test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Client side switch to turn off party visuals

Comments

• peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Come on, you know Latinum is useless in this game :D

Yeah, party amps are literally the most useful thing you can spend it on. My latinum spending has gone up by a factor of 10 since those things came out.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, party amps are literally the most useful thing you can spend it on. My latinum spending has gone up by a factor of 10 since those things came out.
    Well, there's also sunglasses, but not all characters can use those, and they're a one time purchase for those that do.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Well, there's also sunglasses, but not all characters can use those, and they're a one time purchase for those that do.

Weren't they just during the summer event though? That's why I wasn't counting them.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2014
    Come on, you know Latinum is useless in this game :D

Well....I did find it handy when the Defera Dailies were broken, and there's the trade DOff assignments...and, as we just learned..sunglasses! :D

Although I will admit maybe I'll pick up some party amps and set them off to celebrate the end of that loathesome Q grind! Much in the same way I saw a group of players in Drozana using one, in a place that was not disrupting anyone else's gameplay, as in away from business areas, and giving players the option of joining the festivities.

If everyone used party amps that responsibly and intelligently, we'd be seeing these threads a lot less. ;)
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
    edited February 2014
    I wonder If they'll add a new one this summer. I'm hoping for a portable mosh pit myself.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes, let's have a client-side switch to disable disco balls and such while leaving those who like them unaffected.

As a bonus, we then get to see what the never-satisfied will find to QQ about next. It's not like they'll ever be happy until everyone is forced to stop "having fun wrong" in any possible way. :rolleyes:
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I still support it!
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
    edited February 2014
    rickdanko wrote: »
    I still support it!

So noted.:rolleyes:

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    legetdumar wrote: »
    Although I will admit maybe I'll pick up some party amps and set them off to celebrate the end of that loathesome Q grind! Much in the same way I saw a group of players in Drozana using one, in a place that was not disrupting anyone else's gameplay, as in away from business areas, and giving players the option of joining the festivities.

Lucky you to find the rare exception where these things WEREN'T being set off right in the middle of a shop/exchange area (the sole purpose of which is conducting business), or right on top of the Dabo table so you can't even complete certain missions without walking into it.

If people want to have fun in a place that isn't disrupting others' gameplay, more power to them. The problem is that disco ballers usually pick areas crowded with people who AREN'T there to goof around, like the ESD exchange. There's no way you can categorize that as anything but trolling.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
    edited February 2014
    kazapsky wrote: »
    Lucky you to find the rare exception where these things WEREN'T being set off right in the middle of a shop/exchange area (the sole purpose of which is conducting business), or right on top of the Dabo table so you can't even complete certain missions without walking into it.

If people want to have fun in a place that isn't disrupting others' gameplay, more power to them. The problem is that disco ballers usually pick areas crowded with people who AREN'T there to goof around, like the ESD exchange. There's no way you can categorize that as anything but trolling.

I can. I do it quite a lot and I am not doing it to be a troll. I simply want to get the largest amount of people dancing under the amp I can, and those are some of the best places to achieve this. That's all there is to it. No trolling involved.:D

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Please explain how walking into a discoball disrupted your gameplay when you were trying to complete a mission.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    grimrak1 wrote: »
    Please explain how walking into a discoball disrupted your gameplay when you were trying to complete a mission.

If you need it explained to you how a toon suddenly going into epileptic fits when you're trying to get something done is disruptive, any explanation given will fly right over your head.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
    edited February 2014
    If you need it explained to you how a toon suddenly going into epileptic fits when you're trying to get something done is disruptive, any explanation given will fly right over your head.

So in other words, you can't.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2014
    it breaks my star trek immersion

I support this give us a turn off button
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • bignutterbignutter Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    it breaks my star trek immersion

I support this give us a turn off button

What you mean the walking Homer Simpson, Deadpool Spiderman and Joker, doesn't?

I was around when it worked in battles. That was some of the most useful trolling I've ever seen. Effect removed in this patch note: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=786811
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Client side switch? Sure whatever doesn't bother me none however that said, there is a lot bigger pressing issues than a disco ball that makes everyone dance that pressing one button negates the animation so I'd like to see the bigger issues tackled FIRST before this gets handled.

But really to call EVERYONE that uses them trolls is a bit absurd. I use them for fun and enjoyment am I a troll? By your definition yes. But if I'm having fun with them, and others around me are enjoying them as well, are we ALL at that point trolls?

