test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risa 2014 Feedback

Comments

• tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Please elaborate.. :D

I've not noticed anything particularly bad myself... other than an annoying graphics glitch that happens any time there's a lot of racers. It sometimes is a bit slow drawing things.... such as not drawing ramps until I get on top of them.... I have little difficulty finishing as I already memorized the course. It's annoying though.

The speed buffs are apparently meant to apply so the 'leading racer' if you like gets the weakest and the one pulling up the rear gets the strongest. However I've noticed a lot of occasions where this simply isn't the case and if anything if you're practically on top of someone going onto a speed buff you may well not get one at all.

That's assuming I understood right, I mean the other obvious bug is the glitch with the final flag, but then people have their own views on those.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • steven74205steven74205 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Like so many others here, I'm disappointed in the lack of things to do to earn Favors. Last year, I could do the Hunt five and a bit times, earning nearly 300 favors twice an hour (thanks to doing it on 6 toons). This year, I can do it (barely) on five toons, but there is a glitch where the last minute seems to be lost.

The races don't really interest me that much. However, I saw someone post earlier that the races should be done at the same time as another event, so people can choose between them.

Also, the sandcastles... it was educational the first time, but considering how long it takes, the reward of 2-5 favors is, to be blunt, laughable. Even if I did it on all of my toons, it is a VERY low reward.

I feel that there should be some changes to the rewards dropped, and reinstating the twice-hourly hunts would be a big improvement.
  • mentasmentas Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Assuming you do everything to completion, the minimum number of favors you could get in one hour, on a single toon, last year was 190. The maximum was 250. This year the minimum is 116. And the maximum is 196. And to get the maximum you need to do the sand castles 4 times, you need to only get fives in the hunt, and you need to finish first in both races. I'm mostly upset that this year's maximum is only six more than last years minimum.
  • chitowngrizz420chitowngrizz420 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have been playing the power board race on Risa for the summer event and just like the Epohh races in Q's winter event they have the "Grab the flag" finish.

This concept is flawed and prone to trolling abuse and most of us have seen it allot.

For example a player in 2nd or 3rd position can lose their place because someone that was ahead in the race plays possum at the flag and grabs it just as you get there.
    which in turn causes the player to miss it and lose their 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.

The Risa power board and Winter Epohh races need a dedicated finish line that just gives 1st,2nd and 3rd based on the order of which players cross the finish line.

This is a simple concept that games have been able to do for over 3 decades.

This is a common sense change that needs to happen!
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    U.S.S. Chicago NCC 1833-C
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • colinus#1809 colinus Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have been playing the power board race on Risa for the summer event and just like the Epohh races in Q's winter event they have the "Grab the flag" finish.

This concept is flawed and prone to trolling abuse and most of us have seen it allot.

For example a player in 2nd or 3rd position can lose their place because someone plays possum at the flag and grabs it just as you get there.
    which in turn causes the player to miss it and lose their 2nd or 3rd place.

The Risa power board and Winter Epohh races need a dedicated finish line that just gives 1st,2nd and 3rd based on the order of which players cross the finish line.

i believe this needs to be fixed and then everyone will be happy about this event and no more complaining with anyone
    been a gold player since may 20th 2014
    o:)
  • hylanvahrhylanvahr Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited June 2014

For example a player in 2nd or 3rd position can lose their place because someone plays possum at the flag and grabs it just as you get there.
    which in turn causes the player to miss it and lose their 2nd or 3rd place.

^^This!

I lost count how many winter and summer event races I've lost because of either missing the flag after legitimately crossing the finish line 1st, or losing 2nd or 3rd place because of flag trolls that wait for you to get close, then snatch away what you earned with skill and time investment.

Cryptic, I'm sorry, but you have no excuses. Your former co-worker, Gozer, proved you guys can do things with invisible trigger lines in this archaic game engine back when he co-developed the ground Borg STF missions, Infected Ground especially. These lines can come into play when these races are activated.

