test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Client side switch to turn off party visuals

Comments

• bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't think it's fair to characterize everyone who uses a party amp as a troll.

I also don't think it's fair to insinuate that only a handful of people and their alts don't like them.

Fact is, the disco ball does have some legitimate uses for groups of people who want to dance more or less in sync.

I don't make a big fuss about them, but I do find them annoying. I challenge either side to produce metrics that say how many people do or don't find them annoying.

Go on, I'll wait. Meanwhile, please stop stirring things up.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • gunsang1gunsang1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You say that there are a LOT of people upset about it, but there is no real evidence of this. It seems to be the same 3-4 people and their alt accounts that tend to make these threads every day. The vast majority of people who post in these threads do so to tell the OP that they are being silly. Yet these people still craft a new thread every day even after every thread gets deleted. These are not the actions of a healthy mind.

Maybe it's just a fact on my personal experience by talking to other people? Who knows? Maybe it's all those logs on pastebin? Maybe. Your assumption is a lot less likely factual just based on appearances alone. Can you scratch it as a high plausibility instead of a fact? Of Course! Now, if you don't mind, please remain constructive and remain on-topic instead of trying to poke holes. :P

You can talk to me in-game about these experiences if you wish. :)

I like to use the party amp, personally. I stated that people who used them in the same spots, on the same people, on purpose are jerks. I don't like sterotyping--and I'll actually go be productive and provide some information! LETS GO!

I'm actually excited you offered this, Bluegeek. :3
    edited February 2014
    Yet these people still craft a new thread every day even after every thread gets deleted.

These threads get closed because a few individuals can't resist trolling and flaming other posters in them. Let's get that clear.

There's nothing wrong with people posting their personal opinions about the party gear. They are allowed to do it, as long as they follow the forum rules.

Speaking as a mod, I am sick of closing them and/or issuing warnings. Annoying the mods is probably not a wise plan.

If people would simply state their own opinions and quit trying to pick apart everyone else's, we'll all get along much better.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    gunsang1 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just a fact on my personal experience by talking to other people? Who knows? Maybe it's all those logs on pastebin? Maybe. Your assumption is a lot less likely factual just based on appearances alone. Can you scratch it as a high plausibility instead of a fact? Of Course! Now, if you don't mind, please remain constructive and remain on-topic instead of trying to poke holes. :P

You can talk to me in-game about these experiences if you wish. :)

I like to use the party amp, personally. I stated that people who used them in the same spots, on the same people, on purpose are jerks. I don't like sterotyping--and I'll actually go be productive and provide some information! LETS GO!

I'm actually excited you offered this, Bluegeek. :3

"Being productive" - is that your euphemism for using a known glitch to try and suicide bomb people on Drozana for daring to use a party amp? Say what you will about supporters of freedom and disco, at least we don't violate the ToS and abuse broken game mechanics to express our salty, salty rage.
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
    edited February 2014
    preechrsa wrote: »
    "Being productive" - is that your euphemism for using a known glitch to try and suicide bomb people on Drozana for daring to use a party amp? Say what you will about supporters of freedom and disco, at least we don't violate the ToS and abuse broken game mechanics to express our salty, salty rage.

Woh woh woh--un-needed. Wow. You have an issue--PLEASE contact me in game or a gm! This isn't the place! :eek:
    edited February 2014
    Woh woh woh--un-needed. Wow. You have an issue--PLEASE contact me in game or a gm! This isn't the place! :eek:

Nor is a social zone a proper place to set innocents on fire with spider-bombs strapped to your face. And yet you would have us believe that you are a noble defender of the downtrodden, and that people who enjoy using the party tools exactly how they were designed are the "jerks."

It sheds light on the man making the argument. No amount of pious hand-wringing on the forums will make you the good guy or hide the fact that you are the problem, not the people having some harmless fun.
    hzzfzXc.png
    edited February 2014
    Nor is a social zone a proper place to set innocents on fire with spider-bombs strapped to your face. And yet you would have us believe that you are a noble defender of the downtrodden, and that people who enjoy using the party tools exactly how they were designed are the "jerks."

It sheds light on the man making the argument.

And anyone can ask me about it in game, or make a private message. Throwing this thread off topic is not needed. OH! And don't mind Skitters. He hitches a ride now and then by accident. :D

For the rest! Time will be needed to gather these links, OR perhaps just make a couple threads for signatures for those that "Do Not Like" and those that "Do Like". Though my argument is not necessarily for the ones that do like the party amplifier, it's the ones that don't like it. Heck--I really liked the permanent disco ball idea--but alas.
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd say massively increase their price. Make it a 1000 dil a ball and you'd see a lot less of them. If someone really wants it they'll pay it otherwise you won't see them.
  • tontokowalski22tontokowalski22 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And anyone can ask me about it in game, or make a private message. Throwing this thread off topic is not needed. OH! And don't mind Skitters. He hitches a ride now and then by accident. :D

Nice of you to admit violating the TOS in writing on the official forums.

Now, as for metrics on who creates these threads, I'd be happy to get right on that as soon as all of the threads are undeleted so we can examine the evidence.
    vSzSPTd.jpg
    I don't always feel like endlessly grinding for hours with little to gain from it. But when I do, I choose Star Trek Online
    edited February 2014
    Nice of you to admit violating the TOS in writing on the official forums.

Now, as for metrics on who creates these threads, I'd be happy to get right on that as soon as all of the threads are undeleted so we can examine the evidence.

I just said skitters likes to hitch a ride?

http://postimg.org/image/5wlez2s1x/

Hes a my pet elachi spider! :D He doesn't explode--silly billy! :rolleyes: I named him skitters--cause it's cute--but that is getting off-topic.

However, un-deleting the threads may be a stretch. Getting a simple like/dislike thread going could actually prove more beneficial--and quicker. Though the fear remains it may be thrown way off-topic or closed.

The Question is-- will it be worth it? Will Cryptic actually take it into consideration?
    edited February 2014

For the rest! Time will be needed to gather these links, OR perhaps just make a couple threads for signatures for those that "Do Not Like" and those that "Do Like". Though my argument is not necessarily for the ones that do like the party amplifier, it's the ones that don't like it. Heck--I really liked the permanent disco ball idea--but alas.

Petitions are against the PWE ToS. But wait! Your in-game profile is quite specific in that you don't respond to NoP, Dentals, or Wesley, yet here you are flaming away. You can't even follow your own rules, is it any surprise you can't follow PWE's?
    hzzfzXc.png
    edited February 2014
    For the record, petitions are not allowed so no one will be allowed to poll here to find their "metrics".

The point is, neither side knows the answer nor will they.
    edited February 2014
    Petitions are against the PWE ToS. But wait! Your in-game profile is quite specific in that you don't respond to NoP, Dentals, or Wesley, yet here you are flaming away. You can't even follow your own rules, is it any surprise you can't follow PWE's?

Ummm... I'm flaming? And I said I could be civil in game. Also, they are -my- words in -my- biography, so please don't be discouraged in trying to contact me. Having an open mind is very important you know! :D And I wasn't asking for a petition. It's more like feedback. :3 Feedback is important too!

Now...

Should we, or should we not get this thread for a more directed feedback on the Party Amplifier is the question? What are your thoughts? Will it just be thrown around too much? See, that is the key thing I'm debating on. The measure of constructive feedback versus deconstructive that has been displayed on the forums lately is something to be weighed, of course.
    edited February 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    For the record, petitions are not allowed so no one will be allowed to poll here to find their "metrics".

The point is, neither side knows the answer nor will they.

Blah. Well, could of just said so for us. Gave my hopes up. :/ Though it would be true given there are remaining fractions that don't even glance at the forums. :(
    edited February 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    All this aside, I am not quite sure why my proposal hasn't been addressed. Not only does it keep power within the players themselves, through a series of votes and councils, many differing voices can have a say and have it addressed in a civil and timely matter.

Is it a little hierarchical? Yes. Is it complicated? Absolutely. Will it be 100% effective? Possibly not, but it is more practical, and more doable -- in my humble opinion -- than demanding the devs to go into the game and design some client-side toggle for players. I'm asking people to take some initiative and be a little proactive here, and I know that's difficult to fathom as it's much more comfortable complaining into a forum all day long (and getting ignored for over half a year). If people aren't willing to meet others halfway, then I'm going to have to conclude that people really aren't that interested in finding practical solutions to problems, but only want people to appease their demands no matter how unreasonable or unrealistic they are.

We do have the temporary options of using the consoles to avoid party amplifiers al-together, or using "/movementreset" for singular incidents. Your proposal wasn't something that I preferred, though I'm interested what others think. Many different minds prefer many different things after all. :D
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    All this aside, I am not quite sure why my proposal hasn't been addressed. Not only does it keep power within the players themselves, through a series of votes and councils, many differing voices can have a say and have it addressed in a civil and timely matter.

Is it a little hierarchical? Yes. Is it complicated? Absolutely. Will it be 100% effective? Possibly not, but it is more practical, and more doable -- in my humble opinion -- than demanding the devs to go into the game and design some client-side toggle for players. I'm asking people to take some initiative and be a little proactive here, and I know that's difficult to fathom as it's much more comfortable complaining into a forum all day long (and getting ignored for over half a year). If people aren't willing to meet others halfway, then I'm going to have to conclude that people really aren't that interested in finding practical solutions to problems, but only want people to appease their demands no matter how unreasonable or unrealistic they are.
    Honestly I think a client side graphics toggle is the only thing cryptic is ever going to do about this. not that I think that even that needs to be done.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Honestly I think a client side graphics toggle is the only thing cryptic is ever going to do about this. not that I think that even that needs to be done.

It's a puzzle. :/ I personally like how CoX did it. Was an NPC you talked to, and you chose what affected you for buffs. So IE: in this example, you could be affected by sexy dance moves and not snowballs. Maybe something like that perhaps?
    edited February 2014

No offense, but I find it improbable that your proposal was serious, so I didn't respond to it.

Can't see Cryptic putting something like that to a vote in-game. If it came to that, I would expect them to remove them entirely before they implemented such a system.

And I don't think it likely that they will remove them entirely.
    edited February 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    No offense, but I find it improbable that your proposal was serious, so I didn't respond to it.

Can't see Cryptic putting something like that to a vote in-game. If it came to that, I would expect them to remove them entirely before they implemented such a system.

And I don't think it likely that they will remove them entirely.

Well... even the seemingly silliest of ideas can sometimes hide very constructive tools. That is likely how Party amplifiers were started in the first place. :D
  • legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2014
    It's a puzzle. :/ I personally like how CoX did it. Was an NPC you talked to, and you chose what affected you for buffs. So IE: in this example, you could be affected by sexy dance moves and not snowballs. Maybe something like that perhaps?

Actually, I was thinking something along the lines of an addition to the options menu. A brief description with an on or off like the other menu options. That way, if I feel like partying, I just leave the toggle off, where as if I go to a place like Vlugta and would rather mine than be a really goofy version of Tony Manero, pop into options menu, hit the on switch.

Et viola! :D
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe in addition to having the switch, the party amplifiers could also be enabled during combat? You could re-enact that Christmas-in-the-World-War-1-trenches story!
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It did strange things to the Borg on Defera....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2014
    i support the Op

Down wuth the troll toys of all kinds and the Devs who make them too

1 should be disabled the the other given real work to do
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited February 2014
    A switch server side is entirely possible. This was introduced in CoX (City of Heroes and Villains) as a NPC that you would talk to for options, since graphical options and preferences are saved Client Side and not Server Side.

I believe it is the game prefs file located in your STO directory. And a server side switch may only get rid of your character's ability to react to over-riding animations, and not the graphical effects that occur due to these abilities. Though, these are only educated guesses.

As I said, for now we have /movementreset and opening a console window and shrinking it (which will cause you to type instead of dance).
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2014
    I think the party toys are the topic here

The party toys add nothng to the game for me and i mean all of the party toys

If you like them i respect that and your choice to use them

but for people like me they should have a off switch and people/characters who annoy me should also have a off switch so there character isnt rendered either

Cryptic supports party toys and supports trolls they keep making things whos purpose is to annoy others so that is the only conclusion one can make

Cryptic Devs like this and those of us who dont are made to suffer thru it so only the small minority who like this type of troll content are happy aong wuih the creators from cryptic

another bad decision on there part and i know it adds to the annoyment of many giving them more reasons to not play the game

I want to see the game thrive and things of this nature dp not help in my humble opinion

another bad decision on Cryptics part
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    I think the party toys are the topic here

The party toys add nothng to the game for me and i mean all of the party toys

If you like them i respect that and your choice to use them

but for people like me they should have a off switch and people/characters who annoy me should also have a off switch so there character isnt rendered either

Cryptic supports party toys and supports trolls they keep making things whos purpose is to annoy others so that is the only conclusion one can make

Cryptic Devs like this and those of us who dont are made to suffer thru it so only the small minority who like this type of troll content are happy aong wuih the creators from cryptic

another bad decision on there part and i know it adds to the annoyment of many giving them more reasons to not play the game

I want to see the game thrive and things of this nature dp not help in my humble opinion

another bad decision on Cryptics part

The rest of your post seems to contradict this. :confused:
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »

Have you tried playing a different game? MMOs don't sound like they're right for you.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is this another one of those first world problems non-issue threads?

Don't players have enough to deal with in terms of bugs anyway? Should devs really be working on such a trivial matter?
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    adverbero wrote: »

Don't players have enough to deal with in terms of bugs anyway?
    Should devs really be working on such a trivial matter?

Yes.
    Yes.
    And No.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited February 2014
    adverbero wrote: »

Don't players have enough to deal with in terms of bugs anyway? Should devs really be working on such a trivial matter?

Bugs happen. Period. Sometimes they have time to solve big bugs, other times they have time for quick fixes. It's flexibility and free time. Sometimes I like to spend five minutes fixing or playing something then doing nothing until the next big project rolls around. :rolleyes:

Do you know how crazy it sounds to sit and stare at a wall for twenty minutes of spare time! :eek:
This discussion has been closed.