I play this game because I love star trek, but I also love having fun. I've used them for events, parties, just plain ole shooting of bubbles everywhere etc. I'm sure this is all about the disco ball (as the others you just turn off certain options in your graphics settings and they're gone) and it's a very VERY small issue to be perfectly honest.

Trust me, I get what it's like to be harassed and trolled. I get it regularly (especially when my forum handle matched my in game handle heh), but the BIGGEST THING I'VE LEARNED as being a DJ on numerous stations since I was 18, part of stations on STO, mods on things, developers on others etc is that if you let it bother you then people will continue to troll you. You ignore it, or even engage in little light banter people will get bored and go off to find others or leave entirely.

Ignoring people that bother you is your best weapon. (Not the actual /ignore command but actually ignoring them).

Ignoring works to a point Askray. Beyond that point it does not work. Now you say its not an issue.

Yet, how many threads on the devices have been closed due to degenerating into flame wars? Apparently its an issue in the community. Now if the dev team is using it as a smoke screen to draw attention away from more, in your words "...lot bigger pressing issues than a disco ball..." just a little warning. A friendly warning. Are the odds that good that anyone believes its not going to backfire on em?.

The devices are used to troll. My experience since last summers event is they are used to troll a very very great deal.

Please also not that the Subspace Party amps do evidence a bug. Please refer to the following bug report. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1016131

If the sub space party amplifier worked as the tool tip says it wouldn't be an issue, at least not as big of one. Because it does not, it is.

It doesn't even synchronize everyone dance so we can do something entertaining with it like doing synchronized group dance.

It's flawed. Its divisive in the community, and keeps generating threads of complaint. And surprisingly a whole lot of strongly stated opinions that "oh they are harmless!".

Ummmm... Askray... your a lot younger then I am... by at least 20 years. But that puts you in good company so hey now worries... But my experience says when there is THIS much on going discussion (polite or less so..) on one minor item in a game allegedly abused in a game...

1. It's not so minor an item.
    2. It's no longer a minor issue.
    3. If its easily fixed, it should be fixed.

(I find it difficult to believe this would be a difficult fix. Leave the visual effect, its cheering, eliminate the forced dance. If folk wanna stand around looking like a bump on a log, that's their choice, if should be respected. Assuming adding an opt out option for each player is just to difficult.. if that sounds slightly derisive.. that just my opinion.. its just program code and an interface entry.)

It's an annoyance. It's not critical to play involving game mechanics... not a big deal? In that regard I agree. It does how ever effect play that does not involve game mechanics... Social... gaming. I've been on the receiving end of it. Not much fun.

And Askray.. I belive you stopped being a DJ before these party amps came out. To get away from them social party groups have switched instances, and had the trollers follow. Parties have been moved to starship instances, fleet bases, obscure barely known cross faction social zones.

May I suggest that a Cryptic dev quietly approch the DJ's for the various Net Radio Stations providing service to the STO community and ask THEM?

If you want an expert opinion, ask the folks that do the in game dance parties about how disruptive they are, and have been. Go to all of the Stations and folks doing shows. Subspace Radio, Pirate Radio, MMO Radio, Trek Radio, and at least 5 more I haven't listed are are much smaller. The one thing they all have in common is a 24/7 stream, and DJ's that like to go in show and have dance parties, take requests, and add to the community.

If you want a list of DJ's, their in game at handles, and E-mail contact information I would be more then happy to get the information for you the Community Manager. Most of the DJ's make a point to stay OFF of the forums and rarely if ever post here. Several of them, such as the SSR DJ's have rules they are required to comply with where they are restricted from what they can post on a game forum that they provide service for (Gaming Radio Network, the operator of Subspace Radio has such rules and policies)

They may not be able to provide the information publicly, by if they are approached and asked by the studio and PWI, that's an entirely different matter. As long as it in the rules they have to be responsible for it should be fine, and you'll get the opinions of folks who have had to put up with these things, and the unhappiness of their listeners for months of being trolled with the silly things.

Of course.. They could just get quietly fixed...and then their would be no issue, or non-issue.

But any complaining about the fix are not liekly to come out and say

"That sux, I can't troll people with em any more.. not fair!"

