test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO login server went kaput

As soon as I was about to do First Contact Day, poof, I get kicked out of game.
Tried to log back in, the game can't connect to login server.
Seriously? Again?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ...huh, I got in. Maybe it was a hiccup?
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am having this same problem right now. I also have YouTube going, so I know the internet is working.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • morden613morden613 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hello there Prime Minister Purrchill. ;)

Seems to be up now. Must have been some kinda hiccup.

**I also facepalm when I read stuff like this:

YouTube isn't the entire Internet, though. Just because you can go to one site doesn't mean you can go to all of them. YouTube has caching servers all around the world and there's probably one located very close to you so yes, you can probably watch video very quickly. PWE/Cryptic/Star Trek Online is located somewhere else. Your connection 'routes' through different servers, depending on where you're going.
  • vonwraithvonwraith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mine just took a dump. :D nvm, it just had gas
  • jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    its unstable.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hamster dead? Cannot connect to login server, it timed out
    edited April 2014
    tried 4 times, got in on the 5th
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lindaleff wrote: »
    I am having this same problem right now. I also have YouTube going, so I know the internet is working.
    I get so frustrated when I see people say things like this...

The internet is not a single road. It is a trillion roads running in a trillion different directions. Your ISP might take 15 roads to get to YouTube and take 21 completely entirely different roads to get to Cryptic's Server. On any one of those 36 roads there could be a problem which causes you to disconnect or never connect at all.

Every destination's roads are different depending on your ISP. The route you take to get to YouTube could be entirely different the the route my ISP takes. The big outage a week or so ago was not a Server outage, it was a Network outage as whole areas roads were being blocked from reaching Cryptic's Servers. It had nothing to do with Cryptic.

That is not to say the Server is not down, only that just because 1 works does not mean they must all work. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • archerfanaticarcherfanatic Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    such a POS game. always going down like a street walker.
    edited April 2014
    interestin

don't log out to switch characters
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    morden613 wrote: »
    As soon as I was about to do First Contact Day, poof, I get kicked out of game.
    Tried to log back in, the game can't connect to login server.
    Seriously? Again?

Same here. :(
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • birdforcebirdforce Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Happened to me too.. When ever I get d/c in the game its always during loading screens.

Edit:
    And it just happened again.. During, once again, a loading screen.
  • phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yup looks like the servers are in a flux again. Could be the node acting up again, had one of them things go down last week too.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

You do know that by Internet routing rules, streaming video (e.g. YouTube, Netflix, etc.) have bandwidth priority over conventional connections such as STO...

(So when everyone on your block starts looking at YouTube and Netflix, what do you think happens to your STO connection???)
  • jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You do know that by Internet routing rules, streaming video (e.g. YouTube, Netflix, etc.) have bandwidth priority over conventional connections such as STO...

(So when everyone on your block starts looking at YouTube and Netflix, what do you think happens to your STO connection???)

i think cryptics login server just sucks sometimes.
  • captainwessoncaptainwesson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oops, I just tried to change characters while cloaked. Must have shocked the server. My b, guys, sorry :(
    edited April 2014
    You do know that by Internet routing rules....
    Actually, I don't. For that matter, I don't know anything at all about computers. I know how to turn it on, and start the programs, and some basic mechanics. But regardless, I know enough to know that if I can load multiple pages, then the internet is not the problem. By habit, I always check the local news, local weather, and STO forums whenever I see Server Not Responding. And by that, I mean the same tab in FireFox, and moving from website to website. They all worked perfectly fine.
    morden613 wrote: »
    Hello there Prime Meownister Purrchill. ;)
    Fixed. :D
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
  • jplatimerjplatimer Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    2 fleeties having the same issue, unstable logins via ARC.
  • captainpanixcaptainpanix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am also having sporadic issues connecting to login server. Get "connecting to login server" for a few minutes then timeout. I can occasionally get in, but I switch between many characters, so occasionally sucks.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Having issues here as well. Severe rubber-banding and disconnects, can't change characters without a disconnect, massive lag and so forth.

Oh, and the rest of the internet works fine for me, seems the road to Star Trek Online is clogged with fall and tribble-dung again.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Based on timing, probably the result of everybody and his second cousin rushing to get that last mirror doohickey.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • sarellamutatasarellamutata Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I just tried to log in and it's failing too.

Is there a thread containing who's failing to connect or is it everyone unable to log in now?

ISP: VIRGIN MEDIA

Hopefully that info could help track down the source of the problem!
  • jon59650jon59650 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ok this is what I have noticed:

If you are currently logged in and you switch characters, the login server keeps trying to connect and will eventually fail.

But if you are not connected, you can log in fine.

Strange isn't it?

So the solution is if you want to switch characters, close the client and relogin.
    sto-afk-list.tumblr.com/
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think the server is out again.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jon59650 wrote: »
    ok this is what I have noticed:

If you are currently logged in and you switch characters, the login server keeps trying to connect and will eventually fail.

But if you are not connected, you can log in fine.

Strange isn't it?

So the solution is if you want to switch characters, close the client and relogin.

^^ This.

I noticed the same thing. :) Just restarting the client solves it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Its ARC, went to change characters before ingame to be presented with unable to contact login server, when it timed out and tried to login it did the same until both times arc was shutdown and then re-opened, good thing it was lunch time so had to get off and spend quality time with the family anyways, when i have time ARC will be uninstalled until its actually mandatory or they give away more freebies via ARC...
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Its ARC, went to change characters before ingame to be presented with unable to contact login server, when it timed out and tried to login it did the same until both times arc was shutdown and then re-opened, good thing it was lunch time so had to get off and spend quality time with the family anyways, when i have time ARC will be uninstalled until its actually mandatory or they give away more freebies via ARC...

It's not Arc. From what I recall from when this has happened before, there are at least 2 login servers, and this is a sign of one of them being faulty. You can blame it on Arc if it makes you feel better, though.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For that matter, I don't know anything at all about computers.

But regardless, I know enough to know that if I can load multiple pages, then the internet is not the problem.

The first quoted line is far more correct than the second. Unless one of the pages you can load is on the exact same server the game is running on, opening multiple pages only proves for certain that the most local bits of your ISP aren't the problem. It in no way proves that "the internet" (which is actually the most likely culprit) is not the weak link.
    edited April 2014
    It in no way proves that "the internet" (which is actually the most likely culprit) is not the weak link.
    Are the STO forums on the same server? They work perfectly fine too.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Are the STO forums on the same server? They work perfectly fine too.
    No. Two entirely different places - which is why when the Servers are down for maintenance and patching each Thursday you can still post to the forum.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.