test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A simple way to increase KDF population

phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
so everyone is probably aware that the KDF has VERY few players, considering it rarely gets new ships, even the romulans get more ships than the klingons, so the best way to get more stuff for klingons is to increase the population.

but have you guys ever considered that maybe isn't the lack of ships that causes people to dislike playing as klingons(content isn't an issue anymore) but simply that people plain... dislike klingons? and that is the true reason why most don't see a point in playing as KDF(especially now that you have romulans)?

i would say its probably the same thing that happened in WoW with the horde, you had one faction that is all shiny, with knights, magic and stuff, the other is a bunch of orcs, undead in decaying cities or shanty towns, i mean come on, there is a reason you have so many romulan players, and that is precisely because romulans are cool, their ships are cool, they're basically angry and cunning space elves(most people like elves) with huge birds as ships, klingons are angry ugly humans with funny foreheads and their ships generally aren't as cool looking as the romulan ships(or shiny in the case of the feds), not even green women in bikinis have managed to keep KDF population with decent numbers, not even space dinosaurs in armor, not even free dilithium through contraband did.

I honestly doubt anything will increase KDF population, with the exception of a total art revamp, make qo'nos look less ugly, make klingon interiors look less ugly(all that red is awful on the eyes), make klingon armor look less ugly, make klingon ships look more advanced/sleek while still keeping their general agressive design, on and on, klingons don't have a single ship that really DOES seem "new", even the mogh merely looks like a smaller negh'var(although it does look good) and the bortas is the terran battlecruiser from starcraft lol, only thing that really seems new are their temporal ships lol.

the klingons are now basically an alliance of a bunch of species in all but name, which includes the advanced gorn , there is no reason they should remain "dinky/everything looking like TRIBBLE" like they used to.

also folks might hate my suggestion, but pull a WoW and add a "pretty species" for the klingons like WoW did(the blood elves), it worked wonders for them in equalizing the populations, orions apparently aren't good enough for STO players for some reason, so try something different.

edit: perhaps that isn't so simple as i would like lol, but oh well.
Post edited by phoenicius on

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't dislike Klingons at all...

I dislike the people behind the non-npc's... well not all of them of cause... Obviously.

Just the ones who are nutty enough to be douches... and sadly there are alot of them.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I don't dislike Klingons at all...

I dislike the people behind the non-npc's... well not all of them of cause... Obviously.

Just the ones who are nutty enough to be douches... and sadly there are alot of them.

when i said dislike klingons, i didn't meant the faction/players, i meant the species/faction as a concept, as they currently are. faction dislike with relation to players will pretty much always exist in any game that has them.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    i would say its probably the same thing that happened in WoW with the horde, you had one faction that is all shiny, with knights, magic and stuff, the other is a bunch of orcs, undead in decaying cities or shanty towns, i mean come on, there is a reason you have so many romulan players, and that is precisely because romulans are cool, their ships are cool, they're basically angry and cunning space elves(most people like elves) with huge birds as ships, klingons are angry ugly humans with funny foreheads and their ships generally aren't as cool looking as the romulan ships(or shiny in the case of the feds), not even green women in bikinis have managed to keep KDF population with decent numbers, not even space dinosaurs in armor, not even free dilithium through contraband did.

Played WoW for 4 years, 60% Horde 40% Alliance on my Server, not sure what you're talking about ... besides after the Scimitar Romulans got squat (that was one year ago) ... joined several Queues the last month always got like 1 Romulan 1 KDF & 3 Feds ... not sure were all these Romulans are supposed to be ... KDF & Romulans are equally on "maintenance mode"
    also folks might hate my suggestion, but pull a WoW and add a "pretty species" for the klingons like WoW did(the blood elves), it worked wonders for them in equalizing the populations, orions apparently aren't good enough for STO players for some reason, so try something different.

Orion Slave Girls - check ... try something better ? like what nude Cat-Ladies :P
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So basically your idea to boost the KDF is to spend a lot of effort "non-KDF-ifying" it?

I think there's a problem with this idea at a level so fundamental it can't be overcome, but that could just be me.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    when i said dislike klingons, i didn't meant the faction/players, i meant the species/faction as a concept, as they currently are. faction dislike with relation to players will pretty much always exist in any game that has them.

And I was fully aware of that...

I have several KDF captains... Maxed them all... The players make me not want to go over there... Not what cryptic made them into...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2014

What about Joined Trill? They've been a playable KDF species for quite a while, can be considered one of the "prettier species", have a solid foundation in canon Trek and even have one of the better species specific traits, yet to me they don't seem to have had too much of an impact on KDF population.

btw: WoW is a horrible example when it comes to balancing populations. Especially if you take a look at most of the older PvP Realms, you'll get populations of >90% vs. <10%. ;)
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There are a few problems.

