test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So it's official, swimsuits can't be used anywhere but Risa.

Comments

• Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    what about them? i'm sure qu'nos has oceans on it somewhere - it is a class-m planet

inasmuch as they need to be giving people stuff to do, and as much as i'm going to take full advantage of the event, it's still time taken away from fixing the hundreds of bugs currently ingame - some of them gamebreaking

i'd rather as many of those get fixed first as humanly possible

The people that fix bugs are not the people that make maps.

The people that fix bugs are not the people make outfits.

The people that fix bugs are not the people took away our cheesecake.

Yes there is bugs that need to be taken care of but only game I know of with little to no bugs is Champions Online and you don't want STO to become like that. I look at bugs as growing pains. Once they are gone that means the game has stop growing. That would suck.
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This has likely become the sequal to the T5 Connie threads, it won't ever stop (and shouldn't). The only difference in this case is we don't know if CBS is behind it, and that really needs to be answered. Either way, the devs should have seen this coming like a sailor on a ships crow nest looking for the storm on the horizon! This is a debate that will never go away due to it's very nature, something of this sort still should have never been introduced unless it was fully allowed into the game without being singled out because some people have virgin eyes and never heard of the spirit of star trek and it's rather culturally liberal tendencies. The jetpacks had the excuse of physical issues, but not this.

They need to make up their mind now and either save themselves the later headache and scrap the idea or fully allow their use anywhere or the forums and player base will always be alight about this debate.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The people that fix bugs are not the people that make maps.

The people that fix bugs are not the people make outfits.

The people that fix bugs are not the people took away our cheesecake.

Yes there is bugs that need to be taken care of but only game I know of with little to no bugs is Champions Online and you don't want STO to become like that. I look at bugs as growing pains. Once they are gone that means the game has stop growing. That would suck.
    but the people who code the mechanics for all the new stuff on risa ARE the people who fix bugs, and while they were working on said mechanics, they weren't available for bug-stomping...plus, you can bet all this new stuff is going to come with its own set of new bugs, some of which most likely won't have any relation to risa whatsoever

remember the recent winter event? they somehow managed to break the objective arrow on the minimap when they released that...i'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how the hell they managed THAT
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    *stuffs*

They need to make up their mind now and either save themselves the later headache and scrap the idea or fully allow their use anywhere or the forums and player base will always be alight about this debate.

How about no? The Galaxy, Fed cloak, playable Tal'Shiar, and I'm guessing a few more parts of the forums don't say "Do what we say or just get rid of all of it"

I want my swimsuit and if it is Risa I don't see what is wrong with that. Surfing in an uniform is just silly :)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    How about no? The Galaxy, Fed cloak, playable Tal'Shiar, and I'm guessing a few more parts of the forums don't say "Do what we say or just get rid of all of it"

I want my swimsuit and if it is Risa I don't see what is wrong with that. Surfing in an uniform is just silly :)

Wasted potential here is the additional point beyond the selective control of what and where players can wear something, devs shouldn't waste their time making a fashion when they could have spent that time in that SAME department working on something usable in the entire game. it's a waste no matter what. I could say the same thing about the entire event, I'd have rather seen them work on missions and story maps rather than some place and activities that's only getting serious attention for about a month out of the year. Talk about wasted resources. But at least they have some re-use, like foundry so the Risa map itself has that redeeming factor, the jetpack mechanic can be used in future missions like the prior FE did etc. Either something requiring lots of work should have major implications in the entire game or not be bothered with.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Wasted potential here is the additional point beyond the selective control of what and where players can wear something, devs shouldn't waste their time making a fashion when they could have spent that time in that SAME department working on something usable in the entire game. it's a waste no matter what. I could say the same thing about the entire event, I'd have rather seen them work on missions and story maps rather than some place and activities that's only getting serious attention for about a month out of the year. Talk about wasted resources. But at least they have some re-use, like foundry so the Risa map itself has that redeeming factor, the jetpack mechanic can be used in future missions like the prior FE did etc. Either something requiring lots of work should have major implications in the entire game or not be bothered with.

It took me a while to line up my thoughts on this.

Nothing is ever wasted potential. You tell me that you saw the floaters last year and you thought would be used like they was in the FE anyway like that I would mock you. Also do anyone remember last year when they said the fact why swimsuits did not make it ingame was cause they could not lock them to Risa? Pretty sure one of the past Q&As talk about that. So who is to say they could have been made a year ago? Back to potential topic. After playing around one of the boards when it was leaked on to Tribble I can say this. The tech used on them could be something very fun to see in a new FE.

