Client side switch to turn off party visuals

Comments

• marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    i support the Op

Down wuth the troll toys of all kinds and the Devs who make them too

1 should be disabled the the other given real work to do

Exactly right. You can tell that's the main reason people are against it, especially if you see what some of these posters do with the items in game. They aren't fun for anyone actually wanting to play a Star Trek game, they are just fun for people trolling.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Exactly right. You can tell that's the main reason people are against it, especially if you see what some of these posters do with the items in game. They aren't fun for anyone actually wanting to play a Star Trek game, they are just fun for people trolling.

Excuse me, but what exactly are you basing that on? Have you followed the posters on this thread around in game? Have you witnessed every time someone has set off an amp to verify it's effect? Could you read the minds of the people who set them off to figure out their intent? Just because you can't think of a reason a star trek fan would want to use them other then trolling does not mean that they are only used by trolls.

And just because you don't like it when one is set off does not mean that the person who set it off is being a troll. (hence my sig)

So less of the judgmental attitude, it's doing you and your cause no favors.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Client side switch? Sure whatever doesn't bother me none however that said, there is a lot bigger pressing issues than a disco ball that makes everyone dance that pressing one button negates the animation so I'd like to see the bigger issues tackled FIRST before this gets handled.

But really to call EVERYONE that uses them trolls is a bit absurd. I use them for fun and enjoyment am I a troll? By your definition yes. But if I'm having fun with them, and others around me are enjoying them as well, are we ALL at that point trolls?

I play this game because I love star trek, but I also love having fun. I've used them for events, parties, just plain ole shooting of bubbles everywhere etc. I'm sure this is all about the disco ball (as the others you just turn off certain options in your graphics settings and they're gone) and it's a very VERY small issue to be perfectly honest.

Trust me, I get what it's like to be harassed and trolled. I get it regularly (especially when my forum handle matched my in game handle heh), but the BIGGEST THING I'VE LEARNED as being a DJ on numerous stations since I was 18, part of stations on STO, mods on things, developers on others etc is that if you let it bother you then people will continue to troll you. You ignore it, or even engage in little light banter people will get bored and go off to find others or leave entirely.

Ignoring people that bother you is your best weapon. (Not the actual /ignore command but actually ignoring them).
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited February 2014
    Excuse me, but what exactly are you basing that on? Have you followed the posters on this thread around in game? Have you witnessed every time someone has set off an amp to verify it's effect? Could you read the minds of the people who set them off to figure out their intent? Just because you can't think of a reason a star trek fan would want to use them other then trolling does not mean that they are only used by trolls.

And just because you don't like it when one is set off does not mean that the person who set it off is being a troll. (hence my sig)

So less of the judgmental attitude, it's doing you and your cause no favors.

I won't say who exactly, but I have personally experienced many of the posters following me with those items. I can tell by your signature you don't care about other players experiences, only yours and you find it funny if they feel trolled.
    edited February 2014
    I won't say who exactly, but I have personally experienced many of the posters following me with those items. I can tell by your signature you don't care about other players experiences, only yours and you find it funny if they feel trolled.

I don't particularly find it funny, but you are right, I don't care if they feel trolled, because it is frankly none of my business if they do. I am playing for me not someone I have never met. (just like everyone else)

If they let it upset them, then it is entirely on them. Welcome to life in an mmo.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited February 2014
    I don't particularly find it funny, but you are right, I don't care if they feel trolled, because it is frankly none of my business if they do. I am playing for me not someone I have never met. (just like everyone else)

If they let it upset them, then it is entirely on them. Welcome to life in an mmo.

You can't be trusted to respect other players and are freely admitting it, this is why Cryptic needs to do something about it.
    edited February 2014
    You can't be trusted to respect other players and are freely admitting it, this is why Cryptic needs to do something about it.

I respect other players and it isn't up to you to decide if I am trust worthy or not (thank god) but If I want to set of an amp in a public instance (which I have every right to do) then I bloody well will.

It isn't disrespectful to do that, regardless of what some people think.

As long as I am not breaking any rules, why should I be expected to tailor my behavior to suit strangers?

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • gunsang1gunsang1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Calm down everyone! Insulting each gets us absolutely nowhere. Provide -solutions- if Cryptic can't.

Here are things I very much understand.

Everyone is hard-wired to think differently, and be annoyed at things based simply on particular sounds and visuals alone. You CANNOT simply blink away at a party ball because no VFX settings gets rid of it. Sure, some of us can ignore it--because we can, others can't. It's both a choice and an ability. Just think of the last time you heard an annoying sound that made your skin crawl--but others not? Notice how others shrug, some enjoy, and yourself--and maybe a couple others can't stand. It's tolerance. And tolerance comes in both lengths and limits. To be forced out of the room is very inconvenient.