Make. It. Happen. Please.
    edited June 2014

For example a player in 2nd or 3rd position can lose their place because someone that was ahead in the race plays possum at the flag and grabs it just as you get there.
    which in turn causes the player to miss it and lose their 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.

I did not want this post moved and buried in another thread in a place it wont be seen and responded to as much.
    My thread is about both summer and winter races and shouldn't of been moved.
    Is this censorship at work?
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I did not want this post moved and buried in another thread in a place it wont be seen and responded to as much.
    My thread is about both summer and winter races and shouldn't of been moved.
    Is this censorship at work?

All risa feedback should be in one thread not spread out in every forum. This was primary about risa at this point so as such it was shoved here.

If I wanted to censor your post it'd be gone.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited June 2014
    askray wrote: »
    All risa feedback should be in one thread not spread out in every forum. This was primary about risa at this point so as such it was shoved here.

If I wanted to censor your post it'd be gone.

I just didnt want it unseen which is what can happen because lots of players dont read threw every post in a giant thread. But as long as the devs see it and understand the problem and consider fixing it, thats all that matters.
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    Jets landing on aircraft carriers have to grab a cable with a hook on their rear.

Right, because jet fighter pilots all race like mad to be the first one to grab the cable. :rolleyes:
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • jenel79jenel79 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, the Favor gain this year is terrible compared to the amount needed to buy what you want. I'd be happy with a single swimsuit on each of my characters, but I understand that there are completionists out there who want them all! And with the amount of Favors you can earn an hour, if you're planning on getting them all, then you need to farm constantly on all of your characters and dump all your Favors on to the one you want all the swimsuits, epic floaters and powerboard on.

Now I can understand the thinking of Cryptic if they feel it's possible to get a few swimsuits, an epic floater and powerboard on a character and then pick up more next year. But that either means that we won't be getting new stuff to buy next year, or it's going to be a case of more stuff is added and more stuff you simply cannot afford.

My suggestions for next year, is the ability to trade in Birds and Monkey's for Favors as well as Marks. An epic Tufted bird trades in for 100 marks (optional) and I think being able to trade one in for 100 Favors is completely feasible considering it takes a couple of days to get one from an egg to an epic. It's a nice boost without it being a way to farm endless Favors. However, saying that, 1 Hunt per hour seriously reduces your chance of finding eggs. So please bring back the 2 hunts an hour please.

The Powerboard race is epic, I've had great fun doing it. However my gripe with this is the flags at the end. This needs to be fixed to either flying through the flags to claim it, or simply if you're 1st over the line then you get 1st place and so on. I've been in the top 3 over the line twice now and have not yet claimed a prize as the flags are near impossible to grab. I either over shoot them, and once I got disqualified for it, and the other two times I wasn't able to stop near enough to it and somebody else claimed it. This is severely unfair, technically the last person over the line could come in first, unlikely but entirely possible.

As for the sandcastles, nice and fun little game, but almost entirely pointless in the way of Favor gain. And the fact that there's only a few spots where you can build a castle is ludicrous when you have dozens of people potentially searching for a spot. The first couple of days I couldn't get a spot, today I've managed to get one regularly on 4 of my characters as I think everybody else has given up on it as it's not worth doing since you only get a max of 5 Favors.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Lots of threads were merged into one feedback thread as having it scattered allover the forums doesn't help any.

Look! All Risian complaints compiled on one easy to ignore thread! Yay!

Surprised it's only 15 pages long.
    Secondly is that from what I've read and experienced the PvP race is far from working as intended, even one of the devs made a comment that made it clear it isn't, so I want to withhold judgement until after it is fixed.

Never is a long time.
    This race seems to have kinda random flag locations too.

