test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Future of Arc

Comments

• splitboysplitboy Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am wondering if they really will drop steam , If we were to issue a survey on how people got connected to the game im quite confident a majority of people discovered STO trough steam. If PWE discarded such a distribution platform they lack any financial intelligence.

Not certain yet yet i am under the Impression they are working on a STEAM ARC wrapper.

Had the other Day to refresh the EULA can't recall i had to do this in the last three to four years other when STO moved from ATARi to PWE so there could be already a nefarious plan in the making.

And to not having ARC on MAC be glad People ARC is still just an extra mouse click to start STO because you get force feed some ads.

Even UbiSoft learned a lesson and supports finaly direct boot with Uplay no extra anoying unecessary Advertise break before the game launches.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    splitboy wrote: »
    Not certain yet yet i am under the Impression they are working on a STEAM ARC wrapper.

Had the other Day to refresh the EULA can't recall i had to do this in the last three to four years other when STO moved from ATARi to PWE so there could be already a nefarious plan in the making.

And to not having ARC on MAC be glad People ARC is still just an extra mouse click to start STO because you get force feed some ads.

Even UbiSoft learned a lesson and supports finaly direct boot with Uplay no extra anoying unecessary Advertise break before the game launches.

...I don't get it. Why do people say ARC forces ads onto them? Mine doesn't. I goes straight to the STO page when I open it. Are you SURE you got ARC and not something else?
  • splitboysplitboy Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ...I don't get it. Why do people say ARC forces ads onto them? Mine doesn't. I goes straight to the STO page when I open it. Are you SURE you got ARC and not something else?

If Arc tells me i should install neverwinter because it is an awesome game or maybe Torchlight or what ever instead of starting the STO Client when i just want to spend some Quality time then yes it is force feeding me with ads.

So don't act angry or confused as there are alot of People that do not appreciate persistant anoying advertismend.
    Ubisoft did so aswell and they learned their leson finaly.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Okay that gives a good overview of what is happening to the Arc client, but what about the Arc website itself (aside from the mentioned Cryptic page migrations)? Click my signature. The actual layout of buttons and content on the arc site makes for a very jarring flow when people are trying to find things. Plus there are no 301 redirects for all of the links in the old blogs that link to sto.perfectworld.com.

And what are "forum improvements?" Are we talking about things like integrating more modern vbulletin features, a less gray-upon-gray style, or what?

Feel free to ask questions or comment on anything else you'd like to see.
    Hopefully these can actually get answered when Sparks comes back from vacation next month..

Ahem. :cough:

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • sparkiesoftsparkiesoft Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 47
    edited April 2014
    Ahem. :cough:

Forum improvements include many things; Better user flow, added functionality, more user tools, etc. I don't have specifics since none of it's finished yet, but I know the team wanted to improve the site based off of what we got with feedback.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Forum improvements include many things; Better user flow, added functionality, more user tools, etc. I don't have specifics since none of it's finished yet, but I know the team wanted to improve the site based off of what we got with feedback.

Sparkie if you are listening to feedback then understand WE DO NOT WANT ARC
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    Sparkie if you are listening to feedback then understand I DO NOT WANT ARC

Fixed it for ya. Sorry, but just because a handful of ya don't want it doesn't mean everyone does.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014

If this is true, you will have converted me to Arc. You can keep bribing me though. I don't mind.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • zboshik86zboshik86 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So, actually optimizing Arc? Where is that on the roadmap? Not that I don't like it, I'd just like it more if it wasn't such a hog...
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm going to have to kick up Arc again, I guess, but I don't remember ever seeing any ads in my way. Not like Steam, where there's an obtrusive pop-up about whatever's on sale just now...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm going to have to kick up Arc again, I guess, but I don't remember ever seeing any ads in my way. Not like Steam, where there's an obtrusive pop-up about whatever's on sale just now...

What ads? This is news to me. The only time I would see ads in Arc are websites I visit in the Arc web browser, such as going to the STO wiki site and seeing ads about games I don't give a rat's TRIBBLE about. Or visiting youtube. And so on.

That's why for web browsing I'm sticking with my Firefox web browser that has noscript *and* adblockplus. I go to youtube and see comments complaining about ads at the beginning of videos and I'm thinking "What ads? Oh that's right.". Heh.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,246 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not only do many of us not want Arc for some people like me it interferes with gameplay and breaks the Cstore. I cannot buy anything with ZEN when I use Arc.

What a great system make your players want to stop playing and make it so they cannot spend money with you even if they want to. Arc is even worse then the terrible new forum and website design which users up less then 25% of the screen at high resolution. At high res all you get is a tiny strip down the middle of the page. It will only get worse as 4k comes out.

Please sort the forum and website out so they work decently at 2560x1440 and 4k resolutions
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's taken time to realise I've taken an indefinite break from STO of sorts. I log in to refine dil and turn in contraband and that's it I can't remember the last time I really did play content if you don't count the 1 time First Contact that took 2 minutes. I've found myself having more more fun playing other games and really unless something changes by the time Arc is mandatory for a Steam user I'm not sure I'd put myself through the trouble of having Arc for a game I hardly play anymore.

I don't know maybe given it's the only game from PWE I hardly play the effect of Arc will also be hardly noticed unless it's on 24/7 regardless of whether I'm playing or not in which case definitely no, nuh-uh, never. My original view still stands the affect on the community is also a factor (i.e. if everyone decides to bail and leave a dead game no point in me staying) and I'll reserve judgement until then. We will see when Arc becomes mandatory what happens I guess. You can be sure people will try and work around it even if it means quarantining Arc that won't affect their pc.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Thanks Sparkinator. :D

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

You guys could outsource this task to your players and we'd have a perfectly functioning and feature rich forum in less than 48 hours. We'd even spend 5 minutes replacing the default button icons with ones meant for a dark background.

If your web team needs some help on doing some basic things like editing a css style sheet, just let us know. We can do it for you for free.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    Sparkie if you are listening to feedback then understand WE DO NOT WANT ARC

And PWE doesn't care what you want. You will get Arc whether you like it or not. Accept this fact now, because it's not going to change.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Not being a native English speaker and all, I translated this as follows:

"Everytime you guys read something about improvements to a particular 'backend' change to the forum, what we really mean is that we passive-aggressively removed part of its functionality, and moved it to Arc. Like buying Zen, for instance. So, as a result, one day soon you'll simply need Arc for everything."

N.B. Used to be you could close Arc when the gaming was up and running; you can no longer do that either.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Not being a native English speaker and all, I translated this as follows:

"Everytime you guys read something about improvements to a particular 'backend' change to the forum, what we really mean is that we passive-aggressively removed part of its functionality, and moved it to Arc. Like buying Zen, for instance. So, as a result, one day soon you'll simply need Arc for everything."

N.B. Used to be you could close Arc when the gaming was up and running; you can no longer do that either.

Arc has an overlay similar to Steam's overlay, which is why you can't close it after the game launches. They really need to add the option to disable the overlay for those that don't want it or who use injectors.
  • fakefivefakefive Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Fixed it for ya. Sorry, but just because a handful of ya don't want it doesn't mean everyone does.

Uh, its alot more than a handful that dont want it. Please no arc, i really shouldnt have to trash talk it in order to avoid it. It's obvious what its functions are and I dont want to have to deal with them to play Star Trek. It is wholley unnecessary.
  • quistraquistra Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I feel like I don't know enough about Arc that I can trust it. I'm pretty wary of any piece of software that runs constantly in the background when I game.
    The artist formerly known as PlanetofHats.
    Actual join date: Open beta, 2009ish.
    edited April 2014
    fakefive wrote: »
    Uh, its alot more than a handful that dont want it. Please no arc, i really shouldnt have to trash talk it in order to avoid it. It's obvious what its functions are and I dont want to have to deal with them to play Star Trek. It is wholley unnecessary.

Unfortunately it's irrelevant. Even if every single STO player signed a petition stating they didn't want Arc that's not going to stop PWE from implementing it. They have an agenda and a plan, and aren't going to abandon that to satisfy a few thousand people who have a bug up their behind about a change of launcher.

I really wish people would understand this and move on. Arc is coming and will be mandatory, whether you like it or not. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do or say that's going to change it.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Unfortunately it's irrelevant. Even if every single STO player signed a petition stating they didn't want Arc that's not going to stop PWE from implementing it. They have an agenda and a plan, and aren't going to abandon that to satisfy a few thousand people who have a bug up their behind about a change of launcher.

I really wish people would understand this and move on. Arc is coming and will be mandatory, whether you like it or not. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do or say that's going to change it.

Well someone missed the Real ID on the forums mess of Blizzards. The anti-troll excuse was destroyed and when they tried to show it wouldn't hurt a member of the staff posted his on the forum. Well needless to say his address, phone number, SS number FB and twitter and even his parents details were found. That post and the one by the employee were taken down fast.

It even made int into the press not just the niche ones it was on the BBCs news website. They did an about face so fast I was surprised there weren't neck injuries.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You should really consider support for non-adminstrator accounts. Right now, I have STO installed in a directory to which normal users have write access so that I can patch and play the game without having to log in as an administrator. Trying to run Arc as a normal user brings up a prompt asking me to log in as an administrator.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

As a guy who starts up Steam on a regular basis ...

HORSE****. In all my years using the program, Steam has never deployed a popup. Not for me, nor for anyone else who isn't a PWE corporate sockpuppet. The only time you see ads on Steam is when you intentionally open up the "Store" page - in which case you were going looking for something to buy and should be expecting to see what's on sale.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kazapsky wrote: »

HORSE****. In all my years using the program, Steam has never deployed a popup. Not for me, nor for anyone else who isn't a PWE corporate sockpuppet. The only time you see ads on Steam is when you intentionally open up the "Store" page - in which case you were going looking for something to buy and should be expecting to see what's on sale.

I remember getting booted out of FFXI a few times because Steam sent some weird popup to my desktop advertising something or other. Wasn't even logged into Steam when it happened. Mind you, that would have been about 7 years ago, and I've had no trouble with it since.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014

Not defending Arc at all, but I do get pop ups with Steam. Not annoyingly so or anything, but whenever you've played a game launched through Steam and exit the game, it opens a window to advertise what's on sale or what's new etc.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I've had steam for 10 years and I haven't had a single ad pop up. Unless the morons are counting when you exit a game, steam pops up a steam sale.
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I use Arc and I like it! Uhoh... what's with all those pitchforks?

P.S.: Arc; give me more free goodies! Keep em coming!
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    unikon wrote: »
    Steam is a legitimate storefront. That's not outside the realm of operation, and it only bothers you when you start up or finish a game.

I'd only grow concerned with PWE advertisements when they deviate from PWE products.

I don't disagree, but I wasn't complaining about the pop ups. I was merely stating that they do exist, because the person I quoted was saying to someone who mentioned Steam pop ups that he was speaking "horse s**t". A pop up doesn't have to be malware or something advertising something unrelated. Any window that opens without you intentionally opening it, is a pop up.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited April 2014
    decronia wrote: »
    Well someone missed the Real ID on the forums mess of Blizzards. The anti-troll excuse was destroyed and when they tried to show it wouldn't hurt a member of the staff posted his on the forum. Well needless to say his address, phone number, SS number FB and twitter and even his parents details were found. That post and the one by the employee were taken down fast.

It even made int into the press not just the niche ones it was on the BBCs news website. They did an about face so fast I was surprised there weren't neck injuries.

But unlike RealID, which was a bad idea from the very start, there is nothing inherently wrong with Arc, despite some people's paranoia regarding it. It's not spyware or malware, it doesn't eat up excessive memory or CPU cycles, it doesn't pop up ads, it doesn't reveal any personal identification, etc. It's just a PWE-branded launcher. That's it.