1. Anything KDF can do, Romulans can do better(except frigate carriers).

2. Raptors are the most shat upon class in the game. PERIOD BAR NONE. There's a reason almost nobody flies them.

3. Going with 1 and 2, there is just not enough separation between the factions. Feds with a few exceptions have the best of everything. Roms have battle cloaks and singularities. What does the KDF have going for it? A free carrier with frigates and BoP with flanking bonuses. THAT IS IT.

I mean unless we start going away from the vanilla flavor and start giving each faction different powers/strengths that is their own but can be counteracted, there's really nothing to be done.

Here's what I'd do. Strip battle cloaks form the romulans and give every KDF ship battle cloaking. Second couple of fleet raptors. One with 5 tac consoles, second one with a 5/2 weapons setup. Give KDF some reasons to actually want to PLAY raptors.

Also introduce more klingon bladed weapons that are KDF only like the: Mek'leth. The blade you normally see Worf carrying. D'k tagh dagger that carries family crests. Allow KDF players to form houses, or through the story line if they should so choose, to join House Martok.

I'd also make free carriers from LT Cmdr all the way to VA. Even if they carriers only housed drones at ltcmdr, but i'd have carriers that carried fighters from Cmdr and captain, till you hit the vo'quv. And ofcourse I'd make them science oriented.

Last but not least, MORE UNIFORM OPTIONS FOR GODS SAKE!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Actually... Romulans only have one option for a (non Lobi/lockbox) full carrier.... Obelisk. so yeah.... KDF has the best faction specific carriers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Klinks aren't as pretty... great. What if you make Orions totally naked? It's a minor change in term of current surface area coverage.:cool:
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Actually... Romulans only have one option for a (non Lobi/lockbox) full carrier.... Obelisk. so yeah.... KDF has the best faction specific carriers.

But what the roms get in return IMHO more than makes up for it.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Played WoW for 4 years, 60% Horde 40% Alliance on my Server, not sure what you're talking about ... besides after the Scimitar Romulans got squat (that was one year ago) ... joined several Queues the last month always got like 1 Romulan 1 KDF & 3 Feds ... not sure were all these Romulans are supposed to be ... KDF & Romulans are equally on "maintenance mode"

i played WoW for years too, but it was only after blood elves were added that the horde got a serious overall boost in population, sure there were some servers that horde were higher, but in general alliance had higher numbers.
    talonxv wrote: »
    But what the roms get in return IMHO more than makes up for it.

true, but the romulans have the scimitar, which has a frigate class pet, that is arguably the best pet in terms of damage, losing only to the mesh weaver due to APB.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My guess...

* During the next season of STO, the KDF allies with various races in the Delta Quadrant.
    * Those races (assuming it's Viidians, Kazon, Vaadwaur, etc.) aren't exactly regarded as handsome/beautiful as human standards, imho.

Bottom line: We're not going to see more "pretty species." It's a novel idea, given the vanity of some players -- and the need for something attractive (aside from Orion men/women) to draw players to the KDF faction. Maybe there will be future cross-over races (like the current Trill/KDF toons) who make the KDF more "attractive".

Btw, I don't know if I'd agree wholeheartedly with your KDF player population statement. Whenever I'm playing my KDF toon, I'm happy to see other KDF players around. It's not hugely populous like the FED faction. But there's a good number of KDF players in-game.

I think we need a Fleet Garumba, among other new additions to the KDF, to preserve player loyalty. The voiceover work by Michael Dorn ("Worf"), plus the episode remasterings in the past year, was VERY welcomed. Cryptic can't expect to throw an occasional bone to the KDF players and expect player retention.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    So basically your idea to boost the KDF is to spend a lot of effort "non-KDF-ifying" it?

I think there's a problem with this idea at a level so fundamental it can't be overcome, but that could just be me.

not non-KDFifying, but changing them to some extend, even the klingons would be affected culturally/technologically by having several species in their midst with varying ideas, if a player still wishes to play an old school klingon, he of course can(klingons even have a fleet D-7/vor'cha/b'rel for those that wish to and old clothes, both TNG and TOS from the shows).
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    even the klingons would be affected culturally/technologically by having several species in their midst with varying ideas,

Like Gorn and Orions? Letheans? Nausicaans?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, really I'm not, but I'm not seeing how any idea you've tossed here is anything other than

A: Clean them up and prettify them- most Un-Klingon, but okay...
    B: More of the same- more non-Klingon species and ships, like we've already got- and how's *that* working out?

-shrug-
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    While you may dislike Klignons, OP, the widely known fact is that in the global Trek community the Klingon fandom is second only to the Starfleet one. So, no - people disliking Klingons, their ways, architecture or style is not the reason.