Yeah, that's another bone-headed design here and in the Winter Wonderland. You have 2 players racing for first. One gets the flag and the guy that should be 2nd gets screwed because the 3rd place guy heads that way cause he know's he's not making 1st. Seems more often than not that the 2nd place guy ends up getting "Finished" because before he can maneuver to the 2nd or 3rd place flags, the slower people have snatched them up. It's a completely stupid mechanic.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, that's another bone-headed design here and in the Winter Wonderland. You have 2 players racing for first. One gets the flag and the guy that should be 2nd gets screwed because the 3rd place guy heads that way cause he know's he's not making 1st. Seems more often than not that the 2nd place guy ends up getting "Finished" because before he can maneuver to the 2nd or 3rd place flags, the slower people have snatched them up. It's a completely stupid mechanic.
    Like QWW, I only go for first if I have a clear lead. In QWW, I could simply aim for where I knew second would be, here I stop in the area and move toward the flag.

But yeah today I once got third when I messed up at the end badly. I was second up until I messed up, but I got third even though almost a dozen people came in before I grabbed the flag.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • cookiecupcakescookiecupcakes Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2014

It's okay to have a slider for boob size and see side boob sticking out in a bikini but, a man, can't be one. May as well put the boob slider on the males too since there is such a thing as man TRIBBLE or moobs.

Oh my god that is hilarious.
    EEiLA7V.jpg
  • borthaniusborthanius Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Jets landing on aircraft carriers have to grab a cable with a hook on their rear.

Yes, landing on a carrier, not a race. Apples vs. oranges. Try again & this time see if you can make some sense.
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    vocmcp wrote: »
    you introduce a ton of great new items and price them at a 1000 favors each and you do NOTHING about the amount of favors gained?

Actually they NERFED favors income in comparison with previous summer event. 1 year ago I could make ~500 favors per hour. Now I can make ~250 favors only.
  • daka86daka86 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What is wrong the Speed Boost need to be fix. More that 1 time i have lost the 1st place become i do not get it (i go fist and do not give me a speed bonus but the second one who jumps get the bonus and so 1,2,3, speed boost not given and i lose) TRIBBLE:mad:
  • shamus176shamus176 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm having a problem with doing Pavyl's Quests and it looks to me like a bug!

I am on the 2nd location, underneath the Klingon's Arch. I stand right where Pavyl shows up and when night begins, he appears but i can't interact with him! The system won't give me any option to interact with him nor does he get marked with the big "i" on the map. After a few moments he disappears again. It's really frustrating! Does anyone else have this problem?? Anyone solved it even??
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like the idea, and I was actually excited to try it. I saw it as the Risa equivalent of the Winter Wonderland ice race.

Then I did. Big disappointment.

The ice race requires skill. It has interesting turns and features. If you're not careful you can go out of bounds and be disqualified. The powerboard race depends on having a fast board and... that's it. There are no really awesome turns, nor are there any hard bits. Quite simply, you don't need skill, you just need one of the faster boards.

Any chance of making the race actually challenging? Something that people can actually look forward to instead of just being another part of the grind?
  • solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    borthanius wrote: »
    Yes, landing on a carrier, not a race. Apples vs. oranges.
    Are they not both fruit?
    My only point, which was obviously easy to ignore, was that grabbing stationary objects from a fast-moving vehicle happens in real life and is therefore not completely absurd to happen in a game.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    former sim racer myself and motorsport nutter who would spend all day on yout to watch such things on sunday-wednesdays depending on encoding and upload time. i find this race very much unimpressive.

i would like to see some underdog competitors become the spoiler to a party one time, the only way you can do that is make it exciting, to draw from parallels and use of motorsport, indycar and tusc have road racing and oval racing between them, oval racing is only exciting when the competition is even and as such you get incredibly close racing and swapping of positions happening every turn and on the straights. on road racing you require a good car and good driver skills and some knowledge of the track and then you can improve on that as you go along, a rookie first time out wouldnt be as good at knowing the best places to be fast on a track, what bumps would unsettle a car and where they are, knowing exactly where to brake and know your car may come around from the rear a little to help you corner faster or whatever but mostly that rolls bars, suspension adjustments, grip levels and so on. its not on that scale but just having some corners, fast and slow, stop and start, sharp tight corners, small narrow corners and so on, it would make for a more interesting powerboarding race and importantly it would fill in that missing 10 minute gap in the timetable. it would give the wood board guys a chance to really shine against the superior boards.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, I wouldn't say it doesn't require any skill. There's learning the track, finding the best path, and developing proper timing for things like jumps. This becomes more obvious when you're racing people with the same speed boards... positions shift as people make path choices & make or miss the jumps & boost pads. Three people starting at the same time on the same board still end up pretty spread out by the time you hit the finish.

