random numbers.

Yeah, I know it's random, a friend of mine has gotten 7 in half as many runs. Would be nice if the rate was adjusted somehow, or if we could do the hunt more often – think that would be a more ideal solution anyway.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One I forgot about in my huge post earlier:

- I'd be cool if we could choose replay the obstacle course after getting our daily pearls, before the 20 hour cooldown is up. Just for fun.

Again, loving the event -- much, much better than I was expecting. Lots of little improvements could be made, though. :)

-edit-

j0hn41, I'm sorry to hear about your egg misfortune. Were they not character bound, I'd happily give you one of my abundant extras I'll likely just delete when the event's over... and throw in a load of monkey tags too.

Please reconsider the binding on these items, devs.
  • Options
    tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The stupid thing about the egg drop rate (in addition to the whole bird system being nerfed by only half as many events... god forbid people prefer to casually fly around vs a timer rather than play the buggy, p2w, poorly implemented flag-click-bait "race"...) is that using the eggs is time gated anyway! You literally cant use more than one every 24 hours! So why make them so rare? Especially since you can only hunt them once an hour now! And yes, the drop rate does seem down this year. At least unbind them!

Side note... there are plenty of online multiplayer racing games that work just fine with a finish line, so I'm not sure how much water the excuse of lag showing incorrect winners really holds. And, personally, I'd rather deal with the server picking the objective winner based on its data (even if it looks different than what I experience... and lets be specific, it's not going to be off by more than half a second in the worst case) than deal with the clusterfrak that is the flag grabbing at the end of these races, with special people going out of their way to deprive the actual winners from their rightful rewards.
    edited June 2014
    j0hn41, I'm sorry to hear about your egg misfortune. Were they not character bound, I'd happily give you one of my abundant extras I'll likely just delete when the event's over... and throw in a load of monkey tags too.

Please reconsider the binding on these items, devs.

I would like to see these become unbound as well. The first day I got not a single egg. The second day I got 1. The next day, I got 1. Today already I've gotten 2 or 3, and the day is still young. If I wind up with more than I can have hatched before the event is over, what is the point? I save them till next year? And then get more again? I would be delighted to be able to pass out extras to my fleetmates.

As for the monkey tags, I don't have any interest in them myself (even if the monkeys can be turned in for marks), but the boards are fun (and assuming that you guys ever give us a proper Romulan 1500 Lohlunat board, I'll buy one of those), and I might like to compete if I didn't get stuck with something I don't want but could instead give out to my fleetmates who do want them, or sell them for EC.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well...I'll start off with a positive.
    The Winter Event is so much better and worth the time.

The Summer Event leaves me longing for the return of frigid temperatures.

The Powerboard Race is a great addition...if it ran on the Winter Event's Fast and the Flurrious schedule.
    Also, there is such a performance gap between the boards that I am left to wonder...why?
    There were Ice Boots that we could get during the WE but they weren't OP like the 1000LF boards are now.

[LONG rant regarding 110 Favors/hour/toon deleted]

The Tags reward...just increase it to 12/8/6/4 OR hold the race 4 times an hour.

The Floaters can be alot more fun than just using it for running 1 daily with it.
    Same with the holographic gates.
    Can't they be used for extra LF's or something?
    Maybe use the Floaters to tag the little simians running around Risa's forest?
    "Tag the Mini-Sasquatch" or something.

Unless the changes are made, Summer Event 2014 is a big disappointment AND I HOPE THEY DON'T NERF THE WINTER EVENT LIKE THEY DID THE SUMMER EVENT.

EDIT: DEVS...LEAVE THE WINTER EVENT ALONE.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    pashganpashgan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Check Risa zone chat after each race to see - what people think about flag grab? I'll eat my shorts if you'll see a single "I like it" sentence.

I am good racer, I like races, I like Risian hoverboards - but no way I'll waste my time grinding for one because I don't like the mechanics and have to overcome myself each time I need to get 2 "you've lost the race" tickets for monkeys (even though I often finish in top-3). Combination of server lag and client issues make it nearly impossible to jump off in time to grab the "right" flag.

Dear devs, please, don't re-use this mechanics.

p.s. I've skipped winter races due to this mechanics. It's bull TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    lastwolf25lastwolf25 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like the race, but agree with you, the flags are a pest, but served me a few times cause I could steal the first or second place sometimes, my only problem is with the races, 2 days ago I was racing against a miniature RUNNING not using a board way faster than me or my fleet mates, and we were using the superior boards and grabbing all the spped boosts at the ramps, by second flag, that miniature was already 2/3 ahead of us to the third flag
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's due to an engine limitation, and it's one I hope they take the time to fix between now and next Summer (or this Winter).
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'll eat my shorts if you'll see a single "I like it" sentence.

Completely agree.

I've the impression that it's the same with any of the more current events. Weather it's the board race, the winter race, the new mirror or CE events...not one person have I met that enjoyed any of those events. Every one of them (including me) seemed to be glad they got the reward at the end, but didn't enjoy 99% of the time getting there.