Install Arc
Options

The Future of Arc

Comments

• Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fonz71 wrote: »
    links please, or it didn't happen. i can assure you and anybody else arc does indeed use lot's of google spyware.

you seem to be making some inaccurate claims yerslef. j\s

^ this

The ultimate problem with all of this is this: NO ONE has solid information as to what it does and does not have. Right now, you sit here demanding proof of no spyware. Now I ask you: where's your proof OF spyware except heresay. You probably want to give it, but you fear putting this "spyware" onto your computer again. Or what if you do and, to your surprise, there is none. Thus, you've been made a fool.

So, it ultimately comes down to heresay for both groups.
  • Options
    captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The ultimate problem with all of this is this: NO ONE has solid information as to what it does and does not have. Right now, you sit here demanding proof of no spyware. Now I ask you: where's your proof OF spyware except heresay. You probably want to give it, but you fear putting this "spyware" onto your computer again. Or what if you do and, to your surprise, there is none. Thus, you've been made a fool.

Well it's easy enough to see what a program is doing when it's active -- how much memory it's using, CPU usage, and network activity. So if he has proof that Arc is indeed spyware I'd love to see it, because I can find no activity whatsoever to indicate it's doing anything malicious.
  • Options
    fonz71fonz71 Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Proof or you get written of as a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist.

just curious.... do you work at cryptic? lol you sound like yer trying to sell it ^^

anyway, try a program called NoScript. then look and se how much stuff you have to 'temporarily allow' to get arc to work, then research what all the 'stuff' was that you allowed on yer computer.

then come back here and tell me it doesn't use spyware. j\s

sorry wrong quote....

that one is the one i meant to quote... having bad time with quotes today... nvm, just use arc ...it's great ^^

just don't put it on my computer :P
    Don't know why it says i'm an ARC user. i will never use that TRIBBLE Cryptic!
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No one wonts or needs ARK my labtop is 4 years old and would overheat if i used ARK if u make us use ARK i will stop playing.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    just curious.... do you work at cryptic? lol you sound like yer trying to sell it ^^

anyway, try a program called NoScript. then look and se how much stuff you have to 'temporarily allow' to get arc to work, then research what all the 'stuff' was that you allowed on yer computer.

then come back here and tell me it doesn't use spyware. j\s

sorry wrong quote....

that one is the one i meant to quote... having bad time with quotes today... nvm, just use arc ...it's great ^^

just don't put it on my computer :P

If you're referring to the browser plug-in that enables you to launch the Arc client from the PWE website, it not not mandatory to use or enable. Virtually every single website you visit runs a litany of scripts every time you load a page, so I don't see how the PWE website doing to same thing is anything to be concerned about.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If you're referring to the browser plug-in that enables you to launch the Arc client from the PWE website, it not not mandatory to use or enable. Virtually every single website you visit runs a litany of scripts every time you load a page, so I don't see how the PWE website doing to same thing is anything to be concerned about.

LOL just cause everybody else does it doesn't mean it's ok. hahahahhaha that's a good laugh thanks :D

like i said, you want proof, try it, research it for yourself. the proof is there. :)

p.s. you'll also find many of the sites you probably visit daily have the exact same 'spyware'. ^^

as an aside, many sites 'want' you to allow that stuff to view the page, but you don't have to allow it. as for arc, you Have to allow it to get it to run properly, which is why i WILL NOT use arc.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    LOL just cause everybody else does it doesn't mean it's ok. hahahahhaha that's a good laugh thanks :D

like i said, you want proof, try it, research it for yourself. the proof is there. :)

p.s. you'll also find many of the sites you probably visit daily have the exact same 'spyware'. ^^

as an aside, many sites 'want' you to allow that stuff to view the page, but you don't have to allow it. as for arc, you Have to allow it to get it to run properly, which is why i WILL NOT use arc.

