test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #3: Reputation System Redesign (Updated OP)

Comments

• Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is that remodulator instantaneous? Nope!

You're right its not. But I think 2 seconds is better than 5 seconds. The Instant-Remod is supposed to be a set bonus. If anything, gives people more reasons to go back to Defera.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    havam wrote: »
    care to elaborate on improved reman set?

Since Holodeck is down and Tribble is up....

Let's see.... Mk XII VR set.... Deflector changed from +3.5% Stealth Value to +30 Starship Stealth. The big chance is the 3 set power. The Old 3 piece set power is now incorporated into the Shields itself:

• 10% chance hit by Directed Energy attacks grain +5% Maximum Shield Capacity for 30 sec (stacks up to 10)
    • Reduces Disruptor Damage to Shields by 20%

3 Piece set bonus is now:

Capacitance Transfer
    • Target's Self
    • 3 min recharge
    • Reduces Damage to Shields by 29.3% for 15 seconds.
    • Enhances all Energy Weapons to do the following once per firing cycle
    • -106 All Shields to foe
    • +106 All Shields to self
    • (Improved by Starship Flow Capacitors)
    • Note: The character I'm looking at has 0 Flow Capacitors skill. So that's the base value).

So basically. They kept everything plus we get a new 3 Piece set ability and -20% Disruptor Damage to Shield.
  • Options
    gorngonzollagorngonzolla Member Posts: 172 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    wait what are ELITE MARKS?

Good question, sorry for the confusion. Elite Marks = Voth Cybernetic Implants and Borg Neural Processors.
  • Options
    gorngonzollagorngonzolla Member Posts: 172 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    I'm pretty sure the answer is "no" and this won't change to what it is now. Once you complete the tier 5 upgrade for a reputation, the XP projects are removed for good and you can no longer do them. The reward packs you get when completing the XP projects are things that become unlocked in the reputation store. So when you're tier 5, you'll be able to buy all items for dilithium from the store that you could get for free while leveling up your rep. Continuing to do the XP projects to get the rep store stuff completely free would defeat the purpose of the rep store. It would make it too easy to obtain those items. (The items unlock in the reputation store automatically with each tier you complete)

Edit: Here is a tip: The dilithium store discounts unlocked through your Dilithium Mine Fleet Holding *do* work for reputation stores, and yes this was intentional from the beginning. So that is a way to get rep store items at a permanent discount, as long as you're in a fleet with the discounts unlocked.

One thing you might want to know is that there is always an hourly bonus dilithium project you can complete at Tier 5 (the same one that replaces the XP hourly once you've done 3 of them). This gives a reward pack once per hour even at tier 5, but you'll still have to throw down some Marks, Energy Credits and Expertise. This project is available to all reputations.

Regards,
    Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Looks mostly good except ... Loosing commendations is not Alt friendly!

At least for me ... I don't have a lot of time to play each day, so the Dyson Commendation '5 pack" was very handy.

I could run a toon for the few hours I have, earn enough marks to get a "5 pack" of commendations, then I only needed to log in and cycle DoFF missions and the Rep Upgrade on that toon every 20 hrs or so. Rinse and repeat for each toon.

Now I'll have to run at least one mission each day on each Alt to get the same result, which equals less time on each toon, which equals longer level up on new/current alts, which equals less XP on each alt per day, which equals llloooonnngggeerrr grinds for each one ...

They did say that the standard reward marks aren't going away. Therefore, one trip to ISE yields 55 (daily bonus) + 60 (basic completion) - 115 (luck with optional). Each day needs 45 marks, so a lucky 170 yield keeps that toon in marks for, oh, 3 days easily, 4 if you had a couple marks in the bank...

Even the 55+60 "basic" completion reward yields 2 days of rep from the one trip, and on the third day you run it again and get another 3 days of marks (leftovers from the first batch)...

I suddenly see many alts hitting T5 Omega in the near future... :)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One thing you might want to know is that there is always an hourly bonus dilithium project you can complete at Tier 5 (the same one that replaces the XP hourly once you've done 3 of them). This gives a reward pack once per hour even at tier 5, but you'll still have to throw down some Marks, Energy Credits and Expertise. This project is available to all reputations.

Regards,
    Cool.

I have to ask though: Are we going to get Omega Rep space weapons?
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Regards,

Mr. Zeleski, I would like to tell you personally that I am extremely impressed with the degree of actually caring about player feedback that you have shown in this reputation overhaul. Thank you, from the deepest pits of my black and soot-stained heart.

Season 9 should be great, even though it looks meh from a story and FE standpoint. An end to the Fed-KDF war and a Rep overhaul will be well worth it.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    They did say that the standard reward marks aren't going away. Therefore, one trip to ISE yields 55 (daily bonus) + 60 (basic completion) - 115 (luck with optional). Each day needs 45 marks, so a lucky 170 yield keeps that toon in marks for, oh, 3 days easily, 4 if you had a couple marks in the bank...

Even the 55+60 "basic" completion reward yields 2 days of rep from the one trip, and on the third day you run it again and get another 3 days of marks (leftovers from the first batch)...

You really thing the current borg ESTFs are going to still reward that much? I wager they will reward that with the daily bonus so more like 20 for basic completion, +15 for the optional, plus the bonus if it is the first time.

I hope I am wrong, I really do. But they have wanted to nerf those STF rewards for awhile and this 'first run bonus' might just get them enough good will to finally do it.

Which would be a good thing for the game overall, but doesn't mean I have to like it heh.
  • Options
    bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Regards,

Wow..that will be great.:)
  • Options
    stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Awesome changes guys! Just wanted to say that. Looks really awesome! :D
  • Options
    sonulinu2sonulinu2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Wow, thank you Devs, this new Rep upgrade sounds like a wonderful and much needed improvement. I will, however, reserve final judgement until the definitive version is released in Holo. What really makes me happy is that I see a positive trend in your efforts to improve the game flow in many different facets. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Wrong.

Problem with the grind is not the rep grind, its the later "I need 3000 marks" grind.

Fortunately what you failed to mentioned is the Daily will not give a commendation but in exchange will give extra marks on top of the existing rewards as compensation, I not sure were they will be going with those extra marks but I assume minimum will be 30 marks since those are the cost of the 2500xp daily project.

Problem with equipment set projects are marks costs, Dilithium cost might hold back but at least that can be sidesteped with a degree as marks costs are rather step, people end up buying a (singular) set and only use it because time costs on acquiring more sets are simply excessive.
    Let's assume you play 1 ISE per day and get the optional every time (not a bad assumption at this point in the game). That's 120 base marks per day. The Daily only requires 30 marks; Net mark "profit" of 90. You do this for 40 days to get the Rep finished out. You get 3600 extra marks to buy stuff with.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited March 2014

What game are you playing???

I've never seen ISE reward 170 marks! ... Generally the average, if you have a reasonable run is ~90 in a pre-made or ~75 in a PuG ...

So it still means that I'll have to spend more time on each toon running missions on each one, more often ... It may not sound like a big thing for those with 6 ~10 hours a day to spend, but when you only have 1 ~ 2 hours a day, that 15~30 mins makes a HUGE difference ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Regards,

Oh. Thanks for letting us know. I assumed that there would be no project at tier 5 to continue getting the reward packs that give you a random item found in the reputation store. That's good to know. So instead of wasting dilithium to buy them in the rep store I can just keep grinding the hourly project to eventually get all the rep store items I want for practically free. :D
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Very good observation and question.

Once the MK X and MK XI space and ground gear are removed, what will motivate players to work through the reputation systems? Unless there is something to obtain, the purpose for working on the system would not exist.

Why stick around?

Not being able to build MK X & MK XI sets = No motivation to play through the new system.

I do not buy zen, so I get nothing in return.

No 'substantial' reward system = No money coming out of my pocket.

Game over.
    You do know that you don't have to do the equipment projects to get tiered in a Reputation, I hope? So, your "fear" is nullified just by that fact. The motivation of one person doesn't equal that of another person. You may find value in something that someone else may NOT see.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    spycho2spycho2 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Idk it sounds good to me. I just wonder some times if they are simplifying things too much. I mean I know every one wants to get to the end quicker and be the biggest and the baddest and the rep system right now is annoying, but once you get to the end and you are the biggest and baddest the games basically over. You play your toon for a good while then make another then play your klink and make a romulan, but then what. I'm not dissing this update I just think people shouldn't be so quick to embrace simplicity when the point of playing is "the journey" sorta speak. I would just ask the question, will this update cause me to plateau a character maybe too fast?
    The game still feels sorta like a campaign and bunch of mini games tied together by a really detailed lobby of a world. Its not really a game where you can pretend you are a member of the star trek universe as much as it is a series of generally unrelated instances and a campaign that no longer has to be played to level up. But in the end of the day I only play now for the company I keep so what ever works. But that's my opinion on the matter.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    eagledraco wrote: »
    Cryptic, my question is about Progression (Loss) of Mk XI Omega Sets.

I have characters with partially progressed Mk XI Space and Ground sets from Omega that were previously earned via Normal STF play, Pre-Reputation System. These characters are 1-2 items away from completing a XI Set such as Honor Guard Ground or M.A.C.O Space.

I quit the game, came back and planned on revisiting these characters to complete their XI sets via the Rep System. Elite STFs are outside my play range hence my progression towards XI sets.

With X & XI Omega Items being removed what will become of my progression towards completing these sets? How do I proceed without the ability to purchase the remainder of these sets?

Just need to point out that Infected Space Elite is a no-fail mission, so the idea of elite STFs being "outside your play range" is silly. It's really just a matter of you having a T5 ship of any kind, green Mk X+ equipment (a couple hundred thousand EC worth) and then going out and reading a guide on the mission (with the last part being optional if you don't mind people being mad at you in chat). There's really no excuse for not grinding the Omega rep and getting the Mk XII's there if you want them, it's the fastest and easiest of all of them.
  • Options
    anagrojanewayanagrojaneway Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jniebaum wrote: »
    Goodbye quick reputations. Hello 6 month grinds that make the game a boring job. :(

You didn't read what was actually written.

It's actually going to go just as fast, and, in fact, at least for Dyson Sphere, be even cheaper/easier to complete to Tier 5.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Very good observation and question.

Once the MK X and MK XI space and ground gear are removed, what will motivate players to work through the reputation systems? Unless there is something to obtain, the purpose for working on the system would not exist.

Why stick around?

Not being able to build MK X & MK XI sets = No motivation to play through the new system.

I do not buy zen, so I get nothing in return.

No 'substantial' reward system = No money coming out of my pocket.

Game over.

I don't get it.

They are just removing the lesser equipment that was redundant, and a waste of marks for most folks anyway since they just end up getting the better equipment once they get to a high enough level.

I don't see how that makes it any less motivating to work through the system.

FWIW, I've never bought the lower tier stuff because it seemed like a huge waste of marks that I could use to get to higher levels to get the better versions of that gear.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Exactly. As vets, you don't see the issue until you try to do reps on a toon that doesn't have that massive launch day expertise buildup. Make a new character, and then do a couple rep trees. Once the well runs dry, you get thirsty in a big hurry.

I have brought up two new from Level 1 to Level 50's lately, and reputation XP just falls from the sky.

Gosh, you don't even have to leave a starbase after Level 11 if you don't want. You can just park yourself at DS9 and get to level 50 so quickly that your head spins by DOFFing. And then all XP turns into Expertise.

I'm kind of shocked at folks who say this is an issue because Reputation XP is the absolute easiest thing to get in the game.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't get it.

They are just removing the lesser equipment that was redundant, and a waste of marks for most folks anyway since they just end up getting the better equipment once they get to a high enough level.

I don't see how that makes it any less motivating to work through the system.

FWIW, I've never bought the lower tier stuff because it seemed like a huge waste of marks that I could use to get to higher levels to get the better versions of that gear.

Same here. Never bought the low version, never even remotely considered doing so.
    The removal is a good idea.
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey, what's happening to the accolades that were attached to collecting some of the older sets? E.G. Mk X and MK XI MACO sets awarded MACO Recruit and MACO Veteran, for example. Will characters who don't yet have those sets be unable to get those accolades with the items being retired?
  • Options
    sethpcsethpc Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Mr. Zeleski, I would like to tell you personally that I am extremely impressed with the degree of actually caring about player feedback that you have shown in this reputation overhaul. Thank you, from the deepest pits of my black and soot-stained heart.

Not to slightly veer off-topic, but STO absolutely picked up some good folks from the City of Heroes closure. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Plus STF sets are not exactly 3600 ... right now we have 1 weapon set + 3 STF sets + 3 ground sets ... that is 1500 + 9000 + 4500, that is 15000 marks,
    That is very disingenuous; You only get the sets (or just items, as the case may be) your build needs. You only need 1 ground set at once, and you only need to buy two if you want the opposite faction's ground set. The only reason to get all 3 is if you want the Omega Force costume and the opposite faction's set.

The Space sets on Omega are kind of Meh; Fleet items are better, and the only particularly useful set bonus is the KHG +25% Torp Damage.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2014

It's that easy now, apart from the annoyance of stocking a bank full of commodities and consumables. I'm so glad that's going away. It was meant to be an EC sink anyway, cutting out the vendor middleman is a huge improvement.
  • Options
    duxbellorum1duxbellorum1 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its a good change!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Looks mostly good except ... Loosing commendations is not Alt friendly!

At least for me ... I don't have a lot of time to play each day, so the Dyson Commendation '5 pack" was very handy.

I could run a toon for the few hours I have, earn enough marks to get a "5 pack" of commendations, then I only needed to log in and cycle DoFF missions and the Rep Upgrade on that toon every 20 hrs or so. Rinse and repeat for each toon.

Now I'll have to run at least one mission each day on each Alt to get the same result, which equals less time on each toon, which equals longer level up on new/current alts, which equals less XP on each alt per day, which equals llloooonnngggeerrr grinds for each one ...

You didn't read down far enough. It's going to be EASIER now for that situation.

The same exact 20-hour mission that used to cost you 1 Commendation and got you 2500XP now will cost 30 marks and give you the same 2500XP.

Now, you can earn the same amount of marks that it used to cost you to get that 5-pack (350), and instead, the same 350 marks lets you run the mission 11 times (and still have 20 marks left over) as opposed to running it only 5 times based on the same amount of "work".

So the same amount of work gives you more than twice the result.
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm glad they are finally bringing over dyson rep features, minus the commendation!

I have a question though:
    What about rep progress for existing characters? Will it remain, or will it be reset with some sort of 'credit' applied?

For example, if I've unlocked T5 Omega, have I basically lost out on the reward packs? Nice thing about the Dyson rep was anything I didn't want I could sell and make up the cost of that rep project EC cost requirements. Such that I ended up with a net EC profit after completing T5 dyson.

What about though who already unlocked various store projects? Will we get a dilithium refund? I know the answer is 'no', but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).