Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #6: Undine Battlezone

Comments

• roselkusroselkus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    nice one ty
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So...if I'm reading this right, end rewards are based on how many points we help capture instead of just tagging planet killers? If so, I'm down with that.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ktetch wrote: »
    u26txrS8 says it all I think...

It doesn't sum up anything. This move by Cryptic is stupid.
  • trooglevroomtrooglevroom Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Gotta say I'm excited... kinda liked the Voth battlezone, even though I usually hate ground combat. But the Voth space contested zone never seemed to work as well for me.

Looking forward to this a lot :D
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Mentioned in one of the Tribble notes that the idea if making Cloak engage Red Alert that would of course disable full impulse (and other things, like extra hull regen since it would be in combat), I could dig but since the search function is the current mess thats pretty hard.

But still that was mentioned and since "player feedback" amounts to exactly nothing (unless its a excuse to nerf something they intended to do all along) I suspect that will happen.

If I am wrong then I ask for a Developer to say that I am*, otherwise I am going with my gut and say this is something that is planned, just like 4 mandatory ground traits.

*Not I ever believe any word that comes from the designers from this point on.

Ugh... just... ugh.

The thing is... I can really see those things happen. Like... I really see it...
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Now that the Vorlon planet killer knockoffs are in the sphere, when do the shadows make their appearance?

Meh, thanks but no thanks.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
    edited March 2014
    @topic: I hope the rewards on tribble are not final.
    Last time I looked they were about 10 percent of the Voth Ground Battle Zone Dilithium-wise.

Which is ludicrous.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Mentioned in one of the Tribble notes that the idea if making Cloak engage Red Alert that would of course disable full impulse (and other things, like extra hull regen since it would be in combat), I could dig but since the search function is the current mess thats pretty hard.

But still that was mentioned and since "player feedback" amounts to exactly nothing (unless its a excuse to nerf something they intended to do all along) I suspect that will happen.

If I am wrong then I ask for a Developer to say that I am*, otherwise I am going with my gut and say this is something that is planned, just like 4 mandatory ground traits.

*Not I ever believe any word that comes from the designers from this point on.

Only thing I could find is
    I think 30 seconds fixes all kit-swapping exploits. I think 30 seconds could also fix all console-swapping exploits, possibly if Battle Cloak and Enhanced Battle Cloak leave the user in combat as long as they're on.

Therefore, it is just discussion at this point. It only took me a couple of seconds by typing cloak and devtracker. Until it is in the tribble patch notes or on a dev blog, then this is just speculation on what a dev might do to fix an exploit not what he will do.
    edited March 2014
    Now that the Vorlon planet killer knockoffs are in the sphere, when do the shadows make their appearance?

They have always been there.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited March 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Therefore, it is just discussion at this point.

You can bet Cryptic will settle with the most undesirable solution.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited March 2014

You mean the demons of air and darkness
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I do enjoy my bread and circuses, Cryptic.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Therefore, it is just discussion at this point. It only took me a couple of seconds by typing cloak and devtracker. Until it is in the tribble patch notes or on a dev blog, then this is just speculation on what a dev might do to fix an exploit not what he will do.

So, first they made a dumb decision and now because of that dumb and shortsighted decision they're considering making being under cloak to activate the 'red alert' and maintain the ships in combat so we can't use full impulse under cloak??? :eek:

Excuse me, I need to find a wall big and hard enough to hit my head against it, facepalm just doesn't cover this.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Looks fun.

The lack of a ground battlezone is disappointing though, given that the Voth Battlezone was arguably the best addition in S8, and S9 also features a kit revamp and revamped Undine ground forces.

Something for Season 9.5, perhaps?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    They have always been there.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D
    Heheh, :)
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    You mean the demons of air and darkness

Heh, I'll take my Romulan in a Dyson destroyer for a look. I better not see a Shadow battlecrab.:)
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I guess I'm a still a little aggravated about losing passive skills that I worked on for hours to earn that Cryptic is stripping away.

There's a thread for that. And all discussion and feedback about that particular dev blog should probably stay there in that thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No, they are going to add a new Battlezone, plus splinting character traits into 4 space and 4 ground and Full Impulse cannot be used when ship is cloaked.

All wonderful ideas arent they? and I am not joking about the last 2 mind you ... I-am-not.

Apart from the additional BZ, I would actually welcome those ideas. Sorry to say that.
    I don't like the current min-maxing trend, and people with zero ground traits are even harder to convince for some ground combat.
    That being said, 4 slots each might indeed be a bit too few. 5 should work.

I like challenges and choices, and I'm an excellent bridge builder. At least when it's a change for the better of the game.
  • spartan603spartan603 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No command credit system on this one, I disagree players have proven in the Voth battle zone that when a capture point is about to fall they don't go to it they go to the ones that say "allies are winning" and even if people do go the ones that are about to fall we don't want to head back to it or having to stay and defend it because the Undine keep on heading to it and the original defending allied vessels were destroyed. I like the idea of having a space version of the battlezone but without the command credit system into this one, im unimpressed when this comes out I may go to once are twice overall I wont go to it. Sorry :(
  • rossi320rossi320 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So, as one guy said earlier, is this going to replace the current Voth space zone? I've been tied up with the other reputations so I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Would hate to lose my chance on it. :(
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rossi320 wrote: »
    So, as one guy said earlier, is this going to replace the current Voth space zone? I've been tied up with the other reputations so I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Would hate to lose my chance on it. :(

No. It's new maps and new reps... Voth missions are unaffected. There was a future map area labeled the Voth zone which hasn't been opened yet but will include the new Undine missions in S9.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • minusthedrifter2minusthedrifter2 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Personally I think a cloak change like that would be interestingly fantastic and could actually help to reduce vapers as a whole.