No, you don't. You don't need to have the browser plug in installed or running for the Arc client to work. You can launch the Arc client manually and it will work just fine without it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    No, you don't. You don't need to have the browser plug in installed or running for the Arc client to work. You can launch the Arc client manually and it will work just fine without it.

either i didn't make myself clear, or you don't understand... install NoScript, and you Have to allow a ton of 'stuff' just to get arc to run properly.

it's true, if you don't have NoScript installed, it will work just fine. then you are automatically letting that stuff on your computer.

if you only knew what some of those sites were and what they are doing ewith the information they 'steal' from you, you'd prolly never go without programs\addons like this again. anyway...

like i said earlier, arc is great. use it. just not on my computer. thanks that is all
  • Options
    fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I still haven't heard from PWE explaining why ARC requires elevated privileges (which is a NO NO!) or why it goes through and scans tons of (non-ARC) files on the hard drive.

Many of us have complained about this.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    I still haven't heard from PWE explaining why ARC requires elevated privileges (which is a NO NO!) or why it goes through and scans tons of (non-ARC) files on the hard drive.

Many of us have complained about this.

NoSript stoops this, which is why arc wont work if NoScript is installed.
  • Options
    mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It doesn't look like they want it mandatory but preferred.
  • Options
    shadowpaw69shadowpaw69 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    All I can say is that after Install Arc and gave permission to let it run on my pc, I couldn't log in to STO at all.. I had to find old installer without ARC to get back into game.. Only game I play is StO why would I need ARC? I don't care for the free giveaways. Like someone stated earlier , if ARC becomes a mandatory part of STO, I wont be playing anymore.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,408 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Have you tried that NoScript thing with any other MMOs? You might find problems with, say, Blizzard's loader, too. Because one of the things Arc is supposed to do is to scan your online interactions to see if you're a goldfarming bot. (I've been receiving in-game mails from them for some time, offering to sell me EC and ships in exchange for real-world money.)

Now, I can testify that Arc overloads the capabilities of my old laptop (poor thing gets stressed to the limit just running STO, and slightly over the limit with CO; add Arc to the equation, and my CO FPS hits single digits, then the computer overheats and shuts down). I tend to attribute that more to the fact that it's a four-year-old laptop running software that was never intended for it; when I run it on the desktop I recently got access to (because my roommate had to upgrade to run the latest iteration of EvE properly), Arc presents me with nary an issue, not even from my antiviral software.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    shadowpaw69shadowpaw69 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Have you tried that NoScript thing with any other MMOs? You might find problems with, say, Blizzard's loader, too. Because one of the things Arc is supposed to do is to scan your online interactions to see if you're a goldfarming bot. (I've been receiving in-game mails from them for some time, offering to sell me EC and ships in exchange for real-world money.)

Now, I can testify that Arc overloads the capabilities of my old laptop (poor thing gets stressed to the limit just running STO, and slightly over the limit with CO; add Arc to the equation, and my CO FPS hits single digits, then the computer overheats and shuts down). I tend to attribute that more to the fact that it's a four-year-old laptop running software that was never intended for it; when I run it on the desktop I recently got access to (because my roommate had to upgrade to run the latest iteration of EvE properly), Arc presents me with nary an issue, not even from my antiviral software.

If You Want to remove ARC so u can play sto have a look at this link http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=819701
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

honest answer, no. i don't play any other mmo's and wont til SC.

scanning for bots... ok easy answer is with noscript you would only need to allow arc. unfortunetly, this is not the case. you also need to allow things such as google. google analytics. google syndavation... the list goes on... now why would you need to allow those known 'problem' sites, just to use arc, or find bots as you suggest?

in any case, as i suggested earlier, people can install it, see what they Have to allow, and can investigate those places for themselves.

i would suggest doing that b4 allowing arc onto your system.
  • Options
    ravioliloverraviolilover Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I also don't particularly like arc,lately every time i've tried to get to perfect world website an arc pop up blocks me and redirects me to the arc site when my buisness must be taken care of on perfect world, whats up with that?
    i need to get to perfect world to add tribble to an account, arc prevents me from so much as viewing my account information on my second account.
    it's annoying and troublesome and i do NOT want to use arc in any way.
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Arc can take a flying leap! It lags me all to hell. It will be steam or it's game over. Game over man, game over!
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Proof or you get written of as a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist.

