raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
Post edited by rickdanko on

Comments

• peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh honey, you don't wanna open that can of worms again. lol

Threads about this seldom end well.:o
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hell yeah I do.

Couldn't find the original thread though. :confused:
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yep, either an option to shut off the visuals, or at the very least fix the subspace party amp to it works the way the tool tip says it supposed to (it doesn't)
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That would be so nice. Pls do that
  • ijimithyijimithy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Another day another thread moaning about Party Balls... lol well I suppose it shows the game is alive and healthy I guess.

ESD, Drosnaa, Qo'Nos and several other places are "Social" Zones therefore people who go there can be sociable which includes the ability to play with party Poppers, Dancing balls and whatever they bring out next for fun. I don't see a problem with using them they don't harm you, they don't actually stop you from using the bank or mail or exchange or anything you just dance AND if someone is somehow trolling you with it there is a simple way to fix it.

Press M and go to change instance and boom Mr Troll has been squashed :) and all it took was 2 seconds! Let people have fun in this game please don't make all boring and pointless too many games are ran like that and loosen up a bit!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!
    edited February 2014
    rickdanko wrote: »
    Hell yeah I do.

Couldn't find the original thread though. :confused:

Yeah, cause it got deleted. :rolleyes:

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ijimithy wrote: »
    ESD, Drosnaa, Qo'Nos and several other places are "Social" Zones therefore people who go there can be sociable which includes the ability to play with party Poppers, Dancing balls and whatever they bring out next for fun.
    If the switch were client-side only, their ability to play with these items would not be affected, i.e. they would still see all the captains in range dancing on their screen while players who turned it off would see their captains (or everyone in range) standing in their normal poses on their own screen.
    Those who have fun now would still have fun* and those who are irritated now would be less irritated (or begin to have fun) then; sounds like a win-win-situation to me.

Instead of a switch, there could be a textfile where players can enter a blacklist of animations (e.g. discoballs and smoke grenades) their STO client must not play on 'social' maps. This would not interfere with the playback of these animations by other players STO clients.

* unless their enjoyment of these items was derived from irritating others
  • arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    If the switch were client-side only, their ability to play with these items would not be affected, i.e. they would still see all the captains in range dancing on their screen while players who turned it off would see their captains (or everyone in range) standing in their normal poses on their own screen.
    Those who have fun now would still have fun* and those who are irritated now would be less irritated (or begin to have fun) then; sounds like a win-win-situation to me.

Instead of a switch, there could be a textfile where players can enter a blacklist of animations (e.g. discoballs and smoke grenades) their STO client must not play on 'social' maps. This would not interfere with the playback of these animations by other players STO clients.

* unless their enjoyment of these items was derived from irritating others

Yeah, the problem just is that they don't want to see people dance only on their own screen. They want to troll other players.
    So your whole argument, although it's making too much sense in the first place, is moot.
  • legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2014
    I think a client side switch for social items is a great idea. Being able to choose where and when I am affected by these things....what's not to like?? :)
    Yep, either an option to shut off the visuals, or at the very least fix the subspace party amp to it works the way the tool tip says it supposed to (it doesn't)

Confirmed. On those occasions I did decide to take a few minutes to "goof off", every time I tried substituting the party amps dances with my own from the emote menu, the amp kept overriding my choices.

So if this is a bug, it may need a fix as well.
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Heck, there was another thread earlier today and now that one's gone! Sheesh, someone must really love the disco balls.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is a much easier solution to all of the party amplifier spam. All players should be capable of targeting and destroying disco balls with ingame weapons. Additionally, the player using the party amplifier should receive a shields offline, -200% runspeed, and -3000 all damage resistance debuff for 30 seconds. Ample time for any nearby players to punish the offender.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ijimithy wrote: »
    Another day another thread moaning about Party Balls... lol well I suppose it shows the game is alive and healthy I guess.

As I pointed out in the now-closed thread, considering how the devs gave in to the forum rage stemming from Hell Week, I can't say I blame the haters for thinking the same approach will work with the disco balls if they keep it up long enough.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, but the devs can esily count the number of complainers.... :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Get rid of these, or have a disable

Wow, what an insightful suggestion that has never been considered! What a valuable contribution you have made to this debate.:rolleyes:

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As I pointed out in the now-closed thread, considering how the devs gave in to the forum rage stemming from Hell Week, I can't say I blame the haters for thinking the same approach will work with the disco balls if they keep it up long enough.

besides that, there is also the time the devs gave in over outrage over marks and dilithium rewards, and they have partially gave in to demands about the poppers and amplifiers before and have toned them down so we can keep chipping away and eventually get this garbage like poppers and amplifiers out of STO.
    Wow, what an insightful suggestion that has never been considered! What a valuable contribution you have made to this debate.:rolleyes:
    More common sense posts like his are always welcome, it just lets the devs know more are tired of these simple minded childish devices.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    edited February 2014

Personally, I see a client side on/off switch for social items is a way for both "camps" to meet in the middle, so to speak. You can keep using your party amps, I get a switch that allows me to determine where and when I'm affected by it, since alternate instances aren't always available....everybody's happy! :D
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    More common sense posts like his are always welcome, it just lets the devs know more are tired of these simple minded childish devices.
    I prefer to think of them as fun and entertaining. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2014
    I prefer to think of them as fun and entertaining. :P

Considering how quickly the more fun, entertaining versions of these threads get killed, I hope this one stays nice and boring. ;)
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is a much easier solution to all of the party amplifier spam. All players should be capable of targeting and destroying disco balls with ingame weapons. Additionally, the player using the party amplifier should receive a shields offline, -200% runspeed, and -3000 all damage resistance debuff for 30 seconds. Ample time for any nearby players to punish the offender.

