test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
System Designer Jeff "AdjudicatorHawk" Hamilton shares some of the new changes to Reputation Powers in this entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy

Update: Additional information has been added to the OP Blog Post.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Whoa, nerf bat.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    me likey, but ... oh boy this will be a good thread

edit--I think this is an important first step towards getting power under control. The power band is simply too wide at end-game. PVE content cannot be designed around median players when the power band is so wide, and PVP suffers from newbies getting steamrolled and never coming back. And as some people have pointed out, the buffed powers mean that this isn't really doing anything to roll back the power creep at all, since people with the desirable reps will be hitting even harder relative to fresh 50. But, it is putting a cap on future creep, and that is an important first step. I sincerely hope they dial it down more later. The power band needs to be radically compressed to have any hope of designing content that is suitable for a wide range of players.
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm...

...completely OK with this. In the short run, it'll hurt, but the individual buffs to the abilities along with forcing us to make a choice rather than runaway power creep is rather welcome in my opinion.

Also, replacing Rotating Weapon Frequency with a trait that's actually useful against non-Borg or when using Task Force Omega equipment is completely welcome.
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, they spend time messing around with stuff we dont really want them to change, bring out stuff big chunks of the player base have reviled the idea of in the past, and ignore glaring bugs and stuff players actually want.

So business as usual then.

And seriously, if we dont find the imabalance too much at the moment, why on earth would you HALVE the amount of powers compared to what we have now, idiotic.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Wow, so we have to choose what powers to take into a battle. Not sure what the reaction on this is gonna be. It will definitely lower the power creep.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Interesting stuff in that blog, and it's doubly interesting that the "respec" will be free (one question on that: is that free forever, or free for the first time you want to respec?).

Giving players a choice is a good thing. Thanks for the change anyway.
    Whoa, nerf bat.
    Really? where do you see this happening? It's a change, not a "nerf." Changes don't automatically mean a "nerf," you know.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Probably needed, considering the rate at which we're gaining reps... Cautious optimism.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Interesting stuff in that blog, and it's doubly interesting that the "respec" will be free (one question on that: is that free forever, or free for the first time you want to respec?).

Yeah but when that choice is, Yeah you have to lose half the stuff you have, thats not so wonderful is it.

And something else I thought of, this is going to seriously TRIBBLE Nukara unless I missed something amazing with a power there, people were already making it an afterthought to other reputations, and now with limiting us to the equivilent of 2 reps worth of powers, the dilithium for it isnt worth the cost or effort of getting the rep alone.
  • Options
    eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Wow ... that's a pretty big nerf for every player who has maxed out all reputation trees. However, let me guess, there will be fleet holdings in the near future in which you will sell us additional reputation trait slots for a hefty fee and an abysmal grind?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I am waiting for someone to rage over this XD.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Well, it says "For free, anytime out of combat", so this is free forever thing
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I appreciate how the Devs are open to 'wait and see' how the test results go, and the general concept here is ok by me.

I think this is for the best, if a bit of an adjustment.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sensible decision, to limit the number of passives you can have at a time.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yea passives get respecs for free. What about the activatable powers?

oh well

This is gonna be good.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I am waiting for someone to rage over this XD.
    Few already have. They think it's a "nerf" or that you lose stuff that you have and you won't ever get back...
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    whatinblueblazeswhatinblueblazes Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This seems like a good change. Will these trait selections be remembered by the loadouts feature?
  • Options
    zardonfarzardonfar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The idea is good.. If it was implemented with the second Reputation.. Now that we have four Reputation, you are punishing the players who have been using this setup since it came out.

Either x4 all the bonuses or allow 8 passive traits for Space/Ground....

But just like past nerfs, I'm sure I'm just speaking into the wind....
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yea passives get respecs for free. What about the activatable powers?

oh well

This is gonna be good.

Activatable powers are respec'ed for free as well - we just don't have that many of them yet, so it's less of a big deal for them.

*braces for impact*
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Maybe we won't steamroll stuff so much now.
  • Options
    ngonorrheangonorrhea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This seems like a good change. Will these trait selections be remembered by the loadouts feature?

That's actually a good point to bring up.

Having these in slot loadouts would lessen the hassle, and allow for one to pre-select traits for specific situations.....
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Few already have. They think it's a "nerf" or that you lose stuff that you have and you won't ever get back...

Well technically it is a nerf, we currently have 4 reps at 4 passives each thats 16 passives. After this we get 8 passives, so its a 50 percent nerf. as of now any way.

Cool news thanks Hawk!
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Whoa, nerf bat.

Kind of, kind of not. We're improving almost every single Rep power across the board from a PvE standpoint, bringing them up to the new standard of "How strong should a Reputation Trait power be?" You will have fewer powers now, but each of them will be more impactful than individual powers were before.
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This seems like a good way to stop people from caring about reputation or constantly playing the game.

On one hand I like it, of course the system wasn't infinitely scalable, but I thought it would just stop getting iterations when a plateau was reached. On the other I'm pretty upset after all the time I put into getting these passives. This won't stop people from putting high favor on certain reputation traits, it might even make it easier.
  • Options
    tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    guess the reputation system isn't working as intended.
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    SHIELDS UP! NERF ALERT!!!!!!!

Why 4 per space/ground? Why not 6? Or 8?

Guys - this is horrible - excellent way to discourage me - or anyone - to grind. :mad:

"The rep system isn't infinitely scalable"...

THEN STOP MAKE US DO THEM! STOP MAKING THEM FFS!!!
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Really? where do you see this happening? It's a change, not a "nerf." Changes don't automatically mean a "nerf," you know.

Ships had 8 passives. Now they'll have 4 passives. I'm not sure what else you'd call that. You may like the new setup, but that doesn't change that it is a nerf.
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Kind of, kind of not. We're improving almost every single Rep power across the board from a PvE standpoint, bringing them up to the new standard of "How strong should a Reputation Trait power be?" You will have fewer powers now, but each of them will be more impactful than individual powers were before.

I think where the "nerf" comes in, is when the Undine Rep is finally introduced (which we know is coming). Then you'll have a 5th Reputation track, with 4 additional space passives, 4 additional ground passives, and 1 additional Active Power. And still only be able to slot 4 powers, 4 ground passives and 4 space passives.

Less power creep is good for everyone imho.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tehjonel wrote: »
    guess the reputation system isn't working as intended.

It's just not infinitely scalable. As I pointed out in the blog, if we had 100 reps in the current live setup, the difference in performance between a fresh 50 and a "complete" 50 would be so immense they wouldn't fit in the same proverbial room.
  • Options
    commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Questions: Are the tier 5 abilities the Active powers mentioned? Is there any change to those?

Are reputation specs saved with our ship load ours going forwards?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Maybe we won't steamroll stuff so much now.

Considering you can "steamroll" most of the content with a lvl 50 in MkXI gear with no rep at all dont see how it makes the blindest bit of difference.

So you mean you fiddle about with it, still end up with a system where a "best spec" will be found, make some of the reps pointless for anyone to even bother with (seriously none of my new toons need to touch Nukara now) and if you tune powers up but knock down the numbers we take, you end up with surely the same level of power we already have anyway, so what was the point.
This discussion has been closed.