What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #61 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Both you and Wraith get the Jean Luc Picard Medal of Creativity!
    Glad to know that I have the official approval of the one who came up with the topic :D

Agreed, It's always a great thing, being acknowledged by the originator. Thank you, Sir.
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My entry is halfway done. Lately, I just haven't been able to muster the energy or effort to actually write anything (hence why I missed so many LC's), and I have no idea if it's been writers block or just me needing a break. Thankfully, though, I've managed to kick myself back into action for this LC, and it helps that its a topic that I really like.

Incidentally, does anyone else find that they get all of their best writing done in an environment with absolutely zero wi-fi, like a subway?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Incidentally, does anyone else find that they get all of their best writing done in an environment with absolutely zero wi-fi, like a subway?

YES!

... and then I forget the idea ...:(
  • Options
    destroyer831642destroyer831642 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Done. Thoughts? Comments?
    9621eea4-a1f5-4e30-bb61-da044da2a5a7_zps2t6tasgd.png

• Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Last few days, decided to post a teaser. Maybe I'll write a proper final one of these days. /shrug I figured I made up the topic, I should have at least contributed something.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Done. Thoughts? Comments?
    Very nice! Good solution to the problem, very clever, very Trek.
    Last few days, decided to post a teaser. Maybe I'll write a proper final one of these days. /shrug I figured I made up the topic, I should have at least contributed something.

Not bad. No issues that I can see.

I wonder what the next topic will be?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ok, mine is up. I'm still practicing combat-writing, so tell me what you think. I also have not had a chance to read most of the entries so far, so if the idea has already been used ... well then call it writer's block on my part :P

@marcus, instead of being a jumping off point, I decided to use your ship and Captain, straight up. I hope this is acceptable, if not, throw me a line and I'll make arrangements.

Cast:

Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Anthi Ythysi - Katheryn Winnick
    Karl Melango - Jeremy Renner
    Thel Ythysi - Kevin Sorbo
    Ian McKinnon - Ben Browder
    Omazei - Gemma Arterton
    S'Rel - Morena Baccarin
    Matthew Calgar - Conleth Hill
    Grannon Trex (Klingon in the end scene)) - Orlando Jones
    Tracy Kent (not mentioned but in the scene at the end) - Nigella Lawson
    Ael t'Kazanak - Cobie Smulders
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ok, mine is up. I'm still practicing combat-writing, so tell me what you think. I also have not had a chance to read most of the entries so far, so if the idea has already been used ... well then call it writer's block on my part :P

@marcus, instead of being a jumping off point, I decided to use your ship and Captain, straight up. I hope this is acceptable, if not, throw me a line and I'll make arrangements.

Cast:

Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Anthi Ythysi - Katheryn Winnick
    Karl Melango - Jeremy Renner
    Thel Ythysi - Kevin Sorbo
    Ian McKinnon - Ben Browder
    Omazei - Gemma Arterton
    S'Rel - Morena Baccarin
    Matthew Calgar - Conleth Hill
    Grannon Trex (Klingon in the end scene)) - Orlando Jones
    Tracy Kent (not mentioned but in the scene at the end) - Nigella Lawson
    Ael t'Kazanak - Cobie Smulders
    Absolutely fine, and fantastic piece :cool: Now I know why the Vanguard's gravplating failed :D
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Alright, finally got mine done! I might go back later and edit it a bit so I can (1) clean it up a bit, and (2) to maybe throw in a few one more Captain's perspective. Otherwise, I'm just glad to get this thing out the door.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Alright, finally got mine done! I might go back later and edit it a bit so I can (1) clean it up a bit, and (2) to maybe throw in a few one more Captain's perspective. Otherwise, I'm just glad to get this thing out the door.

Wow.

That was awesome.

Tense, apocalyptic, very nice.

I preferred doing a sort of more optimistic entry myself (the entirely nonserious Three story and the "Do'eth"/D'trel one where she tries to go out in a Blaze of Glory), but you are REALLY good at these doomsday scenarios.

Not many typos that I could see. Epic battle, Final Showdown of Ultimate Destiny feel--very nice!
  • Options
    edited March 2014

So it was aaaalll [No Spoilers] :D That was absolutely sublime, your strongest piece yet :cool: All I could manage was a bridge bunny in her skivvies :D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So it was aaaalll [No Spoilers] :D That was absolutely sublime, your strongest piece yet :cool: All I could manage was a bridge bunny in her skivvies :D

LOL, marcus.......

All I managed was Three being completely insane and D'trel doing a suicide run at an Iconian fleet.

I think that both of us took the easy way out this time...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    @ambassadormolari - :eek: That really was awesome, with a name-check! :D I'm really impressed by this one. There are two coding errors though, but they did not distract from anything.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    LOL, marcus.......

All I managed was Three being completely insane and D'trel doing a suicide run at an Iconian fleet.

I think you may be right there... ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think you may be right there... ;)

Yeah. It was tons of fun, though. And Three just came so naturally to that one...
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    LOL, marcus.......

You took the easy way? All I did was one fleet communique, and one message directly to Grunt. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You took the easy way? All I did was one fleet communique, and one message directly to Grunt. :)

But you had to write T'nae as a borderline decent person, when the best I can do is make her just a nasty Vulcan supremacist.

:cool:
  • Options
    destroyer831642destroyer831642 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It was definetly amazing, no doubt about that. I am getting a familiar feeling from my piece, as if I already did it before. Des starts it off with a Captain's log, stuff happens, go to briefing room, make brilliant plan, more stuff happens, unexpected twist, everyone dies or is incapacitated, universe saved, Someone returns to their quarters, emotional breakdown, gets pep-talk, end on interesting note. Wow...even I didn't expect it to be THAT close, almost formulaic...
    9621eea4-a1f5-4e30-bb61-da044da2a5a7_zps2t6tasgd.png

• Options
    danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In under the wire.

My entry is up. Hopefully, worth the wait.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm afraid I put off the entry a bit too long, and it's late where I am when I posted it, so I'll post what I have now, then finish it throughout the day tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be done by the time the next one comes up, if not before midnight EDT.
  • Options
    danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm afraid I put off the entry a bit too long, and it's late where I am when I posted it, so I'll post what I have now, then finish it throughout the day tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be done by the time the next one comes up, if not before midnight EDT.

Know the feeling. This seemed a huge subject that just begged for more than two weeks to tell the tale.

I do have to wonder at an Admiral like Lee having any problems dealing with holes popping up without warning right in your path if he grew up driving on County Line Road, but we'll let that pass....:)

Interesting read. I look forward to seeing how it ends.
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Added the final part of the Iconian Factor though I hope it lives up to my previous stories.:D

ABout to read to my hearts content, though I may not comment, because I have a movie to get to!

Hope the next one is as good as this one!
  • Options
    masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Mines up.

Sorry worffan101...couldn't figure out how to get Three's tea with the lizard in the story... ;)

May be the last one for a bit...more R/L interruptions have the nerve to interfere with entertainment. Haven't even played the *game* for some time.

Speaking of which...since I was inactive in the game, I got bounced from my fleet because they have over 500 members and cleaned house. (Didn't even have the courtesy of considering I was there from the start after we got burned by a previous fleet organizer that took loot and locked the bank.)

Any suggestions for a casual fleet for people who, (a) don't have time to memorize each and every STF procedure where x *has* to happen at y, (b) know how to interact with each other in a respectful and courteous manner, (c) don't have time to be online 24/7 and contribute millions of fleet marks (I don't even have 1 million EC to buy a purple EMH...) (d) won't take what you do contribute and lock the bank or bounce you?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    masopw wrote: »
    Mines up.

Sorry worffan101...couldn't figure out how to get Three's tea with the lizard in the story... ;)

May be the last one for a bit...more R/L interruptions have the nerve to interfere with entertainment. Haven't even played the *game* for some time.

Speaking of which...since I was inactive in the game, I got bounced from my fleet because they have over 500 members and cleaned house. (Didn't even have the courtesy of considering I was there from the start after we got burned by a previous fleet organizer that took loot and locked the bank.)

Any suggestions for a casual fleet for people who, (a) don't have time to memorize each and every STF procedure where x *has* to happen at y, (b) know how to interact with each other in a respectful and courteous manner, (c) don't have time to be online 24/7 and contribute millions of fleet marks (I don't even have 1 million EC to buy a purple EMH...) (d) won't take what you do contribute and lock the bank or bounce you?

Fine by me, dude. It's your story, after all.

Very nice entry. Not really on the topic, but sweet action and a very nice femme fatale.

I'm fleet 2IC (and de facto boss) of the Romulan Star Republic (Fed) and 3IC of the Imperial Klingon Military (KDF). Both fit your needs. Fleet boss Ngirex runs a free but friendly ship, everybody's nice, we've got experienced PVPers and elite STF guys who like nothing better than showing newbies the ropes...*

Good fleets. Just drop me a tell at Three@worffan101 or Do'eth@worffan101, and I'll get you in. RSR is a newer fleet (IKM's Fed sister fleet), so we don't have many facilities yet, but we have shipyard tier 1 and a bunch of projects to fill.

*Not that you have any obligation to do PVP or STFs; these guys are just here and happy to teach if you want to learn. We're a relatively young (still not quite to starbase 5, but t3 on everything else) but close-knit fleet with a lot of really great people.

Many of our top guys have alts in the fleet, too, so you can get whatever help you need. They're usually good to switch toons and pull their Eng alts or Sci alts or whatever in to fill support roles in STF teams. Some of the guys do light RP, and fleet boss Ngirex likes to say short Klingon phrases a lot for motivational purposes, so you won't feel completely lost. I'm the only guy who writes here in the fleet (as far as I know), but we're an open and friendly bunch, whether sitting in the bloodwine bowl on the starbase, speed-running elite STFs, running KGE for the accolade, or trading borderline risque stories and anecdotes about crazy roommates and crazy work/RL/whatever stuff.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh, that wasn't Grunt, that was all Vovonek. Okay, and maybe Gydap playing some tunes on the SIF generators. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Very nice entry. Not really on the topic, but sweet action and a very nice femme fatale.

Thanks!

Well...there was a battle...and it was final....and....uh....

(ok. I admit I didn't read the full challenge. The title grabbed my attention and ran with an idea. My bad.)

Re: fleet info: thanks as well for the invite...I'll drop you a line next time I log in. (Maybe I'll even pick up Rosetta Stone: Klingon to join the conversation like a native speaker....:D )
  • Options
    zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've worked to the wee hours of the morning (again) but I've finally finished my entry to the 61st LC. Hopefully it's up to your liking, as sleep deprivation is getting to me and I will now go to sleep and hopefully wake up to the next LC.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Mines up.

Very tasty :cool: Good to see my girls playing well together too :D

RIP Manda <3
  • Options
    edited April 2014

@masopw - My fleet does not actively recruit and we are a handful of players from City of Heroes that wanted to stick together. The link to our boards is in my sig. We are quiet and chat more than play together, but we contribute to the fleet holdings diligently. All we ask is that you respect others and have fun your way. It's a slow moving but peaceful group. Check us out at your leisure. No commitments unless you join.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Not to be pushy or anything, but...

Where is our new LC???

Smirk, are you doing OK???