Though, I'd laugh!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    edited February 2014
    Ignoring works to a point Askray. Beyond that point it does not work. Now you say its not an issue.

Yet, how many threads on the devices have been closed due to degenerating into flame wars?

This would probably be avoided if the anti-social device people would stop screaming at those of the community who enjoy these devices.

Apparently its an issue in the community.

If you define "the community" as "the same five or six people who keep recreating these threads after the mods rightfully close them" then yes, it is an issue in the community.

Now if the dev team is using it as a smoke screen to draw attention away from more, in your words "...lot bigger pressing issues than a disco ball..." just a little warning. A friendly warning. Are the odds that good that anyone believes its not going to backfire on em?.

The devices are used to troll. My experience since last summers event is they are used to troll a very very great deal.

This is just...wow. Words fail me. Paranoia over a "dev smokescreen" about social devices?! Please, this is a game. Please stop taking it so seriously, it's not good for your health.

Please also not that the Subspace Party amps do evidence a bug. Please refer to the following bug report. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1016131

If the sub space party amplifier worked as the tool tip says it wouldn't be an issue, at least not as big of one. Because it does not, it is.

I think the dev response in that thread is answer enough.

It doesn't even synchronize everyone dance so we can do something entertaining with it like doing synchronized group dance.

Why would a party dance in step with each other all the time? That doesn't sound fun at all. Granted if it happened 5% of the time that would be fun, but all the time? No thanks.

It's flawed. Its divisive in the community, and keeps generating threads of complaint. And surprisingly a whole lot of strongly stated opinions that "oh they are harmless!".

Again, it's only divisive in the community because the same five or six people keep recreating closed threads, and go out of their way to get angry at coloured lights. This is a multiplayer game, people aren't going to conform to your way of playing. You need to learn to share.

Ummmm... Askray... your a lot younger then I am... by at least 20 years.

What has that got to do with anything?!

But that puts you in good company so hey now worries... But my experience says when there is THIS much on going discussion (polite or less so..) on one minor item in a game allegedly abused in a game...

Again, same five or six people who keep recreating the thread.
    1. It's not so minor an item.

Yes it is.
    2. It's no longer a minor issue.

Yes it is.
    3. If its easily fixed, it should be fixed.

It got fixed already and you can't use it in combat. All problems solved.

(I find it difficult to believe this would be a difficult fix. Leave the visual effect, its cheering, eliminate the forced dance. If folk wanna stand around looking like a bump on a log, that's their choice, if should be respected. Assuming adding an opt out option for each player is just to difficult.. if that sounds slightly derisive.. that just my opinion.. its just program code and an interface entry.)

Or you could focus on fixing all the KDF bugs that have plagued the game since launch.
    It's an annoyance. It's not critical to play involving game mechanics... not a big deal? In that regard I agree. It does how ever effect play that does not involve game mechanics... Social... gaming. I've been on the receiving end of it. Not much fun.

You keep calling anti-social device screaming "social play". Nothing could be further from the truth. While the majority of people see social devices and then come and have fun in the party they create or just not take part if they don't feel like it, there's always a couple of antisocial gamers who'll huff and yell at people to stop trolling and then walk into the party to start hitting the partygoers with their rifle butts, or, as we've seen recently, abuse a bug to try and kill the party goers with a certain npc from a certain mission. These are not the actions of social gamers, sorry. They're the actions of trolls who want to play singleplayer in a multiplayer game.

And Askray.. I belive you stopped being a DJ before these party amps came out. To get away from them social party groups have switched instances, and had the trollers follow. Parties have been moved to starship instances, fleet bases, obscure barely known cross faction social zones.

Wait, you're saying someone held a party in a social area and people, shock horror, used social items at it?! Oh nooooooooo shut the game down this is clear evidence of trolling

May I suggest that a Cryptic dev quietly approch the DJ's for the various Net Radio Stations providing service to the STO community and ask THEM?

If you want an expert opinion, ask the folks that do the in game dance parties about how disruptive they are, and have been. Go to all of the Stations and folks doing shows. Subspace Radio, Pirate Radio, MMO Radio, Trek Radio, and at least 5 more I haven't listed are are much smaller. The one thing they all have in common is a 24/7 stream, and DJ's that like to go in show and have dance parties, take requests, and add to the community.