(That said - yeah, being able to buy faster basic boards seems a bit iffy. And the "grab a flag" mechanic is just poor..... and I say this as someone who's got at least a dozen 1st & 2nd finishes on three characters. I know how to grab the flag. It's still a poor design choice.)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    shamus176 wrote: »
    I'm having a problem with doing Pavyl's Quests and it looks to me like a bug!

I am on the 2nd location, underneath the Klingon's Arch. I stand right where Pavyl shows up and when night begins, he appears but i can't interact with him! The system won't give me any option to interact with him nor does he get marked with the big "i" on the map. After a few moments he disappears again. It's really frustrating! Does anyone else have this problem?? Anyone solved it even??
    hmm.... what was the clue for that part again?

anyways, you can always see Pavyl, whether you have the quest or not.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Well, I wouldn't say it doesn't require any skill. There's learning the track, finding the best path, and developing proper timing for things like jumps. This becomes more obvious when you're racing people with the same speed boards... positions shift as people make path choices & make or miss the jumps & boost pads. Three people starting at the same time on the same board still end up pretty spread out by the time you hit the finish.
    Basically always go left, take turbo and pad. Also, drop from the board in the end to grab the flag. That's pretty much the "skill" involved. And it's nothing compared to someone with a better board, unless he is really bad.

So yeah, agreed with OP, I don't plan to do any races in the future, since I don't want to spend 1K loltoken for a summer item.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • borthaniusborthanius Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Are they not both fruit?
    My only point, which was obviously easy to ignore, was that grabbing stationary objects from a fast-moving vehicle happens in real life and is therefore not completely absurd to happen in a game.

??? I know of no race in this world where you have to cross the line & grab a flag. Your point is not only easy to ignore, it's impossible to understand. Why don't you ask yourself what is the point of a finish line in a race? Name one RACE on this planet where you have to cross a line & grab a flag & I'll concede the point, otherwise... There is a horse race in Asia I've heard of where you have to grab flags during a race, but again you do not grab a flag after you've crossed the finish line. It's just dumb & not well thought out... typical Cryptic/PWE.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There should be classes of the race, people with the different board types compete in their own separate races. There could either be separate instances with the different power board races or the different power board races could happen at different times (this is probably the easiest way to go programing wise).

The biggest issue I see with this suggestion though is incentive. The Incentive to grind for and get the other boards. If you compete in different races then what's the incentive to get the different boards other than standard? One reason could be competition, there will be less people with the better boards so if you grind out for those you could have a better opportunity to place. Another option is that you could scale the rewards based on which class your board is in (For example, the base reward for finishing in standard is five, enhanced could be ten, and superior could be fifteen).
    y1arXbh.png

• dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Events:

- Floater course for pearls can be done in a rental with almost no effort -- no compelling reason to get a better floater to be honest, since we can just site-to-site between locations.

- Dancing is the most rewarding event, but the least compelling. I can't really offer any suggestions to improve it, though.

- Horga'hn hunt would be more fun if the locations weren't marked on the minimap and you had to use your tricorder to find them instead IMO.

- Would prefer a race without the flags. I think the most fair way of eliminating them would be to have a separate course for each category of board. If it's a choice between flags or better boards always winning, keep the flags.

- A little more reward for sand castle building would be nice. The bucket issue seems to be gone already...probably since people decided castles aren't worth the time investment. But they are. You can build a castle in the downtime between other events, which a lot of players don't seem to have caught onto, to pad out your favors a bit.

