test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why Star Trek Online is still the best MMO on the market.

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
Don't get me wrong. STO has a laundry list of problems, many of them completely arbitrary and easily fixable. But in spite of it's myriad issues, after about a half a year of bouncing from MMO to MMO, I can safely say that Star Trek Online stands tall as the best MMO on the market, and here's why:

1. What's in a name? A lot actually.

I can name my captain whatever I want. That might seem like a silly thing to put as No. 1 but after seeing 50 variations of XXXSUPER_HAXORS_360NOSCOPES_1997XXX it makes me really happy to be able to name a character "Steve Buscemi" and call it a day. As an added perk, it's easier to see your captain as an actual character in a story if they have a real name. It's hard to be immersed in a story if you're characters name is ULTIMATE90SGIRL27.

Bonus Round: Want to change your name in STO? It's about $4 USD. In TERA? About $10. Not even kidding.

2. Killer character? Killer haircut? Killer price.

If I'm bored, I can walk up to any tailor in any social zone and immediately change my captain into a completely different character if I so wish. Sure it costs a little bit of Energy Credits, but you can get them without trying. In other MMO's I've tried? Be prepared to fork over $10 or even $20 USD every time you feel like wearing a different haircut.

3. Fear the Tux. Fear it.

In STO, what armour you have on has no impact on what you actually look like. In fact, other than Champions, APB Reloaded, and the now defunct CoH/CoV I don't know of any other MMO's that do this. In every other MMO, it's always "Too bad that 10th level armour looks so cool with it's gold flame patterns, it's stats are terrible compared to that 30th level potato sack with the all the high res texture quality of mud.

Bonus Round: Some MMO's let you use premium outfits to change end level gear. Too bad you wasted $20 because the new patch is out, and all the new endgame sets are much better than anything you currently have.

4. Time limits are terrible.

In far, far too many MMO's, items you earn are temporary. Felt like taking a break? Wanted to play something else for a little while? Too bad. It's been 30 day's since you last logged out and all your best items/costumes have disappeared. Don't have enough money to buy them again? Time to grind for them all over again~! At least the time limits in STO GIVE you stuff.

5. Community? Well, I hear it's a show.

Many, many MMO forums are complete utter wastelands. Nary a post, nary a community manager, not a single dev. STO however has one of the most vibrant and colourful communities on the internet.

6. Devs that listen.

Okay, okay, they're not perfect, and a lot of requests go ignored. (William Ware Theiss costumes? Where are they!?!?!) But they do visit the forums, and it's fairly easy to talk to them if you know where to look. Sure, it might take them 3 1/2 years but they do listen.

And I think I'll stop it here. I've given enough ammo for the trolls to blow over for now. :P
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    STO is definitely among the best, if not the best. You're right that it has a number of challenges that still need to be taken care of by the Devs (or the GMs, in some cases), but I've been tremendously impressed with both Cryptic and PWE compared to a number of other companies and their products/services/prices.

Now, if only they would bring back the daily events (PUG PvE has become a TRIBBLE shoot, where you are more likely to wind up with a team that doesn't even know what the optionals are, let alone how to do them, or worse, a bunch of noobs flying all over the map not doing anything they should be doing, and of course we still have those jerks who bail from Fleet Alert just before the siege group shows up), give more attention to the KDF (fix/expand the color palette, for one thing!), and make Romulans into a full faction (or two, because I'm tired of the Tal'Shiar-lovers and reactionary imperialists starting nonsense in the Romulan Gameplay forum and want them to have their own forum so I don't have to see their efforts at denialism, historical revisionism, and trolling -- and I might even take some interest in PvP in STO if I could fight them outside a private match).
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Only other MMO I played was WoW. From what I see STO is lot better. My character has more customize options. And I can do a change up if I wish. However most of the time is just outfit or hair style. Also I can show my armor kit or just my uniform and it costs little. However on WoW the price just keeps going up. And you have to store your items that you want to change into on looks. Where here its on a UI options so no extra gear to take up space. Space and ground fighting is great as you can play around with both. Where on WoW your stuck only ground fighting. Grinding is lot better as well. On STO its fun and lot less of a chore. Where WoW you had to be on there each day or your grind took forever to get it done. The missions scale with you and the rewards. So you can go back and get some items that is still useful at higher levels. Or if you can change the challenge level and do them again to test your skills.

Compared to WoW I stay with STO much better and fun.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • serevnserevn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its the one game I can always fall back on for entertainment when all other games fail me. Although I generally just roam around in Ker'rat in those cases.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have played quite a few MMOs. I sometimes play DCUO (Which is a great game) and SWTOR (A great game ruined by stupid restrictions.$30 to change your guild name? Really?)

