What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Battles channel (Got Canon?)

Comments

• Options
    dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    After this weekend I'd just like to point out that while STB may be a low DPS group, this does not mean NO DPS.

I had the privilege of running with a group that couldn't 4-man Donatra because two of the members were contributing literally nothing... I'm talking sub-2k DPS.

Easy as they may be for many of us the missions are still ELITE STFs and your build does need to have a minimum degree of capability before you take it in there.

If you can't meet that minimum, I'd say 3k DPS for Elite STFs, please ask someone for help. There are many of us who will be more than happy to give you a hand.
  • Options
    tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    I probably will give it a try eventually, need time between all my current goals to set up a ship for these rules. If people have to tank and heal and are dying some, its cool, my point was there should be some risk to it, not just immortal tanks slowly chewing down stuff with no real risk (which is what the rules sounded like on the surface). Probably take me a month to farm appropriate weapons etc...

One of the great things about STB is that you are able to set your own challenge level.
    Play as a veteran in a T2 ship alongside a new player in a T5 cruiser and both can have the same challenge, same DPS, same death count. We actually had some less experienced players that switched to more tanky ships to learn a bit more before going back to their more squishy favorite vessels.
    Our experienced players all know where to got for their min-max needs, and quite a lot have no problem getting 20k DPS and more and are playing that style in other builds and other groups. I am one of them. We actively look for ways to make it more challenging.

About farming appropriate weapons. A lot of us stockpile weapons for new STB players to build their ships. Also it is a tradition to let new channel members play their first few STB runs in their current setup. We then assist in getting the DPS down to STB levels and if we have it in stock, provide the necessary weapons.
    And if that means spending a few thousands EC to buy some so be it. I even bribed one of our captains with 2 million EC so he buys a Miranda for a low tier SB24 run. Which I still consider the best investment I ever made in STO, as the run was brilliant!

Also as a general note: There is no initiation ritual, we don't kick you if your DPS is over the top in the first run, you don't even have to have a STB-compliant build ready when you join the channel! Just leave your ingame handle here for an invite and/or contact one of the admins mentioned in the first post. The main reason the channel is private is because we want to welcome every captain individually and introduce him/her to STB and offer our assistance.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    dsaris wrote: »
    After this weekend I'd just like to point out that while STB may be a low DPS group, this does not mean NO DPS.

I had the privilege of running with a group that couldn't 4-man Donatra because two of the members were contributing literally nothing... I'm talking sub-2k DPS.

Easy as they may be for many of us the missions are still ELITE STFs and your build does need to have a minimum degree of capability before you take it in there.

If you can't meet that minimum, I'd say 3k DPS for Elite STFs, please ask someone for help. There are many of us who will be more than happy to give you a hand.

Ouch, that's low!
    We have no problems getting everyone to 3k+ (ISE! everything else doesn't count) without spending a dime!
    So this should really be the lowest acceptable DPS level.
    I second that!
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Anything below 3k, unless we're doing something like SB24, is a too low for a majority of the events available, especially the Elites.

As Trizeo has pointed out, 4-5k is about where you want to aim for in DPS output. I've had to tune my JHAS down to meet that goal.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited April 2014
    Instead of limiting DPS and such, why not simplify it all? Faction weapons only, all gear capped at Mk X, and everything common quality. You can buy all of that from the exchange/vendors for cheap.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
  • Options
    trizeo1trizeo1 Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good Afternoon Captains 07

I just wanted to address some of the previous posts. Please know that I mean my following comments with all due RESPECT. As from one Captain from another THAT is how it should be.
    tyriniusss wrote: »
    One of the great things about STB is that you are able to set your own challenge level.
    Play as a veteran in a T2 ship alongside a new player in a T5 cruiser and both can have the same challenge, same DPS, same death count. We actually had some less experienced players that switched to more tanky ships to learn a bit more before going back to their more squishy favorite vessels.
    Our experienced players all know where to got for their min-max needs, and quite a lot have no problem getting 20k DPS and more and are playing that style in other builds and other groups. I am one of them. We actively look for ways to make it more challenging.

About farming appropriate weapons. A lot of us stockpile weapons for new STB players to build their ships. Also it is a tradition to let new channel members play their first few STB runs in their current setup. We then assist in getting the DPS down to STB levels and if we have it in stock, provide the necessary weapons.
    And if that means spending a few thousands EC to buy some so be it. I even bribed one of our captains with 2 million EC so he buys a Miranda for a low tier SB24 run. Which I still consider the best investment I ever made in STO, as the run was brilliant!