Proof of your claims that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, or you get written off as a hired shill.

See, that sort of stonewalling with your fingers in your ears can work for both sides! :D
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Everyone knows my feelings about Arc as I have expressed them enough on this forum. ARC is useless it does not help with the gaming experience. I don't play any other games and getting them forced down my throat is like going into the shop and having the shop keeper keep asking can I help you when your just browsing to see i you want to buy anything which puts me right off purchasing from them. Also it is bloatware you can not shut it down once game is launched so it will take up resources while playing the game unlike Steam which you can close.

I have Steam as some of the games I have run on it so if i am forced to use Steam rather than the original launcher I would have to however that is if I can be bothered to install it on Steam. ARC is useless

I don't need to chat between games as very few of my friends play any of the other games and the ones that have done have left PWE when they heard about ARC or stopped playing the games due the endless grinds.

So Please give ARC to the people that want it and for us that don't want it leave it optional by all means do giveaways for ARC to try and bribe people into getting it but don't force us to use what is a pointless marketing launcher.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *downloads Steam*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If You Want to remove ARC so u can play sto have a look at this link http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=819701

Ah! This may explain why CHamps no longer works for me, my saved game folder is still there with the launcher, but when i transferred it over to my new pc it stopped working...now in order to play it, i will have to download ARC. ( erased arc after it began to make me re-download sto again) looks like champs is corrupted now and gone forever. =T.T=

Luckely STo was saved ahead of time in my jumpdrive so it couldnt be tainted by the ARC!
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is absolutely not a resource hog. Right now it's sitting quietly in my tray using 0-1% CPU and consuming roughly 150 MBs of RAM. Maybe if you had a system with 1 GB or less of RAM this would be an issue, but if that's the case you're probably not playing STO.

150 Mb RAM? that is way more than ARC has any rights to use. I dunno how much Steam uses, but I seem to recall it not using much at all.

Not everyone has a ton of RAM, and those of us that fit in that category should not need to buy more RAM to be able to play STO, just because ARC takes up precious RAM.

Granted, RAM is not that expensive, but it's added costs that could be avoided by streamlining ARC's memory footprint.

I bet that it's the social media like twitbook that is partially to blame here, but 150 Mb RAM is a lot for a launcher platform to use...
  • Options
    michaelp1989michaelp1989 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No to arc, no to chinese spyware.
    At least make it optional so I can launch game from launcher.
    I don't want to leave but if it will be mandatory then i will uninstall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    otowi wrote: »
    150 Mb RAM? that is way more than ARC has any rights to use. I dunno how much Steam uses, but I seem to recall it not using much at all.

Not everyone has a ton of RAM, and those of us that fit in that category should not need to buy more RAM to be able to play STO, just because ARC takes up precious RAM.

Granted, RAM is not that expensive, but it's added costs that could be avoided by streamlining ARC's memory footprint.

I bet that it's the social media like twitbook that is partially to blame here, but 150 Mb RAM is a lot for a launcher platform to use...

o_O I don't know what people are doing with ARC that's using up so much RAM. ARC for me runs at this moment 15.6 MB, jumps up to maybe 30 when i'm starting up a game (STO, whatever).
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ok, I took some time to fully read the "Future of Arc" blog and here are my thoughts of upcoming "cool" features coming to Arc.

Improved Notifications: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    I use in-game mail for both STO and CO and this seems perfectly fine for my game messaging needs, likewise for friend lists/requests. I don't understand why I need a new program to handle these functions. Are the in-game mail and friend features being removed from the games and added to Arc? I would very much not like that. I'm not sure what Alerts they're referring to, so can't judge that.

Added Payment Methods: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    I'm more than satisfied with my existing preferred payment method (PayPal). I don't need/want any others.