I keep coming back to STO. Nuff said.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • aarek1987aarek1987 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In STO your character/captain name isn't as important due to the @handle, which is the main method of identifying different players' characters. In TERA, your name is your identity which is why it makes sense that it would be more costly to change it.

As far as STO being the best MMO out there, that's disputable. There are a lot of different genres of MMOs that play in vastly different ways, so calling STO the best of all is a bit of a stretch.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Other best part is since I only play a few hours per week. I love the F2P option. So now its not like I'm forced to play to get my $ worth out of subscribing to it. Plus having to buy the additional ships, uniforms, etc on top of that monthly fee. Yes I take the F2P for granted, but I show my support buying from the store. Which I have bought many items and still buying.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It definitely has one of the best F2P models I've ever seen.

Sometimes I try to look around for some other F2P games to play every now and then, and I always compare their models to STO only to find that they fall short. By a lot. Makes it hard to look at anything else. :P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    STO is one of the best for the simple fact that as a f2p player, sure you can't get some stuff, but you are not severly gimped with less command bars, ships or the like. And sure getting a tier 5 ship can be a pain, but it is doable either by joining a fleet or grinding Dil to exchange for Zen to buy ships.

All and all even with some of the problems, it is better than a bunch out there in customization, ability to get things and generally having fun.

Yeah maybe not the BEST, but one of the better ones around.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OP, thank you for your comments. I'm not a "gamer" and have no experience in other games. I play STO because I am a Star Trek fan. It's a blast and I'm loving it. Too many "hate" threads make me start to believe this game won't be around long. Your comments give me hope...

:)
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can safely say that Star Trek Online stands tall as the best MMO on the market, and here's why:
    Well, sure. If it weren't, I would be playing that other game instead of this one. Isn't that obvious? In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. That doesn't mean this isn't the worst MMO I've ever played. If the better ones I was playing before still existed, I'd still be playing them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can definitely say that, as an MMO, Star Trek Online stresses me out the least. It is also the most friendly with my internet connection (Verizon DSL shared by five people on average every night).
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Bug fixing, Polishing and keeping older ships inline with newer ones are the thing that top my priority list. These things do not top cryptic's list.

Despite having inverse priorities to my own cryptic have still produced my favorite MMO. Not cirtain how they managed that to be honest...
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    3. Fear the Tux. Fear it.

In STO, what armour you have on has no impact on what you actually look like. In fact, other than Champions, APB Reloaded, and the now defunct CoH/CoV I don't know of any other MMO's that do this. In every other MMO, it's always "Too bad that 10th level armour looks so cool with it's gold flame patterns, it's stats are terrible compared to that 30th level potato sack with the all the high res texture quality of mud.

Bonus Round: Some MMO's let you use premium outfits to change end level gear. Too bad you wasted $20 because the new patch is out, and all the new endgame sets are much better than anything you currently have.
    Normally I'd have a HUGE problem with this, being a blatant appeal of storyline and gameplay segregation. But in STO, it very well could have a storyline excuse in the form of hologram clothing.
  • cybermanthcybermanth Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »
    OP, thank you for your comments. I'm not a "gamer" and have no experience in other games. I play STO because I am a Star Trek fan. It's a blast and I'm loving it. Too many "hate" threads make me start to believe this game won't be around long. Your comments give me hope...

CM

I just wanted to encourage you in that every single MMO out there has their forums littered with hate posts. ALL of them. :) It's generally safe to completely ignore them as you might ignore the trash mail you likely receive on a daily basis.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited March 2014

CM

I play a few different mmos by totally different company if you listen to the fans all of them are abut to close. gamers are a.. emotional group anything can grounds for "ruined forever" "it's going under" comments.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    cybermanth wrote: »
    I just wanted to encourage you in that every single MMO out there has their forums littered with hate posts. ALL of them. :) It's generally safe to completely ignore them as you might ignore the trash mail you likely receive on a daily basis.

Pretty much what this guy said.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I haven't played enough MMOs to say how it stands up, but it's definitely the best free-to-play game I've played. It's a pricing model I usually hate and even examples of "good" pricing often feel exploitative to me, but STO is actually pretty fair with the dilithium exchange. I can play a few hours a day, maybe even less, and earn enough from that to get anything I want from the C-store in a few weeks. It's awesome.

I do feel the pricing overvalues some items and undervalues others, but it's hardly the disconnect that most other F2P games have, where I don't have to option to buy premium items without cash, or if an exchange exists it's not fair at all. STO is incredibly good in this regard, and it deserves a lot more praise than it gets for it.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • captainvallentcaptainvallent Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I do want to chime in and say, that I totally agree with the OP's comments.