Yes, please ask the Radiostar DJs how disruptive these social devices are. They've let off more discoballs and party poppers than anyone else I've seen, and they still do all the radio show fun.

If you want a list of DJ's, their in game at handles, and E-mail contact information I would be more then happy to get the information for you the Community Manager. Most of the DJ's make a point to stay OFF of the forums and rarely if ever post here. Several of them, such as the SSR DJ's have rules they are required to comply with where they are restricted from what they can post on a game forum that they provide service for (Gaming Radio Network, the operator of Subspace Radio has such rules and policies)

They may not be able to provide the information publicly, by if they are approached and asked by the studio and PWI, that's an entirely different matter. As long as it in the rules they have to be responsible for it should be fine, and you'll get the opinions of folks who have had to put up with these things, and the unhappiness of their listeners for months of being trolled with the silly things.

If they don't want to see social devices then why are they having parties in social zones? Again, this is a multiplayer game, not a singleplayer one. You need to start learning to share, and realise you don't control the game or other players.

Of course.. They could just get quietly fixed...and then their would be no issue, or non-issue.

Well yes there would, because they're wasting their time on "fixing" non-broken items instead of fixing longstanding KDF bugs like they should be.

But any complaining about the fix are not liekly to come out and say

"That sux, I can't troll people with em any more.. not fair!"

Though, I'd laugh!

Yes, clearly all people who use social devices are trolls. Not the people who go out of their way to get angry at them. :rolleyes:
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Grimrak1,

could you straw man some place else? I realize full well that your someone second forum account. Just a quick purusal of the forums establishes that.. you need to learn to NOT cut and paste from your other accounts posts.

Amateur!

One of the problems with internet anonymity, is its difficult to tell when someone being sly and creating multiple accounts just to create an impression that "their" opinion is shared by many.

I don't do that. It's dishonest. It's cheating. And.... I don't need to. I also don't need to point out that the King is riding around bare back buck naked either..Or you would thing I wouldn't have to... But its the internet... You want something fixed.. you better point it out.

Grimrak1 Lets point out the obvious... Players attending a DJ show in game, dancing, role playing , just hanging out are doing you and your no harm.. zero.. none. Most of them you don't even know. SO you run by pop a party amp just to watch a broken, flawed, bugged game device make them dance like puppets on a string.

Grimrak!... those are real people.. Only the art work is fake... the people behind those avatars are real.

This is a Star Trek game.
    Half a century of star trek shows, movies, conventions and game have shown that Trek fans will spend money on thier chosen interest.
    STO Caters to NON GAMERS GEEKS!
    (shocking I know..how could they.. we game them the best button mashing of our lives!).
    I t is aimed specifically at TREK fans of which there are millions apon millions of. This is why Cryptic and PWI make a point of being at TREK conventions, and find it more important to be at one of them then at say E3.

Star Trek fans in the long run are a bit less forgiving about such issues. I'm bother a gamer and a trek fan. This is the Only TREK in town right now, and they're likely to get the IP licence for the next 5 years if they have not all ready. Also.. Trek fans network out side of the game and specificly out side of these forums. Many fan groups have all ready caught on as to how unresponsive Cryptic is about behavior complaints in game.

If you think gamers alone can keep this MMO going and profitable think again. With out the Trek fans, and the Trek IP this game would all ready be dead and shut down. As a space combat game STO isn't very good at all.. The pacing is all wrong.. There's been massive stat creep, and it gets worse every few months. It's taken 4 years to get a decent amount of content. Faction balance is so non existant that were unlikely to see any sort of persistant world PvP ever happening thats worth your time . Honestly as a game.. the only thing that saves it is using it as a massive sand box for social play and bragging rights.

Something that adversly impacts the game social play IS an issue, and will only become a greater on as time goes by with out it being corrected. Errors will get piled on errors... Happens in the design of social games.. MMO's, all the time.... And there are plenty of one years wonders out there to prove it.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    edited February 2014
    Dead horse is OP. Please beat.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

I can. I do it quite a lot and I am not doing it to be a troll. I simply want to get the largest amount of people dancing under the amp I can, and those are some of the best places to achieve this. That's all there is to it. No trolling involved.:D

There you go.

I would call it at least highly inconsiderate to light off a disco ball in a location such as the ESD Bank/Exchange areas.

Conversely, I don't see anything wrong with lighting them off in a "recreational" area such as a club or bar, including near a Dabo table.

