test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Being the best of the best at Easy Trek Online is something valuable to you?

Lol. No. It makes me want to blow things up more. Especially people online in game complaining about power creep. Especially going against Scimitar's and JHAS that as powerful has a tier 3 cruiser because that person get the gear with no understanding how to work it.

Cryptic TRIBBLE with my passive skills will make this worst, and I will want to vent more. TRIBBLE and fill in the blanks, Cryptic. Oh, you don't care.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's not being stupid, it's called "finding out what works". Trust me, I could go on the wiki now and half of that stuff is either out of date or too confusing.

That's just two weapons. You're looking at hundreds of weapons and gear types out there.

Yes, MMOs get harder content, but guess what? Power creep takes over QUITE fast. I have friends (hell, my brother, too) who plays Wow, FF XIV and the like and even they say power creep is bad there, too.

But, then what? You blaze through everything in under two weeks? What then?

"No expertise?" I'd talk - you talk like STO is the only game out there. I've played in other MMOs and I've seen power creep worse than this.

In truth, the ones who want the path of less resistance is the person whose complaining because they don't want to give up the power they got. I, for one, am glad Cryptic's doing this.

I could code in a hundred weapons and gear in two hours. And I'm working with fan made tools, which should not be as good as the ones a company has for their own game.

I'm an amateur who does that as a hobby. With Cryptic, we (at least should be) talking about trained people who got better tools and more time to do the same.

You know nothing at all. Whoo hoo, you played MMOs. I dont care. Unless you have experience actually about making and editing games, than your opinion is nothing on this matter. You got no expertise at all. Nothing.

All you do is say "aaaaaw too hard to do, it cant be done right" . Guess what. You lie, it can be done. Yes, doing it right would require some effort on Cryptic's part.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Your wrong. It makes newer players want to play more so they can get to play like the Elite.
    Why would players want to be like that? It doesn't make any sense. I'd think that players just want to play with their pals without a big grind wall. If I'm wrong, I'd like to at least understand why.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tbarlow wrote: »
    what the heck, messing with something that should just be left alone, how about working on something that really needs to be fixed like some of the bugs, and adding new stuff not killing a good thing.......

tbarlow

They are fixing some bugs. And they ARE adding new content. The undine update here has new content. It's just not covered in this particular blog. The previous blog was all about how they're upgrading the look of the Undine to fit with the new Undine content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Being the best of the best at Easy Trek Online is something valuable to you?

Exactly what I've been thinking, but cared too little to try and phrase well.
    giphy.gif
    edited March 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    I could code in a hundred weapons and gear in two hours. And I'm working with fan made tools, which should not be as good as the ones a company has for their own game.

I'm an amateur who does that as a hobby. With Cryptic, we (at least should be) talking about trained people who got better tools and more time to do the same.

You know nothing at all. Whoo hoo, you played MMOs. I dont care. Unless you have experience actually about making and editing games, than your opinion is nothing on this matter. You got no expertise at all. Nothing.

All you do is say "aaaaaw too hard to do, it cant be done right" . Guess what. You lie, it can be done. Yes, doing it right would require some effort on Cryptic's part.

At this point, it's probably best for you to beat Cryptic at their own game and go make your own space MMO.

Let us know, we'll be happy to drop by, test it out and find bugs for you and everything.

You could probably even get this funded through kickstarter.

Keep us posted!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm being serious. Your post seems heartfelt and you seem to have a passion for game design. And I'm sure a lot of us here like playing these kinds of games and would love to try out a new one. And I've seen quite a few successful kickstarters run for new games. So if this is a dream of yours, I think you can make this happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Okay, then, if you're so dead set on showing how it's done, do it. Make a game that can be better than this.

All I've done is make simple fan games through a simple to use game maker, but you sound like such a pro.

So, please, enlighten us.
    edited March 2014
    Exactly what I've been thinking, but cared too little to try and phrase well.

What's important to me is pushing my abilities and skills? Is that valuable, yes. It's valuable in real life also. I would love to get to the point to do all space STF's alone with no help except the Hive. I think it's possible. To do so, I will need every single buff and passive skill available. Which I worked for by grinding the rep system.

Overall goal, beat the STF's. Pit my Ha'feh class against a Tactical Cube, Unimatrix, patrol of Tactical Cube/Sphere, Voth Dreadnought, Scimitar, and JHAS and beating every single one of them including the Undine super ship.
    edited March 2014
    Okay, then, if you're so dead set on showing how it's done, do it. Make a game that can be better than this.

