test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #3: Reputation System Redesign (Updated OP)

Comments

• Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I know having to buy all the devices and commodities to fill projects were a pain, but I kind of liked the idea. It was a good EC sink, and at the same time also gives value to people that doff to gain commodities or who own a Tuffli or Suliban freighter.

Lots of inflation in the game right now, we need more EC sinks if this goes away, I doubt the ec costs for the projects will be comparable to the ec lazy players lost when they replicate all the stuff to fill projects.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Apart from the removable of Commendations I like it. I really like the Dyson Commendations it made the grind not feel like a grind so much. It was enjoyable to do than to think oh great another grind to get abc gear. That is my only problem in all this, the removable of those commendation marks.

so wat happens to the Mk X or XI Borg set that we already have...will they be upgraded to Mk XII

That would be nice, but unlikely, most of my characters have the Mk XI from the pre-S7 days.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Apart from the removable of Commendations I like it. I really like the Dyson Commendations it made the grind not feel like a grind so much. It was enjoyable to do than to think oh great another grind to get abc gear. That is my only problem in all this, the removable of those commendation marks.

That's the point of the bonus marks. If I read this right - First content for that reputation system you do a day you get all the marks you need to complete it right then and there (and with some like the Dyson or Omega systems, extras putting you ahead). You'll still only be doing the same amount of content, just sans an extra currency.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not sure if I like it or not. We'll have to see.
  • Options
    captaintpolcaptaintpol Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    captsol wrote: »
    Hey, what's happening to the accolades that were attached to collecting some of the older sets? E.G. Mk X and MK XI MACO sets awarded MACO Recruit and MACO Veteran, for example. Will characters who don't yet have those sets be unable to get those accolades with the items being retired?

agreed the people that want the accolades what about us
    (STO)
    Matriarch of Banished Orion Girls. Neela D'tan
    @captaintpol (with many alts)
    May we sail and have fun always and forever. LLAP

(PC version NW)
    Arwen@captaintpol TR - Tully's of RiverRun
    Mai Kelly DC-Tully's of RiverRun
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Sansa Stark CW- Team Fencebane
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Arwen@Admiral Jazdia TR- Team Fenebane
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    agreed the people that want the accolades what about us

This was already answered several pages back: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=15816981#post15816981

Please, everyone... when perusing a very large thread such as this one, and you have questions, take a second to look through the Dev Tracker to see if an answer has already surfaced.

Dev Tracker Link

*note: You must be logged into the forums to use that link
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I liked buying the Mk X ground sets on new characters so I could (easily) get them the optional accolades long before T5. Then I could just go straight to the Type 3 costume unlock and call it quits.

That'll be a little bit harder to do without an instant remod, but meh, I'll live.

Edit: here's a thought: how about adding a good remodulator device (faster than the Fractal) as a T1 Omega equipment requisition project? With some great non-Omega ground sets (Dyson, etc) that's got to be something people would use.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This was already answered several pages back: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=15816981#post15816981

Please, everyone... when perusing a very large thread such as this one, and you have questions, take a second to look through the Dev Tracker to see if an answer has already surfaced.

Dev Tracker Link

*note: You must be logged into the forums to use that link

Fair do Bort, but there was a follow-up by me, ill reiterate it.

Since the MkXII accolades require completion of the X/XI, and there is a lot of cross-accolade required to obtain the finals, this is a loss of about 8 player titles (from set completions as well as the master completions for optional stfs + gear) and 12 or so actual accolades if they arent re-tooled in some manner.

I love the change to only MK XII gear but as an accolade collector it does seem a bit dicey to remove one of the major accolade trees within the game. I dont think the playerbase will respond very kindly to just completely deprecating the whole thing, not to mention most of the current uniform/costume options are directly tied into the progression through maco/omega by completing optionals and collecting set pieces.

I do hope this is seriously addressed and a solution is found that doesnt completely gut the Maco/Omega accolade hunter gameplay. It might have a very very negative impact on ground ESTF new bloods as well as increase costs substantially for outfitting boffs if we "must" purchase mk12 omega/adapted for them.