STO is a phenomenal game! And, placed highly amongst my favorites.
    My number one reason: Two fantastic expansions (Legacy of Romulus and The Sphere) for free... FREE! Other titles usually charge you money for that stuff, so I'm told.
    I'm having so much fun shooting at Dinosaurs with Frickin Lazors on their heads, I felt like I was stealing from them. So, I bought a ton of zen to make up for it. :P <3

You guys rock, Cryptic.
    d7s_small.jpg
  • mouertemouerte Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Agree nice to see its not only doom on the forum:)
    Thx criptic for good game.;)
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sure this game can use some polish. and more polish. Ok we need a lot of polish. That is the big thing this game lacks.

One thing I appreciate in this game is the freebies they do give away. The breen ships and risian corvette are the best example of this. They are the equivalent of lock box ship given away for free. They could have put them in a lock box. They could have put them in the c-store of lobi store. The grind for them is minimal compared to grinding the ec to buy one on the exchange.

There is customer appreciation at cryptic. I mention the free ships because ships is sto's main money maker and when they give one of that caliber to anyone for free you gotta really thank them for it.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    @OP Some great points made (the example to the last one is debatable, but the point made itself mostly true) :)

CM

As annoying some of these "hate" posts may be, these people care (even if some of them would not agree on that at the posting moment) otherwise they would not bother to post.

Fear the day people stop bothering to post what they don't like. That will be the first deathknell.*

Typing about that reminds me of a dev observation or study I read some time ago in which the heated fanboys got identified as worst possible damage to a game because they just tell stuff the devs want to hear (feel good stuff; understandable) and bash any critic who posts about problems (besides work stuff also can turn into an ego "now the opposite" thing form some devs because the critic must be the enemy, otherwise he would not tell stuff devs don't like to read).

*exception would be if the game has reached true perfectionism and the big amount of players just can't think of anythink they don't like/that could be improved.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aarek1987 wrote: »
    In STO your character/captain name isn't as important due to the @handle, which is the main method of identifying different players' characters. In TERA, your name is your identity which is why it makes sense that it would be more costly to change it.

As far as STO being the best MMO out there, that's disputable. There are a lot of different genres of MMOs that play in vastly different ways, so calling STO the best of all is a bit of a stretch.

In other MMO's your identity is actually your email. Which companies aren't supposed to just give out, so they can't use it as your handle. In short, it's not hard, it's just a lazy lazy way to make a couple of extra bucks.
    @OP Some great points made (the example to the last one is debatable, but the point made itself mostly true) :)

tacofangs wrote: »

Why thank you.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Being the best MMO in this market is not exactly a hard-earned achievement. When the competition is TRIBBLE, you only have to be rose-scented TRIBBLE to be "better."
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OP , a number of your comments are related to cosmetics .
    And I get that . To some it's important .
    (I could not stand the look of SWTOR for long after 3+ years in STO.)

But let's start at the beginning .

- You were out there trying other MMO's for 1/2 a year .
    Why ?
    Should I hesitate to guess that it was content related ?
    You're welcome to answer if you wish .
    For myself ... I'm kind of curious if I already did Infected 10.000 times or not ?!
    It's a random number to be sure , but I do have several hundred's worth of Infected under my belt before it was split up into mini-STF's .

- As to the Dev's listening ... -- let's just say that what they hear and what they listen to are two different things . I don't consider your example to be a positive one ... and the last EP didn't even bother to say 'goodbye' (the second time) .
    See I was around when the Devs were still talking like "we" meant them and us .

- Now I don't doubt that STO has a generous and even profitable financial model .
    But that model was achieved by turning this game into what it was never intended to be at it's start ... , and that has caused disappointment and dare I say even heartbreak along the way .
    On the practical side -- that "generous model" (or something else entirely) has caused this game to become a grind fest .
    Before , the 'deal' was : we give you subs , you give us content .
    Now it's you give us Lockboxes and grind , and we give you money if we choose .
    For many of us , about 90% of our time in game is spent grinding .
    If that 'fun' equals to your enjoyment of cosmetics -- more power to you .

And I'm sorry , but the answer that "it's like every other MMO" does not cut it for me .
    I'd rather have 2-3 new STF's and 3-4 FE series and a PVP map and a few missions then the "epic gaming" that STO promotes .
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    OP , a number of your comments are related to cosmetics .
    And I get that . To some it's important .

No really.
    - You were out there trying other MMO's for 1/2 a year. Why?

I got bored and wanted to do something else. It's not like it's the first time I did it, and It certainly won't be the last.
    - As to the Dev's listening ...

A lot of MMO devs don't listen at all. As in they don't even visit the forums. Ever.
    - Now I don't doubt that STO has a generous and even profitable financial model.

