test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why Star Trek Online is still the best MMO on the market.

Comments

• paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mvp333 wrote: »
    It IS a bad thing, Solace. Though there's nothing wrong with having a popular IP as the main draw of the game, sometimes I feel the STO is relying on it to get away with things that other MMOs would lose players for.

The problem isn't that the game is based on an IP. It's that Cryptic/PWE have exclusive MMO rights to that IP. That's why they can get away with more than other MMOs - because Star Trek fans dissatisfied with STO have nowhere else to turn. (This sort of thing is hardly unique to Trek or to Cryptic/PWE, mind you; for example, sports gamers dissatisfied with Madden NFL have longed for an alternative for years, but to no avail because EA Sports has exclusive rights to develop video games based on the NFL.)
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Here, here! I agree with all of that! Also, Star Trek is the only IP that really interests me enough to stay and play for so long.
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    errab wrote: »
    I enjoyed DCUO and found a way to score a two year membership to it will full access for less than $50.00 :eek:

But I got bored of DUCO after a few months and dropped it.

I played SWTOR and never even finished the story missions before I went :confused: and cancelled my membership.

I've had my issues with the way STO is run at times but I still really enjoy playing here and I agree that STO is one of the better MMO's on the market.
    Yeah, I quit playing DCUO after a few months when they had that server hack where a lot of people's account data got corrupted. I found myself unable to login and customer support was seemingly unreachable, so I quit and switched to STO.

I recently started to play Champions out of curiousity and the ARC promos.... and recreated my character from DCUO. :P Ah.... fun times. :D
    The problem isn't that the game is based on an IP. It's that Cryptic/PWE have exclusive MMO rights to that IP. That's why they can get away with more than other MMOs - because Star Trek fans dissatisfied with STO have nowhere else to turn. (This sort of thing is hardly unique to Trek or to Cryptic/PWE, mind you; for example, sports gamers dissatisfied with Madden NFL have longed for an alternative for years, but to no avail because EA Sports has exclusive rights to develop video games based on the NFL.)
    Other than the generic MMOS, when is that NOT true?

DCUO might not be the only Superhero genre game, but it's the only one with DC characters.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't care if it's the only Trek MMO, If i am not satisfied with something or hate it, I'm not going to play it:rolleyes:

If they opened a trek theme park, and everyday the Ride breaks and kills everyone, are you going to still go because it's the only Trek theme park.:confused:

I just never understood the mentality in people who stay playing but hate everything about the game, and complain how they get slapped in the face everyday,because they have a kinky fetish with slapping. :D

I loved SWG, and love Star Wars, but I hate TOR, and I'm not going to force myself to play it because it's the only Star Wars mmo out.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I don't care if it's the only Trek MMO, If i am not satisfied with something or hate it, I'm not going to play it:rolleyes:

If they opened a trek theme park, and everyday the Ride breaks and kills everyone, are you going to still go because it's the only Trek theme park.:confused:

I just never understood the mentality in people who stay playing but hate everything about the game, and complain how they get slapped in the face everyday,because they have a kinky fetish with slapping. :D

I loved SWG, and love Star Wars, but I hate TOR, and I'm not going to force myself to play it because it's the only Star Wars mmo out.

I agree with you so much, are you me?
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You guys know, deep in your hearts, that without the fabled "Star Trek" IP, you wouldn't be here. A bunch out there would have left long, long ago after certain things were done by the devs (or what they've failed to do).

Longtime players know of STO's history.

And if it weren't for the "Star Trek" name, this game would have been dead LONG AGO, or at least in a near dead state.

My favorite "What If" comic was what would happen if Bullseye didn't kill Elektra.

Please tell me how many players Cryptic murders every single day and maybe I'll take your comparison sincerely instead of hyperbolic nonsense.

---

STO is my favorite MMO no matter how many times I am disappointed by it. The devs listen and interact, and I've been given 99% of the things I've asked for. I've compromised on plenty from a player's perspective. For every disappointment I'm faced with, there are usually 2 or 3 things around the corner to take that disappointment away.

And that's what it comes down to, people being willing to compromise. You know what the very best compromise is? The very best compromise is where neither side is completely happy.

In the real world, as adults, we have to compromise on many things. This isn't the movies or books where there's good and evil. The world is made up of gray areas, and I accept the bad with the good. The people at Cryptic are human. Mistakes are made. I'm human and I've made mistakes. I have flaws and quirks just as anyone does. I'm in no position to judge Cryptic for not being perfect and catering to my desires 100% of the time.

In the end, this is the only Star Trek MMO there is. And there's no sign of there ever being another. Those who wish this game to die are the worst kind of Star Trek fans. They are willing to condemn the entire playerbase to unhappiness based on their own selfish perspective and opinions.

And that is the worst kind of person I can think of. Those who are willing to anger and depress other people who share their same interests for no other reason than to be destructive and selfish. There's no education there. No constructive criticism. There's no morals to be stated, no alternatives. Only absolution. And only destruction.