Just a few points to think about. Otherwise the changes are rather welcome, its just how Maco/Omega is setup and titles/achievements are affected is all.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    kamikazi2142kamikazi2142 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.

Technically, its correct as the PWE account merger and PWE account control was forced upon you then.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As someone who found the dyson adventure zone laggy and uninteresting, I very much enjoyed being able to stockpile commendations by running a queue a day, and then buying a week's worth with the accumulated marks.

I passively ground out all the way to tier 5 dyson like that, only bothered grinding for marks for equipment once I got to tier 5.

I don't hate this new system, it sounds better than the precurser, but I'm not excited either. I'll give it a wary try on my main for the new rep.

This has likely sealed the fate of my alts to never achieve tier 5 reputations though. Or even tier 1. Especially if these reps are going to keep being built more around adventure zones and less around the story like the original borg/omega rep.
  • Options
    ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Borticus, or any other dev reading this:

Please PLEASE address the expertise concern many of us have, especially for our newer characters.

Personally, I'd like one or more of the following:

-Expertise costs removed from Daily project.
    -LARGE expertise costs such as the 32-64k for set pieces removed.
    -Reinstatement of the old Mirror event, or a similar easy and reliable large scale expertise source.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ruinsfate wrote: »
    Borticus, or any other dev reading this:

Please PLEASE address the expertise concern many of us have, especially for our newer characters.

Personally, I'd like one or more of the following:

-Expertise costs removed from Daily project.
    -LARGE expertise costs such as the 32-64k for set pieces removed.
    -Reinstatement of the old Mirror event, or a similar easy and reliable large scale expertise source.

SB 24.

Doffing.

Rerunning episodes.

There. Easy XP.

I actually run a net XP gain even when grinding rep, and I've never used a purchased XP bonus in my entire time in this game.
  • Options
    ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    SB 24.
    Incredibly tedious.
    Doffing.
    Viable, but not every one's cup of tea, and if you don't send a new char a lot of good doffs, they'll have a hard time.
    Rerunning episodes.
    2-4k for half an hour or more's work? No, not efficient at all, especially with the other demands on time this game has.
    There. Easy XP.

I actually run a net XP gain even when grinding rep, and I've never used a purchased XP bonus in my entire time in this game.

That might be the case for you, but even with doffing and catching events, I still had to run old mirror to keep my two alts at the time up to pace on rep. I only get a few hours or less a day playing, and have ended up with several characters. There's only so much time for me to play, I can't just sit and rerun the same story mission for hours for a pittance of xp.

Especially as an officer in a fleet, trying to keep the holdings going, keep members engaged, run the event d'jour (new mirror, I'm glaring at you), run fleet groups for stfs/epohh tagging...

So yeah, story missions are not an option, and a new character in SB24 will just waste my time since the other rewards are pathetic, and I'd be messing up my fleeties who DO do it for the items rewards by competing with them.

Many of my fleet worry about the expertise costs for their newer characters. It IS an issue.
  • Options
    jhymesbajhymesba Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sounds pretty good! No more commodities! Seriously, those were easily the worst part of the old reputation system. Shame this isn't going to go live until season 9, I'd love it for my alts right now.

To be honest I'm not a real fan of the hourly projects. I'd rather have two dailies, it's more convinent, I can "set and forget" my reputations on days I'm busy. With hourly, I feel compelled to leave the game run in the background, which is a distraction (I can't count the number of times I've gone in the do DOFFs and suddenly it's two hours later :o ).

Also, the removal of Mk X and XI items is a bit of a disappointment. If I did decide to pick rep gear up for my alts, I was definitely going to take an economical route with them. I realize the majority of players probably just view the lower mark stuff as a waste, and I did at first too, but you really don't need it for most of this game's content.

This screams for a WebApp or Android/iPhone/WinMob App that allows you to mess with reputation and boffs....

VERY useful at work. Doubly so if it would pop up notifications ("your missions have completed!")
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jhymesba wrote: »
    This screams for a WebApp or Android/iPhone/WinMob App that allows you to mess with reputation and boffs....

