test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lore Question: Risan Luxury Liner has atmospheric landing?

temporalhavoctemporalhavoc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I noticed in one of the screenshots we see the new Risan Luxury Liner drifting peacefully in the ocean offshore. Does this mean that lore-wise these are capable of atmospheric reentry/exit? That's something typically pretty rare for larger vessels like this one, particularly when it comes to non-Starfleet designs.
Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
Post edited by temporalhavoc on

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ... that we know of...

For all we know, every single ship in Star Trek is capable of landing... We've just never seen it.

But yes... Both the Risian ships are capable of landing on a planet... just don't expect to ever to be able to do it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Given how it has landed on Risa and it's hull is obviously form to work as a not-space-ship it obviously has atmospheric landing.

But why should size be that much of an issue? And why "a non starfleet design"? Since when does starfleet has anything close to a monopoly to atmospheric landing? Where is even a hint to that?
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Lore-wise? It sounded more like it was an Ocean-fairing vessel that was capable of interplanetary travel.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Klingon Birds of Prey have been landing on planets since 1986.
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    For all we know, every single ship in Star Trek is capable of landing... We've just never seen it.

Any starship can land ... once. Taking off again, that's the tricky part. :)

Seriously though, I know we've seen Voyager land, can't remember which episode(s) though.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Where is even a hint to that?

There is none... Several ships can fly within atmospheres, so it stands to reason that they can also land... We know that Bajoran ships can do it, Bird of Preys can do it, Jem'hadar ships can deffo do it (they even have an offload ramp for soldiers, Seems Borg ships can also do it (and they are generally very large)...

And those are just the ones I can think of.
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    Any starship can land ... once. Taking off again, that's the tricky part. :)

Seriously though, I know we've seen Voyager land, can't remember which episode(s) though.

The 37's, Dragons Teeth and Daemon planet episode (silver blood).
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Also "Basics", I believe.

I suppose you could count "Timeless" as well... but it's a stretch to call that a landing.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Also "Basics", I believe.

Right... Forgot that one.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The JJ-Prise does the underwater parking in Into Darkness. With the magic of the Structural Integrity Field, any ship can probably do it, its just a question of having landing gear to do it on something solid. They probably just don't do it because why spend the energy when you can just beam what you need where you need?
  • Options
    joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Most Federation starships, traditionally can't land. That's why it was such a big deal for Voyager to be capable of Landing. Even the NX Enterprise was built in space and didn't land and it looked more than capable of it. Until Jar Jar Trek, The 1701 Enterprise was built in space, and I believe in the Original Series no more than a couple instances entered an atmosphere at all.

Klingon BoP have been landing since they were created, and many other ships have been shown to be able to land and take off.

I just look at this new, very powerful combat luxury liner and think: BeBop! (Or maybe whatever that ship in 5th Element was.)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    There is none... Several ships can fly within atmospheres, so it stands to reason that they can also land... We know that Bajoran ships can do it, Bird of Preys can do it, Jem'hadar ships can deffo do it (they even have an offload ramp for soldiers, Seems Borg ships can also do it (and they are generally very large)...

And those are just the ones I can think of.

I know^^
    I'm just wondering how someone jumps to the conclusion that starfleet ships are better at that then anyone else. Especially better then ships of an origin we canonically know nothing about in terms of their ship technology (or if they even have any).
    The JJ-Prise does the underwater parking in Into Darkness. With the magic of the Structural Integrity Field, any ship can probably do it, its just a question of having landing gear to do it on something solid. They probably just don't do it because why spend the energy when you can just beam what you need where you need?

Technically the jar jar price was even build landed.

Also if I'm not mistaken the MSD of the ent d shows that the saucer section has landing gear.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know^^
    I'm just wondering how someone jumps to the conclusion that starfleet ships are better at that then anyone else. Especially better then ships of an origin we canonically know nothing about in terms of their ship technology (or if they even have any).

Technically the jar jar price was even build landed.

Also if I'm not mistaken the MSD of the ent d shows that the saucer section has landing gear.
    Actually.... At least some Galaxy class ships were built on the surface of Mars.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014

Actually... I don't think the Galaxy class Saucer was meant for landing. At least not in the traditional sense. In emergencies, it can do what it did in Generations, but preferably with more control.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/X93fW.png
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I think some people misinterpreted the intent of my OP; I worded it poorly, and did not mean to imply that only Federation ships land on planets.

My point was more that I can't think of many examples where ships this /large/ land and take off safely, Voyager notwithstanding. It's usually smaller things like Nova-class scouts and Klingon Bird-of-Prey ships that I tend to picture doing so. Though as someone else stated, the raw power generated by warp cores could probably deal with the structural integrity issues created by trying to land something of that size. :x

• Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If we're counting MSDs as lore, the defiant has landing struts and the Galor also has a troop ramp on the bottom. That had to be a terrifying sight for the bajorans to behold, a ship that big landing and disgorging what must be at least a whole battalion at once...
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2014
    I think some people misinterpreted the intent of my OP; I worded it poorly, and did not mean to imply that only Federation ships land on planets.

My point was more that I can't think of many examples where ships this /large/ land and take off safely, Voyager notwithstanding. It's usually smaller things like Nova-class scouts and Klingon Bird-of-Prey ships that I tend to picture doing so. Though as someone else stated, the raw power generated by warp cores could probably deal with the structural integrity issues created by trying to land something of that size. :x

think a question would be like wouldn't they have to have landing gear to land on a planets surface , picturing JJ prise landing on the land instead of in the water and.....

Land us there mr.sulu
    But,but captain we have no landing gear
    I said put her down right there
    Aye,Aye captain

....JJ Prize lands majestically to welcoming fanfare then promptly tips over due to gravity and the top heavy design......OOPS

:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Something else to keep in mind about larger-end starships: They're HEAVY.

It isn't so much just about the landing gear, which is a big deal, but more importantly IMO is WHERE you land.

Sure, shuttles and runabouts, not a huge issue. Small and light, not a problem. A bird of prey, larger, but the crew of the Enterprise were able to park it in the middle of a park in San Fransisco, and on Vulcan without much fuss.

Voyager had built in landing gear, but it was still (relative to the BoP and shuttles) a very large ship. At that point you need to know that wherever you are landing can handle that much weight all at once.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Klingon Birds of Prey have been landing on planets since 1986.

The first planetary landing of a Klingon Bird of Prey was on Vulcan at the end of the 1984 film "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock", close though.
    Headlong into mystery
  • Options
    guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    People consistently underestimate just how absurdly strong something has to be to be really big and go really fast.

Take the TOS Enterprise as an example.

She can accelerate at hundreds or thousands of gravities (sometimes considerably more, but those scenes are outliers). The TNG Enterprise is listed at a thousand gravities (albeit by a non-canon source), which is a reasonable middle-of-the-road figure, so we'll use that. 1000g acceleration.

Assume roughly similar volume:mass ratios to modern naval vessels. Probably reasonable for a rough estimate. A real life aircraft carrier is about the same size as the TOS Enterprise, so we'll assume that she masses about 100,000 tonnes.

Rough estimate, she has a maximum longitudinal load-bearing area of around 1000 square meters. Assume perfect load distribution to obtain a minimum value for load-bearing strength per unit area.

1000g*100,000tn/1000m^2 = 1GPa

Note that in all likelihood this is a drastic underestimate, given that the Enterprise has many very small parts at steep angles to the longitudinal axis that have to support large, heavy parts of the ship (the neck supporting the engine deck; the pylons supporting the nacelles).

Even this drastic underestimate is ten times the pressure at the bottom of the Marianas Trench and about 200 times the max rated pressure of a modern military submarine.

Starships not being capable of atmospheric flight, landing, underwater travel, surface construction, surviving airburst nuclear explosions with their shields down, and so forth, is unrealistic given their demonstrated and plot-necessary capabilities. If she wasn't able to laugh off everything a planet could through at her, the Enterprise's impulse drive would rip her in half as soon as they started it up.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Well on general land-landing you might have a point.
    The new ship does water landing. Think of what kind of giants we already have in our water. Aircraft carriers, supertankers.... The Risian ship isn't bigger then those.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Well on general land-landing you might have a point.
    The new ship does water landing. Think of what kind of giants we already have in our water. Aircraft carriers, supertankers.... The Risian ship isn't bigger then those.

Good point! I suppose that's the way to think of it, yeah.

It really does look like it was designed for both space and sea.

• Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Part of the lore of TOS was the enterprise was incapable of atmospheric flight. Such "large" ships would burn up after short periods of atmospheric travel and this was seen in a few episodes. It was also implied in TNG. The Enterprise E sauce crash landed in Insurrection, unable to complete safe re-entry with numerous casualties. Into Darkness is a complete contradiction of these story standard lore issues.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Not the right spot but, Swap the Risan Liners stats with the Fleet enterprise D please. A ocean Liner that out performs the Enterprise D.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    Part of the lore of TOS was the enterprise was incapable of atmospheric flight. Such "large" ships would burn up after short periods of atmospheric travel and this was seen in a few episodes. It was also implied in TNG. The Enterprise E sauce crash landed in Insurrection, unable to complete safe re-entry with numerous casualties. Into Darkness is a complete contradiction of these story standard lore issues.

You must live in a mirror universe where there was an "Insurection" where the enterprise crashed... or any movie where the Ent E crashed.
    In this one only the Ent Ds saucer crashed in Generations.... And that was a crash they were much to fast on the entry, that doesnt say the saucer couldn't "controlled" land if it wouldn't be thrown into orbit by a warp core explosion.

For TOS... I don't remember. But thats about 160? years in the past now.
    Although I think the Voyager landing capacity was kind of "special".
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL8O2Cfc2P4

Enterprise couldn't land, but could handle atmospheric flight. Gravity/antigravity generators, structural integrity fields, and shields kept it aloft and free from burning up or tearing itself apart.
  • Options
    matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That had to be a terrifying sight for the bajorans to behold, a ship that big landing and disgorging what must be at least a whole battalion at once...
    If you were designing ships for conquest, that is EXACTLY how you should be doing it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Well Voyager isn't really that big... Little more than half the size of a galaxy.

BUT: Look at voyager while landed, especially the fleet... That thing should tip right over, and go *SMACK* head on into the dirt

So that means they must be able to redistribute weight somehow... If they can do that, surely a Galaxy/Sov can also land.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    All said and done, all Federation ships were able to fly in space and we knew they were built on the ground long before JJ showed it on screen. It was fan speculation how they managed to get them into orbit.

But the thing is, the only Federation canonical ship that could definitely land, was Voyager (the Intrepid-class), the others could only land in emergencies, like the aforementioned Saucer landing. However, I saw notes that the Nova-class and the Defiant-class had landing capability like the Intrepid, but we never saw it.

So when it comes to STO's Federation 25th Century starships, I don't see them having landing capability either since their designs don't really appear to accommodate a stable platform for landing gears.

Don't forget Voyager went underwater before JJ did it on screen.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    and the Defiant-class had landing capability like the Intrepid, but we never saw it.

Actually, this is the one ship we can be fairly confident did not have landing capabilities.

Sisko specifically mentioned in"Starship down" that the Defiant was not build to be taken into an atmosphere.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tancrediiv wrote: »

I don't get where the contradiction is. It's a different universe with different technology.