Forum Improvements - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    Well, since I really do not like the aesthetics of the recent PW-ification of the STO/CO forums (Really?!? You're going with a drab grey-on-grey motif? Not only is it boring, but it's also incredibly difficult to read!), nor do I care for the appearance of anything I've seen on Arc so far, I have little hope that what you label as "improvements" will be something I consider good.

Cryptic Page Migration - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I never had any problem finding what I needed before.

Game Genre Listing System - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    Hmmm... Games I play: Star Trek Online. Champions Online. I'm pretty sure I don't need any down-drilling-search features for a quantity of two. I certainly don't need these features as part of an "always on" launcher.

I think the big problem here is that PW seems to think that just because they show off their game line-up I'm going to play more games. Even if we do assume that I have any interest in their games (which I don't), I hardly have enough time to play the two games I'm already heavily invested in, where am I supposed to get more time to play other games?

Improved Account Security: - My Assessment: I shouldn't need something like Arc to get this sort of service in my products.
    Well, that sounds nice, but what does this have to do with a game launcher? Or rather, it seems misleading that you're advertising it as a "feature" to your game launcher/overlay thingy... Shouldn't Security be something provided innately with my gaming experience? In fact, it seems to me many of the other "features" that Arc is providing are what's causing insecurity to begin with.

How about I just have a simple game launcher that connects me to the game network, provides necessary software patches, and closes as it launches the game?

Twitch TV Integration: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    I'd never even heard of Twitch TV until I read it in the blog. I googled it. Huh. That's neat that such things exist for those interested. I'm not one of those people.

Support System Improvements: - My Assessment: I shouldn't need something like Arc to get this sort of service in my products.
    I have received some wonderful support from Cryptic/PW over the years in regards to my account or billing issues. Conversely I have also sent many bug reports/problems into Support that seem to disappear as though swallowed by a black hole. The worse part about Cryptic/PW Support is not the interface. It's what and how you choose to actually support/change/fix. Further, as with Security improvements above... Having improved Support is something that should be included with existing service/product.

Chat System Updates: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me that doesn't already exist, better, elsewhere.
    Existing in-game chat is pretty much all I need in the way of chatting. Are you planning to remove in-game chat? But let's assume for a minute that I might be interested in additional chat features... If I wanted to use an external chat program, I'll use an external chat program. I don't need PW's reinvented wheel version when 3rd Party Apps will probably always be better.

Improved Overlay: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me that doesn't already exist, better, elsewhere.
    I don't need my game to provide me with a web browser. When I want to browse Teh Intarwebs, I just click on my pre-existing/better browser that's already open on my second monitor. All the other things that I've seen in the Arc Overlay are a complete waste of space/resources.

Added Login Options: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    A) What can be quicker and easier than opening my STO launcher, typing my username/pwd, and clicking Engage? B) I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, or any other "social partners".

Fan Content Page: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    Isn't that what already happens in the forums?

I still don't see what I gain from Arc? So again I ask, how about I just have a simple game launcher that connects me to the game network, provides necessary software patches, and closes as it launches the game? :confused:

:rolleyes:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why is it that the vast majority of people who post absolutely don't like it and yet PWE wants to move forward with it.

Reminds me of Microsoft Bob.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    Why is it that the vast majority of people who post absolutely don't like it and yet PWE wants to move forward with it.

Reminds me of Microsoft Bob.

Because, ultimately, the "vast majority" is a drop in the ocean. Remember, STO isn't the only game in PWE's library, despite the contrary. The "vast majority" here is nothing. Now if the vast majority of the players in all of PWE's library rose up and said "NO!", it would be a whole different story. But, as far as I'm seeing, a lot of the reactions I'm seeing is just indifference.

NOTE: I only say "vast majority" for STO because, honestly, it feels like it's just the same 10-20 people over and over again.
  • Options
    sabremeister1sabremeister1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ok, I took some time to fully read the "Future of Arc" blog and here are my thoughts of upcoming "cool" features coming to Arc.