VERY useful at work. Doubly so if it would pop up notifications ("your missions have completed!")

Ah ... have you seen a game called Neverwinter? It's made by a familiar Developer, and they happen to have a web portal ... And on this web portal, you can send Bo ... sorry, 'Companions" on missions to gain XP and you can also queue up Crafting missions as well ... All without logging in to the game ... Hmmm
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    SB 24.

Doffing.

Rerunning episodes.

There. Easy XP.

What the other guy said, x1000. In a given week, I am at the office for 40 hours, sometimes more. STO is something I can do for 30m to an hour, and that's if I don't have classwork. Grinding XP through time-consuming things, in a way that requires you to log into the full game (VERY hard at the office, let me tell you...) is not viable.

Mind you, I get that STO can't make it TOO easy to grind XP, lest it upset the balance for hard-core players, but I would like to see some nods made to casual gamers. Maybe an XP bonus pool that builds up while you're offline, so you can earn big XP boosts (and rep boosts, etc), if you happen to be away from the game for a while.

As I mentioned in another reply, I'd love to see a STO client that only features DOFF, Rep, and equipment interfaces. Something where I can slot missions, assign resources (people, money, items, etc), and so on. If I can grind for a while on Saturday, then I can have something that occasionally distracts me from my work during the week (I find being distracted from work OK as it gives me a fresh perspective, but having the full STO client available is 1) a violation of work policy, and 2) too much of a temptation to jump in and actually do things)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Ah ... have you seen a game called Neverwinter? It's made by a familiar Developer, and they happen to have a web portal ... And on this web portal, you can send Bo ... sorry, 'Companions" on missions to gain XP and you can also queue up Crafting missions as well ... All without logging in to the game ... Hmmm

Would be great if Cryptic could learn from this ... other developer of this game Neverwinter and implement this for STO. :D:D:D (Why yes, that is sarcasm and mirth you detect in that message. Why do you ask? :D )
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Incredibly tedious.
    So are endless Borg STFs.
    Viable, but not every one's cup of tea, and if you don't send a new char a lot of good doffs, they'll have a hard time.
    Just grind doffs, donate the white ones to your fleet, grind more at the doff officer on Mol'Rihan or ESD or Qo'noS.
    2-4k for half an hour or more's work? No, not efficient at all, especially with the other demands on time this game has.
    It works just fine for me.
    That might be the case for you, but even with doffing and catching events, I still had to run old mirror to keep my two alts at the time up to pace on rep. I only get a few hours or less a day playing, and have ended up with several characters. There's only so much time for me to play, I can't just sit and rerun the same story mission for hours for a pittance of xp.
    Then, pal, you're doing it wrong.

I've never had trouble. My main has something like a billion XP at this point. I clear out all fleet XP needs plus my rep with ease.

If I ever ran low, I'd just take a break from rep grinding and go farm XP with my time.
    Especially as an officer in a fleet, trying to keep the holdings going, keep members engaged, run the event d'jour (new mirror, I'm glaring at you), run fleet groups for stfs/epohh tagging...
    Well, I'm an officer in a fleet, and my duties are basically keeping people's promotions up to speed and keeping projects up. Our fleet is small and timezone-varied enough that we don't have big fleet events; fleet STF runs are basically me or one of the other officers taking some guys through Khitomer for the free boff or doing ISE in two minutes of PWNage.
    So yeah, story missions are not an option, and a new character in SB24 will just waste my time since the other rewards are pathetic, and I'd be messing up my fleeties who DO do it for the items rewards by competing with them.
    Just roll pass on all the loot.
    Many of my fleet worry about the expertise costs for their newer characters. It IS an issue.
    It's never been an issue for me, on any of my alts. I retrain my boffs with some regularity, contribute buckets of XP to fleet projects, and grind rep like most people, and I have never, ever run into a genuine XP shortage.
  • Options
    kitsune424kitsune424 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Commendations We Hardly Knew Ye

The Dyson Joint Command Reputation introduced a new kind of asset called Dyson Joint Command Commendations. After a bit of iteration, these commendations ended up being awarded whenever the player completed their first piece of Dyson Joint Command content. This asset was then put into the Dyson Joint Command daily experience project to award a large chunk of reputation XP.

