What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

RE: General Season 9 Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree with the op on this. Trying to force that stupid rep.system on everyone is just BS. I login less and less these days and this makes it worse. Been playing since launch and pre ordered the collection edition. My time with this game is getting short and i know no one cares. But i loved Star Trek and what they have done to it now makes me sick.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    redheadguy wrote: »
    :eek: oh, awesome that! Wish I had know about that when they took out the ship costumes! Is there a time limit to fill out a support ticket? Can you give me a link to get more info about that??

The Ship Costumes weren't removed from your account. They were removed from the C-Store so no one can buy them anymore without purchasing the Fleet Ships. So people that bought the Ship Costumes before Cryptic removed them from the C-Store still have them. There is a huge difference between Cryptic making an item purchased from the C-Store completely useless and Cryptic no longer selling the item.
  • Options
    redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2014
    Do you know how bad this nerf was? Instead of mega-awesome-uber OP I am now just regular OP, what a slap in the face!
    Actually, I'm more OP than i ever was. I spec into just space or ground depending on what i'm doing, and can use ALL OF THE SPACE/GROUND ABILITIES. I now excel in combat at everything. Thanks Cryptic.

Oh and whiners, suck my excelsior's nacelle :P
  • Options
    mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Except you didn't read the fine print like I DID. In the TOS/EULA it CLEARLY states as owner of this game they can and will change this game in any way they see fit to do so. So you feeling ripped off because you flatly ignored the fine print that many people SHOUD READ, well that's your look out pal, not PWE.

They left it open to be read at any time. So feel ripped off all ya like, not going to change squat that you simply did not read and then got shocked when a gaming company did something that is well within their rights to do so.

Yes I did, I know all about ownership, like I said, i'm not that fussed, I was just exploring another way of explaining how people feel.
  • Options
    redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    redz4tw wrote: »
    Actually, I'm more OP than i ever was. I spec into just space or ground depending on what i'm doing, and can use ALL OF THE SPACE/GROUND ABILITIES. I now excel in combat at everything. Thanks Cryptic.

Oh and whiners, suck my excelsior's nacelle :P

There is a dirty pun there... But I'd better pass. :P Maybe next time?
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rjay1985rjay1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is this a slap in the face? Kinda. But all and all, i like the changes. It means new players are timelocked out of pvp because the have to grind to get their toons stronger. It makes the grind SOOOO much easier and cheaper. You can get all the marks needed for your dailies IN ONE MISSION. With an average time of twenty minutes per mission youre done with all dailyies in an hour. Then on to the next toon, or....no grinding for the day if thats your only toon. And sure i paid ALOT for gear, but now i dont, PLUS! Chill out people, adapt and overcome.

You can't apply logic to a video game discussion! How dare you!?:D
  • Options
    gosabresgosabres Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I wasn't throwing a "temper tantrum" as you put it. If I'd have known this was how they (Cryptic/PWE) conduct business, I wouldn't have spend ANY of my money on this game. Knowing this now means I'm even LESS likely to do so. Your analogy is off point as well as theme parks don't make those changes while people are there. They do it when they have closed down for a season, or they block off that section of the park. They don't take your money for a ride then close it down while your on it!

Just because you don't agree with what I have said, that is no justification to insult me or anyone else who has a similar opinion.

I wouldn't say it was an "insult" but just cold, harsh, reality of business being stated rather bluntly. And that posters point is still valid. You 'own' as much of this game, as you 'own' as much of McDonalds if you walked in and bought a Big Mac. You are a customer. No more, no less. But not an 'owner'.

Now, as a customer, you're entitled to the rights and services a business has defined as available to customers, through their policies, etc... Like the EULA (End User License Agreement) and TOS (Terms of Service) that is agreed upon and accepted by the player before they are allowed to participate in the offerings.

You can toss around irrelevant analogies all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that within the EULA and TOS are statements indicating that the owner of the game can make changes, when they want, and how they want. And, as an active player in the game, those are statements you have agreed upon when clicking the "I accept" button.

Did it play out the way you expected? In this case, it sounds like it didn't. However, this is nothing new to online gaming, nor isolated to just PWE or Cryptic.
  • Options
    casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You go to work, you get paid, you get to take a lunch break each day.

Then Season 9 happens and your boss calls you into their office and says - with a bright smile on their face - "good news!"

"From now on, for each five day working week you're being given three pay days ad two lunch breaks. You can take the payments and breaks on any day you like - you can even mix and match so you can be paid TWICE for a single day's work or take two lunch breaks in the same day. Even better - your pay is going up by 20% and your lunch breaks are now 90 minutes long instead of just an hour! Now, all you need to do is decide when you want your three payments and two lunch breaks! Oh, and did I mention you can change your choices whenever you like - all you need to do is fill in a simple form!"

Yeah, that's great. Except you've gone from being paid $750 a week to $540, and your break time has fallen from 5 hours to 3.

Time to quit the job?
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    OP, you're going to catch flak for comparing S9 to the NGE--and rightfully so. For many of us, the NGE remains a very sore wound, and to trivialize what happened to SWG by comparing it to a seasonal update in STO is not a way to win ears.

That said, I do agree that there's a disconnect between the concept and follow-through of the trait system. You bring up a lot of valid points--especially how the changes will disincentive reputation investment.
  • Options
    damainxdamainx Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like the new changes, all of them. Great job Cryptic / PWE!
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I wasn't throwing a "temper tantrum" as you put it. If I'd have known this was how they (Cryptic/PWE) conduct business, I wouldn't have spend ANY of my money on this game. Knowing this now means I'm even LESS likely to do so. Your analogy is off point as well as theme parks don't make those changes while people are there. They do it when they have closed down for a season, or they block off that section of the park. They don't take your money for a ride then close it down while your on it!

Just because you don't agree with what I have said, that is no justification to insult me or anyone else who has a similar opinion.

IF you feel insulted, well sorry, but I am a blunt person who's getting a little long in the tooth about all this whining.

And that last line in your first paragraph, guess what EVERY SINGLE GAMING COMPANY DOES THAT.

Hell Wargamming in World of tanks is NOTORIOUS for putting out severly overpowered tanks and Tank destroyers so that people will burn money hand over fist to get them only to turn around 2-6 months later and drop the nerf bomb while laughing about it.

This is why when changes like this happen I don't even bat an eyelash at it anymore. It has happened before and it will happen again, and again and again.

Either buckle up and get ready for the ride or jump off. Only two ways about it. And that's beyond STO pal, that's any game.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    IF you feel insulted, well sorry, but I am a blunt person who's getting a little long in the tooth about all this whining.

And that last line in your first paragraph, guess what EVERY SINGLE GAMING COMPANY DOES THAT.

Hell Wargamming in World of tanks is NOTORIOUS for putting out severly overpowered tanks and Tank destroyers so that people will burn money hand over fist to get them only to turn around 2-6 months later and drop the nerf bomb while laughing about it.

This is why when changes like this happen I don't even bat an eyelash at it anymore. It has happened before and it will happen again, and again and again.

Either buckle up and get ready for the ride or jump off. Only two ways about it. And that's beyond STO pal, that's any game.

Be fair to the bloke(?), he didn't know to file a ticket and has said as such.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Here's a fallacy you all just need to understand.
    (snip)
    DEAL WITH IT.

Talon, the thing that seems to pass you by is that ppl have asked for (either via forum rage or just plain nicely) and actually had changes made to the game .

Now admittedly , sometimes that works , and sometimes it does not .

But the point is ... -- well there are actually 3 points :

1) It does not hurt to ask for changes and it does not hurt to rage about it .

2) There are players who do not follow the Dev Blogs or the forums and have just now encountered the "blessings" of Season 9 .
    And since they have not done so previously , they NOW come to the forums to express their opinion (good and bad) .

3) You are welcome to your own opinions , but the way you are expressing them (telling ppl to "adapt" and "deal") is neither constructive nor helping anyone .

Thus you have the choice of either engage players in a more constructive manner , or make your own threads about the best way to "adept" to Season 9 (perhaps by offering suggestions to other places in game that players can make up for their lost Dil revenue because of the STF & other Dil nerfs that we just got) , or ... you can continue to "yell" at ppl to "adapt" and "deal" and see how far that gets you .
    Personally I think that that just makes you come off sounding obnoxious .

