What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Client side switch to turn off party visuals

Comments

• peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Because it costs nothing, see?

And yes, there are troll items in game. Some of them seem to be actually designed for griefing.

first point, fair enough.

Second point, They really aren't, but some people just have thin skins.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    first point, fair enough.

Second point, They really aren't, but some people just have thin skins.

I'm just curious if you got any justification or actual line of reasoning in store to explain how an item that forces other players to do things against their will is not a griefing item.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited June 2014
    I'm just curious if you got any justification or actual line of reasoning in store to explain how an item that forces other players to do things against their will is not a griefing item.

Because firstly it's just an alternate idle animation, so who cares? You would have to pretty uptight for that to be an issue.

Secondly it doesn't force them to do anything. You are perfectly free to move out of the area of effect or beam to another location or switch zones.

Honestly this whole thing is the biggest example of "first world problems" I can think of. :D

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Because firstly it's just an alternate idle animation, so who cares? You would have to pretty uptight for that to be an issue.

Secondly it doesn't force them to do anything. You are perfectly free to move out of the area of effect or beam to another location or switch zones.

Honestly this whole thing is the biggest example of "first world problems" I can think of. :D

First, people have the rigth to be uptight.

Second, it forces them to move. Yeah, switching the game off is an option, but its not a good one.

It is a first world problem, yes. You got that right....somehow.

Because in any sensible world, this would result in the offending item getting deleted by a company that would actually care about their customers.

Because ever since STO devs started to make troll items, I haven't given them a single dime, and I encourage people to do the same.

To a company that cares, that would matter. But honestly, Cryptic keeps STO up just for the sake of publicity. Their golden moneymaker is now Neverwinter.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Their golden moneymaker is now Neverwinter.

Just hopped in for a moment and saw this...

The day before Brandon became PWE community lead (which means recently) I was in an STF with him where he said that STO is PWE's most profitable game.

So...

I'm gonna take a guess and say STO is still the cash cow.

P.S. Cryptic gets no money from sales, it all goes to PWE who them puts money into Cryptic.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    and just to add on to that...neverwinter flopped - hard

that's why STO is PWE's biggest moneymaker
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    First, people have the rigth to be uptight.

Second, it forces them to move. Yeah, switching the game off is an option, but its not a good one.

It is a first world problem, yes. You got that right....somehow.

Because in any sensible world, this would result in the offending item getting deleted by a company that would actually care about their customers.

Because ever since STO devs started to make troll items, I haven't given them a single dime, and I encourage people to do the same.

To a company that cares, that would matter. But honestly, Cryptic keeps STO up just for the sake of publicity. Their golden moneymaker is now Neverwinter.
    The devs have taken steps to prevent players from doing things that actually impede the ability of others to play the game.

Remember cryo grenades? they used to be able to send other players into red alert at any time. Thus disrupting them if they were using Bank, exchange, etc. It was most annoying in the case of Dabo as the player would lose their bet and get nothing. THAT was griefing.

Like the other guy said, disco balls do no such thing. They are strictly a visual effect.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The devs have taken steps to prevent players from doing things that actually impede the ability of others to play the game.

Remember cryo grenades? they used to be able to send other players into red alert at any time. Thus disrupting them if they were using Bank, exchange, etc. It was most annoying in the case of Dabo as the player would lose their bet and get nothing. THAT was griefing.

Like the other guy said, disco balls do no such thing. They are strictly a visual effect.
    unlike the active immunity overload which does exactly what the pre-nerf cryo 'nade did...only this does damage as well, so it can kill people in social zones
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In the end, in my opinion, it's all about freedom. We're talking about a virtual world here. Very little is "impossible". Unprofitable, perhaps. Yes, it may defeat the "social" aspect of an MMO, but when BOTH sides can get what they want, I'm all for it.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • pappy02upappy02u Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was thinking about this. I was standing at the edge of the dance floor on Risa and someone set off a party ball where I should have been affected by it, but my toon didn't start dancing. So does the dance floor impart an immunity buff while standing on it? Like Q's peace enforcement. If so could cryptic make a tribble or device that imbibes the user with that immunity? They could call it the "Party Pooper" or "Buzz Kill" this way those who do not wish to participate in the party ball effects could have an out or other could use it to emote differently under the party ball like shredding an air guitar.

For disclosure purposes I am a party ball user.
    edited June 2014
    I love it when old threads stutter along and refuse to die.:rolleyes:

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I love it when old threads stutter along and refuse to die.:rolleyes:

This is a good thing, actually.

The tears in this thread are of fairly good vintage, and the bitterness put into it actually makes it taste oh so sweet.

Honestly, when the party items came out, I gave two ****s about them. But when I found out about how people like in this thread have heart attacks about a disco ball or a balloon passing by their screen, I simply had to partake in the festivities.
    and just to add on to that...neverwinter flopped - hard

that's why STO is PWE's biggest moneymaker

I also remember a bunch of staff that were on STO were diverted to work on Neverwinter.