Also as a general note: There is no initiation ritual, we don't kick you if your DPS is over the top in the first run, you don't even have to have a STB-compliant build ready when you join the channel! Just leave your ingame handle here for an invite and/or contact one of the admins mentioned in the first post. The main reason the channel is private is because we want to welcome every captain individually and introduce him/her to STB and offer our assistance.

Captain,

Very well put and thank you for mentioning what you did in your post.

I myself have bought a fellow STB member phasers and torps... MK XI if I can remember correctly... 240k it cost me. Within my resources I will help anyone who asks for assistance. But as mentioned most of us actually do have a stock pile of weapons we keep handy to help out new Captains. I personally can help outfit FED/KDF/ROM as I have some saved from random drops since the start of STB.

The only other thing I wanted to add about the invite of the channel is I want to try and welcome all Captains personally as much as I can. I usually say something like... "Captains please help me welcome Captain...... to STB" as it gives a sense of community that has come out of STB.
    Anything below 3k, unless we're doing something like SB24, is a too low for a majority of the events available, especially the Elites.

As Trizeo has pointed out, 4-5k is about where you want to aim for in DPS output. I've had to tune my JHAS down to meet that goal.

Captain,

Thank you for your input as well on this. I will more response in my next reply but yes the sweet spot is 4 - 5k but I have recorded ALL my ships and I can say there is about 4 ships of mine that are Below that but they still do manage to contribute to the team.
    donrah wrote: »
    Instead of limiting DPS and such, why not simplify it all? Faction weapons only, all gear capped at Mk X, and everything common quality. You can buy all of that from the exchange/vendors for cheap.

Captain,

I appreciate your input as well.

To reply to your quesiton... In the beginning of STB I did say that MK X blue is what I used and recommended it for the STB build. As time went on I found out that there is more ways to down ones DPS. That could be taking off tac consoles or adjusting weapons power or even if your a 4 front 4 aft ship go 3 front 3 aft.

I understand that some don't have the means to aquire weapons so we have been able to come up with the above mentioned methods and are still welcome to more.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    dsaris wrote: »

Captain 07,

As I mentioned in my previous reply, I say what I'm about to say with all due RESPECT as THAT is how we should treat each other.

Some can take your above statement as offensive and even a bit harsh. Let's be constructive when we address each other.. I do agree however with your last sentence that there are many of of within STB than can help out with an STB build.

In regards to your statement of contributing nothing... notebly the sub 2k

Negh
    CombatLogReader—Khitomer Space[24:18]— Dmg(DPS) —Norgh 4,965,482(3,405) Stargazer 4,650,053(3,189) J'war 3,945,727(2,706) Yeslay 2,780,049(1,906) Gunnar 1,631,804(1,119)

Negh
    CombatLogReader—Infected Space[9:05]— Dmg(DPS) —Stargazer 4.122.341(7.577) Wyli 2.907.622(5.335) Setek 2.405.415(4.446) Norgh 1.849.948(3.438) J'war 1.277.981(2.384)

GALAXY
    CombatLogReader—Khitomer Space[9:28]— Dmg(DPS) —Andrew F. 3,554,645(6,258) Sin 2,110,382(3,715) Emira Fere 1,817,532(3,199) Mr. Tom 1,655,294(2,914) ZED 683,185(1,202)

VECTOR
    CombatLogReader—Cure Space[17:32]— Dmg(DPS) —Trizeo 5.620.766(5.342) Krunt Kaam 3.173.918(3.093) S'vek 2.946.463(2.808) Drelk 2.326.043(2.217) Yeslay 1.100.516(1.059)

Above are the parses I've kept record of, it has the big 3 borg STF's elites that is usually run at any given time.

Under the Negh, that is my new lvl 50 KDF that I use here and there but as you can see I hit 2.7k in Khit & 2.3k in ISE.

My Galaxy is my lvl 50 FED which is actually an A2B and I scored a whopping 1.2k

For my Vector that is my lvl 50 FED tac which I scored the highest of 5.3k

I remember these ones and from what I can tell... we all did these missions just fine. As you can see we even have myself and some others below the 2k. One of them, Yeslay, is an admin of the channel and I can remember him saying... "that was fun" in fact even all the others.

Someone can score low dps for a couple of reasons... 1 they are too far from the parser and 2 they are playing a support role and concentrate on healing more than shooting.

