Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #13: The ReDesign of ESD

Comments

• Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    haeds wrote: »
    I'd disagree. The old one had the issue of extremely bad scaling (seriously, it was proooobably 1/100th too small for the area it supposedly covered). Its layout wasn't functional, either, as you had to run around in a giant circle or change maps twice to get to anything. Everything in it also looked really, really plasticy.

None of these are the case in the new version, which despite being Star Trek-y, actually looks somewhat real.

And I think signs of life, however many players roaming about, will make it look even more realistic.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    I really think you hit it out of the park with the ESD redesign.

It is FAR MORE Trek-like; modern and well laid out and with signage! REAL SIGNAGE!

The shuttle bay adds a whole new level of realism.

The touches of detail (and you have to say, completely rock) really raises the bar.

The Hospital LOOKS LIKE a federation hospital.

The Exchange LOOKS LIKE an exchange.

The Bank LOOKS LIKE A BANK.

MAIL terminals... THEY LOOK LIKE LIKE MAIL TERMINALS!

job well done.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014

It is FAR MORE Trek-like; modern and well laid out and with signage! REAL SIGNAGE!

The touches of detail (and you have to say, completely rock) really raises the bar.

job well done.

All of this.

Only thing it needs is Mods on standby to mute the entire zone if political debates start to be an issue...
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    All of this.

Only thing it needs is Mods on standby to mute the entire zone if political debates start to be an issue...

If we can involve an explosive decompression mechanic to help clear that all out then I'd say that definitely requires some special attention. Otherwise, hey it's public chat. What do you expect?
    And I think signs of life, however many players roaming about, will make it look even more realistic.

What I think is most "realistic" about it though is that, like a real piece of good architecture, it's a space where you actually want to be. In addition to it being a good functional update, its a good piece of aesthetic design according to some pretty basic and far-ranging principles.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If we can involve an explosive decompression mechanic to help clear that all out then I'd say that definitely requires some special attention. Otherwise, hey it's public chat. What do you expect?

What I think is most "realistic" about it though is that, like a real piece of good architecture, it's a space where you actually want to be. In addition to it being a good functional update, its a good piece of aesthetic design according to some pretty basic and far-ranging principles.

I agree, its not just more practical , but its actually a really nice space to be in, if it were real i'd have no trouble sitting down in one of those comfy looking benches for a good long while
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    I agree, its not just more practical , but its actually a really nice space to be in, if it were real i'd have no trouble sitting down in one of those comfy looking benches for a good long while

Interestingly enough, tacofangs shared the floor plans, earlier, of both old and new ESD. Seems the latter doesn't use up the entire circle, as it were: large sections to the left are completely empty/unused (room for a club, maybe?).

Not that I mind, mind you; just a friendly observation. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    large sections to the left are completely empty/unused (room for a club, maybe?).

We already know exactly where the club is going. The door/entry way for the club is in that spiral ramp area to the right of the transporter room.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, tacofangs shared the floor plans, earlier, of both old and new ESD. Seems the latter doesn't use up the entire circle, as it were: large sections to the left are completely empty/unused (room for a club, maybe?).

Not that I mind, mind you; just a friendly observation. :)

I still hope that theres room set aside for possible expansions in future.

I'd like to think that the map could if needs be have more added to it, nothing uneccessary, but if there were a new thing to be added, I'd hope they could add it the map somehow
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    unclereekyunclereeky Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Since the inception of STO, I've been using the Nvidia GeForce GTX 430. Will this still be plenty
    Of video card for all that's available for us to play? If it's an issue of RAM, I can upgrade there too.
    I need a reason to give my wife to go out and buy the Nvidia GeForce GTX 760...lol...:)
  • Options
    juliamateusjuliamateus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

job well done.

The oranges taste like oranges!

The STRAWBERRIES taste like STRAWBERRIES!

THE SNOZZBERRIES TASTE LIKE SNOZZBERRIES!

Looking forward to it :D
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    unclereeky wrote: »
    Since the inception of STO, I've been using the Nvidia GeForce GTX 430. Will this still be plenty
    Of video card for all that's available for us to play? If it's an issue of RAM, I can upgrade there too.
    I need a reason to give my wife to go out and buy the Nvidia GeForce GTX 760...lol...:)

Oh, well, in that case. . .

No, the 430 will be FAR too slow, and you'll need a lot more memory too. And maybe a new belt sander!

You can trust me. I'm a taco.*

*You probably shouldn't trust tacos, or anyone that says "You can trust me."
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    unclereeky wrote: »

you need this http://www.choosemypc.net/

set to $1000, it built me this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hkGA, though there were more rebates befor

SOOOO happy wit the result, it made sto and everything else a whole new game. last comp was built going on 9 years ago, with only maxed ram and a graphics card update 4 years ago
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Oh, well, in that case. . .