This kind of "OMG LET ME KILL TEH PARTY PEOPLE WHO ANNOY ME" response just proves what kind of people want to stop social items. Sorry, this is a social game, and you have to play with others. You need to calm down and accept that you're not the centre of the universe, and that you're clearly championing an unpopular opinion. Just accept that the party items are here for the social gamers among us, and those of you who want to kill us or troll us are in the wrong. :cool:

Hell, we already have deranged people blatantly abusing bugs in an attempt to kill people having parties. We noticed a couple of well known trolls run into the centre of our party and then go to a certain mission, so we moved. They came back and exploded, but didn't kill any of us as we'd moved. You guys seriously need to calm down and realise it's a game and that other people can play it, no matter how often you stamp your feet and scream at us.

http://i.imgur.com/GxRfrsw.png
    http://i.imgur.com/xDSGm9m.png

Couple of screenshots from the attempted suicide bombing, we of course reported them for abusing a bug to try and kill people in social zones.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • signoizsignoiz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sometimes the constant forest fires outside my house force me inside where I can be protected inside my blanket

it keeps the forest fires out

sometimes i step outside my blanket but there are monsters out there
  • preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • torlacitorlaci Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    1b1782841d524936756ebe52c1900b00.jpg
  • heartburzumheartburzum Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Who doesn't love the D? Haters, that's who.
    hb-sig
    You know what it is...
    -Supporter of Cryptic Lockboxes!
    edited February 2014
    I don't hate the D, I just love freedom of choice. A client side on/off switch gives me that without infringing on anyone else's. :)
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    preechrsa wrote: »
    By order of Dear Leader, all instances of the word "Disco" in the following post have been shortened to "D" for brevity.

I have seen many, many posts about the D lately. A select few are angered by the D, and seek to beat the D off the face of the game entirely. These eRPists are terrified by the D, as they are unwilling or incapable of throwing the D themselves. Perhaps this is why Starfleet Dental garners so much hatred amongst the D-adverse. You see, Starfleet Dental brings the D, without discrimination and without restraint. The D wants to be free, and cannot be contained by the sweaty palms of the eRPists, mashing furiously at their keyboards. The D is a threat and an affront to these sick people- why else would they object so strenuously to Tovan Khev, a man notoriously capable of bringing the D, and yet embrace Elisa Flores, whose tastes run more towards smooth Jazz? This tasteless discrimination against the D will not stop us in our mission to bring the D to every crevice of every station in the Alpha Quadrant.

Starfleet Dental: We bring the D. All night long, all night strong.

As someone rather indifferent about the D as well as any kind of RP (with and without e) I'd like to know in what way a client-side disable function would disrupt SFD's ability to bring it.
    Do you fear that you may feel shortened...in your reach because of this?
    Because right now your post makes as much sense as the rant of a militant smoker.:confused:
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe we should also turn off weapon effects because all of those flashing lights are hella distracting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    STO has perhaps the largest database footprint of any mmo out there.
    Tons of info regarding your character is stored.
    For a variety of reasons, that gigantic footprint of information is stored SERVER side.

You are asking for yet one more piece of information that has to be saved about your toon (and any alts you might have). Yes, it's a simple toggle of I want or do not want to see party items or be affected by them , whatever. AND you want this additional piece of data to be stored now CLIENT side so that now the server side information has to reference your client side information in order to create a full picture of the character you are playing.

And would that toggle automatically be the same for all your alts? What if you have one Captain that likes to party?

Basically, what you are asking for, is not impossible. It's just a helluva lot more work than any of you who keep coming up with ideas to get rid of the party items don't seem to grok. What you are asking for is not an easy task. No matter how much you think it should be.

Also, very simply put, why should valuable development time that can be spent bringing us new content, be spent "fixing" something that isn't broken? There are ways already available in game to get away from these items. Just because you for some reason don't accept that it's an acceptable solution, doesn't mean that what gets suggested in every one of these threads (change instances, use private venues, etc, etc, so on and so on) are not wholly correct solutions.

It's a "my gaming experience is more important than yours" mentality that has made the argument against these items into a joke. The company has decided that these items are in game. There are avenues in game to avoid the items that bother you. The people who want to use these items (whatever their reason) have as much right to use them in the zones designated for their use as you do to engage in whatever gameplay you enjoy.

At some point, you have to realize that the company is obviously aware of your feelings on the matter. How many threads have you all created now? That nothing has been done yet, speaks volumes.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Note: Captains, if you are one of those who are using an inappropriate slang term in these posts, please stop.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.