What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #6: Undine Battlezone

1235»

Comments

• crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    So does this mean that the Voth Battlezone is no more? You cant do the Dyson rep anymore for space/ship? Is the ground Voth Battlezone still valid? If the Voth arent in space then how can they still be on ground?

Ummm... Dunno where you heard all that... Everything that is in game will be in game... It's all part of the storyline. Others who just start out will need to play in the Voth Battlezone in order to get that part of the missions and storyline... The Dyson Rep still exists also... Just will have a new format to earn the tiers, just like all the rest of the Reps...

Wow, Sometimes it's like teaching adults how to add or subtract! This is how I feel talking to some of the posters here:
    http://youtu.be/KdxEAt91D7k

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think it's more a conclusion that actually hearing it, and a reasonable one to draw since the concept for the return of the Undine seems to be that the Undine come in and basically blow the Voth right out of the Solanae Sphere. That's the problem with doing things like that with 'Group A wipes out Group B or devastates Location C' in a persistant world, it confuses people who might not have been there for the time it happened or it ends up not fitting well since Group B or Location C still has to exist for new players despite the actions of Group A for current players.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    [So is this getting rid of the Voth Space area? In which case, would the Voth stop on ground? Or is this going to be occuring simultaneously. Would be good to have a 3-way conflict present.]

nm, saw Branflake's response. Poor Voth, trapped between a rock and a hard place now it would seem.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Interesting, but far-fetched. Adding the Voth and the Undine to the FKR alliance would have players clamouring to play as them, which isn't going to happen (not by S10 or the new expansion, anyhow).

Not to mention that once the Iconians enter the fray, there's no overarching big-bad pulling the strings from behind the curtain. They'll just become another kill tally on the hull of my ship.

In my opinion, the sign of the Iconians becoming a physical enemy will be towards the end of the game's life.
    That or we'll find out that the Iconians aren't the worst race in the universe, just the worst in this galaxy....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xablis wrote: »
    All I have to say about the undine battlezone (and the 2 undine queued events) after spending several hours with them on tribble is that they are all quite boring. I am really hoping that the 1 FE will have a lot more thought and effort put into it than these other "activities", which I really do not see myself grinding at all. If these 3 are the only way to grind out the undine rep, that just is not going to happen this time around.

Now that I'm already going to have more reputation powers than I'll have slots for on every character on the account, I'm likely to just sit this one out as well. I'll check back when there are Dev Blogs about the expansion later on.
  • ghobepongghobepong Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Voth Zone [aka the area controlled by the Voth (similar to the area controled by allied forces and the contested zone) aka the area marked on the Dyson Sphere's map on the far East as "Voth Zone" aka "the Zone that was not released"], has been infiltrated by the Undine, thus becoming the Undine Battlezone.

This is the "Voth Zone," but the Voth have lost control of it to the Undine.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Okay Mr. Branflakes,

You just explained how the Undine come into the picture. But exactly how in the "Overall Backstory" the Undine itself managed to take over the Voth Battlezone and of course now claim it in game as "Undine Battlezone". Honestly, in my personal opinion? I really to be honest don't see something new here going on. "Instead" well..................to be on the level the writers for this game just decided to simply change flavors of the Dyson Sphere story arc to make the whole Season 8 cheaply for company cost, and for all intense purposes that is. Make the player community assume that the developers and writers really worked hard on making Season 9 new and improved. Now you might hate me for asking this but, are you sure this isn't the same replacement writers that were used after the primary writing staff went on strike that was working on "Star Trek: Enterprise"? Cause if so? I am really seeing a major pattern here between the output on a marketing product that Cryptic & Perfectworld are doing that really mirror the writing styles and marketing styles that Paramount used way back in the day to market Enterprise. Just lipstick the thing on a pig and no one will know. Yeah, Ray Stevens once said,

"You voted for Obama Care. We're going to vote you out of there. For We the People have awaken to your tricks."

Seriously does Perfectworld think we're that bland and daft? Highly illogical if you ask me coming from a Star Trek Fan/Gamer Fan as well.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ghobepong wrote: »
    Okay Mr. Branflakes,

You just explained how the Undine come into the picture. But exactly how in the "Overall Backstory" the Undine itself managed to take over the Voth Battlezone and of course now claim it in game as "Undine Battlezone". Honestly, in my personal opinion? I really to be honest don't see something new here going on. "Instead" well..................to be on the level the writers for this game just decided to simply change flavors of the Dyson Sphere story arc to make the whole Season 8 cheaply for company cost, and for all intense purposes that is. Make the player community assume that the developers and writers really worked hard on making Season 9 new and improved. Now you might hate me for asking this but, are you sure this isn't the same replacement writers that were used after the primary writing staff went on strike that was working on "Star Trek: Enterprise"? Cause if so? I am really seeing a major pattern here between the output on a marketing product that Cryptic & Perfectworld are doing that really mirror the writing styles and marketing styles that Paramount used way back in the day to market Enterprise. Just lipstick the thing on a pig and no one will know. Yeah, Ray Stevens once said,

"You voted for Obama Care. We're going to vote you out of there. For We the People have awaken to your tricks."