The MMO market is cutthroat and brutal. For all my negative commentary on Cryptic, they are doing the right things for the most part.At the end of the day, no matter what negative commentary there is or what stress there might be -- every dev can go home and say that they're working on the only Star Trek MMO there is, and it's quite possibly the most awesome Star Trek game there ever will be.

We live in an era where we can play in the Star Trek universe online, with ships and uniforms and phasers and bat'leths. There doesn't need to be anything more complex than that.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    I have to admit compared to what's out there, STO has them beat.

Eight and half seasons of content, enough to keep a casual gamer (1x a week) occupied for months. Add to that the end game content, it's not bad for the money (free).

Longer term players - essentially those who will level new toons to try new things had it great with the old event calendar. Mirror Incursion made levelling fast and easy. While that's gone for now the sponsorship in reputations is down right amazing.

Redoing the existing content for the established player can also be fun. I'm able to level a toon with the existing content in 4 days (sorry, can't do the 24-hour runs anymore).

I added a second klink because of it. Quite happy with the experience.

Now the game is undergoing a series of changes. Could this be a series of bad moves or a renaissance for the entire game? My hope is for the latter.

What stands out for me - the one draw that brings me back almost daily is the friendships; fleeties, stf'rs and even the forums.

I finally got into Battlezone this last week. I have always hated ground, but with a liitle tweaking, ground is a lot of fun.

It's definitely a game I recommend.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Having to pay AD for reputation projects and perk unlocks? In STO we are rewarded Dil for that stuff!
    Well, we USED to have to pay for it, actually. Rep projects used to COST about as many minerals as they currently GIVE, but in response to this, people rioted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »

Please tell me how many players Cryptic murders every single day and maybe I'll take your comparison sincerely instead of hyperbolic nonsense.

---
    -snip-

Well, they murder a little bit of me, when I play this game at 7AM, and get off at 12PM :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    I'm sorry, I'll 5th grade it up a little....if you go to a Star Trek theme Chuck E. Cheese's, and the Service sucks and the food is gross, and you hate going because you have to grind the Tickets to get your Plastic Defiant toy from the Spock mouse, , but only go because it's the only Trek themes Chuck E. Cheese's you might want to go back to doing what you were doing before STO existed.. :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm sorry, I'll 5th grade it up a little....if you go to a Star Trek theme Chuck E. Cheese's, and the Service sucks and the food is gross, and you hate going because you have to grind the Tickets to get your Plastic Defiant toy from the Spock mouse, , but only go because it's the only Trek themes Chuck E. Cheese's you might want to go back to doing what you were doing before STO existed.. :D

I suppose the question is - what F2P do you really think is better than STO? Are you takling about an imaginary one, or do you have a specific example in mind?

And another view. There are a lot of excellent museums in the world. I am not very likely to visit any of them, because I can do so many other things instead, and museums are just fundamental not that high on my list of things I like to do. But if you cross the concept of museum and the Startrek flavor, I might be interesting, because things that involve Startrek are relatively high on the list of things I'd like to do.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Here here, I play Tera online now and then and it's nice, but sto wins hands down. Cryptic has been known for their character customization options since long before sto and PWE has been vary considerate to insure almost all items you can get by paying cash are available to those that can't afford to pay (and frankly I'm glad they have it structured so well) other companies are not that considerate.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I got bored and wanted to do something else. It's not like it's the first time I did it, and It certainly won't be the last.

See , that is something that is foreign to me .
    I'm not a gamer , I don't game hop , I'm just someone who likes Trek and STO's basic game mechanics (most of them anyway) .

Hey now. Don't knock on my pretty outfits. I have plenty of issues with them as they are.

So you've changed you opinion by the end of the post on this ?
    'Cause you started out by saying that cosmetics don't matter ... . ;)
    But you're missing something. We are beginning to get more of the things you're asking for. Season 7, Season 8, even the upcoming Season 9 are more of the stuff you're asking for.

You've used the term "I'm going to stop you right there" in your reply to me , so allow me to return the favor .
    I did not ask for non-stop adventure zones .
    I did not ask for the non-stop reputation systems .
    I did not ask for dumbed down end game content .
    And this list could go on .

I enjoy STF's . Apparently this means that I'm likely to enjoy raids in other games . I'm sure I would if there would be other Star Trek games .
    I have friends who enjoy PVP (I sometimes dabble in that too) and I have other friends who like the Foundry .
    Apart from the rather surprising Shuttle PVP map , I don't see any of us being catered to very much .
    Know why that is ?
    'Cause I see Cryptic as constantly developing new stuff and constantly abandoning stuff they developed .

Making new STF's or PVP maps or porting more advanced versions of the Foundry from Neverwinter ('cause gods forbid they should actually develop Foundry in STO) -- all of that is NOT a high priority for Cryptic ... , thus contrary to your claims it is not happening -- and this is in spite of STF's being their most replayed content and despite the potential for the both PVP and the Foundry .

So you know what ?
    Go ahead and be happy . That's cool and I'm all for that . :)
    Just don't take offense that some of us think that liking STO as it turned out is akin to liking the Galaxy with it's Lt. Tac slot .

