test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

SERVER NOT RESPONDING(SnR) & DISCONNECTS(DC)

There appears to be a few threads on this already and the mods have been good enough to move them to the correct section but do not appear to have combined them to one thread:

Since last Thursday there as been an abnormal amount of disconnects these may or may not all be linked and there are people within each of these threads that have responded.

I have stated that I do not believe this is a cryptic issue, and that there is merely something wrong along the route to the cryptic game server. I have been successful in using the EU proxy(I'm based in UK) to connect without SnRs and DCs. I am in fact starting to think this is a problem with Virgin Media in the UK only, even though there are reports of the same problems in different areas, I suspect they are isolated from this but just have the same symptoms, but I am no expert.
NotAQuote wrote:
tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.belkin [192.168.2.1]
2 29 ms 42 ms 41 ms cpc3-cdif14-2-0-gw.5-1.cable.virginm.net [81.106.***.***]
3 6 ms 7 ms 7 ms cdif-core-2a-ae6-644.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.34.113]
4 10 ms 20 ms 10 ms brhm-bb-1b-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.81]
5 58 ms 49 ms 75 ms teln-ic-1-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.163.250]
6 14 ms 16 ms 13 ms m282-mp2.cvx3-a.ltn.dial.ntli.net [213.104.85.26]
7 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms be2315.ccr22.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.73.109]
8 89 ms 87 ms 87 ms be2389.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.44.181]
9 87 ms 87 ms 87 ms te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.254]
10 91 ms 88 ms 89 ms 38.111.40.114
11 89 ms 89 ms 87 ms patchserver2.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

Trace complete.

contacting nettest server..
Local IP: 81.106.***.***
Ping: 90.9 msec
Port: 80: 761 KB/sec 26 KB/sec 804 KB/sec 500

My workaround: This might not work for all these cases but it has apparently helped in some cases
I'm not sure if this problem is still happening, but i changed my launcher settings to use the EU gameplay proxy as a workaround.

It appears to be working.

If you decide to try this, you'll need to:

1) Open launcher.
2) Go to options at top of launcher.
3) Scroll all the way to the bottom.
4) Change 'Gameplay proxy' to EU (or your closest option).
5) Save.
6) Close launcher.
7) Reopen launcher and carry on as normal.

server not responding...again? 03-24-2014
xraiderv1 wrote: »
soo..since last night at 3am I've been seeing periodic server not responding messages flashing on my screen, and am wondering if the servers arent fixing to get a tribble infestation again..aka crash.

SnR's and disconnects 04-04-2014
sqwished wrote: »
I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a rather abnormal amount of SnR's and random disconnects since yesterdays patch.

Random Disconnects From STO and Twitch 04-08-2014
I've been having some odd disconnect issues lately where I get disconnected from STO, and at exactly the same moment OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is no longer able to connect to Twitch.tv, which kills my stream.

When this starts happening, I open WinMTR and set it to accounts.crypticstudios.com which appears to resolve to 208.95.185.165, and while the issue is still happening I see the last two hops on the list are unreachable. I picked this hostname specifically because it is what TCPView said the game was trying to connect to (automatic hostname resolution, since all TCPView can see is the IP address). Here's my MTR log:

-- (Of course the forums wouldn't have a CODE tag, so here's a link to the log at Pastebin...)

The first unreachable address is perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net, which I cannot ping from the Command Prompt (although WinMTR can ping it) due to a hostname resolution error. WinMTR says the IP address is 216.52.61.78 when I double-click on the hostname, which most likely means that WinMTR found an alias for that IP address that my DNS isn't recognizing.

Regardless, I find it rather odd that my Twitch stream also disconnects when this happens, since I am streaming to the server in Chicago (or at least that's what OBS is set for). According to what I am seeing, the IP address 216.52.61.78 is for a server/router/switch/whatever in Boston.

Unfortunately I cannot get a proper traceroute or MTR log for the Twitch server I stream to, since it and an unknown number of servers in between it and me are not responding to ICMP requests (which basically means my WinMTR window is full of "No response from host" messages). The last hop on the list before that happens is xe-7-3-0.edge4.Chicago3.Level3.net which WinMTR says is at 4.53.98.45, and interestingly enough this server/router/switch/whatever is not on the list above from the traceroute on accounts.crypticstudios.com, so I am even more confused as to why both of them are dying at the exact same time.