Our intention with this new asset was to give players a daily reward for doing a single piece of content of their choice, which would ultimately grant a large reputation XP boost. So, essentially Commendations were intended to be a progression asset while Marks were intended to be an equipment purchasing asset. Ultimately, after a bit of data-mining, listening to player feedback, and experiencing the flow of the Dyson Joint Command first hand, we’ve decided to ditch Commendations entirely and keep things nice and simple. Reputations will have Marks as their single asset for XP projects, with certain Elite commodities (such as Borg Neural Processors and Voth Cybernetic Implants) remaining a necessity only for the most top-end gear projects.

Really? And WHO in this, or any other universe, besides the ones who prefer to brag how they have the good gear and the rest of us still don't--and the mirror universe--would this this is a good idea? I would really like to meet them and then knock them upside the head for their idiocy -.-
    Daily Bonus Marks

You might be thinking “Well, I liked Commendations” for one reason or another. Commendations did serve a purpose and we’re planning on introducing Daily Bonus Marks to replace them. Here’s how it will work:

Complete a task that would award reputation marks
    Earn Daily Bonus Marks and the normal rewards for that task

It’s that simple. You can only earn Daily Bonus Marks for each reputation once per day though. At the time of writing this, the amount of Bonus Marks awarded is planned to be equal to the number of marks required to complete a 1 Daily and 1 Hourly reputation XP project plus 10 Marks. For example:

Daily XP projects require 30 Marks
    Hourly XP projects require 15 Marks
    So, the Daily Bonus Mark pack will award 55 Marks (30+15+10)

so instead of making strides in improving you doing the opposite?
    Daily

These projects can be completed once every 20 hours and cost a moderate amount of Marks, Expertise and Energy Credits. They immediately award an equipment reward pack upon filling all of the “buckets” in the reputation project window and after the project is completed, and claimed, they award a large amount of reputation XP and a bit of Dilithium. The vast majority of your reputation XP will come from the completion of these projects. It’s important to note that the cost of these projects is constant, meaning they do not increase tier over tier. So, the Mark input cost will be 30 at all tiers instead of 10 at tier I and 40 at tier IV for example.

Hourly

Hourly projects require 1 hour to complete and cost half as many Marks, Expertise and Energy Credits as Daily projects. They immediately award an equipment reward pack upon filling their “buckets” in the project window. An hour later the project will be completed and will award a small amount of reputation experience and Dilithium.

These hourly XP projects may be run a handful of times per day. Once that limit has been met, this project will be replaced by an hourly project that instead yields bonus Dilithium instead of reputation XP, in addition to the standard reward pack. There is no limit on how many times this bonus Dilithium project can be run.

OK nothing wrong there
    Equipment Projects

While the Dyson Joint Command reputation contained fewer equipment projects than older reputations, it only had Mk XII very rare gear. All older reputations have been reworked to do the same. No equipment projects had their tier requirements increased. They either remained the same or had the tier requirement reduced.

In addition to this the following equipment projects had their mark costs reduced:

Nukara Space Set mark cost reduced from 900 to 750.

Tier Upgrades

Another nice feature of the Dyson Joint Command reputation was that Tier upgrade projects only required 5 Marks and took 5 seconds to complete. This will also be rolled out to all other reputations. [...]

I can't say I disagree with this
    We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    it's the big wigs kitsune.
    Cryptic, are taking the fun out of the game, granted some people to want the Mk X and Mk XI gear but some of us A) don't want to wait for tier FIVE to complete a set
    and
    B) Use the Mk X or XI set to test and see if we even want to bust our butts for the Mk XII set or if it's junk.
    I for one am not wasting my time to earn a set that doesn't fit my playing style.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    SB 24.

Doffing.

Rerunning episodes.

There. Easy XP.

Add to that Defera Invasion Zone.