All hail mediocrity & avarage & the All Mighty Metrics !
    edited March 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    See , that is something that is foreign to me .
    I'm not a gamer , I don't game hop , I'm just someone who likes Trek and STO's basic game mechanics (most of them anyway).

If you play enough games, eventually you will find that the littlest things will make or break a game.
    So you've changed you opinion by the end of the post on this ?
    'Cause you started out by saying that cosmetics don't matter ... . ;)

Some people can't take a joke~? :rolleyes:
    All hail mediocrity & avarage & the All Mighty Metrics !

So you've changed you opinion by the end of the post on this ? 'Cause you started out by saying you weren't a gamer... :cool:
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So you've changed you opinion by the end of the post on this ? 'Cause you started out by saying you weren't a gamer... :cool:

Some people can't take sarcasm ? :rolleyes:

... 'cause that's not an answer to most of my claims ... :P
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »

Uh. . . wait. I mean 0. . . ? :o
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

...is there something you would like to confess Taco...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    ...is there something you would like to confess Taco...?

Many tacos died to bring us this information.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014

6. Devs that listen.

Okay, okay, they're not perfect, and a lot of requests go ignored. (William Ware Theiss costumes? Where are they!?!?!) But they do visit the forums, and it's fairly easy to talk to them if you know where to look. Sure, it might take them 3 1/2 years but they do listen.

The evidence from the last two big announcements is that they don't act on our requests and they're not in touch with what we want in the first place. If they were, they wouldn't even have considered making MU a three-week and then gone grind event.

Whether this is due to executive meddling or not, I don't know.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And I think I'll stop it here. I've given enough ammo for the trolls to blow over for now. :P

Funny you should say that...cause it kind of reminded me of the story of the three pigs, and the first one that built his house out of straw...

Then there's also the issue that you didn't describe a MMO, you just described a 3D chatroom set in the Star Trek universe.

STO is probably the best 3D chatroom set in the Star Trek universe, eh?
    edited March 2014
    And I think I'll stop it here. I've given enough ammo for the trolls to blow over for now. :P

Aaaaaaaaaand here they come. Oh well. The positivity was nice while it lasted. :P

I should make another one of these someday.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

So that's what happened to Peregrine_Fa ++++LOST CARRIER++++
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Aaaaaaaaaand here they come. Oh well. The positivity was nice while it lasted. :P

I should make another one of these someday.

Reality isn't always positive.
    edited March 2014
    Reality isn't always positive.

Ain't you just a bottle of sunshine.
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    STO needs Eve online industry and market mechanics. Where everything is player made, either in public industry facilities or fleet facilities. Where taxes and market pvp exist. Where raw materials take mining and contracts. Where hauling is a thing. Where raiding said haulers is a thing. Where market monopolies are a thing.

Phasers by Alliason, cheap and in bulk!

*had one of the largest Blueprint stores in eve before I quit.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
    edited March 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    STO needs Eve online industry and market mechanics. Where everything is player made, either in public industry facilities or fleet facilities. Where taxes and market pvp exist. Where raw materials take mining and contracts. Where hauling is a thing. Where raiding said haulers is a thing. Where market monopolies are a thing.

Phasers by Alliason, cheap and in bulk!

*had one of the largest Blueprint stores in eve before I quit.

Iiiiiiii don't think so. A better market is needed, but I don't think that EVE is the best path to follow.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I haven't played a great deal of MMOs.

FF11, FF14 and Starwars. And this game of course.

But having said that I enjoy STO far more. I've quit all three and STO is the only on I keep coming back to play. While there are glitches and flaws for the most part I'm happy with my Star Trek experience and the pricing model. So much so I went and became a Lifer a few month back because I'm confident I'll keep returning to STO even if I focus on other games for awhile.

For me the biggest pluses are the variety of ships, I can find a few that I'm fairly badass in. The customization options are good too. Ground combat is fun and fairly easy. (On normal difficulty of course.) And most of the storylines and missions are entertaining too. Especially the more recent ones.

But the other big thing is character customization. I can make just about any kind of Captain I want from my own made up alien race for me to role play to a mere human. And I can totally create and customize my bridge crew from a suitably wide variety of species. Granted Tovan isn't a choice but meh, he's only one BOFF. I still get to create the rest of my team.

In any case, keep up the good work Devs, one player at least appreciates it.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    [Self-Redacted] My reply was probably a bit too angry; no good can come it it. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    The evidence from the last two big announcements is that they don't act on our requests and they're not in touch with what we want in the first place. If they were, they wouldn't even have considered making MU a three-week and then gone grind event.

Whether this is due to executive meddling or not, I don't know.

Lol, who's we, i mean really the player base is not united on anything, one group want's A another wants B, and a few stragglers want C,D,E, and F, so who's this WE...there is no we, we're not Borg, there is only You, and I.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »

EvE Online market is awesome! True capitalism with real buy/sell orders to boot: a sheer unrestricted venue to do business. Even scamming is allowed (that I don't like, actually).

EvE Online is PvP, though, all the way. And you have to buy a new ship, and all gear on it, when it blows up. Let's not do that for STO. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg