What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you want Borg Playable ships? Mini Poll

Comments

• Options
    wjeremy16wjeremy16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    simple. after Borg lockbox, we'll get an Iconian Lockbox and then a Q lockbox.
    </sarc>(I hope)
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    erei1 wrote: »

Question 4) Even if you don't want them - do you think it could be the best selling Lock-Box - especially if they add lots of Borg doffs and Borg plasma weapons(Romulans would like more plasma weapons!)

Unfortunately, yes.
    Also, unfortunately it will come. Cryptic said no, but money will change their minds on the question.
    And we already have undines ship, so...

This seems to be the general feeling. There are probably just SOO many players in game that want to do STF's or just orbit Earth in their playable Borg Ships, that Cryptic would just be leaving a mountain of money lying on the table. I doubt they will leave that money there untouched.
  • Options
    fcaptkmtonfcaptkmton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If they did, I woukd want the ship that Lore and his band of borg were using.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes there are a few threads about the possible upcoming "Borg Lock Box"

Some people say we won't get Cubes but other things from Diamonds to spheres.

So lets do a Poll - which is not too scientific because only a small percent of people really interested in the game visit the forums(unless there is a huge crash)

Question 1) Would you want a Cube type ship if possible?

Question 2) Would you want a Borg Diamond?

Question 3) Would you want a Borg Tactical Sphere?

Question 4) Even if you don't want them - do you think it could be the best selling Lock-Box - especially if they add lots of Borg doffs and Borg plasma weapons(Romulans would like more plasma weapons!)

1. no.

2. no.

3. no such thing, no.

4. do i think? not about this as its just speculation.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No I just like sticking to faction based ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, if they're gonna do Playable Borg Ships, it should be like the Adapted Destroyer/Battlecruiser - Borg gear transforming a normal ship.
  • Options
    kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    1. Not really, no. That would cause some big logistical problems.

2. If I wanted to fly a Borg ship, which I don't really, this would be it.

3. Meh, same as 1.

4. Can't say. I don't think it would be as big a deal as people think. And also, why does everyone always forget about probes? They're the obvious choice, if we're going to have playable Borg ships. They aren't diagonally symmetrical, so they at least have a recognizable front-back axis, if not a front end, and they're not much bigger than our ships.

Basically though, I'd rather not have a Borg lockbox. Not because it's somehow implausible -- it's easy enough to come up with reasonable explanations for almost anything, including bioships (the story seems to be that they just gutted the things, plopped in some AQ tech, and called it a day -- oh, and remember, there are probably only about three or four of each type of retrofitted ship, in-universe) -- but because the Borg have been done to death. They are, quite simply, irrelevant.

It's the great irony of the Borg -- while they claim to be able to adapt, it's the Alpha Quadrant that has adapted. They showed up and scared everyone. But we learned how to deal with them, and because they're a collective, because they have no real creativity, they weren't able to cope with an enemy that didn't fall under their initial strike. So now that we've adapted, they're little more than an annoyance. Still a threat, to be sure, and still something to be taken seriously lest they find a way to make a resurgence, but dealt with easily enough. No point in retreading old ground.
  • Options
    sdominickkanesdominickkane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    no

No

No

sadly yes...

my sentiments exactly.
    Red Squad Dominick Kane
    USS Arrow-B, Defiant Class.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't really care....if people want to buy it, that's on them.....I'm not here to tell others how to play, or What Trek should be.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Borg Tactical Sphere
    - Unlocks only for Liberated Borg Captains (Lifetime sub) via Tier 5 Omega Reputation Project
    - Fleet Borg Tactical Sphere Upgrade after unlocking (Extra Tac Console, More Hull)

Liberated Borg Captains can use their knowledge & experience from being a former Borg Drone in order create a temporary hive-mind with their Bridge Officers, allowing them to operate the vessel with high efficiency (+Hull Regen, Adaptive Shielding, Borg Cutting Beam + Tractor Beam, whatever devs want to put on a Universal Borg Sphere Console).

This can be considered canon also. Refer to the Voyager Episode where Chakotay formed a temporary hive mind with a Liberated Borg Colony using equipment salvaged from their wrecked borg vessel.

I'd go for it.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I do NOT want playable Borg ships.

End of story.
  • Options
    alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No

4. Yes

I feel like cryptic will hear the profit in the wind, and let this thing lose eventually, because now with the Undine lockbox, the wind is blowing
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    with all of what cryptic has added time ships bio ships why not borg ships?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    no it would brake the game.

but yes i would love to have a tac cube. and they cant be Borg ships without the assimilation beam hehe.
  • Options
    legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited April 2014
    A Borg lockbox with weaponry, consoles , and duty officers that aren't available to players currently might be feasible, but I'm just not seeing playable Borg ships. They wouldn't match the current client side movement mechanics at all. Could you imagine having to spiral up or down in a Borg Cube or Sphere?? :eek:

SMH! :rolleyes:
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • Options
    captainpirkocaptainpirko Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There have been several games in the past that have had playable Borg.
    No reason why STO can't also. :rolleyes:

ahh yes, star trek armada, where the borg are reskins of the same stats every other faction has. so a borg cube is identical to the sovereign, sphere to akira, etc. no, that's not the borg and frankly was disappointing in that game too.
    or did you mean how star trek legacy did it? where if you play as a borg you could fly a tactical cube and basically solo 7 fleets of 4 ships and probably not have to respawn once. if that sort of ship got into STO, every single mission in the game would be pointless. the only challenge would be "hey, maybe i'll break my record of crossing this sector in 4 hours?" cause, borg ship never move very fast. speed is irrelevant. resistance is futile. retreat is futile. you will be assimilated.
    [SIGPIC]Timelords Fleet [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ahh yes, star trek armada, where the borg are reskins of the same stats every other faction has. so a borg cube is identical to the sovereign, sphere to akira, etc. no, that's not the borg and frankly was disappointing in that game too.
    or did you mean how star trek legacy did it? where if you play as a borg you could fly a tactical cube and basically solo 7 fleets of 4 ships and probably not have to respawn once. if that sort of ship got into STO, every single mission in the game would be pointless. the only challenge would be "hey, maybe i'll break my record of crossing this sector in 4 hours?" cause, borg ship never move very fast. speed is irrelevant. resistance is futile. retreat is futile. you will be assimilated.

what the borg in armada where awesome if you know what to do. make a army of cubes asslamate any ships in your path and with a stack of cubes you could do it quickly run those new ships back to the reapir doc. i would devastate players with there own ships and cubes lol.
  • Options
    garrethuntergarrethunter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't want it to happen but

If it happened:

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes
    Strength lies not in defence but in attack.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I only want a Borg Cube, if it's in design of mission 'Assimilation', when you visit 'Ship's Bridge' AND with smackable, kickable Borg Drones... and no shortage of those. :D:D:D

PS: Yes, there's just not enough Borg to smack in the re-worked mission, it made me really sad, as I used to run the old version on Elite, for sole purpose of solo Borg-smack. Yay for losing that now.

PPS: Wouldn't mind having a Sphere though, given my character's origin. ;)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    edited April 2014
    theirs just no money in it. the Borg only have a few ships. cube, spear, diamond, probe, tac cube. and what would you do for a story line the Borg are pretty basic go hear assimilate that. and being everyone would play them what ships would they sell you hell they don't even have enough to cover all the different classes.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    gogereaver wrote: »
    theirs just no money in it. the Borg only have a few ships. cube, spear, diamond, probe, tac cube. and what would you do for a story line the Borg are pretty basic go hear assimilate that. and being everyone would play them what ships would they sell you hell they don't even have enough to cover all the different classes.
    Well.... Shatner's version of the Borg could make ships of arbitrary sizes and shapes by reassembling square blocks of structural materials. :P (no this doesn't make sense when you really think about it) It'd be funny to see how that could translate into a playable ship. Maybe even have several player ships merge Voltron style.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well.... Shatner's version of the Borg could make ships of arbitrary sizes and shapes by reassembling square blocks of structural materials. :P (no this doesn't make sense when you really think about it) It'd be funny to see how that could translate into a playable ship. Maybe even have several player ships merge Voltron style.

Or how about a Rubik's Borg Cube where you have to solve the Rubik's Cube to activates its unique console ability.
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Pretty sure they said no to this. And it would just create more trolls to "follow" you around and harass you. I'm having my feddie harassed enough in PM by KDF players over the new FE's ending. Getting old. Like seriously. I don't need player borg ship stalkers on top of it.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd like a cute Borg Sphere, yes. :)

Seriously, though, problem with playable Borg ships is not canon (that ship has long since sailed), but the fact that the power of a Cube would have to be scaled down to such a degree, to match the output of what a single player is supposed to do, in terms of DPS, that the ship itself would lose all credibility.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    asovanraasovanra Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes to all of the above. Cryptic would make a lot of money, most players would buy them and folks who have never played star trek but enjoyed the series (and enjoy gaming) would download STO just to buy borg ships. Their BORG SHIPS DUDE!!! FREAKING BORG SHIPS!!!!!!!!

If you're "Aaaarnalld" in the jungle being hunted by the predator, do you want a bb gun or a grenade launcher? It's a GRENADE LAUNCHER!!!
  • Options
    stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes to all 4 questions plus it would be great to see a Borg Playable faction.
  • Options
    ayreon76#1360 ayreon76 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    to all 4 yes

who wil not fly a borg cube with 10k drones ad your command :p:)
    i do if i must i spend all my real mony into it

only they need to nerf it ad pvp wil not be fair a cube vs normal ship XD
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Question 1) Would you want a Cube type ship if possible?
    God Hell No
    Question 2) Would you want a Borg Diamond?
    Hell No
    Question 3) Would you want a Borg Tactical Sphere?
    No
    If this question had been posed to me this time six months ago, I'd have said no. However, Cryptic went ahead and did an Undine Lock Box and pretty much wiped their behinds with pages of lore, so what the hell.

Truth is, as stupid as it would be, a Borg Lock Box would sell. My worry is that they're getting to the main bad ships too quick. Undine already? Lets say we get Borg next (what if scenario) how would you better that? Oh, I know - an Iconian Lock Box - but wait, how do you better that? :rolleyes:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    the only thing going for the devs atm is that a borg playable faction of hugh and axum/korok like borg have come together, put aside their differences and attempted to find a place to call home while attempting to build a new way of life, a retcon of the RR if you will. so new ships filled in with some previous borg ships. if that is the case, then a borg lockbox is possible.

i would imagine these borg retain schematics for ships around the galaxy, so building from designs for a new borg like design wouldnt be too hard i would of thought. better then that massive ship seen on TNG, that was way too big, just as well it was vaporized in a solar ejection.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.