All I've done is make simple fan games through a simple to use game maker, but you sound like such a pro.

So, please, enlighten us.

What type of game you did? I do 3d modelling.
    edited March 2014
    I would need a team and a few dozen million dollar's worth of money (kickstarters ? Lol, I dont think that would be even enough to register any game's logo as a trademark) for any MMO, because I said... I do code.

This is a code problem. But a game needs so much more. Voice acting, models, textures, animations. And oh boy, voice acting is not that hard, but models, textures and animations.... those usually take up the big problems. And honestly, Cryptic artists are doing good so far, and I dont even want to imagine how much a pile of dollars it costs to get a Star Trek actor to do voice lines.

I cant, for the life of mine, do models, textures, or animations. If I could, I would have already made a Fellblade model! :D

Of course, if Cryptic offered me the job of redoing the items twice for pve and pvp, I think that would be doable. It would take... around a month to do by one person, if we figure 6 hours of work five times a week.

But that's it . They should have people with a university training in this, who should be able to do this stuff much better than me.

Unless....somehow Cryptic got some really bad editing tools. Or maybe they had a change of staff, and the old staff got fired before teaching the new ones all the tricks.

I'm grasping at straws there, but that's possible too.

And of course, this all implies that PWE doesnt want to intentionally cripple some aspect of the game, to later monatize a "Solution" for it. Over which policy the devs got little to no control.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • kitsune424kitsune424 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't see any of those as an issue.

Everyone of those Cstore ships could easily have the consoles switch to a specific type. With a 20s database variable change. :)

The lockbox ships would be hit the hardest by this for sure... they would be limited to only really running there ships special 2 piece... of course they COULD also make one of the 2 Lockbox ships that comprise the console set for the ship a specific type as well... So they could for instance leave the Temporal Manhim Device as a Universal, but change the Backstep console into a science console. That would allow Temp ship players to still slot there 2 piece and STILL they would be gaining one free new Universal slot that would allow them to run a Universal cosnole for free. (and thinking about it perhaps the console split should be the other way around cause most people would just run the back step and be looking at 2 free new Console slots for uni consoles lol)

you missed this part:
    gpgtx wrote: »
    and honestly if some one wants to gimp them self so hard by equipping nothing but universals let them
    We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    edited March 2014
    You must not have been on Tribble lately, eh? The reason I asked is because on Tribble, you can customize the armor/add color to it any way you wish. You might want to try it out.

No I haven't been to tribble lately, didn't get the invite, but that is awesome
    We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    edited March 2014
    What's important to me is pushing my abilities and skills? Is that valuable, yes. It's valuable in real life also. I would love to get to the point to do all space STF's alone with no help except the Hive. I think it's possible. To do so, I will need every single buff and passive skill available. Which I worked for by grinding the rep system.

Overall goal, beat the STF's. Pit my Ha'feh class against a Tactical Cube, Unimatrix, patrol of Tactical Cube/Sphere, Voth Dreadnought, Scimitar, and JHAS and beating every single one of them including the Undine super ship.

Your SIG seems to imply you think this game is too easy. You want to be able to roll over content designed for team play.

Spot the dissonance?
    giphy.gif
    edited March 2014
    I would need a team and a few dozen million dollar's worth of money (kickstarters ? Lol, I dont think that would be even enough to register any game's logo as a trademark) for any MMO, because I said... I do code.

I think kickstarter's more viable than that (though maybe not in the few dozen millions, since you're not putting together the Veronica Mars movie). But it's definitely an avenue.

And getting your game's licensing squared away (including its logo for trademark and copyright stuff) isn't nearly as expensive as needing a kickstarter I don't think. At least for published/printed materials, I know it's not (that's more my area of experience).

I'm a graphic designer. So if you want a logo designed, I could help. Or someone else on here, because there's a lot of other artists and what not.

There's a lot of others here that do other things, so if assembling a team is part of this process, this could be a fine crowdsourcing opportunity.

I know internet forums are filled with snark and arguing and what not. But there's the other side of this. We are a community. We all have at least one common interest (star trek), and probably a second (video games).

Eh, it might be worth a try if this is your dream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Wow No! Special Task Force missions are meant for a team of 5, and really the stfs are the only points in this game that is mmo based. If you want a single player game many game consoles have star trek games.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kitsune424 wrote: »

Don't need an invite, just need to transfer a character over there. They got links there and everything.
    edited March 2014
    There are not gaps as there are no arc restrictions.

-.-

Sorry but you obviously never used FaW, I have and if my forward beams arcs are facing an enemy, but my rear ones aren't, then my rear ones DON'T fire and my forward ones do
    edited March 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I had to quote this, it literally made me spit my tea out all over my keyboard! :D

Ps. you owe me a new keyboard ;) :P

On a brighter note, with being artificially limited in how many passives I can use, I now no longer need to bother with the Undine rep, as nothing in it is of value to me when you cannot use it...

Glad to be of help :)
    edited March 2014
    Your SIG seems to imply you think this game is too easy. You want to be able to roll over content designed for team play.

Spot the dissonance?

No. I want to roll over that content.

I do play STF's and Kerrat with fleet mates for fun. Also, My friend is engineering and science, so I do enjoy playing missions with her because I seen missions/episodes differently. Sometimes we do STF's with only 2 people.

We just like pushing the limits and try to use every tool given us which we gained playing 100+ hours for.

I would think "bitterness", "anger", "hatred", or "frustration" that Cryptic is limiting what I spent a TRIBBLE load of hours for.

Team play, I would play that also but they need to have Super Elite mode.
    edited March 2014
    I think kickstarter's more viable than that (though maybe not in the few dozen millions, since you're not putting together the Veronica Mars movie). But it's definitely an avenue.

And getting your game's licensing squared away (including its logo for trademark and copyright stuff) isn't nearly as expensive as needing a kickstarter I don't think. At least for published/printed materials, I know it's not (that's more my area of experience).

I'm a graphic designer. So if you want a logo designed, I could help. Or someone else on here, because there's a lot of other artists and what not.

There's a lot of others here that do other things, so if assembling a team is part of this process, this could be a fine crowdsourcing opportunity.

I know internet forums are filled with snark and arguing and what not. But there's the other side of this. We are a community. We all have at least one common interest (star trek), and probably a second (video games).

Eh, it might be worth a try if this is your dream.

That would be nice, but I'm a foundering, poor idiot living in a second world country. I got as much education as Al Bundy.

My whole point was, if I can do it with what little I got, Cryptic should be able to do it too. They should be better than me in all respects in this field. They should be able to do so much, much, much more than I can.

I am doing my mod beside playing Dow2, Space marine, STO, Tor and doing my training-job (which almost got Tor knocked out, and managed to get me off Skyrim) . I'm not doing the modding as my job 6 hours a day. (I'm figuring Cryptic has 8 hours work shifts, and that devs can work 6 hours of it, spending the rest having lunch, brainstorming ideas, going to meetings etc) .

My dream actually is a nice, well done Warhammer 40k game that manages to convey the lore behind the settings as much as a video game allows.

So far I have been trying to modify the Dawn of War games, using fan made tools. Oh boy, I know balancing is not easy. Though I am making "canon" mods, which make balancing much harder than Cryptic needs to do.

Of course some restrictions apply. Would STO be fun if Starships had canon 300.000km range?
    What kind of computer could handle giant maps needed for a canonical Imperial Guard-Ork army fight with millions of troopers and boyz on either side?

These are all problems that can not be avoided. People have to make sacrifices.

I also know how hard art assets are to make. That's why I have been trying to tell the Cryptic devs to make harder versions of existing content, because that means they can reuse a LOT of their existing art assets.

Just copying the ISE map, renaming it ISESuperhard, and copying the NPC files for it "ISe-borg" to "ise-super-borg" folder, and than modifying the map to spawn the super-borg npcs and than making those NPCS harder is MUCH less work than making an entire new battlezone for instance.

Especially since Cryptic has the same method as Dow2. There its called "modifiers". They add a passive bonus to an entity, like... 50% bonus damage, 50% bonus resistance to X, and so on.

So instead of having to do all NPCs for ISe-superhard, they could just give them a "modifier" to be harder. Of course....this allows for less fine tuning than making individual weapons.

For a better fine tuning, they would need to copy the weapons of the npcs, and make a new version.
    Like .... Sphere-beam array superhard, sphere-plasma-torp superhard, cube cutting beam superhard...and so on.

Undine battlezone for example, while reusing some Dyson stuff, will have a load of new content models (hardest stuff for any game to get, most time consuming). Which is a good work from Cryptic, and I am not saying any bad about it am I?
    edited March 2014
    lol blame the pvpers?

shut up XD

ah, no, I don't think we will
    edited March 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    Wow No! Special Task Force missions are meant for a team of 5, and really the stfs are the only points in this game that is mmo based. If you want a single player game many game consoles have star trek games.

No. I want to beat the heck out of every darn Special Task Force mission that I think one person can do because Cryptic made it doable to beat the 5 person Special Task Force mission with 1 or a 2rnd person.

There is no way to beat the ground STF's by yourself, but not may people are playing those.
    edited March 2014
    No. I want to roll over that content.

I do play STF's and Kerrat with fleet mates for fun. Also, My friend is engineering and science, so I do enjoy playing missions with her because I seen missions/episodes differently. Sometimes we do STF's with only 2 people.

We just like pushing the limits and try to use every tool given us which we gained playing 100+ hours for.

I would think "bitterness", "anger", "hatred", or "frustration" that Cryptic is limiting what I spent a TRIBBLE load of hours for.

Team play, I would play that also but they need to have Super Elite mode.

Might wanna change the sig then. "Easy trek online" implies you think the game is too easy.

You can still push limits and use what you've ground for, just like everybody else has. You just now need to put s thought in to what passives to slot.

You might want to see a counsellor if they're actually what you're really feeling about the changes, though. Just a game after all.
    giphy.gif
    edited March 2014
    Fairer. How about this the newbies earn the same powers? That's fairer.

I spend X amount of hours to earn rep passive. So, a newbie don't want to earn those power, too lazy, or spoiled. I lose X number of hours of grinding because they are upset.

I don't understand your logic. I played kerrat yesterday. I saw two players with a scimitar and jhas. They was blown up aa least 16 times. Another player had a raptor, 10 players could not take him down. Now should the players who was blown up complain it was a power creep by me and others.

I don't think so. Those players need to learn to play better. So, they run to Cryptic saying too many players have ability.

This is like Cryptic saying. Poor baby, you too lazy, we will TRIBBLE other players for you because you can't do it.

This ^ is my point
    edited March 2014
    This ^ is my point

The point I see. Those other players need to learn how to play. I actually complimented the guy with the Raptor that he had a good build. He seemed to understand how the mechanics works for the game.
    edited March 2014
    Might wanna change the sig then. "Easy trek online" implies you think the game is too easy.

You can still push limits and use what you've ground for, just like everybody else has. You just now need to put s thought in to what passives to slot.

You might want to see a counsellor if they're actually what you're really feeling about the changes, though. Just a game after all.

I don't need a counselor to tell me that Cryptic is TRIBBLE the player base in the name of $$$.

As for the game being too easy, it easy. Elite mode is more like Advance mode.

I can change the signature to "Kill Trek Online". It's equally descriptive of the current state of the game.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You don't need an invite, just go here, copy a character over to the server, and then log into Tribble. It takes less than 2 minutes to get all of that done.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh, dear, this is going to be long and tedious. Talk among yourselves, make a cup of tea, whatever...

The case for imposing some sort of cap on rep-based abilities can be made, as a means for limiting power creep. The case for imposing that cap at a level below that which some players have already reached... is less easy to justify. Since I'm one of the people affected, let me just admit right now that I'm bloomin' cross about it.

("But," say the devs, "you will have broader access to a more powerful set of abilities, even though you won't be able to use them all simultaneously, so that evens it out, doesn't it?" Um... no. I'm losing all the synergy I get between the existing powers. Besides, even if the numbers pan out - and too many of the entries in the blog read "a small increase" rather than "doubled in effectiveness" - it doesn't really matter what the numbers are. My characters will be able to do Less in the way of Cool Stuff. This is bad. It doesn't matter if DPS-is-technically-slightly-increased-if-anything.)

However. Let's put my hurt feelings to one side, and consider where this means the game's going. We have absolute confirmation, now, that Undine rep is on the way, and today's dev blog tells us about the new Undine battlezone. And I feel a definite sense of unease at the way this is heading.

We had the battlezone on Defera, and endless trench warfare against the Borg. Then we got the battlezone on Nukara and endless trench warfare against the Tholians. New Romulus was a welcome development, but if you want endless trench warfare against the Tal Shiar and the Tholians, it's not hard to find. Then along came the Voth, and exciting opportunities for endless trench warfare in the ground battlezone. And now, here come the Undine, and a space battlezone, and yet another chance for endless trench warfare!