The reason for lower number of people playing KDF is so very simple:

- very little dev. attention
    - ship disparity the size of the Sol System
    - almost no bug fixes
    - no uniform options
    - no access to various ship costumes and the ones that have them are bugged/unavailible on fleet variants
    - no female options for half of the species
    - 1 C-Store ship per 2 years
    - power creep in form of ships and universal T5 consoles that KDF has no asnwer to, because ^^^
    - announcement that no sub-species ships will be released in the near future
    - the systematic extermiantion of PvP (and the KDF used to be the PvP faction)
    - bugged stuff being described as WAI
    - the least amount of fleet ship variants
    - continuous giving away of KDF unique flavor assets

...and I'm sure I keep forgeting a few more things.

So when you sum it up, you have the hardocre people that do enjoy the faction even in it's current state, but all of the previously mentioned TRIBBLE is a HUGE reason for your average causal player to avoid the KDF, because let's face it - who other than the most hardcore fan wants to be treated like a second-rate customer and to experience the stress of non-equal game opportunities in what he/she considers his free entertainment time?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Like Gorn and Orions? Letheans? Nausicaans?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, really I'm not, but I'm not seeing how any idea you've tossed here is anything other than

A: Clean them up and prettify them- most Un-Klingon, but okay...
    B: More of the same- more non-Klingon species and ships, like we've already got- and how's that working out?

-shrug-

i didn't said "clean them up/prettify them" , i said add a new "pretty" species, the horde in WoW didn't stop being the horde, they just had another species with vastly different aesthetics, and make klingon ships and aesthetics more sleeker, are you saying klingons can't do sleek while still being klingon, the bortas uniform is sleek, even more so if cryptic finally released the shoulder pads/sash for players, but its still obviously klingon, this is the kind of stuff i'm referring to.
    shpoks wrote: »
    While you may dislike Klignons, OP, the widely known fact is that in the global Trek community the Klingon fandom is second only to the Starfleet one. So, no - people disliking Klingons, their ways, architecture or style is not the reason.

The reason for lower number of people playing KDF is so very simple:

- very little dev. attention
    - ship disparity the size of the Sol System
    - almost no bug fixes
    - no uniform options
    - no access to various ship costumes and the ones that have them are bugged/unavailible on fleet variants
    - no female options for half of the species
    - 1 C-Store ship per 2 years
    - power creep in form of ships and universal T5 consoles that KDF has no asnwer to, because ^^^
    - announcement that no sub-species ships will be released in the near future
    - the systematic extermiantion of PvP (and the KDF used to be the PvP faction)
    - bugged stuff being described as WAI
    - the least amount of fleet ship variants
    - continuous giving away of KDF unique flavor assets

...and I'm sure I keep forgeting a few more things.

So when you sum it up, you have the hardocre people that do enjoy the faction even in it's current state, but all of the previously mentioned TRIBBLE is a HUGE reason for your average causal player to avoid the KDF, because let's face it - who other than the most hardcore fan wants to be treated like a second-rate customer and to experience the stress of non-equal game opportunities in what he/she considers his free entertainment time?

i don't dislike klingons lol, and if klingon fans were so numerous, there wouldn't be such an utterly enormous difference in player populations, i swear folks aren't reading what i suggested, new federation ships, didn't made the federation be less "federation", but they ARE sleeker compared to the TNG ones(regent, tempest, armitage, vesta).
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    i played WoW for years too, but it was only after blood elves were added that the horde got a serious overall boost in population, sure there were some servers that horde were higher, but in general alliance had higher numbers.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php
    Overall : 570,418 (53%) 495,854 (47%)

Most of the people I knew never ever considered playing "Blood Elves" because they were to childish & displaced ...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    i played WoW for years too, but it was only after blood elves were added that the horde got a serious overall boost in population, sure there were some servers that horde were higher, but in general alliance :eek: had :rolleyes: higher numbers.

/10chars because people don't read
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    /10chars because people don't read

Except these are the exact same Numbers before Blood Elves were introduced ...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Except these are the exact same Numbers before Blood Elves were introduced ...

US Quick Server Stats - Last 30 Days

uhhh...... its right on the page.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    US Quick Server Stats - Last 30 Days

uhhh...... its right on the page.

Yeah sorry it's pretty hard to find numbers from 5 years ago ... but I never ever experienced the absence of Horde Players on any of the Servers I played ... you're the one making silly claims without anything to prove it ...
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i don't dislike klingons lol, and if klingon fans were so numerous, there wouldn't be such an utterly enormous difference in player populations, i swear folks aren't reading what i suggested, new federation ships, didn't made the federation be less "federation", but they ARE sleeker compared to the TNG ones(regent, tempest, armitage, vesta).

Well, it was you who said, and I quote:

"Klingons are angry ugly humans with funny foreheads"

so I assumed you dislike the Klingons as well.

Nevertheless, yes - the Klingon fanbase in the Trek community is very populous and second only to the fandom of the Federation and Starfleet. The reason for the difference in player population over here is because almost none of them play STO. And they don't play STO because they dislike Cryptic and how Cryptic as a game developer treated and continues to treat the faction of their preference.