Seriously does Perfectworld think we're that bland and daft? Highly illogical if you ask me coming from a Star Trek Fan/Gamer Fan as well.

I honestly have no idea what your point is here.
    Cryptic's wriiting is debatable. But what's wrong with the Undine taking over a territory from the Voth? "A Step Between Stars" was a prologue for this.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That or we'll find out that the Iconians aren't the worst race in the universe, just the worst in this galaxy....

The funny thing is, we still don't know if it is actually the Iconians doing all this or just someone using their technology and pretending to be them. I still want an Iconian BOFF either way though. :D
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Will there be another ground battlezone as well? I don't like the backstory of the whole sphere thing and the aestethics are not to my liking, but the ground battlezone mechanics are fun and allow us to use our BOFFs in ground missions for a change.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kimony wrote: »
    Soooo, this is the Voth contested space zone mission (that nobody hardly bothered to play)?... Now with MORE Undine! Capture points to bring out the boss ships?

Enjoy that "NEW" content everyone! LOL!!

:rolleyes:

no, this wasnt the "contested" zone, this is the "voth zone" we could never get into.... because surprise, the undine blew it to hell.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Uh... they never said it was the Contested Zone.

They were basically saying that the 'Undine Space Battlezone' doesn't sound any different in how it works than the Contested Space Adventure Zone's 'Capture all the towers Towers and the Voth dreadnoughts appear' set-up (which, in turn, isn't too different from the VGBz's 'capture enough points and the T-Rex's appear at the Omega Silos'), in other words that they seemed to have copied the Contested Zone's mechanics to create the USBz.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • ghobepongghobepong Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea what your point is here.
    Cryptic's wriiting is debatable. But what's wrong with the Undine taking over a territory from the Voth? "A Step Between Stars" was a prologue for this.

The problem is yes they explained the prologue of how the Undine are making a comeback into the situation with the Dyson Sphere story line in "A Step Between the Stars". However WHAT IS THE POINT "YOU" ARE MAKING HERE?

"The Point" you inquire about is the fact how instead of simply creating something even more original to a storyline in adding to it. They simply give it a simple "makeup job". If you read the blogs that even Branflakes explains about that the Undine "infiltrated" the Voth Battlezones and suddenly now control those regions. Okay we saw the Undine ships come into the picture. But it isn't just that simple the Voth as a whole were simply that overruned or forced to retreat by that simple infiltration. The Voth in Season 8 are in full force and at the same time too the very area that they warped into was a second Dyson Sphere. Not the Solanae Dyson Sphere. Yes because of the incident that happened in "A Step Between the Stars" it did outline that it now created a gateway that the Undine could travel through into our space . However, it never fully outline the following.

1. Which Dyson Sphere they did try or succeed in infiltrating in taking over. Solane? Or the other.

2. Just how large was this shapeshifter cell was in infiltrating the Voth Taskforce that it finally was able to take over the Battlezone.

3. Why in the world did the developers itself decide to introduce the Undine into the Battlezone "technically speaking" instead of adding on to the Voth as a foe.

Now I understand is this is all a bit difficult for you to understand in getting the "point". But hey I also understand if some things for you are difficult to keep up on also. BRILLIANT!
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is there going to be ANY solo missions or at least like the Voth BZ? I thought they were moving away from the queues and now we have nothing but for S9. New Romulus, Defera, Voth Zones all pretty linear gameplay. Why the step back?
    The Space BZ can be soloable. The enemies scale with the amount of player ships in any given area of the map.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • keltornkeltorn Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Space battlezone sounds great. Hopefully we will be able to have some pretty massive battles. The ground battlezone was a big improvement over the rest of the ground content but I prefer to stay in my ship and now I can.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    There is no ground, only a space zone.

Also, the space zone (unlike the Voth ground zone) sucks for rewards....

I'll be avoiding this like the plague then. The ground zone for the Voth was the only way I was able to get the Dyson rep up, anything else is moving backwards in design imo considering that the entire older set of reputations are just crazy stupid in how long it takes to get any kind of marks. Not impressed by the mechanics sorry. Now if season 9.5 revamped how all of the reputations worked as far as matching how they did the Voth ground or actually improving the marks you get for the missions (ahem cough Borg Deferi) then that would be cause to celebrate because then people with multiple alts would be able to catch up easily.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    The space battlezone is the easy way to get marks for the daily reputation. That being said, it is yet another annoying grind whose only purpose is to keep us hooked to it for 40 grueling days. If the daily assignment had a 12 or 8 hour cooldown instead of 20, it would actually lessen the grind feel significantly.

On another note, where the heck is the 3rd tower for the 3 towers accolade? I thought the new zone in the Sphere had the tower?
  • captainkirk300captainkirk300 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is cute. I rather deal with the real issue which is.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1063221

We knew about the third zone already. I think this much like a distraction.
    You must admit that they did make up for that TRIBBLE up with the kit revamp-- At least for me