So just because I scored the 1.2k in my Gal does that mean that I can no longer take my Gal in?

Gal R
    CombatLogReader—Cure Space[14:01]— Dmg(DPS) —Jeran 4.510.321(5.369) Andrew F. 4.164.568(5.011) ZED 4.150.392(5.006) Ruto 1.893.850(3.259) Krunt Kaam 1.339.560(1.767)

Above is my Gal again in Cure.. same set up as before but she clocked in at 5k. Notice tho that the time on this was longer as well.

Any Captain can fly WHATEVER ship they want. I mentioned that in the first post, I will NEVER tell anyone that they CANNOT take a ship into a mission because their DPS is TOO LOW.

STB is meant to be a channel where we can come and fly our ships and NOT worry about negetive comments or things of that such. STB is meant to be FUN... plain and simple. Has some missions gone wrong? of course!... but really in the end we didn't care if we lost an optional or if we gave up because we couldn't complete a mission like CE in a low tier run before.

If there are any issues please LMK and I will try to help and resolve... let's keep STB fun for all.

Again as I mentioned I say this with all due respect and do not mean to offend you or anyone else. Thank you for your understanding Captain 07
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Hm Trizeo, sorry to be the Advocatus Diaboli but of your parses only the ISE one counts...
    There is an inherent flaw in the way the game recoginzes damage, that makes everything but ISE/ISN unreliable (distances to the one who parses etc)

But I can confirm one thing: a good control build, like the mirror novas we had in recent runs can be way be below 3k or even below 2k and contribute WAY more than any other ship just by saving the day with Gravity Wells and TBRs!
    That's also why I think it is impossible to make strict rules that just work. If anything we have to make the channels goal clearer.

But there is one thing I would really like to make clear: I started to love this channel when we were all sporting (orange!) phasers and photons/quantums. We charged in and it looked like in the shows.
    Sure, you can make your lockbox/event ship look canon, but there is nothing like having a full task force of canon Fed/KDF ships charging in!
    Can't be so hard to switch off the set visuals and find a sjip that looks like in the shows.

The above is my personal and has no connection whatsover to the official opion of STB!
  • Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    trizeo1 wrote: »
    Some can take your above statement as offensive and even a bit harsh. Let's be constructive when we address each other.. I do agree however with your last sentence that there are many of of within STB than can help out with an STB build.

I know I take offence to it.

Someone can score lop dps for a couple of reasons... 1 they are too far from the parser and 2 they are playing a support role and concentrate on healing more than shooting.

I agree, for if we did not have ships like the Atrox, or the Nova in our team, we would survive a lot less, and there would be a less CC.

So just because I scored the 1.2k in my Gal does that mean that I can no longer take my Gal in?

If it were to, it would mean I would have to leave, for most of my ships hit below 3K, but as far as I can tell I still contribute.

Answers above. Note, I am not addressing Trizeo, merely reinforcing the points in responce to Dsaris.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    sevmragesevmrage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Something I thought I might offer. My two STB builds.

U.S.S. Crimson's Fury X
    U.S.S. Silvari Union

Both of these kinda break the rules of STB builds, but at the same time, they underperform for the task at hand. I've been thinking of upgrading the phasers to Fleet to try and push my DPS higher. And I run these all out, double A2B and everything.
    Weyland-Yutani Joint Space Venture - Always open to new members!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My name is Rage, and I too support a revised Galaxy family.
    khayuung wrote: »
    Firstly, be proud! You're part of the few, the stubborn, the Federation Dreadnought Captains.
  • Options
    donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited April 2014
    Captain,

I appreciate your input as well.

To reply to your quesiton... In the beginning of STB I did say that MK X blue is what I used and recommended it for the STB build. As time went on I found out that there is more ways to down ones DPS. That could be taking off tac consoles or adjusting weapons power or even if your a 4 front 4 aft ship go 3 front 3 aft.

I understand that some don't have the means to aquire weapons so we have been able to come up with the above mentioned methods and are still welcome to more.

Personally, I think simple accessibility would be the best course of action. Give all the players a simple standard to follow that anyone can adhere to. The easier it is to participate, the more people can join in on the fun, and I think we can agree we want to grow. Any brand-new level 50 can scrape together the 100K to 200K necessary EC to build a ship to this standard. You can make that much on the way up to level 50 if you're economical about it.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There are many ways to adjust. To make my ships usable with any equipment I drop my weapon power and remove some abilities from my tray. Removing tactical consoles also helps a lot.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    sevmrage wrote: »
    Something I thought I might offer. My two STB builds.

U.S.S. Crimson's Fury X
    U.S.S. Silvari Union

Both of these kinda break the rules of STB builds, but at the same time, they underperform for the task at hand. I've been thinking of upgrading the phasers to Fleet to try and push my DPS higher. And I run these all out, double A2B and everything.

Captain 07,

As mentioned before some do use fleet weapons but just adjust power levels and or take off consoles. We can parse them to see where they are currently are.
    donrah wrote: »
    Personally, I think simple accessibility would be the best course of action. Give all the players a simple standard to follow that anyone can adhere to. The easier it is to participate, the more people can join in on the fun, and I think we can agree we want to grow. Any brand-new level 50 can scrape together the 100K to 200K necessary EC to build a ship to this standard. You can make that much on the way up to level 50 if you're economical about it.

Good day Captain 07,

I have been talking with the admins and they have suggested putting down strict rules as opposed to my guidelines which I am not opposed to doing but I feel doing so might turn off people to the channel as even though we might have the EC to spend some might not and at first glance will not try it as they have to "shell out" for new weapons.

I do whole heartedly agree that I/we want to grow the channel and that your suggestion could also attract more as well.

I will have some discussions and bring up the following points

1 - Channel rules & regulations
    2 - Weapons allowed IE Harpeng torp - this will be discussed as it was brought up as it is NOT show CANON but STO CANON. That being said really then ALL weapons would be allowed again but goes against the RACE SPECIFIC weapons in a way as all factions use AP for example. Another point brought up is if the borg kinetic beam can be used for "show accuracy" meaning look wise on a KDF ship. This area might have to be examined more closely but up to this point no one had issues using Photons/Quantums but as the members grow so does "their" definition of ST.
    3 - Ships allowed I mention before that ANY ship can be used just use the race specific weapons and dial down the dps.

Those are some points that have come up here and there so I am going to see if we can call an ADMIN meeting to discuss these rules as well as try to define really what STB is and where it's going.

I think for the most part most of you Captains know me by now... I just want to have fun, I want to play STO to play out my fantasy of being Captain of my ship. I want also STB to be a place where everyone can go and feel welcomed.

I've mentioned this before and I stand by it.... STB IS my fleet and all you Captains are my fleet mates. I have forged some really good friendships in my time in STO but none more meaningful then the ones forged in STB.

In the end... it's a game.... let's play the game and have fun doing so STB style!

Captain Trizeo signing off 07
  • Options
    dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Captain 07,

2 - Weapons allowed IE Harpeng torp - this will be discussed as it was brought up as it is NOT show CANON but STO CANON.

If I may interject, I believe STO Canon is the way to go here. Still race specific type, but in the way that STO has them used.

Romulans, for example, use Plasma in STO... whereas they used Disruptor in TV/Movie Trek.

As far as AP goes, the only ships I can see using it are the Temporal ones, Voth, Undine and the Kar'fi carrier. As those use AP within the realm of STO canon.
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I originally bought a bunch of common Mk X and Mk XI stuff for use in the channel missions but quickly got rid of them since inventory slots are at a premium, especially since Ship Loadouts came about.

Reducing weapon power is an "inventory slot friendly" method of controlling DPS and allows you to be more survivable by diverting the power to Shields or Aux.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    I originally bought a bunch of common Mk X and Mk XI stuff for use in the channel missions but quickly got rid of them since inventory slots are at a premium, especially since Ship Loadouts came about.

Reducing weapon power is an "inventory slot friendly" method of controlling DPS and allows you to be more survivable by diverting the power to Shields or Aux.

Yeah, this is my reasoning as well. I used to use my old ships for storage, meaning I could switch to an STB loadout without losing a good chunk of my inventory. Of course, playing STB-style encourages you to actually use more than one ship, and those storage ships either see use now or were dismissed in favor of new ships I actually want to fly. It's not really practical to have a second set of weaponry anymore.

There are also some weapons that only come in very rare quality. If we want to use those on the ships that use them in canon, we have no choice but to adjust power levels to compensate. If you're not doing massive spike damage and your DPS is in line with everyone else, then I really don't see an issue.

