test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ships had 8 passives. Now they'll have 4 passives. I'm not sure what else you'd call that. You may like the new setup, but that doesn't change that it is a nerf.

If you had 8 nickels before, and now you have 4 dimes, is that a nerf because you have half as many coins?
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • bclark09bclark09 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just so I'm clear here...we bust our butts grinding out the reputation system abilities because we're told "hey, you'll get this great gear and awesome abilities!" only then a year later you come back and say "too much awesome-sauce, we're taking it back!"

I'm sorry, but a lack of planning on your part should not constitute a huge nerf for the player base. It should have been clear from the very beginning that additional reputation systems would introduce this problem and it should have been planned out accordingly. Instead we get the usual knee-jerk reaction of nerfing anything worth having into oblivion. Having all the benefits of the reputation system should be a badge of bragging/honor/too much time for those who actually take the time, effort, & resources to rep up all the tiers. Instead our ultimate reward for that effort is a slap in the face and a revocation of what we've achieved in the game.

Thanks for nothing. Again.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well technically it is a nerf, we currently have 4 reps at 4 passives each thats 16 passives. After this we get 8 passives, so its a 50 percent nerf. as of now any way.

Cool news thanks Hawk!
    You did see what the powers are? Take Deadly Aim for example. At the moment, it gives a tactical player 10% Critical Hit Chance. Come season 9, it'll be 20% Critical Hit chance. Is that a "nerf"? The other stuff are getting increases as well.

The one change that I think may not be as popular is the Omega Graviton Pulse Module, since it replaces the Rotating Weapons Frequency power.

All in all, the abilities themselves aren't getting a "nerf" at all.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Kind of, kind of not. We're improving almost every single Rep power across the board from a PvE standpoint, bringing them up to the new standard of "How strong should a Reputation Trait power be?" You will have fewer powers now, but each of them will be more impactful than individual powers were before.

In my experience, 5% CritH > 10% additional shields on ground combat. By a LONG shot. Seriously, 15-20% AT LEAST to compensate.
  • paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's just not infinitely scalable. As I pointed out in the blog, if we had 100 reps in the current live setup, the difference in performance between a fresh 50 and a "complete" 50 would be so immense they wouldn't fit in the same proverbial room.

So why not just cap it at the numbers people already have, the rest of it seems pointless fiddling that could have been spent on other things.
  • kurtzroykurtzroy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I guess this is a good and bad thing. Sucks we grinded all that TRIBBLE just to have a huge limit on its use. But the good thing is since most rep gear sucks and new powers will be subpar no reason to grind the rep if it isnt up to snuff.
  • sassycountersassycounter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    im going to miss my t5 abilities. :(
  • kevaldtkevaldt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Anyone trying to defend this by saying it's not a nerf is an idiot.

I grind for months to unlock these powers, spending millions in resources and now I'm gonna be limited in my use of them, best bring down the cost of leveling up.

Also, instead of forced to choose between 2 I get the whole list and choose from that what I want.

Until these 2 items are added, this change is a slap in the face to those of us who have put the time in.
    [SIGPIC]InGame - @Darth_Tauri[/SIGPIC]
    Joined - 9/2011
    "You Best Make Peace With Your Dear & Fluffy Lord" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    One little thing.
    The "Placate" effect of the Romulan Tier 4 Space ability has been replaced with "Weapons Offline"
    Base duration of this effect has been increased from 2sec to 4sec
    This debuff is now cleansed by Engineering Team instead of Science Team

If the rest of the ability is left as-is (20% chance to weapons offline) and with the extra crit chance you've added on top of the one already available (specially for Romulans), someone could just sit there and crit at you and the target's weapons would just the offline all the time.
    edited March 2014
    Questions: Are the tier 5 abilities the Active powers mentioned? Is there any change to those?

Are reputation specs saved with our ship load ours going forwards?

There are four slots for active powers. When Season 9 goes live, the maximum number of active players that a player will have earned before the launch is 4, so nobody will see a decrease in number of powers with regards to actives off the bat. As we make more reputations in the future, if there are other active powers you'd rather have for a given build, you'll want to earn those to slot them in.
    edited March 2014
    You did see what the powers are? Take Deadly Aim for example. At the moment, it gives a tactical player 10% Critical Hit Chance. Come season 9, it'll be 20% Critical Hit chance. Is that a "nerf"? The other stuff are getting increases as well.

