What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    TRIBBLE ARC and TRIBBLE any company that uses it.
  • Options
    charliescot25charliescot25 Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    Coincidentally I've just done this exact same thing.

If I'm going to have to use a launcher I'd rather use one I know and that has a selection of games from wider afield than one company.

I find it amusing how they have inadvertently pushed people towards Steam ;)

Haha, wise choice. I think we could sticky a thread about STO launcher through Steam and not having to install arc.

Glad I can help:P
    [SIGPIC]USSDundee_zpsfcfe716b.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    an0nem0u5ean0nem0u5e Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ksm0 wrote: »
    Neverwinter was the game I had been considering until it insisted I install it through ARC.

If you are running the normal STO installer (which you should be), Goto Options in the top right of the launcher, and select the 2nd box down which says "Show All Games".

Restart the launcher, and login.. At the bottom where it says Star Trek Online - Holodeck, Click the dropdown menu, and select Neverwinter. Neverwinter will then download, and you don't need ARC.

Oh and incase Brandon is reading.. I WILL NOT be installing ARC on my PC or anywhere near it. It's unneeded, unnecessary, unwanted, and pure spyware/advertware, which is not in the best intrests of myself or my hardware.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Arc will never be loaded on my computer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    • It's a platform designed to expose the user to PWE's other games, in the hopes of luring them into those, and grab money from them, and judging from the amount of people who are easily lured by the grab-bags they will be making big money from this.

Since STO is their cash cow, given the vast unpopularity of it in the community, they are likely to lose a ton more money from people quitting than they will get from the few players that will try the other titles.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can I feed ARC to my just newly acquired Horta? :D
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,371 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My feedback? Your beta client eats system resources like a starving tribble, dropping my framerate into the single digits. I'll go with Steam if I have to have a separate client to launch the game. Thanks anyway.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lukem2409 wrote: »
    I've been wondering, I've seen a couple threads and signatures in regards to this and don't know why?

Because those of us interested in such an interface already have Steam, and don't need a poorly-coded resource-hogging clone of same wasting hard drive space and RAM when the pre-existing version actually works.

Any other questions? :D
  • Options
    starmada1starmada1 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    See title. I'm curious as to what this thing is supposed to be for, and what it is about it that people are so opposed to.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=977831

Stop opening the same topic you are going to get banned. Directed at starmada1
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is the only feedback I'm going to provide:

http://i.imgur.com/XNx7D8n.jpg

Also consider this the reason I WON'T be using ARC should it ever replace the current STO launcher. I'll just move the game files to my Steam folder and use that client instead.

The only thing I'll suggest is "Arc Lite" - a version that would only serve as a launcher and would close immediatelly the moment player launches the game. No unnecessary browser/chat/overlay or other social BS we don't want nor need.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Doubtful they have made it clear that it will replace all current normal launchers.

How it will work with steam, I don't know. Steam uses the same launcher, but is launched via steam...

and what about tridef?
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=977831

Stop opening the same topic you are going to get banned.

Gah! recursive forum loop...Im trapped.

OK so got a pretty costume for having this on my computer, yay.
    But I still see that ARC is way too resource intensive.
    I can understand 60-70mb when the UI is up, I get that with Steam
    HOWEVER, when you minimize steam, memory usage plummets to around 20mb. ARC does not. Steam has alot more that it should be backending then ARC, so if it can hand back that memory, the client needs more optimization.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    castsbugc wrote: »

HOWEVER, when you minimize steam, memory usage plummets to around 20mb. ARC does not. Steam has alot more that it should be backending then ARC, so if it can hand back that memory, the client needs more optimization.

because arc is spyware.. always working on gathering data from your computer..
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited January 2014

actually steam drops to 4-4.5mb, not 20mb.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    The big shiny 'Install ARC' button on the main page, tells me that it's not compatible with my system. Though downloading it from the smaller button at the top right of the page and installing it that way worked fine...

I don't really see the point in this client though to be honest. I only use 3 PWE games and Steam already handles them brilliantly whilst allowing me to chat with all of my friends list and upload screenshots for my friends and others to see.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    There's a nice, simple question with no room for wiggling and tap-dancing.

DEVS: Does the Arc install include a root kit, yes or no?

*crickets chirping* :mad:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Because of the latest "bribe" offer, I have ARC installed but on a secondary computer that's brand new. And so far I'm not liking what I see.
    • ARC Does take up a huge amount of memory and gives High CPU usage warnings, with a computer with I3 Dual Core with 16GB Memory of RAM.
    • ARC installed a BHO and modified my Internet Browsers without my permission.
    • Confirmed Bandwidth hog, had to turn off all internet access except for STO on all computers, still lags like the dickens.

I'm genuinely angry that Perfect World is installing programs that is beyond ARC games related. There is no excuse that it should install a BHO without asking me. And as I posted earlier, California now passed a law stating that I have to be notified what you are installing on my computer.

So while I "tried" the Beta, I do not approve of it becoming a mandatory program.
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    Because of the latest "bribe" offer, I have ARC installed but on a secondary computer that's brand new. And so far I'm not liking what I see.
    • ARC Does take up a huge amount of memory and gives High CPU usage warnings, with a computer with I3 Dual Core with 16GB Memory of RAM.
    • ARC installed a BHO and modified my Internet Browsers without my permission.