If I remember correctly I made something around 40k or so XP in a short amount of time.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    Since Holodeck is down and Tribble is up....

Let's see.... Mk XII VR set.... Deflector changed from +3.5% Stealth Value to +30 Starship Stealth. The big chance is the 3 set power. The Old 3 piece set power is now incorporated into the Shields itself:

• 10% chance hit by Directed Energy attacks grain +5% Maximum Shield Capacity for 30 sec (stacks up to 10)
    • Reduces Disruptor Damage to Shields by 20%

3 Piece set bonus is now:

Capacitance Transfer
    • Target's Self
    • 3 min recharge
    • Reduces Damage to Shields by 29.3% for 15 seconds.
    • Enhances all Energy Weapons to do the following once per firing cycle
    • -106 All Shields to foe
    • +106 All Shields to self
    • (Improved by Starship Flow Capacitors)
    • Note: The character I'm looking at has 0 Flow Capacitors skill. So that's the base value).

So basically. They kept everything plus we get a new 3 Piece set ability and -20% Disruptor Damage to Shield.
    Anti Disruptor shield?

I get it, that is strong against Klingons and Elachi. The sad thing is that by the time you would acquire the gear there would be no more Elachi to go head to head with outside of replays. Still nice.
    Cool.

I have to ask though: Are we going to get Omega Rep space weapons?
    Hmm, that's a good question. Those old weapons with the Borg Kinetic proc.
    bareel wrote: »
    You really thing the current borg ESTFs are going to still reward that much? I wager they will reward that with the daily bonus so more like 20 for basic completion, +15 for the optional, plus the bonus if it is the first time.

I hope I am wrong, I really do. But they have wanted to nerf those STF rewards for awhile and this 'first run bonus' might just get them enough good will to finally do it.

Which would be a good thing for the game overall, but doesn't mean I have to like it heh.

Actually they have already addressed that no mission rewards will be affected by this change. So you will be getting the full STF rewards that we currently recieve, plus once every 20 hours you'll receive the bonus 45 marks to do two rep projects at once. They've essentially converted the Commendation into 30 marks and given you an extra 15 marks while putting in a Exp and EC requirement.

Unfortunately you are correct, that there won't be a way to do a stockpile of commendation projects, on the other hand the Dyson's five day commendation project required 350 Dyson Marks, for five commendations. Under the new system, that 30x5, 150 marks for the same outcome, 5 projects of the big daily reputation project. Or two Elite STF runs for Omega.

The real concern isn't with the Omega rep, but rather the Nukara and Romulus rep.

Tau Dewa Patrol which is my preferred method of advancement in the Romulan rep drops 60 marks. Assuming that it would trigger the bonus marks which I assume it would, that is 105 Rom Marks for about 25-40 minutes of work roughly. Then maybe do Vault Ensnared for another 35 marks? (Fingers crossed that the project package will drop Romulan Disruptor space weapons....heck ground weapons too.) That would get you about 4 days.

Nukara is self explanatory, but in that case you can do Crystalline Entity Elite for about 100 Nukara marks.

That raises a question, when you do an event that rewards multiple types of marks will the bonus marks trigger only after you select what marks you want? Or will you just get bonus marks appropriate for that event, for instance if I do C Entity and select fleet marks would I still get the 45 Nukara marks?

It's not perfect, but it isn't horrible either.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    eatsmarteatsmart Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Could you please leave the omega rep lower mk gear in? The ground gear in particular should stay in. It makes no sense to only unlock gear tuned for fighting the borg after you've run out of the need for it... Picking the gear up in mk X format after 2-3 days, and using that gear for the next 20-30 while you level through the rep is very helpful.

The retro-stf space gear (aka assimilated set) is also handy as something you throw on to your ship as a starter set, and once you've unlocked xii you put the lower grade gear on your shuttle.

