test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Future of Arc

123457»

Comments

• kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not defending Arc at all, but I do get pop ups with Steam. Not annoyingly so or anything, but whenever you've played a game launched through Steam and exit the game, it opens a window to advertise what's on sale or what's new etc.

I don't know what version of Steam you're running to get that. Honestly I doubt it's even Steam doing it. Steam has never - repeat NEVER - popped up anything I didn't click into.

So again, horse****.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    kazapsky wrote: »
    I don't know what version of Steam you're running to get that. Honestly I doubt it's even Steam doing it. Steam has never - repeat NEVER - popped up anything I didn't click into.

So again, horse****.

Please, for the love of God, stop saying things are "horse s**t" just because you haven't experienced them personally.

I am currently running the latest version of Steam. I've been using Steam for more than 6 years though and it has popped a window up to advertise things when I leave a game for as long as I can remember. I wasn't complaining about it, I was merely pointing out that just because it doesn't happen to you does not mean it doesn't happen period.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    But unlike RealID, which was a bad idea from the very start, there is nothing inherently wrong with Arc, despite some people's paranoia regarding it. It's not spyware or malware, it doesn't eat up excessive memory or CPU cycles, it doesn't pop up ads, it doesn't reveal any personal identification, etc. It's just a PWE-branded launcher. That's it.

No idea don't use it. However you said it wouldn't matter if every player signed a petition against it nothing would change. I showed an example in a game where something did happen even though it didn't involve every player. RealID exists in game, they just anted to bring it to the forums and ban anyone posting who didn't set it up.

People have said it does eat up resources, plus other things. Who is to say it is paranoia? Personally I don't want it because it is bloatware, that is software I do not need nor want, though that is more to do with the extras.

The added extras are useless fluff to me and so not worth the space on my hard drive. If they gave the option of a striped down version of it without the extras, advertising their other games is to be expected so would stay, then I would give it a go. Even if it meant being excluded from future ARC exclusive giveaways.

Either way it is meant to be in beta phase yet if you are new to the game the only way to get it is to download ARC first. This is not what happens with a beta, as they are meant to be opt in not forced. That alone can sound alarm bells to some people.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've said before - if they allow us to use a 'launcher only' version (allows them to unify their launch platform - which is understandable why they want that at least); but leaves out the rest of the bloatware for those players who don't want/need these outside features and just want to log into and play the game, period. I'd be all for ARC.

If they force the full bloated version on everyone, (no choice as to what is installed with it), then I want no part of ARC.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • silverfaustxsilverfaustx Member Posts: 262
    edited April 2014
    can any in pwe answer if sto is affected by the heartbleed bug.
    cause steam was, and u should change password now.
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just disable ARC from using the internet and you have nothing to worry about. You can also force close it as well after you start STO.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    According to the tools I've found online, the Arc sites are totally unaffected by Heartbleed. Not terribly surprising, really - if the server wasn't using a very recent version of OpenSSL, the exploit wasn't there. Thank heavens for lazy sysadmins!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    According to the tools I've found online, the Arc sites are totally unaffected by Heartbleed. Not terribly surprising, really - if the server wasn't using a very recent version of OpenSSL, the exploit wasn't there. Thank heavens for lazy sysadmins!

Sometimes laziness can be quite the boon. :P