But the choice is yours .
  • Options
    malaki4malaki4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And you forgot to read the EULA/TOS which is quite common throughout MMOS. Ya know the catch all of PWE or any other game company for any other game can and will change this game how they see fit regardless of what you or I think.

Frankly this was a good move considering they are adding in the Udine, and possibly more rep grinds beyond that. What's that 20-30 40 50 buffs being tacked onto a character? Sorry that's just blatent power creep.

And right now it's 4 abilities for space and 4 for ground, but what's to say as time goes on that number isn't lifted to say 10.

Again you're merely throwing a temper tantrum and if you leave so what. Another sucker born every second in this game to take your place. You're simply letting your ego talk for you like you are SO important to PWE to keep you and others. Want walk fine.

What I tell players in EVERY single online game I play and I've played a few. Walked from a few also, guess what those companies DGAF. Nor will they.

Wake up and smell the coffee, PWE DOES NOT CARE. And guess what, they have enough people who agree with the change and like it, they can afford to lose the disenfranchised and still turn a proffit.

Cause guess who is more likely to spend money on the game? Vets who basically have everything, or a new player just starting out?

Simple game econimics. Again told ya before and I'll say it again. Get with the program or get out.

I completely agree with you and i'm glad you put this up (because i would have ended up doing an essay on this myself). I do feel sorry for those that have spent money on respec tokens for traits and everything because it was all a waste in this new update so i understand there frustration. However i believe that this trait change will be for the best in future updates of the game. Having all those reputation boosts was technically unrealistic in the long run as they added new reps.

Personally i prefer the change, switching traits for different ship builds etc will make me think more about what would benefit each ship. The New ESD is a huge improvement from the last, the newly updated Borg and Undine episodes are great. And the new feature episode was pretty cool. All in all i think there are a lot of improvements with Season 9.
  • Options
    jkaran2819jkaran2819 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is not a new type of complaint unique to this game. This is an inevitable complaint of every game that tries to better itself over time. I personally think the change in the rep system is great, and a much better system than it was. However, this brings out the people who spent all that time, effort and money dealing with the old system, and they can't stand that future people will be able to achieve the same thing much easier and cheaper.

You can sum up any complaint like this one in a single sentence: "I had to do it the sucky hard way, so everyone else should have to as well." If game designers followed this, games would never improve. They would never create a better game. Look, this system is a better system than the old system. You had to deal with a worse system. So the game should never try to improve? It is just doomed to stagnate in a bad system because "its not fair" the game got better and other people won't have to go through the same bad system? That is a selfish, self-centric attitude that would lead to the eventual downfall of any game that never bettered itself to not TRIBBLE off anyone who used an inferior system. That sir, would truly be unfair.
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Rep Trait revamp AIN"T THAT BAD... I am still able to murder things effortlessly in game. IMHO the Species Trait revamp more than makes up for the rep revamp.

However, I do agree, if Cryptic really wants to tackle power creep, they need to look at DoFFS, BoFFs to an extent, and limiting the number of Lobi/Uni Consoles on a ship.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    edited April 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »
    The Rep Trait revamp AIN"T THAT BAD... I am still able to murder things effortlessly in game. IMHO the Species Trait revamp more than makes up for the rep revamp.

However, I do agree, if Cryptic really wants to tackle power creep, they need to look at DoFFS, BoFFs to an extent, and limiting the number of Lobi/Uni Consoles on a ship.

See people this is calm and constructive critisim. And propbably quite true to boot. Least from my PoV.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You're comparing S9 to SWG's NGE? You're absolutely and totally way off base. The NGE took the core game of SWG into a completely different affair. It negated entire segments of gameplay, overly simplified the game, absolutely killed the once thriving player economy and community. The entire affair was an absolute downgrade of everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that the existing players signed up to play for.

You're welcome to list all the things NGE did and we'll see if we can find Cryptic's equivalent for it .
    It need not have happened in Season 9 , but for those who have been here longer , the nerfs just keep on piling one on top of the other ... , while we get grind content and endless remastering and tinkering .

This game has stopped moving forward a long time ago .
    The new FE is one tiny step in the right direction .
    Everything else is baloney .
    Even the last Expansion was nothing more then getting the Romulans to where they wanted to go prior to the game's launch .