Whenever it happens I start checking my Internet connection just to be sure that I can get out to other sites. Technically the MTR log proves that the Internet connection is still functioning since it can ping every server up to the switch/router/whatever the login server is connected to, but I still get paranoid when stuff stops working.

Now that I've written a blasted book for everyone to read, does anyone know what is going on? I know they had some downtime recently (last week?), and I think the issues developed after that.

EVERY 4- 6 sec. "Server not Responding" for 1 sec --- (in-Game Problem only) 04-10-2014
preiko wrote: »
Hallo everybody,

on Friday, the 4th of April

i updated my System Windows XP --> Windows 8.1

As you guys know Windows 8.1 does not support STO,
you need to enable the "compatibility mode" and choose an older Windows.

After i did that the Launcher started,
---> no problems
i entered my password and waited
---> no problems
the launcher window closed and the STO window opend
----> error --> RunIn32BitorDie

But the Game started anyway

the Game Started, Loading Screens appeared
---> no problems

Got into my "Character menu"
---> no problems

Logged in, then loading Screen + patching data
---> no problems, steady and good download rate

In the Game,
--> no grafic issues
--> no sound issues
--> no chat problems

--> but EVERY 4- 6 seconds "Server not Responding" appears (for 1 or 2 seconds)

The Game looks good i can move
but everything around me is laaging /other players stand still, then they jump to another location, it is like a timefreeze

The menus in the Game show are the same
*click* ... wait ... wait ... wait ... "action ... *click* ... wait ... wait ... wait ... "action"

BUT when i switch sectors or zones and i got a "patching Files" download, it works perfectly steady and fast

the duty officer window / exchanges are the same
*click* ... wait ... wait ... wait ... "action ... *click* ... wait ... wait ... wait ... "action"

the First thing i did was a complete re-install of the game, but it didn´t changed anything
i changed all possible options to the lowest performances

maybe you can help me

15 Disconnects from Server Tonight 04-11-14
stongbads wrote: »
I think I'll need to leave the game again. How can you expect for us to play when I had the pleasure to enjoy 15 disconnects from your server tonight?
SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
Post edited by ukcaptain420 on

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Erm Windows 8.1 does support sto I run it on two machines with 8.1 so dunno where that came from
    JtaDmwW.png
  • ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Erm Windows 8.1 does support sto I run it on two machines with 8.1 so dunno where that came from

no idea, just quoting, perhaps it isn't 'supported' as in cryptic are unable to advise on it, but alas still works. and i suspect his problem is actually related to this network problem, nothing to do with the change to windows 8.1, just coincidence that they upgraded the same day this started happening for some of us.
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • daniel672daniel672 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am haveing this same trouble.
  • keihamkeiham Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm on VM and using the proxies does nothing to clear up the issue that you have pointed out started on 3/4/2014. Running trace routes and net tests reveal nothing

What I will say is this looks more likely an internal issue with cryptic, as I can sit there watching my SnR's and continue to chat away in all STO/NW/CO up until it decides IF it wants to DC me back to the character selection.

So for me, this one is back to Cryptic to look into :(
  • shireknightshireknight Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am in fact starting to think this is a problem with Virgin Media in the UK only,

Oh thank goodness someone knows about this, I've been having this problem on and off ever since I found the game in January (though this last week has been much, much worse than normal) and I'd just come here to report it as I'm just about at the end of my tether over it.

It is definitely 100% a problem with Virgin Media, I know because my Sky broadband connection was left live when I moved to Virgin and if I disconnect from Virgin and switch to Sky the disconnections end immediately.

I'm not very technical so I have no idea what could be causing it but I've done the basic things like reset the cable box. The odd thing is some days I can play for 7-8 hours stright without a single disconnect and yet other days be disconnected pretty much every few mins, the problem mainly seems to strike me when the game is loading new info say when I warp into a new sector or just going to start a patrol mission etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    I am with Virgin Media and this issue has only! been a problem since last Thursdays patch, so i fail to see how this is an issue with my ISP.