Prices:

- I think clothing is reasonable. Strangely my favorites are all 500, the more expensive elaborate ones are ugly to me.

- Glad that favors aren't account bound (I was pretty happy when I realized they weren't character bound, not being account bound blew my mind).

- Very rare DOFFs are probably overpriced. Until I find out if they can be paired with the rares, I might not even consider them for, what, a 3% higher chance? (Alternately, rares are underpriced - the balance here is definitely skewed one way or another, and I can't really say without having used those DOFFs)

Other:

- Women aren't exactly "well-groomed" looking in the bikini bottoms...

- More swimwear options for males would've been appreciated. As it is, this comes off as kind of sexist...nothing wrong with having lots of female styles, yet it seems like there is since there are so few male styles. Even the same basic shorts with different patterns would've been nice...

- The swimwear palette could use some grays and blacks. But don't get me wrong, I love how many subtle shade variations this palette has, I was able to get my outfits' colors perfect!

- I really wish turning in eggs/tags was on a 20 hour timer instead of 24. You never realize how much you appreciate 20 hour "dailies" until they're not there, you hop on early on the weekend, only to find you can't do anything for 4+ hours. And if you fall behind for whatever reason, it only gets later...

-- On that note, I wish eggs/tags weren't character bound. I'm probably going to have more than I can possibly turn in on my main, I'm not taking my alts to Risa except for pearls, so it'd be nice if I could pass off some eggs/tags for them to raise too.

Ships

- You can fly ships in this game? I kinda forgot. They're nice, I suppose. Not my style.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »
    There should be classes of the race, people with the different board types compete in their own separate races. There could either be separate instances with the different power board races or the different power board races could happen at different times (this is probably the easiest way to go programing wise).

The biggest issue I see with this suggestion though is incentive. The Incentive to grind for and get the other boards. If you compete in different races then what's the incentive to get the different boards other than standard? One reason could be competition, there will be less people with the better boards so if you grind out for those you could have a better opportunity to place. Another option is that you could scale the rewards based on which class your board is in (For example, the base reward for finishing in standard is five, enhanced could be ten, and superior could be fifteen).

That would be interesting. There's plenty of room for multiple tracks.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I does need to be broken up on to classes.. depending on the type of board used.

I'm currently using the first board up from the rental right now... And Also used to sim race quite a bit. AGainst players with much faster boards I've actully managed to pull 4th and 5th place somewhat consistantly. Those old sim racing skills coming back.

But it could use a few things.. lets see, a throttle..(some speed other then as fast as you can possibly go), Brakes..(other then letting off the gas) the course isn't bad.. and the board control
    isn't perfect, and I'm actually totally ok with that.. after all, your controlling the direction of the board by shifting your body on the board..(simulated, not real.. real would be better.. but simulated will do)

Break the competition up in to classes depending on the board... everyone can race at the same time, but your reward depends on how well you did in YOUR class... Much like Trans/Am motorsports competitions where there are several classes on the course at the same time.. from the amazing LMP classes down to sport coupes.. I'd love to see a multi lap race on a closed Multilap course... and there shouldonly one lane "lanes" it works fines in anime, and the movies, but real competitions happen on a fixed course...

You coulld have a "slalom" course where you have to hit marks to win.. miss to many gates, and your out... tighter course, smaller gates, greater difficulty, greater rewards. You could have "times rally courses where going "full speed" is not the best stratagy.. going through a segment in a set amount of time is the goal.. go too fast or too slow effects your points.. and all good rallsy have a dash segment where you go just as fast through the section as you can...*grin*

I like the boards.. I think they're a great mechanic.. but more could be done with them to turn it into a real mini game instead of a diversion.

Power board Risa pro circuit! Bring it on!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • ensignswensonensignswenson Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Are they not both fruit?

There's a fruit in here alright! What's absurd is arguing for the sake of arguing...I smell a fan boy in here and it reeks more like rotten potato's than any fruit I know of.