And considering that in this game's future we still have the following "remastering" to look forward to :
    (Fed) Romulan arc .
    (KDF) Fek'hiri arc .
    (all) Cardassian/True Way arc

+ Skills , PVP , Crafting revamp -- this game will stand still for a long-long time , all because it's still 2010 at Cryptic and we're still in Beta .
  • Options
    rhodgherrhodgher Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Quote:
    It would seem that power creep is okay, so long as you pay them money for it....

No, that's not okay either, but one battle at a time.[/QUOTE]

Oops! So even when you pay money you may not become stronger (or to strong). That is what you mean do you? If so that is really worrying me.(And it should worry PWE to. Because why should a player spent money when it does not matter? Just to get some shiny bling bling or a fancy animation of laser fire..)

It means that some player can play 1000hrs a year and pay real money and still should be equal to some one who plays 100hrs a year and doesn't put money in to the game. That is what it is all about isn't it? Being equal.

Imaging a sportsman, one who runs marathons. He trains every day, has good footwear and wins all. He is told that from now he gets a 15 minute penalty every time he enters a marathon, because others, who train less, must have an equal chance to win. See that happening?

And please explain what that so called power creep has to do with PVE???

In PVP it could be a solution I agree. But a gated mission would be too. Making NPC's tougher would be nice too. (On the side I just did the undine battle zone and it was much to easy 3 or 4 nicors just popped without problems on my side and I am an average cruiser captain taking my Dyson Destroyer in to battle for the first time.)

In getting the impression that the phrase 'power creep' is used much to easily often to mask the fact that they can't or won't put that much effort into the game as others.

And then start talking about 'whining' when players who worked their buds off complain about losing the fruit of their work.
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have 5 rep maxed toons and I like the new system because I can change abilities out amongst all of them. Less than half of them are useful at a time anyway.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    jarazekjarazek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not sure what they screwed up, but half the time I cannot see my weapons firing, very annoying, I'll be glad when star citizen comes out, they have ruined this game!
  • Options
    agentkovalagentkoval Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And you forgot to read the EULA/TOS which is quite common throughout MMOS. Ya know the catch all of PWE or any other game company for any other game can and will change this game how they see fit regardless of what you or I think.

Frankly this was a good move considering they are adding in the Udine, and possibly more rep grinds beyond that. What's that 20-30 40 50 buffs being tacked onto a character? Sorry that's just blatent power creep.

And right now it's 4 abilities for space and 4 for ground, but what's to say as time goes on that number isn't lifted to say 10.

Again you're merely throwing a temper tantrum and if you leave so what. Another sucker born every second in this game to take your place. You're simply letting your ego talk for you like you are SO important to PWE to keep you and others. Want walk fine.

What I tell players in EVERY single online game I play and I've played a few. Walked from a few also, guess what those companies DGAF. Nor will they.

Wake up and smell the coffee, PWE DOES NOT CARE. And guess what, they have enough people who agree with the change and like it, they can afford to lose the disenfranchised and still turn a proffit.

Cause guess who is more likely to spend money on the game? Vets who basically have everything, or a new player just starting out?

Simple game econimics. Again told ya before and I'll say it again. Get with the program or get out.

I am not alone in this line of thinking; read the other fourms and comments in here. "A sucker born every minute" is a weak business model, and one that has in the past lead to the downfall of many businesses. It seams that lately STO is becoming weak though, which is the point of my comment of the first post- maybe it is time for it to die. They are not adapting to new player bases by adding the Undine, simply because the Undine were already in STO. All they did was release some half job STF's a single feature episode, and TAKE away episodes in the episode list. Adding the Romulan Republic was an addition... not this Undine stuff.

You think the 4 slots for space and ground are a good idea? there is NO customization involved, no forward thinking, no strategy.

Imperfect world does not care? Are you serious? Thats why they invest in a fourm, twitter account, facebook page, created a WHOLE tribble server, customer service center, billing center and hold video conferences and speak with players and use player suggestions to influence the game (remember the voyager vote for the new races to include?).

You are not the worlds leading authority on all things MMORPG or STO. You do not speak for everyone, you do not speak on behalf of the devs or imperfect world, just as I dont. I do however share a view that MANY people have about season 9, and in the past imperfect world has introduced content and then reversed that decision based on player input. All we are doing is asking them to consider what they are doing to the people who helped them get this game where it is today. Blowing us off as a group that is just throwing a temper tantrum like children only shows a deep misunderstanding or ignorance of the issue on your behalf.