Now then, can I see some hands if you run a mission more then once just cause you like the mission and not for the shiny at the end of it? Now if your hand is not up then please tell me what is the difference between a story mission and a event? Doing things for shinies. That is what most games are. If you don't like any of the Risian shinies then just avoid it. Odds are Risa is going to be a laggy mess anyway.

I feel like been dragging on too long so I will leave this one last thing. The Summer Event has not even happen yet but I still see parties going on down there so who says people only use it during the event?
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    So uh... anyone just glad to have swimsuits at all and don't feel the need to argue about it?

Or am I alone here?

*raises hand*
    I'm just happy with everything they enhanced on Risa. Unlike some here, I'll enjoy getting swimsuits and boards to use and enjoy them on the only place in game currently apropriate.

I don't get all the *grumble, grumble, I'll boycot* stuff, I'll be on Risa doing stuff anyway might as well pick up swimsuits. Besides, Risa is open all year round. This whole debate smells started out of spite for me, because it has been widely known for several months how things will and should be.

But that's the STO forumbase for you - Cryptic makes a new ESD, people are whining because they can't enter the shuttlebay. Cryptic makes a hundred of excellent enhancements to Risa, people are whining about not being able to wear swimsutis everywhere. Very ungratefull.

And I remember clearly, last summer the argument was "Why don't we have swimsuits? We need swimsuits on the beach instead of all that clothing!". Cryptic makes swimsuits this year and now the argument is "Why are the swimsuits only for the beach!? Rabble rabble!".
    I'm almost certain that if Cryptic lets swimsuits everywhere, next year the argument will be "Why can't our female characters be on Risa topless, because women do that IRL you know.".
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    Allow the swimwear to be used all year long on risa

install a security officer

install a personal officer

install a shipyard

There will be no need to go to ESD for the Adults whom want this.......Those that dont like it dont have to come to Risa
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Never having swimwear period wouldn't have rubbed me the wrong way, there are lots of reasons certain things aren't in this game, but it's going halfway that rubs me the wrong way! You don't say "sure, you can have this particular fashion, BUT, you can't use it anywhere but in this designated map because for so and so culturally closed minded reasons!" It's just insulting because a particular fashion has been singled out from all the others out there that are no less dramatic and arguably revealing, and put unreasonable limits on it that shouldn't exist. It's a double standard, I wonder what the defense will be if KDF gets allowed ESD access someday due to peace and we have Orions there wearing such, what's the excuse then?

Nonetheless, I very rarely get into debates, and when I do, I'm not going to waste my time in them too much, I've had my say on the subject and that is all. Just wish they'd take the high road and be absolute about things like this. When you add fashion in a game, either it's for people to use fully as they wish anywhere, or not at all!
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I see why its not allowed on public places like ESD or DS9.

But why cant it be used in private instances like foundry maps? Especially ones with beaches , swimming pools and such.

Oh well, I can skip the event, saves me time.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Will there be allowed at least to have half naked men in the game? :D
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rakija879 wrote: »
    Will there be allowed at least to have half naked men in the game? :D

Gorn, Orion males.
    Get to show off their awesome macho torso anywhere, any time. :cool:
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I do understand why we can't have naked girl like character running around ESD :rolleyes:
    There are just too many old men is this game :P But if you want for your let's say Bolian male character in trunks to be all macho why not? No One would care 99% males play this game anyway :)
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This really belongs in the original subsection. It just looks weird here.
    Never having swimwear period wouldn't have rubbed me the wrong way, there are lots of reasons certain things aren't in this game, but it's going halfway that rubs me the wrong way! You don't say "sure, you can have this particular fashion, BUT, you can't use it anywhere but in this designated map because for so and so culturally closed minded reasons!" It's just insulting because a particular fashion has been singled out from all the others out there that are no less dramatic and arguably revealing, and put unreasonable limits on it that shouldn't exist. It's a double standard, I wonder what the defense will be if KDF gets allowed ESD access someday due to peace and we have Orions there wearing such, what's the excuse then?

Nonetheless, I very rarely get into debates, and when I do, I'm not going to waste my time in them too much, I've had my say on the subject and that is all. Just wish they'd take the high road and be absolute about things like this. When you add fashion in a game, either it's for people to use fully as they wish anywhere, or not at all!

I agree. I mean, they are putting so much effort into being half assed it makes no sense. Why are they putting so much effort into a something that can be only used on a single map? Unlike the winter clothes (which again, can be used anywhere) the swimsuits can be coloured. That takes much more work.