I wonder how things would be if STO didn't suffer those personnel losses on the staff.

As for STO being the Breadwinner for them, it's kind of funny. When STO released, it was pretty disastrous in terms of the state STO was in. It was BAD. But yet it's chugging along now. IMO, STO could have used another year in development instead of releasing the state it was in. Also, I'd like to say the main reason STO still existed after such a bad release was this.

STAR TREK

For me, that was the single lifeline that tugged me to come back and see how things looked after my 2 year break from the game after the first few months of release until around 2012. I also believe the Trek name was what kept this game alive, as far as people sticking it out or coming back.

There are times in gaming when an IP means everything. Without the Star Trek name, this game, IMO, would have died in 2010 or early 2011 at the latest. Heads were rolling back then, including one of the founders of Cryptic, IIRC. It was a very bad release... That STO exists now is a testament to the Star Trek name.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Reasons I hope this thread never winds up necro'd.

- As long as all the Party Amp complainers are in one place, they're easier to track.
    - The sputtering indignation some of them use in W.O.T. posts can be outrageously funny.
    - Even funnier? They think the rest of us take them as seriously as they take themselves.
    - I will continue to have a reason to stockpile and use Party Amps.
    - Last but not least, to deliberately misquote worffan :::drumroll:::
    HAIL (Party) BA'AL!

That's it. I'm done. Show's over. Move along. Move along. Nothing to see here. :D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited June 2014
    Reason I hope this thread doesn't get necro'd

- I'm the OP and I think this is the most successful thread I ever started, on any forum! :)
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
    edited June 2014
    Honestly, when the party items came out, I gave two ****s about them. But when I found out about how people like in this thread have heart attacks about a disco ball or a balloon passing by their screen, I simply had to partake in the festivities.

THIS!

/10chars
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • father0niveusfather0niveus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Seconded, thirded, fourthed, whatevered...

Let me add another voice to the chorus saying this would be a nice feature. It irritates the hell out of me when someone pops one of these balls or the balloons, etc, etc. If I want to dance or see balloons then I'll dance or shoot balloons. If I don't want to then I don't want to and would appreciate an option to turn the foolishness off.
    I have seen what power does. And I have seen what power costs. The one is never equal to the other.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited June 2014
    rickdanko wrote: »
    I support it.

kthxbye.

count me in
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    westmetals wrote: »
    That and maybe raise the prices a bit (to cut down the frequency). Seriously, look at the GPL market - it's almost asking for this to happen, particularly since we are forced to play Dabo in certain missions. There is nothing else even close to that price available - the other items all cost at LEAST 15x the price of the party thingies.

The trolls would still do it, but they'd have to put in a lot more work to get the GPL. And the casual players who are picking up one or two to burn up the GPL they were forced to get... won't.

This is why nobody takes the anti-discoball crowd seriously. Anyone who uses them is automatically labelled a troll because you can't handle some coloured lights in a game. I'm glad they got upgraded with combat buffs because now this ridiculous cry of "OMG EVERYONE WHO USES THESE IS A TROLL" is going to die as people start using them for the combat benefits as well as spicing up zones with a bit of fun.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
    edited June 2014
    Wait, wha?

What combat benefits? I thought you couldn't use the disco ball in combat anymore.
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
    edited June 2014
    rickdanko wrote: »
    Wait, wha?

What combat benefits? I thought you couldn't use the disco ball in combat anymore.

The new risian duty officers give disco balls the ability to grant a dodge buff to anyone who dances under one.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited July 2014
    In (again) before the lock! I still support anything that gives everyone what they want.
    Freedom is awesome!
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As long as this thread still isn't dead, I want to ask a simple question. Please note, I'm done taking sides. All I wish is to ask a question.

A couple weeks ago on Bajor, my friend and I were doing causal RP. It was going fine, until this dude showed up and dumped a party amp on us for no reason. We move away, he follows. We try swapping instances, but there's only one. We could move to our bridge, but a bridge is not Bajor. Eventually he left but it was about an hour later, so we had to leave too.

So to those of you who defend party amps: we exhausted the options for getting away from him and still doing our RP the way we wanted it. That is out of the way. Now the question:

Is his fun more important than ours?

Should we just have to suck it up and accepta ruined experience? You might say, "It's a public zone," but that comes back to the question. Why does he get to have fun (by ruining ours), but we don't? Why should we not be allowed an option to have ou own Star Trek fun in a Star Trek game?

Again, I'm not whining about it. I'm not gonna cry because the bad man made flashy lights. If I see a disco ball, I let out a sigh and go on to wherever I'm going.

I'm just asking that question.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Closed topic.

Because, well, this: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1162461

Just a reminder, Party Amplifiers (aka Disco Balls) are considered a closed topic and threads discussing them will not be generally allowed, unless there's a change in how they work or somebody finds a bug.

And no, the fact they exist does not count as a bug.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.