I'm going to stop you right there. After seeing countless shard transfer costs, single character unlocks (You think lockboxes and the Lobi store items are bad? In most MMO's every item in the cash shop is single character only), limited time items, lockboxes with limited time items, very expensive limited time items, untradable items, 3 month long leveling periods, even worse PvP, gankers, botters, and trolls, bad guild mechanics, pay for loot drops , quest rewards that require money to use (Seriously SWtoR? What the TRIBBLE?), paywalls for certain areas of the map.........

I think I'll forgive STO's method.
    And I'm sorry , but the answer that "it's like every other MMO" does not cut it for me .
    I'd rather have 2-3 new STF's and 3-4 FE series and a PVP map and a few missions then the "epic gaming" that STO promotes .

Hey now. Don't knock on my pretty outfits. I have plenty of issues with them as they are. (TRIBBLE you off duty slot!!!!!)

But you're missing something. We are beginning to get more of the things you're asking for. Season 7, Season 8, even the upcoming Season 9 are more of the stuff you're asking for. Sure, it's not every month, but we weren't even getting that when STO was Pay to Play. Sure, there is a lot to be grumpy about (My poor neglected bridge officers.......) But there's a lot to be grateful for. ;)
  • torleiktorleik Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    STO has a few issues around its end-game and content. There's no getting away from that. Tons of new shinies and not a lot of things to use the new shiny on. Give me more things to do in space. The new space adventure zone was a good idea, but it really needs better rewards.

Take the ground battlezone idea and put it in space. I'm not even a fan of ground combat and I loved the Voth battlezone.

The point about character naming though strikes a big nerve with me. Every time I go to a new MMO, type in a name and get "That name is taken." all I can think of is..."what a bunch of amateurs". Identity management has moved on! To date: blizzard.net, Guild Wars 2 and the Cryptic games are the only ones I know of to have worked that out.

I generally agree with the other points but I don't think they make or break a game.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aarek1987 wrote: »

The price is not the only important aspect here - the more important thnig is that it doesn't matter if there is another Samantha Tanner, Clara Soft, Jake Miller or Patrick Riker or whatever on the servers - you can both keep your name, without needing to get "creative" with numbers or what not. Your character name is only already chosen if you have used that name for another of your own characters. Same thing for the ship name.

The charactername@accountname concept is so simply and so genius that every MMO should adopt it yesterday. (Or did Cryptic patent or trademark the idea?)

What is a shame that they have the great customziation system in their engine and don't seem to utilize it fully in Neverwinter. At least the last time I checked, you had a similar setup as in other games, where costumes must be bought expensively and can be linked to stats. I get that it has some "immersion" appeal, but ultimately, it's unfun if you just want to create a cool looking character.

In TOR, they finally introduced adaptable gear and made moddable gear so you could have pretty much any benefit on any look. Much preferrable to me.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    STO is my favourite MMO. I'm not sure its technically the best (which is still very subjective on many issues), others are larger, more polished, more intricate etc, but i just dont enjoy them as much.

I love the FE, the mission quality is certainly above most MMO mission types. The casual nature that we can just play for a few minutes or a few hours. The graphics are excellent. The Trek VO's add a sense of nostalgia.

I like the model. The way the game is free but the options are charged gives people a lot of freedom. Even ships which are expensive are so much better than mounts for other games which often cost even more.

There are tons of things I would like improved but the game is constantly heading in the right direction and I'm happy with that.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I cant help agreeing with you sto is the only mmo I never tire of, o.k there are a few very minor bugs, and there are a few things that you think could have been implemented better.
    like the elevator doors that take you to the shipyard in earth space dock that refuse to open and how when you select to travel to bata ursae after leaving sol it always asks you if you want to enter delta volanis as you pass by.
    but overall there is not an awful lot to complain about really, though you wouldn't think it to read through the forums sometimes.
    above all else I have found sto to be the most generous mmo out there, I cant speak for any of the other perfect world games as I have never played them but of all the other mmo`s I have sampled sto is the most undemanding money wise.
    there is virtually nothing you cant get in the game without the need to spend real cash, the only thing you need to do is play as much as you can and eventually you will earn enough dilithium to buy that item from the c-store you have always wanted, that's assuming there are other players out there that want to buy your dilithium for zen of course.
    that's if they don't give it away as a free gift first if your lucky.

and it has been proved time and again that the devs do listen to us players, every now and then bugs do get fixed and features that have been asked for get added to the game like the ship swap feature, quick equip and layout save plus many more things besides.

I will always be greatful for all that the devs do for us and all the fun I have playing sto.

thanks guys.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.