And don't mention Jetpacks/Hoverboards. I am absolutely certain they intend to give those things or similar things functionality outside of Risa.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    rakija879 wrote: »
    I do understand why we can't have naked girl like character running around ESD :rolleyes:
    There are just too many old men is this game :P But if you want for your let's say Bolian male character in trunks to be all macho why not? No One would care 99% males play this game anyway :)

It would be understandable..... if we didn't already have just that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    gorillachopsgorillachops Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    After the event, could one at least wear ones bathing suits in the confines of ones own ships? This is an invitation-only private instance, and would still permit the regular Themed Costume Contests that our Fleet holds without restricting them to taking place on Risa in perpetuity.

Lizzy is a young woman in the 25th century, whose career as a ballerina and performer has never prevented her in the past from commanding the dignity and respect of her crew. Although one is wary of using clever aguments to makes ones point, one would imagine that the human race had evolved beyond passive objectification of either gender based on clothing choices.

Thank you for your consideration.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is why we can't have anything nice.

Get a party ball, someone feels trolled.

Get a non-faction ship, someone feels trolled.

Get some swimwear, someone is bound to feel trolled.

I don't care what someone wants their toon to wear. And really, go to Qo'nos, essentially naked Orions constantly frolic and no cares.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's not something I find useful for my characters, but honestly I don't see why the restriction. I can have my Orion wear a bikini everywhere without restrictions.
  • Options
    catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited June 2014
    It's not like Starfleet has a dearth of smutty outfits for female characters.

The lack of male eye candy outfits for Starfleet is probably the bigger issue.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited June 2014
    So, Cryptic are restricting swim wear to one of the only maps where swim wear is suitable, reply'ers are upset due to the cringe on their freedom, Forum Management feels this is a game mechanics issue, but the OP posted this as an art issue...
    Am I getting this right?
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Because that's canon attire for Orions. Starfleet personnel don't spend their days walking about on duty in their underwear, do they? This is a no brainer.

No amount of crying, whining, pining or foot stomping is going to change it.

I have characters that are not members of Starfleet in any form or fashion. Where does your not-quite-so-sound logic then reside?
    It's not like Starfleet has a dearth of smutty outfits for female characters.

The lack of male eye candy outfits for Starfleet is probably the bigger issue.

The right to punch aliens while shirtless has been thoroughly revoked here.
    lystent wrote: »
    So, Cryptic are restricting swim wear to one of the only maps where swim wear is suitable, reply'ers are upset due to the cringe on their freedom, Forum Management feels this is a game mechanics issue, but the OP posted this as an art issue...
    Am I getting this right?

Is this what the forums have become? People disagreeing with each other! CHAOS IN THE STREETS!! WHERE WILL THE MADNESS END!!!?!?!
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have characters that are not members of Starfleet in any form or fashion. Where does your not-quite-so-sound logic then reside?

I hate to break it to you, but you don't get to choose. As far as STO is concerned, you are Starfleet.
    The only thing you can do is pretend or imagine to be something else, but by no circumistances does that grant you the right to have the game development cater to your whims rather than the basic premise behind the enitre game.
    I might want to pretend that my character is Batman, does that give me the right to rant because Cryptic doesn't put a bat-suit in the C-Store?

Your logic is the one that's flawed.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Because that's canon attire for Orions. Starfleet personnel don't spend their days walking about on duty in their underwear, do they? This is a no brainer.

No amount of crying, whining, pining or foot stomping is going to change it.

Starfleet personell also don't spend their days walking around in high heels and party dresses and tuxedo's on duty. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Risa is exactly where they belong anyway. :rolleyes:
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This really belongs in the original subsection. It just looks weird here.

I agree. I mean, they are putting so much effort into being half assed it makes no sense. Why are they putting so much effort into a something that can be only used on a single map? Unlike the winter clothes (which again, can be used anywhere) the swimsuits can be coloured. That takes much more work.

And don't mention Jetpacks/Hoverboards. I am absolutely certain they intend to give those things or similar things functionality outside of Risa.

They are putting so much effort because you wanted the swimsuits.

Typical scenario, Cryptic makes something people asks for a long time.
    People hate it.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    They are putting so much effort because you wanted the swimsuits.

Typical scenario, Cryptic makes something people asks for a long time.
    People hate it.

Assuming that actually was the whole story. :rolleyes:

YES, People did ask for swimsuits to be added.
    NO, People did NOT ask for them to be locked exclusively to one map and one map alone.
    And people certainly did not ask for an epic lohlunat grind to get said map restricted outfits.

Keep in mind, that by restricting them exclusively to ONE map, it pretty much forces people to waste a whole outfit slot for that one map if they want to wear them.
    And thats a pretty big deal.