We've already discussed ways to over-ride the animation, and at least get rid of the shine of the party ball. There is also open starbase roleplay instances available that are monitored by the players. As in, they will kick people going crazy with party amplifiers and spam. Starbase 381 is something to look up (personally I never tried it). You also have the ability to hold your own instances.

Cryptic--took the time to put in the Party Amplifier. That probably means they have spare time. If you want to argue about doing more important things, better argue at them for putting a Party Amplifier into the game in the first place. This has and will create assumptions that they have time to fix what silly items they put into the game--so don't even think this was unexpected or un-needed. You're definitely not putting out this flame with another one. :rolleyes:

Not everyone is a jerk, a troll, or a what-have-you for using the party amplifier. No, it's not intended for trolling. Nor was the snowball, nor was the fire extinguisher. A few bad apples do not spoil the bunch--unfortunately needing mentioning, throwing names around and stereotyping does not help. I've personally had fun with the DJ's using them to livening up a party.

What can we do? Give feedback? Sure, only if it's constructive then it may help. The last time I checked, this was the feedback thread after all. Ask Cryptic? Honestly, that's probably something I'd be interested in. But do like some of these ideas that are being thrown about.
    edited February 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I like how -- again-- the mod (Askray) makes one of the most intelligent and accurate posts in the disco ball thread and absolutely no one is willing to address or comment on it. This happened in the last thread, too. Are people completely unwilling to accept that this is quite possibly one of the smallest issues the Devs have to worry about at the moment?

He is just minimizing the issue and saying there is more important issues. I disagree. I don't think it would take much time for these items to be fixed or be removed from STO entirely which is what I would prefer, but I would accept reasonable fixes to limit them.

Its not a small issue, I know people who put a lot of time in STO to only completely quit over this.
  • gunsang1gunsang1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm really hating to say this at the moment, but I'm afraid this thread isn't doing much good right now. :(

All I can really say, is that Cryptic had time to put it in, they have time to fix it, and that it's better just to see what happens in the future and look into other threads. See-yas!
    edited February 2014
    At any rate if anyone shouldn't be playing mmos, it's the ones who don't play well with others.

Based on the tone of your post, that sounds like it might be you.

And why should we only use them on our bridges? We have as much right to use the public spaces the way we like as much as anyone.

And frankly based on how many people I always see moving toward them campared to away I think plenty of people like them enough that we have no reason to justify why we want to use them where ever we want.

You don't like it? Fine, but that is your problem, and I don't see why it should effect my game play, or ruin my disco immersion experience.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    He is just minimizing the issue and saying there is more important issues. I disagree. I don't think it would take much time for these items to be fixed or be removed from STO entirely which is what I would prefer, but I would accept reasonable fixes to limit them.

Well yes, of course you would, you saw your ~*~NEMESIS FLEET~*~ using them in a way that displeased you, so you're on the warpath to try and stop your ~*~NEMESIS FLEET~*~ using them. You've admitted to this countless times already, and you ignore everyone pointing out that the game has more pressing concerns than pleasing trolls deliberately going out of their way to get angry at coloured lights. Again, this is an MMO, you should learn to play with others instead of throwing a tantrum every time things don't go your way.
    Its not a small issue, I know people who put a lot of time in STO to only completely quit over this.

I know people who came back to STO because of social items like this, because they showed the devs actually care about the playerbase and want people to have fun. Shall we count how many of our anecdotal argument supporters left/came back and see who has more?
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You don't like it? Fine, but that is your problem, and I don't see why it should effect my game play, or ruin my disco immersion experience.
    A switch/filter on the receiving end would not change the animations being rendered on your screen. The only way you might see others using the switch would be a lack of people complaining/leaving the area.
    edited February 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    A switch/filter on the receiving end would not change the animations being rendered on your screen. The only way you might see others using the switch would be a lack of people complaining/leaving the area.

I was making a joke about the rper's complaining that the amps were ruining their immersion.

nvm :rolleyes:

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is really making a mountain out out of a mole hill. If it would end the complaints it would be worth it to limit these things, but we all know that the complaints would not end there, they would find some other reason and we go through the same round of chronic complaining each and every single time there is an event, without fail.
    The party popper is easy to block, just turn debris to 0 in video options. As for Disco balls, I've never had a problem with them, I don't use them myself, but I enjoy them when they are around, but for those who don't, changing instances is such an easy thing to do.
    I don't know how the disco balls work, whether it is AoE effect with a forced emote function or something else but I suspect like everything else in this game if they start fiddling with it to give players such specific options it might break something else that's more important.