As for rules, I don't see what's wrong with what we have now: Fly what you want, put the weapons it used on-screen/in-game (on NPCs) on it, torps both ends, don't kill things in one volley. I'm afraid being more restrictive will push some players away from the channel. I've never been on when something happened that would justify being more restrictive than that. The more rules there are, the less fun there is to be had.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Firstly, be proud! You're part of the few, the stubborn, the Federation Dreadnought Captains.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzompnf9fo&feature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc07LqibZ4A&feature=youtu.be

Still low quality and wrong resolution, but youtube has begun fixing the poor resolution. Yay!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Just finished watching them. How are they being recorded?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    OBS, Open Broadcaster Software set up to copy game action. I could stream the game as I was playing it, but not sure on what quality I would have. Just got the program and haven't fully tested it.

Thought I'd just use this quote. It works well enough, though for me the quality is poor, and the as I have a large monitor, it has a poor resolution. I'll try to help you set up if needed, but to be honest, Risingstar would be better to explain it.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, this is my reasoning as well. I used to use my old ships for storage, meaning I could switch to an STB loadout without losing a good chunk of my inventory. Of course, playing STB-style encourages you to actually use more than one ship, and those storage ships either see use now or were dismissed in favor of new ships I actually want to fly. It's not really practical to have a second set of weaponry anymore.

There are also some weapons that only come in very rare quality. If we want to use those on the ships that use them in canon, we have no choice but to adjust power levels to compensate. If you're not doing massive spike damage and your DPS is in line with everyone else, then I really don't see an issue.

As for rules, I don't see what's wrong with what we have now: Fly what you want, put the weapons it used on-screen/in-game (on NPCs) on it, torps both ends, don't kill things in one volley. I'm afraid being more restrictive will push some players away from the channel. I've never been on when something happened that would justify being more restrictive than that. The more rules there are, the less fun there is to be had.

Captain 07

I do feel the same way about stricter rules as I do want to keep the channel fun. My personal view on such weapons as the borg cutting beam for example would be a no but I think if we all talk about any questions that come up and stay true to the nature of what STB is there shouldn't be a problem.

We will see how things go and address anything that may come up.

Thank you for your input Captain 07
  • Options
    emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How do I sign up? (only read the first and last pages)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    emarosa26 wrote: »
    How do I sign up? (only read the first and last pages)

Good Day Captain,

Thank you for your interest.

You can leave your in game handle here or contact me in game @trizeo1.

Look forward to hearing from you.

• Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I also wanted to commend the following Captains for their completion of HOSE STB style.

Captain Will commended the TF with flying colors as they completed it using their STB builds. I believe you were on of them Captian Tharon.. great work all 07

I believe that run in particular ended with one of those participating saying the Iliad is a quote Monster unquote for solo-tanking about the last 5-10% of Unimatrix Command Vessel Two of Twos' hull... Have to admit, I wasn't exactly expecting to survive either, but in the words of one of the legends of starfleet "Either they're going down, or we are".

Venture Forth!
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzompnf9fo&feature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc07LqibZ4A&feature=youtu.be

Still low quality and wrong resolution, but youtube has begun fixing the poor resolution. Yay!

Check the resolution you're using in-game. If you have only 1 screen, switch it over to Windowed (Maximized), adjust the settings to the highest resolution your monitor is capable of. Should help clear up the issue of incorrect screen size and resolution issues. Just thought of that.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I tried to contact you in game yesterday about joining up, but it didn't seem to work. Could you contact me? My handle is Emarosa@emarosa26
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    emarosa26 wrote: »
    I tried to contact you in game yesterday about joining up, but it didn't seem to work. Could you contact me? My handle is Emarosa@emarosa26

Invite has been sent. Make sure to check your chat settings (Channel Tab) to accept the invite.

Our Battles
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Had a blast running an FFA in Rose's old Ambassador. I just wish I could get her a T5 Fed ship. Sorry I couldn't record it. I REALLY wanted to. Got some good angles on the action in there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    sevmrage wrote: »
    Had a blast running an FFA in Rose's old Ambassador. I just wish I could get her a T5 Fed ship. Sorry I couldn't record it. I REALLY wanted to. Got some good angles on the action in there.

Captain 07

I think eventually when I start upgrading my ships the Ambassador will DEFINATELY be one of them. Shes a beaut!.... turns like a rock but a pretty rock!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I've been using phasers a little bit (trying to get used to them before I join in on anything), and they're so much fun compared to Dual Heavy cannons. Broadsiding looks badass too. I think I might jump in on something today!