test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Perhaps in future they could add an account-wide option all your characters can contribute to, for say 4 or 5 times the price of a single ship. But that would require new mechanisms to allow it, and probably be somehow open to exploiting.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    STO is not a game focused on casual people. Thats the whole truth. If you only have 1 or 2 hours to play, thats really bad, because you will need ages to progress in the game.

Cryptic doesnt care about casual people, i asked the same question ages ago, and there is no solution to it.

Plus, imagine not only you are a casual player, but you are European. Then, the discrimination will be just amazing, trust me xD.

But, i must say, i did yesterday the mini game in about 10 minutes. Its not a bid deal and i suposse u can change instances. Now, i didnt try again since i didnt log-in since yesterday before the black out lol. I only did 1 time the q mini game.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jimqqi wrote: »
    There are two 4pc sets. One is the one you get for replaying the mission and the other is one piece from the grind ship and three from the c store bundle.

If you want both you need to rerun the FE and then buy the 5k zen three pack when it comes out.

I forgot about this. Again, cryptic fooling the customers to make them waste even more money. This will never change, unfortunately. Welcome to STO lol.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    I tried the minigame yesterday after 40 minutes of running around 2 miniQ tagged, there were plenty of miniQ on the area but every time I approached one you couldn't interact with them because they already were tagged and they just sat there.

40 minutes?! :eek:

I have no idea how that's possible. If you come across a Mini Q that's inactive, stop and wait for it to activate. I swear, it doesn't take longer than 10 seconds, maximum.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »

I have no idea how that's possible. If you come across a Mini Q that's inactive, stop and wait for it to activate. I swear, it doesn't take longer than 10 seconds, maximum.

I tried they didn't, they were just there, never reactivated. To be hones this was before the mother of all the Servers crashed happened, so this morning when I signed in 1 of the miniQs I had finished was removed.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »

This is true. I think the problem was that he waited less than 10 seconds and thats the reason to stay 40 minutes trying to do the mission lol.
  • Options
    throkithroki Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    But I will tell you what is absolutely, 100% not enjoyable.

When some jerk decides to stand right in the path of the boxes, adding even more obstacles to your being able to tell which box he is in.

Happened to me yesterday. But it wasn't a player - it was an NPC blocking the view. Even the NPCs sabotage this minigame. :eek:
  • Options
    rextorvan36rextorvan36 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't hate it.

I don't think that it's great fun, but I don't hate it.

I do not like that it can be rigged, though, with the boxes sometimes stacking on top of each other and the qs being able to switch into any of those boxes. No way to be sure unless the q runs from one box to another or you can catch a glimpse of him sticking out the side of a box at some later point.

==========

But I will tell you what is absolutely, 100% not enjoyable.

When some jerk decides to stand right in the path of the boxes, adding even more obstacles to your being able to tell which box he is in.

Or when someone decides to start activating abilities that result in all sorts of lighting effects and visual obstructions.

Maybe a bunch of people could even decide to just wander around and make tracking the q absolutely impossible.

This is something that shouldn't be possible.

Switch the shell game to a "window" game.

Whether it be like data-mining, dilithium mining, the artifact sorting on Defera, Radiation samples on New Romulus, or some other new system, I shouldn't have to deal with a bunch of people who's life sucks so much that all they can do to make themselves feel better is to try and drag other people down while playing a game.

simple solution, if there's no combat at SFA, you can't use any of your captains abillities either.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    neowolfen wrote: »
    Because its TRIBBLE. And because this is an ANNIVERSARY not an ordinary event.

Okay, it's an Anniversary. We've had 3 of those before this one- now which ships in any of the previous 3 were account unlocks? Oops...

Your logic, such as it is, fails hard. "Because this is an ANNIVERSARY, like all the ones that gave out character-bound ships consistently before." :rolleyes:
  • Options
    stevedudemanstevedudeman Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    neowolfen wrote: »

Are you freaking kidding me Crytpic? I have like 16 Captains.. if you honeslty think I or anyone else with more than one character is going to do this episode once per day for fourteen days PER CHARACTER you are out of your minds.

So you think one, 5 minute grind a day should net 16 Anniversary ships then, yes? I will be doing this for 4 or 5 of my Captains. So Cryptic is, apparently not 'out of their minds.'
  • Options
    marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Okay, it's an Anniversary. We've had 3 of those before this one- now which ships in any of the previous 3 were account unlocks? Oops...

Your logic, such as it is, fails hard. "Because this is an ANNIVERSARY, like all the ones that gave out character-bound ships consistently before." :rolleyes:

Not only what you've said, but also, every ship that's been part of the Special Event rep has been character unlock only. It's almost like there's a precedent for it...
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I want to say that i hate this mini game as well.
    1) Increase the number and locations of the mini Q's.
    2) Make it more obvious who of the nearby people triggered him, i had one time i thought i had gotten it, but when the boxes were done, i had nothing to click.
    3) Code it so that the npc's can not walk through during the game.
    4) Dont let the transformed q's go where you can not when you get the chase.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, d@mn. I might have tried for the ship on my FedSci, but griefer toolbags interfering with my progress is a deal-killer. If that happens to me even once, I will not go back.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its not hard, i found that 90% of the time the answer is BLUE.
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I skip "red, blue, green" minigame because it's annoyed me one year ago and it's annoying me this year.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A suggestion that could still be implemented, with regard to the anniversary ship grind-dailies:

Implement sponsorship tokens for the event, with each token = 600 Qmendations. Would be ideal if they were account-wide, but I would say a good compromise would be faction-specific.

This would require each character to complete the FE, which rewards 400 Qmendations. Then each player would have a maximum of 3 characters to run through the mini-games on a daily basis to get the remaining Qmendations (one character per faction). When the mini-game daily grind is completed on a character, that character can then sponsor all the other characters of that faction.

I don't think anyone has a problem with running the FE with each character, and sponsorship would help in reducing the server load for the mini-game, and help a little with the outcry on the grind.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the only difficulty I have experienced is the little Q does not spawn enough. Increase that spawn so everybody has a chance and all is well.
    Otherwise the game with the presents is easy and catching an escapee is even easier.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am not fond of the ship being a Reputation Event - especially if there is going to be a Store version on future - but I did not find the Event to be overly taxing. I ran 4 characters through the Event today in about 30 minutes; even with all the people in the zone.

If find the trick to the presents is to simply zoom out. Then you can easily see him running between the boxes. It's easier on the Klingon Academy as there's more open territory and less camera restrictions due to plants and whatnot.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I too would prefer to smack Q around. Now THAT would be enjoyable. :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    edited January 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    the only difficulty I have experienced is the little Q does not spawn enough. Increase that spawn so everybody has a chance and all is well.
    Otherwise the game with the presents is easy and catching an escapee is even easier.

Didn't you use to be Roach way back when this game was still under Atari?
  • Options
    atticus74atticus74 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Normally i can juggle three characters during events like this but it sounds like your suggest ing focus and pray for luck.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Didn't you use to be Roach way back when this game was still under Atari?
    He still is Roach. Now he is just BiteMePWE Roach. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, I am not exactly a big fan of this mini game either. What I feel about it falls somewhere in between animosity and loathing.

Having to compete with 100 other players on the same map for the same resources is annoying. The shell game fills me with malice, and when it appears I just ignore it and search for another miniQ. :mad:

The whack-a-Q idea has merit though. ;)

I was sick of the player-dense maps, fighting for resources, having the jerks try to break my concentration on the shell games, then I realized moving to the shard with the lowest population actually helps. I'd one run where there was only 5 others on the map.

And yes, doing 15 days of shell games is not fun at all. The only reason I'm doing it, too, is my Rommie's ride is glitched without repair, and I'm hoping this ship proves at least adequate.
  • Options
    greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    seannewboy wrote: »
    I want to say that i hate this mini game as well.
    1) Increase the number and locations of the mini Q's.
    2) Make it more obvious who of the nearby people triggered him, i had one time i thought i had gotten it, but when the boxes were done, i had nothing to click.
    3) Code it so that the npc's can not walk through during the game.
    4) Dont let the transformed q's go where you can not when you get the chase.

Nope. I like it. It's easy and relaxing. Ran it on all my toons in 30 mins or so. I don't see anything wrong with it. I take it as an added challange if an NPC walks through sometimes, though if you choose your location with a bit of sense (like anywhere where there are no NPC paths) that is not even an issue.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    He still is Roach. Now he is just BiteMePWE Roach. :)

I remember his famous rants in defense of the under loved Klingons under Atari. :D
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Be patient waiting for them, and change instances, if you can. I just ran it through all 12 alts for the second time. Not one took 5 minutes total, including time to go back to ESD or First City and turn it in. The game was crash-happy last night, perhaps it caused problems in your instance. That's hopefully behind us ow, so good luck from here on in.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I remember his famous rants in defense of the under loved Klingons under Atari. :D
    Now he's happy and tells the people who say Klingons suck to go to Sto'vo'kor. :P

honestly.... after having done both the events in 2012 and 2013.... I already know how to win them easily.

It's actually pretty easy to tell if you triggered the box game. If you triggered it a giant green blob of text appears in your chatlog... unless you turned that off... Your escaping mini-Qs have a different text over them. (unless you turned that off too)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    pvtbelgarionpvtbelgarion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Has anybody calculated the cost in lobi yet, incase someone who can't play every day and can't do the grind all the time can get the ship and consoles?
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's kinda sad how often Cryptic/PWE takes opportunites to cheese off its own constituency just to meet an arbitrary profit deadline (end of month today). Was Tim Russ really THAT expensive? And the dev's had at least the duration of the Winter Event to do testing, so the recent debacle could be averted. Maybe they should ask some of the Admin's in their player base (who sucessfully run other game sites) how to structure the server setup so one failure does not tank the entire enterprise...

Apart from that, the new mission was engaging and fun. Kudos to Cryptic to actually put players in those new ships (full loadout, like a rental car!), to promote the upcoming sales and event grind. "Well played...", again. The mission will be worth playing for many players just to get choice of Dyson component for current ships, as well as a Dyson EV suit and Hirogen lock box, which drop during the mission. The EV suit thruster controls were TRIBBLE in-game; one can only hope they work better in other space environments. Oh, and don;t forget to lvl up your characters before the mission, otherwise the dropped gear is LEVEL-APPROPRIATE. :o I'll have to hurry to lvl up so when I repeat the missions later, I'm not stuck with a lvl VIII console, instead of XI or XII...
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It's kinda sad how often Cryptic/PWE takes opportunites to cheese off its own constituency just to meet an arbitrary profit deadline (end of month today).
    This has nothing to do with a profit deadline - this is especially true when you realize they did not offer anything to purchase with the event so profit does not fall into this. It has to do with an Anniversary deadline on Sunday.