You want another aphorism? The only thing that a company worries more about than making money is losing money.
  • Options
    neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, since they nerfed the rep and we're limited to use of only 4 rep traits, I think for people who grinded a metric **** ton of dil and marks should be refunded half of the dil required to complete all rep.

Thats right, refund us half the dil of a fully completed rep system.
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    agentkoval wrote: »
    I am not alone in this line of thinking; read the other fourms and comments in here. "A sucker born every minute" is a weak business model, and one that has in the past lead to the downfall of many businesses. It seams that lately STO is becoming weak though, which is the point of my comment of the first post- maybe it is time for it to die. They are not adapting to new player bases by adding the Undine, simply because the Undine were already in STO. All they did was release some half job STF's a single feature episode, and TAKE away episodes in the episode list. Adding the Romulan Republic was an addition... not this Undine stuff.

You think the 4 slots for space and ground are a good idea? there is NO customization involved, no forward thinking, no strategy.

Imperfect world does not care? Are you serious? Thats why they invest in a fourm, twitter account, facebook page, created a WHOLE tribble server, customer service center, billing center and hold video conferences and speak with players and use player suggestions to influence the game (remember the voyager vote for the new races to include?).

You are not the worlds leading authority on all things MMORPG or STO. You do not speak for everyone, you do not speak on behalf of the devs or imperfect world, just as I dont. I do however share a view that MANY people have about season 9, and in the past imperfect world has introduced content and then reversed that decision based on player input. All we are doing is asking them to consider what they are doing to the people who helped them get this game where it is today. Blowing us off as a group that is just throwing a temper tantrum like children only shows a deep misunderstanding or ignorance of the issue on your behalf.

You want another aphorism? The only thing that a company worries more about than making money is losing money.

And ya know what? I've seen far more praise for things they did RIGHT. Yeah the rep thing probably wasn't handled in the best way, but they did do something about power creep. Frankly I'm shocked they even did this.

Frankly PWE could shut this game down and it wouldn't hur them all that much. You do know this is one of what 7-8 games they got going right now ALL of them making money.

And push them far enough they could always pull what was done with City of Heros. They could just say "TRIBBLE it, don't like what we are doing, fine game over! You all get nothing, you all lose good day!"

Good rule of thumb, don't rock the boat, not when you're sitting in it. Offering constructive criticism and MEANINGFUL feedback is one thing. Venting your spleen, quite another.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    neppakyo wrote: »
    Well, since they nerfed the rep and we're limited to use of only 4 rep traits, I think for people who grinded a metric **** ton of dil and marks should be refunded half of the dil required to complete all rep.

Thats right, refund us half the dil of a fully completed rep system.
    Just to get the passives, you haven't needed to use dilithium. At least I didn't.

Gear, yes, but you get to keep the gear.
  • Options
    adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited April 2014

As long they are still be able to do so. Soon, that will be done for good, once they loose their EULA and be placed under simple warranty laws.
  • Options
    marcusblackwell7marcusblackwell7 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All I got out of that long drivel was "PWE took away my toys and I can't have fun my way! I am going to attempt to rile up everybody else like many others have done so I can have my toys back! Or I'm going to stamp my feelt and cry like a small child!"

Seriously grow up. My god they now force you to choose which abilities to have on. You actually have to put some forethought into how you want to do business. Which makes it more critical to how you build your charactres and guess what! YOU CAN CHANGE IT ON THE FLY!!

My god much to do about nothing and foricing players to make more tactical and strategic choices. And ofcourse people whine about it because it's no grind everything tailor 1 maybe 2 builds and rule them all.

Seriously grow up.
    I have seen you all over these post you are a well Paid King Troll I true troll .
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    As long they are still be able to do so. Soon, that will be done for good, once they loose their EULA and be placed under simple warranty laws.

Hey when that happens I'll be happy bout it. Till then we suffer with what we have now. I've simply accepted life at is now, not what it could possibly be.

Sorry Marine in me. "Facts on the ground". How I work and operate, facts as I have them now.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This has nothing on the NGE, that made SWG largely unplayable for years and was its eventual ruin after many years of the game surviving with a small player base and dev team.