But i will be calling them tomorrow to check as STO is the only MMO/Game i have any issues with atm.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • neridiumneridium Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm with Virgin and i've been having the same problems.
    edited April 2014
    keiham wrote: »
    ...I can sit there watching my SnR's and continue to chat away in all STO/NW/CO up until it decides IF it wants to DC me back to the character selection...(

As far as I understand the chat works on a different protocol from the game server, the same can be said of the patching server. Ever been on game when the chat failed but the game continued to work.
    I am with Virgin Media and this issue has only! been a problem since last Thursdays patch, so i fail to see how this is an issue with my ISP.

But i will be calling them tomorrow to check as STO is the only MMO/Game i have any issues with atm.

I'm not sure which post I said it in, but I've been starting to suspect it's only affecting VM customers, and perhaps some other ISPs, but it seems to be mostly VM. It could just be coincidence that it started happening around the time of the patch. I was on that day and it only started in the early hours of the next morning for me, about 8 hours after the patch. Now I admit, that I could of just had a lucky 8 hours of uninterrupted play, but after reading all the threads I've linked, be it a Cryptic issue, be it a VM issue or be it an issue in between, I can only surmise that, this is a problem that is mostly affecting VM customers.

I suspect the problem isn't actually VM's, I believe it's somewhere else along the line, but has to do with VM routing. again though, I'm no expert.
  • stargazer99999stargazer99999 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i am having big connectivity problems with sto as wel as of a few days even trying to get the game to launch is a nightmare.
    but the biggest dis apointment was that u got disconected during the mirror event and could not log in til th efight was over and u had to wait another hour to try again.
    edited April 2014

Spoke to my ISP today and they informed me its nothing my end.... so.......
    JtaDmwW.png
    edited April 2014
    i am having big connectivity problems with sto as wel as of a few days even trying to get the game to launch is a nightmare.
    but the biggest dis apointment was that u got disconected during the mirror event and could not log in til th efight was over and u had to wait another hour to try again.

Who is your ISP? Forgive me if I'm wrong though, you're having problems connecting in the first place, which sounds like it may be a different issue again, similar symptoms, but a different issue I suspect.
    Spoke to my ISP today and they informed me its nothing my end.... so.......

So.... I don't know, as I said I'm no expert, just seems to reinforce my theory the problem is along the route some where.

People continue to report they are having the same issue and that their ISP is VM.

Still hoping the devs can offer some advice.
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I wonder if this is part of what I'm having right now as well (also based in the UK). Since the Thursday patch, I've noticed my character tends to sometimes stop in place when running or even be pushed back a step or so by an invisible force.

Also happens at times in space, like the game is rewinding itself (or rather, me).

Again, I've only had this since yesterdays patch.
    edited April 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    I wonder if this is part of what I'm having right now as well (also based in the UK). Since the Thursday patch, I've noticed my character tends to sometimes stop in place when running or even be pushed back a step or so by an invisible force.

Also happens at times in space, like the game is rewinding itself (or rather, me).

Again, I've only had this since yesterdays patch.

The problem we're describing has been going on since last Thursdays patch. it may be related.
  • halgaladhalgalad Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've had long standing issues attempting to simply open the game, support thinks it could be an issue with my ISP which is also Virgin Media UK.

I'm yet to find a solution which allows me to login to the game after late morning. From then onwards, I cannot even get the launcher to hit "engage"...
    =/\= =========================== =/\=
    Ensign Thandion, Engineering, Eta Squadron.
    Current Location: Stuck in a Jefferies tube.
    Current Assignment: Repairing an ODN relay...
    12th Fleet, United Federation Of Planets.
  • stongbadsstongbads Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I for one wish Cryptic would find a solution which will allow all their customers who are being crippled by those deadbeats at Cogent to enjoy STO again.
  • bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Keep getting disconnection for every 5 mins or so.:mad:
  • captainpurplecaptainpurple Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Same here. Been having this problem since last Thursday. Getting "server not responding" every few seconds or every minute and it lasts for just a few seconds. I don't lose connection, but it's causing unplayable latency. Lots of rubberbanding, rewinding, and UI freezing. Pathping has revealed high latency starting in Nashville, TN and onward through the rest of the hops. I have Comcast in Kentucky, and the Nashville hub is notoriously terrible on Comcast's network. I'm getting 155ms-200ms latency on just this one pathping with an average of 5% packetloss starting with the Nashville hop all the way to the patch server.