No, the 430 will be FAR too slow, and you'll need a lot more memory too. And maybe a new belt sander!

You can trust me. I'm a taco.*

*You probably shouldn't trust tacos, or anyone that says "You can trust me."

You're so f*cking hilarious, Tacofangs...

I can't WAIT to see your Jenolan Sphere map in action!
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey Worffan! Important!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Hey Worffan! Important!

Hey, organicmanfred!

Yeah, I was on a trip for 2 days. Sick as a dog, too, which really sucked (for me and for everyone else) on two separate 6-hour flights.

But it was that or...well, bad things IRL. So I had to suck it up and bear the sniffles.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Hey, organicmanfred!

Yeah, I was on a trip for 2 days. Sick as a dog, too, which really sucked (for me and for everyone else) on two separate 6-hour flights.

But it was that or...well, bad things IRL. So I had to suck it up and bear the sniffles.

I just wanted to say: Frohe Ostern :o

Get well my dea.. ahm lov.. No I mean friend
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I just wanted to say: Frohe Ostern :o

Get well my dea.. ahm lov.. No I mean friend

Thanks! :o

I should be better by Wednesday, if I'm lucky. If not, coughing up gunk for 2 weeks. :(
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    :::points at the private message area of the forums:::
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited April 2014

*hands him a laser pointer so he can show people where it is, as he as always found it remarkably difficult to locate*

Honestly, with how the PM system works on these forums, I'd be surprised if 10% of the people on the forums know how to find it. And even then, it's a touch hard to use, too.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yessir.

Also, if you keep up your current level of awesome art?

I am at your service as a...facilitator...to help you...dispose of...Gecko so that you can become lead dev. Which would be better for everyone except Gecko.

Hail Ba'al! :D
    icegavel wrote: »
    *hands him a laser pointer so he can show people where it is, as he as always found it remarkably difficult to locate*

Honestly, with how the PM system works on these forums, I'd be surprised if 10% of the people on the forums know how to find it. And even then, it's a touch hard to use, too.

Yeah, I'd like a better forum PM system too. The only part of Forums 2.0 that is still here, and the only part that I don't like.

Seriously, it's really hard to plan collaborative fanfics with the current system; I keep hitting my PM cap. :(
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    icegavel wrote: »

I found it in 2 seconds, it is right above the log out button

Now, if someone can tell me how to change my timezone one these forums, that would be nice
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    I found it in 2 seconds, it is right above the log out button

Now, if someone can tell me how to change my timezone one these forums, that would be nice

Ironically, I had to PM Bran to ask that question a long time back. The page to change that setting isn't actually accessible from our user control panel, even with the updates to the site they never added it in.

Luckily, I saved the link Bran sent me back then, the time settings are near the bottom of the page.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/profile.php?do=editoptions
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    loyalwatcherloyalwatcher Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    New ESD is awesome.

Brilliant work by all involved :)
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Never mind... opened a new thread with this comment. ;)
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    LOL Not quite. Peter worked on wrecking up Old ESD while I was working on the early preproduction for New ESD. I didn't hear any maniacal laughter though.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    LOL Not quite. Peter worked on wrecking up Old ESD while I was working on the early preproduction for New ESD. I didn't hear any maniacal laughter though.

Tacofangs!

I wasn't able to see you in-game because your zone was full, but I wanted you to know that the new ESD is a masterpiece.

I mean, I got distracted and spent like 30 minutes just wandering around in there...

That thing's your Mahler 9. Perfection of graphic design, like Mahler 9 is perfection of music.

The new FE is incredible, and all the art for this season is off the charts.

You should definitely be lead dev. Whatever Gecko can do, it doesn't hold a candle to your work.

I'm still high on glee and awe.
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Taco, I found your "Corpse Chute" easter egg. Shame on you.
  • Options
    dammitjimdammitjim Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The new Spacedock looks really amazing! I also enjoyed reading about how it was developed. I got the feeling that you guys are really concerned about players needs and it's a pleasure for you working on improvements :)
    I think it looks pretty and it is functional. I've been playing for a few months now and I always got lost in the old ESD. It was also quite a long way to run to the Exchange, then to the Bank. And as far as I am aware there was only one place for E-mail consoles, in the Bank section. So putting them together, adding consoles all over the place - this is great.
    There is just one slight thing. I got with the turbolift to the corridor deck (47 mezzosopran or something?) above. I jumped down on the glass roof and found there some people stuck! We couldn't get on this corridor again, although we jumped, but there is this, let's call it, forcefield, that prevents going any further. I just beamed back to my ship and then again to ESD, but those stuck there had their beam up button inactive so they had to completely log off in order to unstuck themselves.
    Signature_01.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I don't understand. What did you jump onto?
  • Options
    jhighfilljhighfill Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Any plans to account for our space on ESD on the model outside?