The one change that I think may not be as popular is the Omega Graviton Pulse Module, since it replaces the Rotating Weapons Frequency power.

All in all, the abilities themselves aren't getting a "nerf" at all.

No, they get improved you just get to take only half, so in the ends, whats the point ?
  • yahtzeemanyahtzeeman Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I do like the idea of leveling the power field a bit, and this certainly does sound like it lets you customize your abilities more- which is nice. This is about giving players more flexibility and choice, which I think is always better than raw power since you can re-focus your power based on your role. If you wanna fly a different kind of ship, you might want different kinds of bonuses, like changing from DPS to more tank.

+1 Cryptic, though maybe you should work and shoring up your existing content rather than implementing new stuff.
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you had 8 nickels before, and now you have 4 dimes, is that a nerf because you have half as many coins?

great response

thank you for bring some balance
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well I don't like it.

But if thats means that we continue with the vertical progression the reputation is INSTEAD of the nightmare of a horizontal progression which a raised level cap would be I can live with that...
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Why? You got 4 Active Powers right now. After Season 9, you can still slot 4 Active Powers. What it comes down to, is if you want the 4 powers you have now, or replace one of them, with the new "Undine Rep" Active Power.
    edited March 2014

No you wont
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,151 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Will these traits stay with whatever I pick until I decide to change them or will they drop out at X time?
    zx2t8tuj4i10.png
    Thank you for the Typhoon!
  • trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well at least I now have no reason to do the new rep and complete half the trait lacking reps on my alts..

Aweswome :P
    edited March 2014
    kevaldt wrote: »
    Also, instead of forced to choose between 2 I get the whole list and choose from that what I want.

This is how it works. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the blog. If you've unlocked all rep tiers in New Romulus, Nukara, Omega, and Dyson reputations, you'll be able to choose any of the powers in those reps to slot into your power slots.
    edited March 2014

That isn't even close to the point.

We had eight individual abilities, each that did their own unique thing, we now have four. The value of the abilities themselves have changed making them unequal to their previous counterparts. Try another analogy because that one falls flat on its face.
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2014

If that was all it is, then perhaps not.

But we are limited to the amount of coins, then yes! :confused:
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *queue backlash from the player community in 3...2...1...*
    edited March 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Will these traits stay with whatever I pick until I decide to change them or will they drop out at X time?

They stay as whatever you've selected until you want to select something else, which you can do any time you're not in combat.
  • mav75mav75 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Only thing I don't like is changing the Tier 3 Task Force Omega power "Rotating Weapon Frequency" to "Omega Graviton Pulse Module". I liked the Rotating Weapon Frequency, it allowed me to go without getting a single piece of Task Force Omega ground gear.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's just not infinitely scalable. As I pointed out in the blog, if we had 100 reps in the current live setup, the difference in performance between a fresh 50 and a "complete" 50 would be so immense they wouldn't fit in the same proverbial room.

Then, as has been previously stated, simply stop making new Reputation trees.

I prefer the system as-is. There was no need to change this, the change indicates that you will be moving in a direction that I do not like, and the change will make my grinding for Nukara rep even more pointless.

If you really must do more reps, skip the rep powers and just use the rep tiers to gate the special gear. Sure, the PVP crowd will be upset because no new passives to hyperbuff with, but nobody else will care.

If you had left it as 8 ground, 8 space passives and 4 actives, and had skipped the individual power buff, then I would've been fine. As-is, I'm upset.

I prefer a wide array of small passives to a smaller array of large passives. The former forces and encourages me to play smart; the second encourages min-maxed builds over smart playing.

Just my 2 slips of latinum.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    *queue backlash from the player community in 3...2...1...*

I think you missed that by three pages.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    paspinall wrote: »
    No, they get improved you just get to take only half, so in the ends, whats the point ?
    You did see this part of the blog post, I hope (emphasized part):
    To that end, we’re changing how powers are selected – you can now change your selection of passive Reputation Traits for free, any time you’re out of combat
    That's the point right there. you can still choose the powers you want, even choose a different power if you feel you want something diffierent... That's a good thing.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Will we ever get our actual Shield Regen number listed on the ship paperdoll?
    edited March 2014

But we are limited to the amount of coins, then yes! :confused:

/qft

This. So very much this.
  • schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Excellent change, soon further reputations won't offer anything and will be easily ignorable.
This discussion has been closed.