And I, while still hanging on here myself, can't blame those people for that chocie. Because at the end of the day, who wants to spend their entertainment hours playing a game where the developer lets you make a choice, and then proceeds giving you the middle finger for 4 years because of the choice you made?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The simplest way to increase KDF population is to remove the Feds. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Well, it was you who said, and I quote:

"Klingons are angry ugly humans with funny foreheads"

so I assumed you dislike the Klingons as well.

Nevertheless, yes - the Klingon fanbase in the Trek community is very populous and second only to the fandom of the Federation and Starfleet. The reason for the difference in player population over here is because almost none of them play STO. And they don't play STO because they dislike Cryptic and how Cryptic as a game developer treated and continues to treat the faction of their preference.

And I, while still hanging on here myself, can't blame those people for that chocie. Because at the end of the day, who wants to spend their entertainment hours playing a game where the developer lets you make a choice, and then proceeds giving you the middle finger for 4 years because of the choice you made?

but they're ugly, letheans and nausicaans are ugly as hell too, but i don't hate them, and tbh cryptic treats everyone badly, they just treat the feds better since it represents most of the population, and my suggestions could even the populations, and thus bring more stuff for the klingons.
    The simplest way to increase KDF population is to remove the Feds. :D

game would probably die actually :)
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014

You did not get a word he said, did you?

Not a single one of those facts got through your skull?

It IS a fact that outside Starfleet, no other group has as larger a fanbase as the Klingons. NO other group outside Starfleet has been represented in the varied TV series and movies as the Klingons.

Go ahead and do a Google search on "Klingon" and see how much you get. Go ahead and do another search for "Romulan" or any other well represented group in Star Trek outside the Federation & Starfleet. Go ahead, and see what you get.

The Romulans have had a far, FAR less showing throughout the IP. Nobody else but the Federation has been well represented and followed as the Klingons. Other Star Trek games have gone through the trouble of providing equal game experience and variety when they did multiple faction play, going so far as to flesh out the ship lineups for the non-Starfleet groups.

There is nothing wrong with the Klingons in general. What has been wrong is how poorly developed the KDF faction is in STO.

THOSE are facts.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    but they're ugly, letheans and nausicaans are ugly as hell too, but i don't hate them, and tbh cryptic treats everyone badly, they just treat the feds better since it represents most of the population, and my suggestions could even the populations, and thus bring more stuff for the klingons.

What suggestion ?? We have half-naked Slave Girls, nymphomaniac Trills ... so what's that mystery species you're suggesting ... also making Qo'noS "prettier" isn't an option ... because it wouldn't be Qo'noS, and you'd TRIBBLE on the last loyal KDF Fans who care about you know ... "Star Trek" ...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    You did not get a word he said, did you?

Not a single one of those facts got through your skull?

It IS a fact that outside Starfleet, no other group has as larger a fanbase as the Klingons. NO other group outside Starfleet has been represented in the varied TV series and movies as the Klingons.

The Romulans have had a far, FAR less showing throughout the IP.

There is nothing wrong with the Klingons in general. What has been wrong is how poorly developed the KDF faction is in STO.

THOSE are facts.

if those are the facts, then the KDF would have had a high population from the start of their release in the game, but was that the case? weren't most players feddies and continue to be so? you're saying there is this HUGE klingon fanbase, but almost no one plays this? i find that slightly hard to believe.
    What suggestion ?? We have half-naked Slave Girls, nymphomaniac Trills ... so what's that mystery species you're suggesting ... also making Qo'noS "prettier" isn't an option ... because it wouldn't be Qo'noS, and you'd TRIBBLE on the last loyal KDF Fans who care about you know ... "Star Trek" ...

idk, i'm just being pragmatic and suggesting something that another game attempted and worked, better than watch the faction slowly die, because that is what will happen if things keep up as it is.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited June 2014

And that's all the kdf has going for it after the avenger undid the battlecruiser advantage. Whoopiefreakingdoo!
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    if those are the facts, then the KDF would have had a high population from the start of the game, but was that the case? weren't most players feddies since the start? you're saying there is this HUGE klingon fanbase, but almost no one plays this? i find that slightly hard to believe.

idk, i'm just being pragmatic and suggesting something that another game attempted and worked, better than watch the faction slowly die, because that is what will happen if things keep up as it is.

The kdf was never starved for content, right? You never had to play a fed before playing kdf, right? Yeah, keep living in your fantasy world under a rock.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    The kdf was never starved for content, right? You never had to play a fed before playing kdf, right. Yeah, keep living in your fantasy world.

there is no starvation for content anymore, just ships, and i bet with you, even if cryptic were to add say 6 different great ships, fix all bugs, the KDF would still remain with low population.