I'm genuinely angry that Perfect World is installing programs that is beyond ARC games related. There is no excuse that it should install a BHO without asking me. And as I posted earlier, California now passed a law stating that I have to be notified what you are installing on my computer.

So while I "tried" the Beta, I do not approve of it becoming a mandatory program.

What exactly is a BHO?
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What exactly is a BHO?

Browser Helper Object

which if it ties into this ARCWebOS process is ALSO USING ANOTHER 68MB OF MEMORY

come on guys, thats 120MB of memory on my computer....that is unacceptable
    I realize that CS people like to live in this world now where they can program sloppily and use all sorts of memory because its cheaper than it used to be, but come on already.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm actually posting this from within Arc, it's not using any more resources than my regular browser does, difference is that I use Maxthon 3 which is webkit, so Arc is having to use the ancient and crappy IE that was installed with Vista, so it's missing a lot of stuff that is built into webkit, so Arc is being seriously hamstrung on my system *evil grin*.

Wont be doing this very often, I need my built in spell checker lol
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here are a few problems that I noticed with Arc:

1. When I installed Arc, I received an error message saying that the DLL ArcPluginIE.dll failed to register. However, I did not notice any problems using Arc after installing. As far as I can tell, this DLL is only needed for the IE plug-in.

2. Arc installs two plug-ins: ArcPluginIE.dll for IE and npArcPluginFF.dll for Firefox. I have disabled them both. What are these plug-ins for?

3. Why are administrator privileges needed to run Arc? I can see needing administrator privileges to patch, but I shouldn't need to be administrator just to play the game.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I don't know what you guys are doing to get such nice performance, but right now I'm having massive trouble even playing.

I have a 3Mb+ ISP connection and I'm lagging something terrible. As soon as I exited ARC and STO, my connection was back to normal. So if it's taking that much bandwidth, I'm sorry Perfect World, but you definitely am going to lose a customer. I am not spending thousands of dollars to upgrade my internet and trade in a new computer just to play STO.
  • Options
    capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not had a single problem with Arc here since beginning STO in October...can often listen to an internet radio stream live(or listen to music files via Windows Media Player) while playing STO through Arc with no noticeable slowdown/lag....

This -may- be just good fortune for me, as I'm in Chattanooga(home of the nation's fastest internet), and my Trend Micro Titanium AV program hasn't sent a single warning on this new PC(bought a week before I started STO) in regards to Arc. *shrug*

I'm happy with it for now! :)
    When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    I don't know what you guys are doing to get such nice performance, but right now I'm having massive trouble even playing.

I have a 3Mb+ ISP connection and I'm lagging something terrible. As soon as I exited ARC and STO, my connection was back to normal. So if it's taking that much bandwidth, I'm sorry Perfect World, but you definitely am going to lose a customer. I am not spending thousands of dollars to upgrade my internet and trade in a new computer just to play STO.

I'm having the exact opposite experience.

I usually play through Steam, but despite all my complaining I was enticed by the free costume. I can't help it. I like free stuff. I figured I would have to redownload the game which would take ages... but I didn't have to. I'm assuming it used my Steam install minus the Steam? It opened the normal launcher, auto logged me in, I clicked engage like normal and boom I'm at the char select screen.

I have a 786k DSL connection. It is literally the CRAPPIEST service Frontier offers, but is all I can get unless I downgrade to their dial up. I felt like STO was more responsive than normal. I had load times that were very short compared to normal and I only lagged when the game started downloading the graphics for the Khan uniform.

If my experience stays like this I'll need to apologize to Cryptic for being a jerk.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Likes: Being bribed with in-game shinies to lure me into using Arc.

Dislikes: Having to re-install STO afterwards for 2 hours. 12gb patches yay.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,371 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My issues aren't attributable to my generally excellent net connection; rather, they're related to my processors, and the fact that I'm running this on a three-year-old Toshiba Satellite laptop. I just don't have the system resources to run Arc and STO simultaneously.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Browser Helper Object

which if it ties into this ARCWebOS process is ALSO USING ANOTHER 68MB OF MEMORY

come on guys, thats 120MB of memory on my computer....that is unacceptable
    I realize that CS people like to live in this world now where they can program sloppily and use all sorts of memory because its cheaper than it used to be, but come on already.

Damn:eek:,think i will not use it...why am i paying electricity bill for stuffs i don want to.:(.

128MB. that is alot, enough to play an old game without internet.:mad:
  • Options
    shurocshuroc Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I remember a very similar discussion in the days regarding steam... Now everyone accepts it, most even likes it... "don't need arc for just one game", true, but more games will come, and in a couple of years people prolly won't even remember this discussion. It actually makes sense to make a 'unified launcher', so there will be no need to develop launchers for every single game they release. Why not just implement it into already existing steam? Simple, they want the money themselves, instead of sending them to steam. Unified launchers are the future, everyone wants a piece. Steam got steam, origin got origin launcher, perfect world uses arc, even blizzard is making their own atm. (battle.net launcher) and so on. Complain about it if you wish, it's going to happen, and we will probably grow to like it..
This discussion has been closed.