Uh, guys? We're getting all this stuff on TV, over in Britain, about the centenary of the First World War. One of the lessons we learned from that war is that endless trench warfare is Not Fun. Even the visceral thrill of bringing down a dinosaur with laser beams on its head... palls, after the twentieth time or so you do it.

We will, I suppose, be seeing featured episodes... and I guess it's good to keep Michael Dorn and Tim Russ in beer money, but I can't help but feeling that the actual story content, leavening all that endless trench warfare, is very small.

So, with not enough storyline stuff, and a lot of endless trench warfare, the only good thing about the new content is that I might be able to get more Cool Stuff for my characters. Except, wait, rep powers are going to be capped. Every piece of Cool Stuff I now acquire has to displace some existing piece of Cool Stuff.

This problem will get worse, not better, if and when more reputations come along. I know, I know, you're making the malevolently tedious grind easier... Guess what? I don't necessarily want it easier. What I want is More Fun.

Getting and using Cool Stuff is fun. Playing Exciting New Content is fun. Repetitive grinding and endless trench warfare are Not Fun. Making hard decisions about what Cool Stuff to sacrifice is Not Fun. The game, in short, appears to be trending away from the Fun and towards the Not Fun direction. This, for me, is bad news.

What we could do with, in fact, is a different approach to activities for end-game characters. Several such have been suggested, in this mammoth of a thread, and I'm not best placed to suggest more, because at the end of the day, I don't know the limitations of the game software, or the budgetary constraints on the development team. But I would recommend, most heartily, that you take a good hard look at what sort of end-game activity might be More Fun.

"Why should we do that?" you might ask. "Because you will leave in a huff and never return if we don't? When you do, can we haz your stuff?"... Actually, you should worry more if I don't leave, and I'll tell you why.

I'm a lifetime subscriber. That means I've paid all I'm ever going to pay for simple access to the game. Any time I spend actual money, then, it's going to be... to get more Cool Stuff. Presumably, being a business, you want my money... also, you are aware that I come with attendant costs. My existing Cool Stuff takes up space in your database, my use of it puts some load on your servers. Not, to be sure, a great deal of it, what with me only being eight insignificant starship captains... but....

If I can't improve my characters any further, I have no incentive to buy Cool Stuff for them. Which makes me, in business terms, a pure liability for you. The only thing I contribute to the game is the undoubted pleasure of my company. Which counts for nothing on your balance sheet.

And I will carry on being a pure liability, until you come up with endgame content sufficiently engaging to make me crack open my wallet again... or I get bored with playing characters I can't improve, and go away. Um, guys? I maxed out four of your rep grinds. I watched all seven seasons of TNG and Voyager. My tolerance for boredom is insanely high.

You are in the process of converting me from an asset to a liability. This is not a good move for any of us. (Are there more like me? Enough to make a visible impact on your corporate balance sheet? I don't know. At the end of the day, I can only speak for myself, after all. But I can speak at some length, by jingo.)

Cyan antelope version: cross about existing characters being nerfed, want a different approach to endgame content than multiple rep grinds and endless trench warfare.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • chuxx500chuxx500 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just change content difficulty ranges and leave reps alone.

Normal will be as we have now with respect to difficulty but will have all rep passives and Doffs turned off.

Elite will add 3 chosen Doffs and 4 chosen Rep passives to use for the upgraded difficulty.

Insert name here for the highest difficulty would allow max Doffs and all earned rep passives.

In space give the npc ships 12 Boff skills and the corresponding captain skills and purple Mk XII gear and have at it!

On the ground give the npc kit powers and top gear too.

This can also be tied to rep in that you would need to have completed a certain minimum of rep tiers to be eligible to play in higher difficulty levels.

Make it a percentage of rep tiers and every new rep would require that percentage of a larger pool so after new reps came in players would need to do the new reps to be able play that higher level.

The normal, elite and top level separations could also be applied to PVP queues.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No. I want to beat the heck out of every darn Special Task Force mission that I think one person can do because Cryptic made it doable to beat the 5 person Special Task Force mission with 1 or a 2rnd person.

There is no way to beat the ground STF's by yourself, but not may people are playing those.

I don't think that has much to do with passives and a lot to do with a p2w aspect thrown in the game, I've seen what you just described done by the scim and a few other c-store ships, never with a standard t5 ship like the ambassador class ship. This is the issue to fix.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
This discussion has been closed.