And my traceroute was showing timeouts in Marietta, GA (Atlanta), which is where Comcast hands off to Cogent who is also known for their crappiness. I wasn't having any problems until last week. I don't know if it was storms, a node that is broken, bad DNS server or what. But as usual the game is now unplayable and none of the ISP's will do squat to fix it.

So anyway, that's my two EC. I guess when Season 9 goes live and I get locked out of the game for a month again (like I was in Season 8), then perhaps that will give them time to (maybe) fix their problems so when I can play again I won't have latency issues.
    free jkname
    bergins wrote:
    "General Server Stability" means they are bolting the servers to the floor, right? Wouldn't you be upset if Branflakes were to go stumbling into the server room, knock a rack over, and bring the game down for a DAY? SO, they aren't scrwing it up, they are bolting it down.
    edited April 2014
    stongbads wrote: »
    I for one wish Cryptic would find a solution which will allow all their customers who are being crippled by those deadbeats at Cogent to enjoy STO again.
    Same here. Been having this problem since last Thursday. Getting "server not responding" every few seconds or every minute and it lasts for just a few seconds. I don't lose connection, but it's causing unplayable latency. Lots of rubberbanding, rewinding, and UI freezing. Pathping has revealed high latency starting in Nashville, TN and onward through the rest of the hops. I have Comcast in Kentucky, and the Nashville hub is notoriously terrible on Comcast's network. I'm getting 155ms-200ms latency on just this one pathping with an average of 5% packetloss starting with the Nashville hop all the way to the patch server.

And my traceroute was showing timeouts in Marietta, GA (Atlanta), which is where Comcast hands off to Cogent who is also known for their crappiness. I wasn't having any problems until last week. I don't know if it was storms, a node that is broken, bad DNS server or what. But as usual the game is now unplayable and none of the ISP's will do squat to fix it.

So anyway, that's my two EC. I guess when Season 9 goes live and I get locked out of the game for a month again (like I was in Season 8), then perhaps that will give them time to (maybe) fix their problems so when I can play again I won't have latency issues.

Cogent, I read something about these guys the other day they are a bandwidth supplier right? Not an ISP per s
    edited April 2014
    As far as I understand the chat works on a different protocol from the game server, the same can be said of the patching server. Ever been on game when the chat failed but the game continued to work.

Without knowing the full infrastructure, I can't say either how Cryptic games are set up, but as I mentioned before when I was finally being disconnected, it was taking me back to the character select screen instead of the login screen as I would normally expect, and this is why I felt it was an internal routing issue they were having.

But since making my posting, I've not had anymore SnR's or disconnections, so sorry for not saying so sooner :)
    edited April 2014
    Cogent, I read something about these guys the other day they are a bandwidth supplier right? Not an ISP per s
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have been having the same issues set out here. I am also with virgin Media in the UK.

However, in my experience there is something different about these disconnects. Normally, when I have had connection problems with STO, it disconnects after 10-20 seconds.

This time however, I am often stuck in the game for minutes on end, unable to do anything, even log out. This is most often the case when switching zones, and I can be stuck on the load screen for up to 10 minutes, with no 'server not responding message'. I'm in STO at the moment and game is stuck on this...

I am also not wholly convinced it is solely an ISP issue (given the timing of this issue arising after last patch), as well as the fact my brother who also plays STO was able to keep playing (with no issues) on our laptop whilst I was having these issues. We even tried logging on both at the same time on same PC - STO continued to work fine for him, but I continued to have issues. If it were solely an ISP issue I would assume that BOTH of us would have had the problem.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • halgaladhalgalad Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is anyone else able to replicate these results?

In a trace route I did for support, I think I had issues in that area:

1 42 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms pete-bam-1.network.virginmedia.net [194.145.148.
    98]
    3 26 ms 25 ms 26 ms pete-core-2a-xe-130-2.network.virginmedia.net [8
    2.0.242.109]
    4 29 ms 30 ms 29 ms nrth-bb-1b-ae15-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.25
    3.175.138]
    5 30 ms 31 ms 31 ms tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
    174.18]
    6 31 ms 31 ms 35 ms be3000.ccr21.lon02.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.1
    4.141]
    7 34 ms 33 ms 34 ms be2328.ccr21.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.4
    9.85]
    8 34 ms 34 ms 32 ms be2317.mpd22.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.73
    .177]
    9 107 ms 107 ms 108 ms be2389.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.44
    .181]
    10 300 ms 217 ms 222 ms te4-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.42
    ]
    11 107 ms 107 ms 106 ms 38.111.40.114
    12 107 ms 107 ms 107 ms patchserver2.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

Trace complete.

Also with a pathping:

0 DESKTOP [192.168.0.9]
    1 192.168.0.1
    2 pete-bam-1.network.virginmedia.net [194.145.148.98]
    3 pete-core-2a-xe-130-2.network.virginmedia.net [82.0.242.109]
    4 nrth-bb-1b-ae15-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.175.138]
    5 tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.18]
    6 be3000.ccr21.lon02.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.14.141]
    7 be2329.ccr22.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.49.89]
    8 be2315.ccr22.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.73.109]
    9 be2389.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.44.181]
    10 te4-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.42]
    11 38.111.40.114
    12 patchserver2.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

Computing statistics for 300 seconds...
    Source to Here This Node/Link
    Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
    0 DESKTOP [192.168.0.9]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    1 0ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 192.168.0.1
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    2 26ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% pete-bam-1.network.virginmedia.net
    [194.145.148.98]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    3 27ms 1/ 100 = 1% 1/ 100 = 1% pete-core-2a-xe-130-2.network.virg
    inmedia.net [82.0.242.109]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    4 33ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% nrth-bb-1b-ae15-0.network.virginme
    dia.net [62.253.175.138]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    5 34ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedi
    a.net [62.253.174.18]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    6 32ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% be3000.ccr21.lon02.atlas.cogentco.
    com [130.117.14.141]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    7 34ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% be2329.ccr22.lon01.atlas.cogentco.
    com [130.117.49.89]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    8 35ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% be2315.ccr22.lon13.atlas.cogentco.
    com [154.54.73.109]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    9 108ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% be2389.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.
    com [154.54.44.181]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    10 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% te4-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.c
    om [66.28.4.42]

0/ 100 = 0% |
    11 110ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 38.111.40.114
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    12 103ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% patchserver2.crypticstudios.com [2
    08.95.185.41]

Trace complete.

I don't know enough about such things to be able to draw my own conclusions though!
    =/\= =========================== =/\=
    Ensign Thandion, Engineering, Eta Squadron.
    Current Location: Stuck in a Jefferies tube.
    Current Assignment: Repairing an ODN relay...
    12th Fleet, United Federation Of Planets.
    edited April 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of our problems have something to do with last Thursday's patch. I had originally assumed that part of the issue was from the volume of people logged into Tribble who are testing/playing for Season 9 (always seems to affect Holodeck when a huge volume of people are on Tribble). And also with the Academy events there's a large increase of traffic on Holodeck. Cryptic usually underestimates participation or their servers never seem up to the task of handling sudden spikes in user activity (although in their defense this is pretty typical of most MMO games) so I had initially thought that was the problem.

However, my normal ping to my Ventrilo server is 50ms and I was getting spikes from 1500-5500ms on it. So it's not just STO. It's the internet and possibly internal STO issues together. My Ventrilo server is also hosted in Atlanta (yep, the Cogent thing again) so even though the company that I rent my server from is not Cogent, if they're having problems in the area it will affect my server. In addition to that, my friends on my server with me weren't having any issues with it - it was just me. So I'm back to thinking it's Comcast. Again.

That being said, I had no issues with STO until last Thursday's (April 3rd) patch. Coincidence? Possibly. But either way, until it's resolved the game is nearly unplayable for me. Best I was able to do last night was sit in sector space and chat with a fleet mate while watching the "server not responding" pop up every 10-30 seconds and delayed motion without the "server not responding" error even showing up. I'd get delays when pushing Enter to post my chat to the chat window before it would show up, with and without SNR. I ended up logging off because if I can't even be parked without moving and just chat to the fleet without latency issues and SNR popping up every several seconds, then there's no point to me being on. I'm sitting out the Junior Officer Appreciation event because of this. I claimed my free doff's for the toons I'm missing them on (minus the Romulan specific doff which we'll have to wait until next year to get) and then that was it for me.
    free jkname
    bergins wrote:
    "General Server Stability" means they are bolting the servers to the floor, right? Wouldn't you be upset if Branflakes were to go stumbling into the server room, knock a rack over, and bring the game down for a DAY? SO, they aren't scrwing it up, they are bolting it down.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of our problems have something to do with last Thursday's patch. I had originally assumed that part of the issue was from the volume of people logged into Tribble who are testing/playing for Season 9 (always seems to affect Holodeck when a huge volume of people are on Tribble). And also with the Academy events there's a large increase of traffic on Holodeck. Cryptic usually underestimates participation or their servers never seem up to the task of handling sudden spikes in user activity (although in their defense this is pretty typical of most MMO games) so I had initially thought that was the problem.....

If it was a problem with the patch, then you would expect everyone who received the patch to have the same issue... And this doesn't appear to be the case.
    edited April 2014
    If it was a problem with the patch, then you would expect everyone who received the patch to have the same issue... And this doesn't appear to be the case.
    This is true, but also we had that lockout problem with Season 8 that only affected a small amount of the user base. But I am leaning more toward internet issues more than the patch. I really think it was just coincidence that it occured the same time Cryptic patched on Thursday. There were storms occuring in the eastern US around that time which can damage nodes or other network infrastructure. And a STO patch won't cause my Ventrilo server ping to spike like it was.
    keiham wrote: »
    You can monitor bandwidth with http://www.internetpulse.net/

And there was some high bandwidth issues with Cogent and Level3 last week.

http://www.internethealthreport.com/
    Here's another link to the same site. Looking at it this morning, I see there's a fair bit of packetloss occuring on the internet.
    free jkname
    bergins wrote:
    edited April 2014
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    ...I am also not wholly convinced it is solely an ISP issue (given the timing of this issue arising after last patch), as well as the fact my brother who also plays STO was able to keep playing (with no issues) on our laptop whilst I was having these issues. We even tried logging on both at the same time on same PC - STO continued to work fine for him, but I continued to have issues. If it were solely an ISP issue I would assume that BOTH of us would have had the problem.

^^This intrigues me^^

Obvious questions but i'm gonna ask anyway.

Were you both connected via the same network? If you're both on the same network(which i assume you are), then I really don't understand what is going on. The fact it works fine for one of you but not the other, regardless of machine suggests it's a user account problem. Maybe this is an isolated incident, if not, then a definite eye opener.
    edited April 2014
    I switched back to the normal settings yesterday and since then have had no more SnR or Disconnects

It looks like what ever was causing my issues is now resolved.

Although ironically, today I'm having network issues, that are either my internal network or my isp, as my whole internet is cutting out. Frustrating, no?
  • altair1193altair1193 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    my hole internet goes like this i cant open any browsers or anything.
    Regardless, I find it rather odd that my Twitch stream also disconnects when this happens, since I am streaming to the server in Chicago (or at least that's what OBS is set for). According to what I am seeing, the IP address 216.52.61.78 is for a server/router/switch/whatever in Boston.
  • lawlolollawlolol Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Another VM user here. but looking at this tracert, its hard to blame vm for the problem.

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]
    2 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.93.24.1
    3 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms haye-core-2b-xe-132-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.3.177.97]
    4 15 ms 12 ms 12 ms brhm-bb-1c-ae11-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.185]
    5 12 ms 18 ms 14 ms brhm-bb-2a-ae3-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.109]
    6 13 ms 16 ms 11 ms brhm-bb-1b-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.106]
    7 66 ms 17 ms 20 ms teln-ic-1-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.163.250]
    8 18 ms 17 ms 18 ms m282-mp2.cvx3-a.ltn.dial.ntli.net [213.104.85.26]
    9 17 ms 17 ms 18 ms be2317.mpd22.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.73.177]
    10 89 ms 92 ms 90 ms be2391.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.44.237]
    11 280 ms 235 ms 225 ms te3-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.46.130]
    12 97 ms 89 ms 90 ms 38.111.40.114
    13 89 ms 89 ms 88 ms patchserver2.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

Trace complete.

ive bolded the uber lag hop. dosent seem to indicate vm is the problem, at least the part they are in control of. shame really, at least if it was in the uk i could shout at my provider. it should be noted that this was taken at about 11.45 pm uk time. VM users, please post somthing on the vm forums. if we dont clue them into it, theyll take years to fix it, if it is to do with them. you know how they are. ive posted somthing in the gaming forums, maybe itll be noticed.
  • altair1193altair1193 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    just a quick question is all this happening to anyone in the UK on sky ?