No longer would a cloaked ship be able to whip around willy-nilly searching for some poor sod to vaporize in a blink of an eye. Instead they'd have to make the choice of zipping around uncloaked, giving their targets an actual chance to defend for a change; or sulking around like a submarine waiting for the perfect prey to fall into their trap.

In fact the more I think about it, the better it sounds. Vapers would still exist but their ability to rain armageddon on an unsuspecting foe would be obliterated which is one of the problems with vapers.

I hope this happens.
  • rossi320rossi320 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    No. It's new maps and new reps... Voth missions are unaffected. There was a future map area labeled the Voth zone which hasn't been opened yet but will include the new Undine missions in S9.

I hope that's the case. Thanks for the speedy answer. :)
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    @topic: I hope the rewards on tribble are not final.
    Last time I looked they were about 10 percent of the Voth Ground Battle Zone Dilithium-wise.

Which is ludicrous.

This is Cryptic. It's a safe bet the solution will be nerfing the Voth Ground Battlezone "to be more in line with other battlezones." :rolleyes:
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm hoping for more ground options as the rewards stink in space but I know they are still up for modification. I know we are getting remastered story missions but I want to see the mark rewarding stuff on ground.

I'm not sure if Terradome is getting a make over and re-release but there was ground combat in that as well as space but they may break it up just like the other STFs. It would be nice to land on an Undine biosphere and have it like a battlezone.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Soooo, this is the Voth contested space zone mission (that nobody hardly bothered to play)?... Now with MORE Undine! Capture points to bring out the boss ships?

Enjoy that "NEW" content everyone! LOL!!

:rolleyes:

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Another Day, another rep to grind.

Well, at least the Dyson ground battlezone will still exist for all it's delightfully fun dil farming.

Unless the 8472 rep offers something that can rival (e.g. be lower priced than but with the same performance as) current rep items, I doubt I will bother farming this one seeing as we can no longer stack rep bonuses (aka rep traits) anymore.

For Season 10, more story content and a remastering of the old missions (DS9 arc for example) that are starting to look dated would be nice, not more grind-tastic reps and a new gameplay mechanic.
    sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
    If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
  • commanderandercommanderander Member Posts: 78 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    rossi320 wrote: »

Just to clarify this, the battlezone is a brand new space zone.

Lore-wise, it is located in a previously unreachable part of the Dyson Sphere.

No previous zones are going away.

I hope that clears things up!
    Sean "Commander Ander" McCann - Content Designer
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    Yay! Season 9, just became "The Sphere: Part 2" as far as I'm concerned. What's wrong with making an actual NEW "Fluidic Space" based adventure zone? Why must you guys rehash The Sphere from Season 8, but now with added Species 8472?

I'd love a fluidic space battle/adventure zone. More than just one one map we have right now.

I actually liked the Voth battlezone. It took you out of the 'lone hero' style and threw you in the nitty gritty with others. Reminds me a little of the Dominion War. I felt more like I was fighting a war than everything else up to that point.
    I don't like the grind, but at least the zone is fun enough to take my mind off the fact it is a grind.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Personally I think a cloak change like that would be interestingly fantastic and could actually help to reduce vapers as a whole.

No longer would a cloaked ship be able to whip around willy-nilly searching for some poor sod to vaporize in a blink of an eye. Instead they'd have to make the choice of zipping around uncloaked, giving their targets an actual chance to defend for a change; or sulking around like a submarine waiting for the perfect prey to fall into their trap.

In fact the more I think about it, the better it sounds. Vapers would still exist but their ability to rain armageddon on an unsuspecting foe would be obliterated which is one of the problems with vapers.

I hope this happens.

LMAO!!! :D You actually don't know what you're talking about, do you?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, at least the Dyson ground battlezone will still exist for all it's delightfully fun dil farming.

It'll get nerfed before long. Seen it happen in other games, it'll happen here too.
    druhin wrote: »
    Yay! Season 9, just became "The Sphere: Part 2" as far as I'm concerned. What's wrong with making an actual NEW "Fluidic Space" based adventure zone? Why must you guys rehash The Sphere from Season 8, but now with added Species 8472?

Because that would require an inordinate amount of effort on Cryptic's part.

We already know that the upcoming Expansion is going to be a further development of the story that started with S8. Hopefully by then we'll have blown up enough Undine (read: bought enough zen) to warrant Cryptic letting us use that hole in the Jenolan sphere and getting out to "explore" the Delta Quadrant...Sector Block.

Don't get me wrong, Devs, i'm under no illusion that making this was easy or quick, and i'm still looking forward to playing the content. But the way it's just a small add-on to the Sphere Battlezone (in comparison to S8's release, which included two space zones, one ground zone and two/four new PvE queues) it does look like Season 9 isn't going to be nearly as big a release.

As I said before, perhaps it should be renamed Season 8.75.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif