What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Future of Arc

Comments

• Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This covers evrything I didn't think of...thank you.
    Ok, I took some time to fully read the "Future of Arc" blog and here are my thoughts of upcoming "cool" features coming to Arc.

Improved Notifications: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    I use in-game mail for both STO and CO and this seems perfectly fine for my game messaging needs, likewise for friend lists/requests. I don't understand why I need a new program to handle these functions. Are the in-game mail and friend features being removed from the games and added to Arc? I would very much not like that. I'm not sure what Alerts they're referring to, so can't judge that.

Added Payment Methods: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    I'm more than satisfied with my existing preferred payment method (PayPal). I don't need/want any others.

Forum Improvements - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    Well, since I really do not like the aesthetics of the recent PW-ification of the STO/CO forums (Really?!? You're going with a drab grey-on-grey motif? Not only is it boring, but it's also incredibly difficult to read!), nor do I care for the appearance of anything I've seen on Arc so far, I have little hope that what you label as "improvements" will be something I consider good.

Cryptic Page Migration - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I never had any problem finding what I needed before.

Game Genre Listing System - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    Hmmm... Games I play: Star Trek Online. Champions Online. I'm pretty sure I don't need any down-drilling-search features for a quantity of two. I certainly don't need these features as part of an "always on" launcher.

I think the big problem here is that PW seems to think that just because they show off their game line-up I'm going to play more games. Even if we do assume that I have any interest in their games (which I don't), I hardly have enough time to play the two games I'm already heavily invested in, where am I supposed to get more time to play other games?

Improved Account Security: - My Assessment: I shouldn't need something like Arc to get this sort of service in my products.
    Well, that sounds nice, but what does this have to do with a game launcher? Or rather, it seems misleading that you're advertising it as a "feature" to your game launcher/overlay thingy... Shouldn't Security be something provided innately with my gaming experience? In fact, it seems to me many of the other "features" that Arc is providing are what's causing insecurity to begin with.

How about I just have a simple game launcher that connects me to the game network, provides necessary software patches, and closes as it launches the game?

Twitch TV Integration: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    I'd never even heard of Twitch TV until I read it in the blog. I googled it. Huh. That's neat that such things exist for those interested. I'm not one of those people.

Support System Improvements: - My Assessment: I shouldn't need something like Arc to get this sort of service in my products.
    I have received some wonderful support from Cryptic/PW over the years in regards to my account or billing issues. Conversely I have also sent many bug reports/problems into Support that seem to disappear as though swallowed by a black hole. The worse part about Cryptic/PW Support is not the interface. It's what and how you choose to actually support/change/fix. Further, as with Security improvements above... Having improved Support is something that should be included with existing service/product.

Chat System Updates: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me that doesn't already exist, better, elsewhere.
    Existing in-game chat is pretty much all I need in the way of chatting. Are you planning to remove in-game chat? But let's assume for a minute that I might be interested in additional chat features... If I wanted to use an external chat program, I'll use an external chat program. I don't need PW's reinvented wheel version when 3rd Party Apps will probably always be better.

Improved Overlay: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me that doesn't already exist, better, elsewhere.
    I don't need my game to provide me with a web browser. When I want to browse Teh Intarwebs, I just click on my pre-existing/better browser that's already open on my second monitor. All the other things that I've seen in the Arc Overlay are a complete waste of space/resources.

Added Login Options: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    A) What can be quicker and easier than opening my STO launcher, typing my username/pwd, and clicking Engage? B) I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, or any other "social partners".

Fan Content Page: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me
    Isn't that what already happens in the forums?

I still don't see what I gain from Arc? So again I ask, how about I just have a simple game launcher that connects me to the game network, provides necessary software patches, and closes as it launches the game? :confused:

:rolleyes:
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2014
    Ok, I took some time to fully read the "Future of Arc" blog and here are my thoughts of upcoming "cool" features coming to Arc.

I use in-game mail for both STO and CO and this seems perfectly fine for my game messaging needs, likewise for friend lists/requests. I don't understand why I need a new program to handle these functions. Are the in-game mail and friend features being removed from the games and added to Arc? I would very much not like that. I'm not sure what Alerts they're referring to, so can't judge that.

I'm more than satisfied with my existing preferred payment method (PayPal). I don't need/want any others.

Well, since I really do not like the aesthetics of the recent PW-ification of the STO/CO forums (Really?!? You're going with a drab grey-on-grey motif? Not only is it boring, but it's also incredibly difficult to read!), nor do I care for the appearance of anything I've seen on Arc so far, I have little hope that what you label as "improvements" will be something I consider good.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I never had any problem finding what I needed before.

Hmmm... Games I play: Star Trek Online. Champions Online. I'm pretty sure I don't need any down-drilling-search features for a quantity of two. I certainly don't need these features as part of an "always on" launcher.

I think the big problem here is that PW seems to think that just because they show off their game line-up I'm going to play more games. Even if we do assume that I have any interest in their games (which I don't), I hardly have enough time to play the two games I'm already heavily invested in, where am I supposed to get more time to play other games?

Improved Account Security: - My Assessment: I shouldn't need something like Arc to get this sort of service in my products.
    Well, that sounds nice, but what does this have to do with a game launcher? Or rather, it seems misleading that you're advertising it as a "feature" to your game launcher/overlay thingy... Shouldn't Security be something provided innately with my gaming experience? In fact, it seems to me many of the other "features" that Arc is providing are what's causing insecurity to begin with.

How about I just have a simple game launcher that connects me to the game network, provides necessary software patches, and closes as it launches the game?

I'd never even heard of Twitch TV until I read it in the blog. I googled it. Huh. That's neat that such things exist for those interested. I'm not one of those people.

Support System Improvements: - My Assessment: I shouldn't need something like Arc to get this sort of service in my products.
    I have received some wonderful support from Cryptic/PW over the years in regards to my account or billing issues. Conversely I have also sent many bug reports/problems into Support that seem to disappear as though swallowed by a black hole. The worse part about Cryptic/PW Support is not the interface. It's what and how you choose to actually support/change/fix. Further, as with Security improvements above... Having improved Support is something that should be included with existing service/product.

Chat System Updates: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me that doesn't already exist, better, elsewhere.
    Existing in-game chat is pretty much all I need in the way of chatting. Are you planning to remove in-game chat? But let's assume for a minute that I might be interested in additional chat features... If I wanted to use an external chat program, I'll use an external chat program. I don't need PW's reinvented wheel version when 3rd Party Apps will probably always be better.

Improved Overlay: - My Assessment: Arc offers nothing to me that doesn't already exist, better, elsewhere.
    I don't need my game to provide me with a web browser. When I want to browse Teh Intarwebs, I just click on my pre-existing/better browser that's already open on my second monitor. All the other things that I've seen in the Arc Overlay are a complete waste of space/resources.

A) What can be quicker and easier than opening my STO launcher, typing my username/pwd, and clicking Engage? B) I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, or any other "social partners".

I still don't see what I gain from Arc? So again I ask, how about I just have a simple game launcher that connects me to the game network, provides necessary software patches, and closes as it launches the game? :confused:

yeah... this pretty much sums it all up. Thanks for writing it for me ;) lol
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To get people to actually welcome ARC, as opposed to barely and grumpily tolerating it, it needs to do something we want, that can't be achieved as easily elsewhere.

As things stand, ARC doesn't really do that yet.

It doesn't even log me into the fora yet.

I'm not even sure what that function would be, but so far none of the features specified are what you might call killer apps.

So, what should ARC do that it doesn't do now?

What function can it fill?
  • Options
    cptniteusercptniteuser Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If the games and clients are buggy and dont support linux/mac/windows native you wont see me and countless others using your products. Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I understand ARC will be mandatory. I am willing to compromise on its use outside of blatant bribery. It must do something that the current launcher or website won't do.
    Forum Improvements: We will be constantly improving the flow of our forums to make them easier for you to use.

That's a start. I would like functionality of the STO forums. Forums have been a tried-and-true technology for a few decades now, I would like to see some basic functionality return and the convolution of the STO forums disappear. I would like to see that your web team is not made up of a dipping drink bird in front of a keyboard.
    Cryptic Page Migration: Currently, Cryptic pages are separate from Arc. With this update, those pages will be integrated into Arc, so you won't have to go to so many different places to access key features for your game. We plan to put these all in the "My Accounts" page, for easier useability. (These pages include subscriptions, account management, etc)

Alright, now ARC is mildly tempting. If this is what I need to do to get some sanity back in the Cryptic page layouts and functionality, then you might have charmed me.
    Improved Account Security: We're working on even better security systems to help protect your account from unauthorized access

This is good. Keep talking.
    Support System Improvements: Currently you need to go to many different links in order to access support for your game. We're working on streamlining this for easier access in Arc.

And there it is. Now you have made an Arc supporter out of me.

That wasn't so hard, now was it? Instead of useless frills all I want... is basic functionality.

Basic forum functionality. Basic webpage access. Basic account tool access. And an actual functional customer support system for STO that isn't a joke.

Basic functionality. If you can deliver these things which you currently are unable or unwilling to deliver, I will accept Arc on my computer. I do not like it, but the best compromise is where neither party is completely happy.

As a result, I will still continue to give negative commentary on the things I think PWE is doing wrong, including things not yet delivered on.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ARC offers me nothing. I use steam, and it does everything better than arc can and will ever do.

Im quite fine with just the launcer itself, and nothing more. This arc **** on the website is garbage, I prefer the old one.

Why is PWE using this garbage?
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • Options
    themrmushroomthemrmushroom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    IMO, if these server problems persist, I dont see arc lasting very long
  • Options
    fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fair enough, and I agree, to the best of my recollection so does STO if you install it Program Files ... I haven't in ages, run it in program files , so I might be wrong. From a POV of security, whilst all code should run with min privs, e.g. standard user only much code still does require admin, its also typical of code still running in beta. I personally try to run as standard user as much as possible, and it does irritate me that arc requires admin.

I guess I installed the current STO differently because I don't need admin privileges to run it.
  • Options
    charlesdonovancharlesdonovan Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    With my tax return I picked up a brand new Dell PC i5 processor etc. Thanks to a president's day sale.
    After updating windows and all software was installed I sat down to install Star Trek Online.
    Had to use Arc.
    It did not work. It got to a certain point in the download and simply stopped progressing.
    Uninstall arc and lost everything I had spent hours downloading.

So what is a fan who paid for a lifetime membership to do?
    Broke out the original CD and installed it from there. After an 8 GB patch...
    Now I could play.

So I'm not a fan of Arc if for nothing more than the lack of functionality.
    If the 3 year old CD installation software is more effective at loading the game on a pristine new machine, than software that was created and patched only recently, how can it be promoted now?
    Under these facts, this software would not have been a valid thing to use three years ago, let alone today. Before switching to something new, the developers might want to make sure it works. It could drive away potential new customers if they can't even install their programs to play them.

Just my 2 EC.
  • Options
    jaymaverick007jaymaverick007 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am not a fan of this new arc system either. I hope this works as well as they are trying to promote it. there will but some irritated customers I think.
    Retired Rear Admiral-Jay Maverick-
    Known simply as -Maverick-
    Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
    Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
    He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
    "United Federation of Planets"
    12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
    Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota
  • Options
    jaymaverick007jaymaverick007 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I would have to agree with this assessment. It makes me wonder who is making the decisions to do such things. I have been a loyal customer of STO. I am not interested in having other games stuffed down my throat. If I am hungry for something new I will come and look. but This feels like we are being force fed advertising. All force feeding does is make me dislike the food.
    Retired Rear Admiral-Jay Maverick-
    Known simply as -Maverick-
    Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
    Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
    He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
    "United Federation of Planets"
    12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
    Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota
  • Options
    lokovlokov Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    talgeeze wrote: »
    No word about Arc becoming mandatory to launch STO ?

it wouldn't be reasonable. My STO isn't installed through ARC. Installation simply stops for 40%
  • Options
    neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Should start a petition to remove arc.

No one wants this TRIBBLE software.
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • Options
    lokovlokov Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would have to agree with this assessment. It makes me wonder who is making the decisions to do such things. I have been a loyal customer of STO. I am not interested in having other games stuffed down my throat. If I am hungry for something new I will come and look. but This feels like we are being force fed advertising. All force feeding does is make me dislike the food.

Agree. Arc is useless. STO already have a launcher and any programs aren't necessary to us still.
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Greed and a hunger for power and control can turn anyone....I do pitty PWE's bosses"

I wonder if Capt Smirk would listen to and help us, I mean taking the captains seat and being a Trek fan...maybe he will stand up for the players who wanna keep their original cd-rom launchers. Well, Picard stood up for Data, when star fleet wanted to take Lal. You remember how that ended, they destroyed what they where hoping to fix/control! =/\=
  • Options
    ktetchktetch Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It's still funny that people compare ARC to Steam in terms of annoyance. Maybe it's because I am a Steam user for 10 years already which unlocks some special privileges, but Steam never, ever, shows any kind of advertisment, doesn't use more resources than necessary and doesn't snoop around where it has no business to be.

Say NO to ARC.

ha ahahaha HAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHHAHAHEHHEHEHEAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I'm sorry, I really do find that amusingly sweet.

See that line I highlighted above? Now read this link (an article I worked on back in 2010).

That's right, Steam was indexing all the programs on your system and telling steam what they are. It helped us at TorrentFreak get a better idea of the relative popularity of torrent clients in the gaming ecosystem.
    And they still do it, although they only release the hardware specs now. And you agreed to it
    Steam and the Software may include functionality designed to identify software or hardware processes or functionality that may give a player an unfair competitive advantage when playing multiplayer versions of any Software or modifications of Software (“Cheats”).
    Source, section 4

Of course, you might see that as having 'a business to be there', but then again, since a file can be anywhere and run from anywhere, it has to search anywhere, which means that under that license clause there is nowhere on your pc it has no business to do. To paraphrase Rogers and Feindstein, "you can't have anywhere you're not allowed to search, and if you do, you can't tell anyone, because that just gives the people you're looking for comfort and aids them" (and I wish that was humorous exaggeration, but it's not)

So either Steam's snooping everywhere (and we already know it has) including places it shouldn't be looking, in which case you're looking a little foolish right now
    OR
    Steam's snooping everywhere, but you consider that to be acceptable, in which case you seem to be ready to vilify one program for potentially doing something, when that thing has been done by your personal cheerleader for years (are you a writer for Brietbart by any chance?)

Either way, while I'm no ARC fan, I'm also no Steam fan either. Which is why the ONLY time I've ever installed it, was on a virtualbox constructed for that purpose.

Then again, I'm one of those that hates the waste of resources of things like ARC. Moores Law isn't an excuse to be sloppy or lazy.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's still funny that people compare ARC to Steam in terms of annoyance. Maybe it's because I am a Steam user for 10 years already which unlocks some special privileges, but Steam never, ever, shows any kind of advertisment, doesn't use more resources than necessary and doesn't snoop around where it has no business to be.

Say NO to ARC.

Ummm as soon as you log on to steam it shows you Ads for other games to buy...as soon as i log onto Arc it shows me STO, and the STO webpage

Also if you think steam is not looking up your information, you might want to read some terms you agreed to.

Anywho my problem is not with Arc, but the game industry as a whole with all these clients...get together in some sort of Super Game conference and crate a universal distributor, because this is getting ridiculous.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    neppakyo wrote: »
    Should start a petition to remove arc.

No one wants this TRIBBLE software.

I agree with this petition, but not to entirely remove ARC, just limit it to a choice as some still wanna use it. While allowing the rest of us to just go about our gaming fun without hindrance. 10 forward would be a good place for that thread. But I recommend another start it instead of me. Remember to tell your fleet mates and friends, if they agree with allowing the player a choice. Tell em to cast a vote.

We need the voice actor for "Griz" to lead us. lol (Champions Online ref.)
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Anywho my problem is not with Arc, but the game industry as a whole with all these clients...get together in some sort of Super Game conference and crate a universal distributor, because this is getting ridiculous.

Steam is the closest we will get to that we will not get a universal one as the gaming companys like EA (Origin) and PWE (ARC) are getting greedy and rather use there own systems as it they believe it will give the more money.

All it does is drive people like me away I no longer play any EA games that need Origin and if games do need something like that they are usually on my Steam account which is the only one I want and need.

So PWE needs to wonder what will get the more people buying zen a launcher that is within a software that is another launcher or something that we have been able to use orginally from day one.

I for one use the original launcher if Arc goes mandatory then I for one will uninstall the game and ony if I can be bothered will I install STO using Steam and that may take weeks or months to be inclined or feel like doing so unless I find another game to install (And there is a few out there that I will invest time with) it would also make me strengthen my resolve on not to give any more money to a company that forces there community to use something they do not need or want.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Ummm as soon as you log on to steam it shows you Ads for other games to buy...as soon as i log onto Arc it shows me STO, and the STO webpage

Also if you think steam is not looking up your information, you might want to read some terms you agreed to.

As soon as I log onto steam it shows my games library. I don't know where you guys get "all the ads" from. I've never seen ads in steam, ever. Sure, the shop page advertises games, yet I never saw those when I didn't want to.

As far as the snooping goes, I just can say that I never witnesses Steam collecting data which wasn't associated with the games and services I used, although we now that it probably wouldn't tell me so. Yet, I don't have any proof of it.

I'm not a flaming fanboy of Steam, I just said that I have it and only use it for games that require it. And when one launcher becomes mandatory for STO I'd chose Steam, though I'd like to continue the STO launcher. I'm sure that thing also collects data, by the way.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited March 2014
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'd wager the purpose for this insuring integrity of the game making sure no other third party program or software modifications have been made to give any type of upper hand.
    That would be a checksum on its OWN files, not MY files. Which, incidentally, it fails at. I've tried to troubleshoot weird install errors before, and did an md5 on my instalsl just to see how it didn't match up with working ones. Turns out that not a single one matched, so every single install is apparently broken in some way. 6 different STO installs. None of them match. All of them are somehow therefore corrupt in different ways, with no reference install to match them against. So far as ensuring the integrity of the game goes, the system presently fails miserably even in the absence of shady activity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So what is a fan who paid for a lifetime membership to do?

Steam.

/10char
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    darthjoker1darthjoker1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am reposting this simply because this guy gets it. ARC OFFERS NOTHING!!

• Options
    l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The future of Arc, mmmm let me recall ......

To be abandoned on top of a mountain after a great flood of player tears ! This is my prediction (you missed this boat YEARS ago)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    The future of Arc, mmmm let me recall ......

To be abandoned on top of a mountain after a great flood of player tears ! This is my prediction (you missed this boat YEARS ago)

What ARC did for me---> =T.T=
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    LOL! It starts off like "ever wonder what we have been doing with all of your feedback", I know the answer to that: IGNORING IT!!!!!!!

They turned the anniversary 'thank you' event into 'dance for it scum' after ignoring ALL feedback. My house plants listen better than PWE and Cryptic. Not sure if I will keep playing after it becomes mandatory or not.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    What ARC did for me---> =T.T=
    Um, free Khan costume? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Um, free Khan costume? :P

You know the funny thing is, I bit when that shiny was dropped down before me too. But when I downloaded ARC on my temp PC, it was going to make me reinstall the whole game again....had that not happened, I wouldnt have found out what the program did while trying to find out what went wrong with launching the game...i never got my khan unlock, just a wiser understanding of a company I had been blindly praising...I guess you guys have had a big laugh at my expense for not just submitting to the company store....but if I have to explain why I didnt, you probably wouldnt understand where im coming from anyways. :/

The Red Pill

The Blue Pill
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Say NO to ARC.

Ah, but do you remember how mentaly mental everyone went when they were told Half Life 2 required Steam? And how utterly bobbins it was to start with?

See that swing over by that roundabout?
    giphy.gif