But I'm convinced that this is exactly the effect the Devs wanted, to be able to make a large number of players start dancing without actually interrupting normal gameplay.

Note that I am not including role-playing and immersion in the definition of normal gameplay. I am only referring to the mechanics of interacting with objects in the game.

The Devs don't seem to think there's anything wrong with pranking, as long as it doesn't interrupt that definition of normal gameplay. The party amps were designed so you could walk away or keep doing whatever you were doing... the only time you're affected is when you're standing still (and presumably idle). Chatting doesn't count because you're not really interacting with the environment in game system terms.

There are people with bad attitudes on both sides of the issue, in my opinion, and it's the only reason why there's a problem.

If the party amp people would simply control themselves and only drop the party amps in "recreational" areas, or in areas with a large number of idle players, fewer people would care. The fact that some of them don't restrain themselves tells me they're deliberately pranking. It's unfortunate that the Devs turn a blind eye to pranking, but that's the way it is.

It's the same socially-challenged, attention-starved attitude that gives some players a kick hopping across bank terminals other players are using. "Look at me! Look at me!" And it's why some of them eventually go away when they're ignored. Party amps are indeed difficult to ignore, but not impossible.

If the anti-amp people would recognize that the party amps are indeed appropriate in some settings, and that getting a dance animation cast on somebody who's not really moving around anyway is not a big deal, there wouldn't need to be an "off-switch". Nobody guaranteed anybody perfect immersion -- this is not a single-player game. It is kind of funny, if you can look at it in a certain light.

I am neither for or against an "off-switch". I do think the Devs have more important things to do and implement. Just my personal opinion.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • tenelltenell Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Grimrak1,

could you straw man some place else? I realize full well that your someone second forum account. Just a quick purusal of the forums establishes that.. you need to learn to NOT cut and paste from your other accounts posts.

Amateur!

One of the problems with internet anonymity, is its difficult to tell when someone being sly and creating multiple accounts just to create an impression that "their" opinion is shared by many.

I don't do that. It's dishonest. It's cheating. And.... I don't need to. I also don't need to point out that the King is riding around bare back buck naked either..Or you would thing I wouldn't have to... But its the internet... You want something fixed.. you better point it out.

Grimrak1 Lets point out the obvious... Players attending a DJ show in game, dancing, role playing , just hanging out are doing you and your no harm.. zero.. none. Most of them you don't even know. SO you run by pop a party amp just to watch a broken, flawed, bugged game device make them dance like puppets on a string.

Grimrak!... those are real people.. Only the art work is fake... the people behind those avatars are real.

Half a century of star trek shows, movies, conventions and game have shown that Trek fans will spend money on thier chosen interest.
    (shocking I know..how could they.. we game them the best button mashing of our lives!).
    I t is aimed specifically at TREK fans of which there are millions apon millions of. This is why Cryptic and PWI make a point of being at TREK conventions, and find it more important to be at one of them then at say E3.

Star Trek fans in the long run are a bit less forgiving about such issues. I'm bother a gamer and a trek fan. This is the Only TREK in town right now, and they're likely to get the IP licence for the next 5 years if they have not all ready. Also.. Trek fans network out side of the game and specificly out side of these forums. Many fan groups have all ready caught on as to how unresponsive Cryptic is about behavior complaints in game.

If you think gamers alone can keep this MMO going and profitable think again. With out the Trek fans, and the Trek IP this game would all ready be dead and shut down. As a space combat game STO isn't very good at all.. The pacing is all wrong.. There's been massive stat creep, and it gets worse every few months. It's taken 4 years to get a decent amount of content. Faction balance is so non existant that were unlikely to see any sort of persistant world PvP ever happening thats worth your time . Honestly as a game.. the only thing that saves it is using it as a massive sand box for social play and bragging rights.

Something that adversly impacts the game social play IS an issue, and will only become a greater on as time goes by with out it being corrected. Errors will get piled on errors... Happens in the design of social games.. MMO's, all the time.... And there are plenty of one years wonders out there to prove it.