I dont see the problem with leaving these items in. The art assets are there, the items are already statted and coded.
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    it's the big wigs kitsune.
    Cryptic, are taking the fun out of the game, granted some people to want the Mk X and Mk XI gear but some of us A) don't want to wait for tier FIVE to complete a set
    and
    B) Use the Mk X or XI set to test and see if we even want to bust our butts for the Mk XII set or if it's junk.
    I for one am not wasting my time to earn a set that doesn't fit my playing style.

Apparently Cryptic forgot that they originally set up Normal STFs to have the Mk X and XI rewards and that people worked towards those set as their goal, not XII. And big wigs forgot they were the main ones telling us to STAY OUT OF ELITES!

Now we hear from these players who say we were silly to buy a Mk XI item, or to think that Elites aren't for everyone?? Doesn't make sense.

Remember this when the average joe player comes into your Elite STF and screws up optionals. DO NOT SAY A WORD ABOUT IT! Speak now or forever hold your peace! Cryptic both removed Normal Rewards and at the same time kept Elite requirements. It's not like people have a choice any more.
  • Options
    senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Uh... what planet are we on?

I talked to several dozen fleetmates--NO ONE disliked the Commendations. In fact, everyone liked them, and was hoping the system would apply retroactively to every other rep system.

It was dead simple--do ANYTHING and get your daily, then just play for fun to get marks.

And it avoided the main issue people have with Romulan and Nukura Rep--that there is NOTHING WORTH RUNNING COMPARED TO OMEGA.

Seriously--Romulan Rep is soul-crushingly bad compared to Omega. No Dilithium, the Dailies are obnoxious and long, the Space missions give truly pathetic rewards, the Ground area is the worst stereotypes about MMO grinding all rolled into one. The only truly viable ways to get Romulan marks were chasing around rabbits--and waiting WEEKS to actually get marks from them--or Mine Trap, which no one plays because you killed Bonus Marks events. Ooh, ooh, and the Red Alert which is broken/empty 80% of the time!

Nukura isn't quite so bad--Crystalline is popular, and you can grind several hundred on ground. But it's still not as varied, nor as often played.

So, you put in place a better system, then removed it. Why not just keep Commendations, and let people at max Rep turn them into Marks/Dilithium? I heart literally no one complain about Commendations--nothing but praise for the more streamlined, more rewarding Dyson rep. It WAS simpler, it WAS NOT confusing, and it let people actually enjoy the content, save Marks for gear, and be able to log in and finish Rep grind quickly if they didn't have time.

Removing them does... what? Sorry, I read and re-read that paragraph, and I can't find any actual reason for doing so. Commendations were better in every way. Commendations WERE "nice and simple", using marks for rep grind was/is obnoxious, slow, and frankly depressing (short Omega). I don't know which player feedback you were listening to, but it seems odd that none of the hundreds of people I talked to about it in the last several months had anything bad to say, yet you heard enough to mark it as needing rollback/revision.

Now, taking away Commodities and just using EC, Marks, and XP? Great.
    Adding equipment/dilithium rewards? Also great.

But unless somewhere in this mess are ELITE SPACE VARIANTS OF ROMULAN MISSIONS, that award marks and Dilithium on par with Omega (or at least close), you cane expect Romulan queues to remain dismal.

Everything after the first two sections is great--but losing Commendations is not an improvement in any way. Please reconsider.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The thing that I absolutely loved about advancing Dyson rep was not having to have large amounts of expertise points to advance it. I am a bit foggy on the description here, but it looks like things might be getting rough for us alt-a-holics if we go back to having EVERYTHING demand expertise points, and nothing like the old Mirror Universe incursions..
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    senselocke wrote: »
    Uh... what planet are we on?

I talked to several dozen fleetmates--NO ONE disliked the Commendations. In fact, everyone liked them, and was hoping the system would apply retroactively to every other rep system.

It was dead simple--do ANYTHING and get your daily, then just play for fun to get marks.

And it avoided the main issue people have with Romulan and Nukura Rep--that there is NOTHING WORTH RUNNING COMPARED TO OMEGA.

Seriously--Romulan Rep is soul-crushingly bad compared to Omega. No Dilithium, the Dailies are obnoxious and long, the Space missions give truly pathetic rewards, the Ground area is the worst stereotypes about MMO grinding all rolled into one. The only truly viable ways to get Romulan marks were chasing around rabbits--and waiting WEEKS to actually get marks from them--or Mine Trap, which no one plays because you killed Bonus Marks events. Ooh, ooh, and the Red Alert which is broken/empty 80% of the time!

Nukura isn't quite so bad--Crystalline is popular, and you can grind several hundred on ground. But it's still not as varied, nor as often played.

So, you put in place a better system, then removed it. Why not just keep Commendations, and let people at max Rep turn them into Marks/Dilithium? I heart literally no one complain about Commendations--nothing but praise for the more streamlined, more rewarding Dyson rep. It WAS simpler, it WAS NOT confusing, and it let people actually enjoy the content, save Marks for gear, and be able to log in and finish Rep grind quickly if they didn't have time.

Removing them does... what? Sorry, I read and re-read that paragraph, and I can't find any actual reason for doing so. Commendations were better in every way. Commendations WERE "nice and simple", using marks for rep grind was/is obnoxious, slow, and frankly depressing (short Omega). I don't know which player feedback you were listening to, but it seems odd that none of the hundreds of people I talked to about it in the last several months had anything bad to say, yet you heard enough to mark it as needing rollback/revision.

Now, taking away Commodities and just using EC, Marks, and XP? Great.
    Adding equipment/dilithium rewards? Also great.

But unless somewhere in this mess are ELITE SPACE VARIANTS OF ROMULAN MISSIONS, that award marks and Dilithium on par with Omega (or at least close), you cane expect Romulan queues to remain dismal.

Everything after the first two sections is great--but losing Commendations is not an improvement in any way. Please reconsider.

Concerning Dyson reputation there's really nothing changing at all. Instead of getting 1 Commendation you will now get enough Bonus Marks to fill in a daily and an hourly reputation project. No gain, no loss. They just removed yet another "currency".

Every other reputation actually becomes easier to fill in. Go to New Romulus once a day, complete only ONE task and you get enough marks for both reputation projects. The same is true for Nukara and Omega. For everybody who logs in once a day life becomes A LOT easier. For everybody else it stays exactly the same.
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    what a crock of TRIBBLE cryptic, and smirk, you need a good slap across the back of your head thinking you can speak on behalf of the majority of the player base, you guys must be irish as it seems when the majority speak you do the exact opposite.... heres cryptics thinking, hmm most are only using one dyson commendation per day to do their reps, No No No we wanted them to use all forms so that we can dry their e.c wells up by making em buy commodities and use their expertise as well as the marks, we made it too easy for em, bugger it, lets change all that and make em drain their e.c again.... thanks alot smegheads.....
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I dont really care cause all my chars are already at T5 on all reps but i had to comment on this one:
    "Others were more controversial, like the introduction of Commendations"

I'm quite sure noone had a problem with it except you cryptic guys yourself. I believe Gecko even stated that in an interview. Something about being to fast. The main reason for that btw wasnt the commendation but the battlezone itself with its loads of marks dil and implant rewards. Just saying.
  • Options
    senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    szim wrote: »
    Concerning Dyson reputation there's really nothing changing at all. Instead of getting 1 Commendation you will now get enough Bonus Marks to fill in a daily and an hourly reputation project. No gain, no loss. They just removed yet another "currency".

Every other reputation actually becomes easier to fill in. Go to New Romulus once a day, complete only ONE task and you get enough marks for both reputation projects. The same is true for Nukara and Omega. For everybody who logs in once a day life becomes A LOT easier. For everybody else it stays exactly the same.

No, that's not at all what was said. What was said is existing dailies will get you a bonus--unless I'm totally misreading this.

Tau Dewa Patrol is 35+ minutes, and boring. Everything else is worse. If you did ONE system, ONE time, and that popped the daily, I'd be fine.

But it'll stay the five systems. Doesn't fix the complete lack of hourly PvE Rom sources.

Commendations (one for a 10-15 min micromission and done) was simple, easy, and fast. Marks are not.