In the real world if you walk into a bar and it pretty wild and you're not in the mood for it, you just go somewhere else. What you don't do is shout for everyone to shut up so you can have your drink in peace, that's just not a scenario that would play out too well for you.
    You are faced with the same circumstances here, in a social zone a lot of people are gathered around using their party goods and enjoying themselves, there are many instances available for those who don't want to participate, if the majority of the players are the ones using the party goods or are players who don't care one way or the other than it is up to the non-participants to take themselves elsewhere. Cryptic doesn't need to build special features into the game when suitable alternatives already exist.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited February 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    This is really making a mountain out out of a mole hill. If it would end the complaints it would be worth it to limit these things, but we all know that the complaints would not end there, they would find some other reason and we go through the same round of chronic complaining each and every single time there is an event, without fail.
    The party popper is easy to block, just turn debris to 0 in video options. As for Disco balls, I've never had a problem with them, I don't use them myself, but I enjoy them when they are around, but for those who don't, changing instances is such an easy thing to do.
    I don't know how the disco balls work, whether it is AoE effect with a forced emote function or something else but I suspect like everything else in this game if they start fiddling with it to give players such specific options it might break something else that's more important.

In the real world if you walk into a bar and it pretty wild and you're not in the mood for it, you just go somewhere else. What you don't do is shout for everyone to shut up so you can have your drink in peace, that's just not a scenario that would play out too well for you.
    You are faced with the same circumstances here, in a social zone a lot of people are gathered around using their party goods and enjoying themselves, there are many instances available for those who don't want to participate, if the majority of the players are the ones using the party goods or are players who don't care one way or the other than it is up to the non-participants to take themselves elsewhere. Cryptic doesn't need to build special features into the game when suitable alternatives already exist.

This right here. Nothing but truth.:)

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Welcome to the interwebs
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I never realized there were people with sore rims about Disco Balls.

Now I will buy alot of them :P
    XzRTofz.gif
  • legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2014

It's your latinum and inventory space, lol. I could think of better uses for both, but whatever floats your boat, m8. ;)
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited February 2014

It's not about the disco balls. It's about the idiots who only use them to annoy other players.
    (yes, people who do something just to annoy/provoke other people are idiots in my book. Feel free to disagree.)
    Q.e.d.

That being said, I admit this discussion kinda misses the point. But since you can't change an idiot, you can only try to take away his toys.
    Best effort approach, ya know..
    And tbh the trolls seem almost more upset, or how do they usually call it.. ah yes, butthurt, with the prospect of loosing their precious tools, than the players who just don't want to be bothered. Go figure. The attempts to derail the thread so far speak volumes.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    legetdumar wrote: »
    It's your latinum and inventory space, lol. I could think of better uses for both, but whatever floats your boat, m8. ;)

Come on, you know Latinum is useless in this game :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    arcjet wrote: »
    It's not about the disco balls. It's about the idiots who only use them to annoy other players.
    (yes, people who do something just to annoy/provoke other people are idiots in my book. Feel free to disagree.)
    Q.e.d.

That being said, I admit this discussion kinda misses the point. But since you can't change an idiot, you can only try to take away his toys.
    Best effort approach, ya know..
    And tbh the trolls seem almost more upset, or how do they usually call it.. ah yes, butthurt, with the prospect of loosing their precious tools, than the players who just don't want to be bothered. Go figure. The attempts to derail the thread so far speak volumes.

Wait, you're trollin', right? Let's see what Picard thinks of that.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited February 2014

Yeah, party amps are literally the most useful thing you can spend it on. My latinum spending has gone up by a factor of 10 since those things came out.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, party amps are literally the most useful thing you can spend it on. My latinum spending has gone up by a factor of 10 since those things came out.
    Well, there's also sunglasses, but not all characters can use those, and they're a one time purchase for those that do.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Well, there's also sunglasses, but not all characters can use those, and they're a one time purchase for those that do.

Weren't they just during the summer event though? That's why I wasn't counting them.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2014

Well....I did find it handy when the Defera Dailies were broken, and there's the trade DOff assignments...and, as we just learned..sunglasses! :D

Although I will admit maybe I'll pick up some party amps and set them off to celebrate the end of that loathesome Q grind! Much in the same way I saw a group of players in Drozana using one, in a place that was not disrupting anyone else's gameplay, as in away from business areas, and giving players the option of joining the festivities.

If everyone used party amps that responsibly and intelligently, we'd be seeing these threads a lot less. ;)
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
    edited February 2014
    I wonder If they'll add a new one this summer. I'm hoping for a portable mosh pit myself.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes, let's have a client-side switch to disable disco balls and such while leaving those who like them unaffected.

As a bonus, we then get to see what the never-satisfied will find to QQ about next. It's not like they'll ever be happy until everyone is forced to stop "having fun wrong" in any possible way. :rolleyes:
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I still support it!
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
    edited February 2014
    rickdanko wrote: »
    I still support it!

So noted.:rolleyes:

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
This discussion has been closed.