Improved Notifications: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    I use in-game mail for both STO and CO and this seems perfectly fine for my game messaging needs, likewise for friend lists/requests. I don't understand why I need a new program to handle these functions. Are the in-game mail and friend features being removed from the games and added to Arc? I would very much not like that. I'm not sure what Alerts they're referring to, so can't judge that.

Added Payment Methods: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    I'm more than satisfied with my existing preferred payment method (PayPal). I don't need/want any others.

Forum Improvements - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    Well, since I really do not like the aesthetics of the recent PW-ification of the STO/CO forums (Really?!? You're going with a drab grey-on-grey motif? Not only is it boring, but it's also incredibly difficult to read!), nor do I care for the appearance of anything I've seen on Arc so far, I have little hope that what you label as "improvements" will be something I consider good.

Cryptic Page Migration - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I never had any problem finding what I needed before.

Game Genre Listing System - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    Hmmm... Games I play: Star Trek Online. Champions Online. I'm pretty sure I don't need any down-drilling-search features for a quantity of two. I certainly don't need these features as part of an "always on" launcher.

I think the big problem here is that PW seems to think that just because they show off their game line-up I'm going to play more games. Even if we do assume that I have any interest in their games (which I don't), I hardly have enough time to play the two games I'm already heavily invested in, where am I supposed to get more time to play other games?

Improved Account Security: - My Assessment: I shouldn't need something like Arc to get this sort of service in my products.
    Well, that sounds nice, but what does this have to do with a game launcher? Or rather, it seems misleading that you're advertising it as a "feature" to your game launcher/overlay thingy... Shouldn't Security be something provided innately with my gaming experience? In fact, it seems to me many of the other "features" that Arc is providing are what's causing insecurity to begin with.

How about I just have a simple game launcher that connects me to the game network, provides necessary software patches, and closes as it launches the game?

Twitch TV Integration: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    I'd never even heard of Twitch TV until I read it in the blog. I googled it. Huh. That's neat that such things exist for those interested. I'm not one of those people.

Support System Improvements: - My Assessment: I shouldn't need something like Arc to get this sort of service in my products.
    I have received some wonderful support from Cryptic/PW over the years in regards to my account or billing issues. Conversely I have also sent many bug reports/problems into Support that seem to disappear as though swallowed by a black hole. The worse part about Cryptic/PW Support is not the interface. It's what and how you choose to actually support/change/fix. Further, as with Security improvements above... Having improved Support is something that should be included with existing service/product.

Chat System Updates: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me that doesn't already exist, better, elsewhere.
    Existing in-game chat is pretty much all I need in the way of chatting. Are you planning to remove in-game chat? But let's assume for a minute that I might be interested in additional chat features... If I wanted to use an external chat program, I'll use an external chat program. I don't need PW's reinvented wheel version when 3rd Party Apps will probably always be better.

Improved Overlay: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me that doesn't already exist, better, elsewhere.
    I don't need my game to provide me with a web browser. When I want to browse Teh Intarwebs, I just click on my pre-existing/better browser that's already open on my second monitor. All the other things that I've seen in the Arc Overlay are a complete waste of space/resources.

Added Login Options: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    A) What can be quicker and easier than opening my STO launcher, typing my username/pwd, and clicking Engage? B) I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, or any other "social partners".

Fan Content Page: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    Isn't that what already happens in the forums?

I still don't see what I gain from Arc? So again I ask, how about I just have a simple game launcher that connects me to the game network, provides necessary software patches, and closes as it launches the game? :confused:

:rolleyes:

+1
    All of it.
    For ever.

(Well, except that the only online games I play are STO and LOTRO, and I hear there's a Firefly MMO in development, so if Arc becomes mandatory I'll stop playing STO)
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    o_O I don't know what people are doing with ARC that's using up so much RAM. ARC for me runs at this moment 15.6 MB, jumps up to maybe 30 when i'm starting up a game (STO, whatever).

It ran something like 300 MB minimum for me. I finally got sick of it and uninstalled it.

Steam looks like the way to go.