I would have to agree with peetapipmac beating on a dead horse. Also the concerns of a few do not outweigh the many. Also let me ask you this simple question: Would you rather have something that automatically updates your emotes (without the need of having to look for it in through the chatbox and constantly spam in through chat so other people would be able to see it) every few seconds and lasts for two minutes without the need to spam emotes through chat and it also gives use for another currency that has little use in the game to begin with. Would you really get rid of such a wonderful thing that makes the socializing in games and parties easier since it was made for social gamers in mind and for them to use to help their immersion even more.

Also on another note if you spam your emotes way too often and rapidly you will eventually end up silencing yourself in the process. Just saying.
    RlZDKhp.gif
    edited March 2014
    The irony of these debates is it's actually the trolls that are really doing more to keep this topic on the table than anyone else.

It's the trolls that have given a relatively benign, fun social item a bad rap as an "annoy toy" for the socially maladjusted.

It's the trolls that render things like changing instances ineffective by "tailing", calling for other forms of restraints, such as a client side off switch.

And, as much as they are so terrified of losing their "annoy toys", its the trolls that are doing the most work to get these things killed off altogether. Basically, they are their own biggest problem.

Ironic, isn't it? ;)
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just find it amusing that these anti-disco threads keep popping up like weeds.

Seriously - social devices are not going away or getting limited in any fashion. They've been around for YEARS at this point, ever since the very first anniversary, and a lot of people enjoy them - such as the great radiostar.fm parties. When someone cries about a party popper, fireworks or a disco ball I really want to ask them: "Nothing is going to change, do you just need a hug?"

Because that's the most they're ever going to get out of anyone. ;)
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
    edited March 2014
    Grimrak1,

could you straw man some place else?

It's interesting that you're misusing the strawman argument to try and ape actual debate when all you've done is attack me personally after failing to make any counterpoints to my arguments. Well done.
    I realize full well that your someone second forum account. Just a quick purusal of the forums establishes that.. you need to learn to NOT cut and paste from your other accounts posts.

First the dev smokescreen conspiracy, now I'm actually part of a cryptic forums accounts botnet or something? You're making yourself look ridiculous. Oh, and if you could please find these other posts I copied and pasted from, that'd be swell. I'd like to see them. Or are you just attacking me personally again due to lack of coherent counterpoints?
    Amateur!

Really, really difficult if you think I could ever be bothered trying to create multiple accounts for this forum. But again, we both know you were just trying to attack me.

The thing is, the discoball has been pointed out and pointed out and pointed out. The devs took notice and stopped it from being deployed in combat. You'd think if it was as broken as you're insisting then they'd have made more changes to it at the time, yeah? It's almost like nothing is being done because nothing needs to be done.

You don't like discoballs making people dance. Got it. Have you got any new arguments?

What has this got to do with anything? It's an MMO, it's kind of obvious the people are real.

I'm well aware of Trek fans spending money on Trek things. I bought lifetime because I am a Trek fan. I've 90% of the Klingon cstore ships and all the available costumes.

Are these legitimate behaviour complaints or more "he did something I don't like please ban him from the game forever" petty complaints rising from poor socialisation and an inflated sense of self importance?

As a Trek fan, and part of a well known fleet that also includes Trek fans, I have to say we wouldn't be here if we didn't enjoy Star Trek. We'll be here until the game gets shut down, most likely. I do have faith in the game designers, the recent ground content actually breathed some life into what was before the worst part of the game. I'm looking forward to the next season's content.

If you do find something that adversely affects everyone's social play, instead of certain people's antisocial play, I'm pretty sure it'll get fixed.
    Fx3popQ.png
    edited March 2014
    grimrak1 wrote: »
    The thing is, the discoball has been pointed out and pointed out and pointed out. The devs took notice and stopped it from being deployed in combat.

Wait. You used to be able to use these in combat? :eek: OMG, bring that back now, devs! :D
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
    edited March 2014
    rickdanko wrote: »
    Wait. You used to be able to use these in combat? :eek: OMG, bring that back now, devs! :D

Never seen the dancing borg videos?

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited March 2014
    I have now! Seriously awesome stuff. Hard to believe anyone wouldn't love combat parties.

It's like reenacting that Christmas story from World War 1.
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • chroma01chroma01 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Has anyone managed to get Tholians to dance?
    edited March 2014
    chroma01 wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get Tholians to dance?

What would that even look like? Imagine them doing the running man.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited March 2014
    Apparently, from what I heard from people who tried, the Tholians just stood there, not really sure what to do with themselves, lol.
This discussion has been closed.