Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Likes: Being bribed with in-game shinies to lure me into using Arc.

Dislikes: Having to re-install STO afterwards for 2 hours. 12gb patches yay.

So, given that ARC locates and uses your existing installation of STO, then you just like been bribed. ;)

If you already have STO installed, you don't need to re-download and install it. Even if you remove the old version of ARC first it gives you an option to leave the games installed.

The only valid reason I can think of for people objecting to ARC is that their computers are so under par that they don't have the hard drive space, free ram and/or cpu power to run it at the same time as STO. Which means they can't use Steam either. Which means that if they ever have to re-install STO they're going to have to either upgrade their PC, or quit STO as the stand alone install is no longer supported.

Save yourself some bother, get a modern pc now rather than later.
  • Options
    neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is it possible to launch the fully patched game without loading Arc?

Example, Patch using arc, close arc, run game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ppl can say this talk happen before with steam here are some big differences game you see on steam are not just steam only game steam is not just for mmos like ARC will be for PWE/cryptic game only dont think im going to be buying Assassin's Creed from ARC will i??? like i can with steam dont think im going to buying batman origins on ARC now am i ????? do i need to list the mmos i can play on steam that will never see ARC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thx cryptic

Installed arc for a total of 5 minutes to get the khan uniform which maybe nice at some and then deinstalled arc again. The simple fact is i already use steam so trying to make me go arc is just futile. I know its pwe not cryptic so whatever... As long as i can play via steam i will not change to arc and even then its a launcher bla whatever for exactly one game. No need for that in my mind.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    ppl can say this talk happen before with steam here are some big differences game you see on steam are not just steam only game steam is not just for mmos like ARC will be for PWE/cryptic game only dont think im going to be buying Assassin's Creed from ARC will i??? like i can with steam dont think im going to buying batman origins on ARC now am i ????? do i need to list the mmos i can play on steam that will never see ARC

Sure, this isn't the exact same thing as Steam as Steam has a ton of games it supports but a company running all their games off their own system isn't a new thing. Blizzard is doing this as well with their games.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is it possible to launch the fully patched game without loading Arc?

Example, Patch using arc, close arc, run game?

It is possible, yes, just go to the Arc directory and you will see a STO directory in the same folder. Then from there just find the same launch application and STO will behave like a normal install.

You can even move the STO directory and uninstall Arc, keeping STO intact.

Wont be able to do this forever though, as STO will eventually be fully integrated with Arc....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    saedeith wrote: »
    Sure, this isn't the exact same thing as Steam as Steam has a ton of games it supports but a company running all their games off their own system isn't a new thing. Blizzard is doing this as well with their games.

but is blizz going to forced it upon the players?? not played wow in year or so i do know of the battle.net client your talking about and i do use it as i do play starcraft 2 diablo 3 and at one point wow but here lately been thinking on re-subing

but i do not plan to ever and i mean ever play another cryptic game sure is hek not going to play a PWE game i may have caved in on the khan outfit but that is something to do with sto and as soon as the bug is fixed to where i dont need ARC soooo uninstalling but knowing cryptic it will stayed bug just to make us use it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    LOL I get a laugh out of all the people not liking ARC or say it is a resource hog. ARC barely uses any resources. I have been using ARC since it was first put out there. I have never encountered any issues with it. Use it with all my PWE/Cryptic games I play.

I also run the one the blizzard is coming out with and no issues there.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    but is blizz going to forced it upon the players?? not played wow in year or so i do know of the battle.net client your talking about and i do use it as i do play starcraft 2 diablo 3 and at one point wow but here lately been thinking on re-subing

but i do not plan to ever and i mean ever play another cryptic game sure is hek not going to play a PWE game i may have caved in on the khan outfit but that is something to do with sto and as soon as the bug is fixed to where i dont need ARC soooo uninstalling but knowing cryptic it will stayed bug just to make us use it

Yes, from what I have read, Blizzard is going to make it mandatory.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    LOL I get a laugh out of all the people not liking ARC or say it is a resource hog. ARC barely uses any resources. I have been using ARC since it was first put out there. I have never encountered any issues with it. Use it with all my PWE/Cryptic games I play.

I also run the one the blizzard is coming out with and no issues there.

Good for you, don't be alarmed when Chinese transactions start to appear charged in your CC.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi, I looked around and could not find where to post bug reports/feedback on Arc, so I am putting it here in the hope a kind mod can move for me :)

I tried to use arc, but when I am running an instance of STO loaded from there it interferes with the Ventrillo push-to-talk commands. Ventrillo is unable to recognise any key presses and the only way to use it is to use the mic sensitivity to talk, which leads to all sorts of clipping issues/ppl hearing when you are on the phone!!

I therefore uninstalled arc and am running STO from the old launcher again and can confirm that my push-to-talk in ventrillo/TS now works again as it did before.

I wouldn't use arc unless that issue gets fixed. Also alot of people that play this game do not use the in game vivox system and use their own voice chat programs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok so i have been reading the forums over the last few weeks since ARC was first introduced etc and...

I want to know (not opinion but the real reason) why people do not like this??

AND!

How easy it is to remove from your system?

((NB: pls do not turn this in to a I HATE! thread i want to know real reasons as to why people hate this so much))

Thanks all :-)
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Haven't you seen this big ARC Feedback thread in the Galactic News Network? :confused:

There people explain the hate
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    i have skimmed it but i seem to only see the hate lol not factual proof that its worse than the STO launcher
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think the main issue is that more and more game developers are starting to work with their own game platforms. Initially, there was just Steam, but now almost every major studio has its own proprietary platform (Ubisoft's uPlay Launcher, EA's Origin, Microsofts G4WL (or something like that), PWE's ARC, etc.).

Having all your games in one place is nice and convenient. Accumulating more and more launcher platforms causes fragmentation, which is not. Additionally, all these platforms are extra software you didn't need before.

---

For now, it is very easy to remove, as you can just remove ARC and use the installer linked in the IT support section of the forums. However, devs have already stated that ARC development is meant to replace the individual launchers for games, so it might well become impossible to launch the game without ARC at some point in the future.

However, it is still not clear how PWE will deal with Steam, for instance, as they do see the undesireability of having a gaming platform launch a separate gaming platform which will then launch your game. So that might be a way out. Additionally, you might (not sure here) be able to "abuse" linux or mac launchers in some way, to skirt the ARC launcher, but you'd need to either be tech savvy or have a good manual.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here's a thread with 80 pages of answer to your question.

All you have to do is read.
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    i have skimmed it but i seem to only see the hate lol not factual proof that its worse than the STO launcher

I said "read," not "skim." Pay attention, and the answers are there.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Haven't you seen this big ARC Feedback thread in the Galactic News Network? :confused:

There people explain the hate
    twam wrote: »
    I think the main issue is that more and more game developers are starting to work with their own game platforms. Initially, there was just Steam, but now almost every major studio has its own proprietary platform (Ubisoft's uPlay Launcher, EA's Origin, Microsofts G4WL (or something like that), PWE's ARC, etc.).

Having all your games in one place is nice and convenient. Accumulating more and more launcher platforms causes fragmentation, which is not. Additionally, all these platforms are extra software you didn't need before.

---

For now, it is very easy to remove, as you can just remove ARC and use the installer linked in the IT support section of the forums. However, devs have already stated that ARC development is meant to replace the individual launchers for games, so it might well become impossible to launch the game without ARC at some point in the future.

However, it is still not clear how PWE will deal with Steam, for instance, as they do see the undesireability of having a gaming platform launch a separate gaming platform which will then launch your game. So that might be a way out. Additionally, you might (not sure here) be able to "abuse" linux or mac launchers in some way, to skirt the ARC launcher, but you'd need to either be tech savvy or have a good manual.

But does it hog your system more than the STO one??

I dont have a top end rig its kinda budget mid range and i dont want something that will hog the system massively so i get low performance and when i run STO i do other stuff too so last thing i want is to have to close all but STO.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ARC in a nutshell:

1) Some people claim it has spyware/adware and sends all kinds of data off your PC back to the mothership in China.

2) It requires some of your hardware resources (because some ARC processes keep running at all times). Resources that you could otherwise use to have higher gfx settings in-game.

3) A constant avalanche of ads from other PWE games shoved down our throats, trying to lure us into playing some of their other games. Most ppl here are only interested in STO.

4) Some ppl claim it to have an on-board torrent client so the player's bandwidth will be used to distribute the STO program (which would save PWE tons of money). It needs to be said that BranFlakes has firmly denied ARC having torrent capability.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • Options
    alfamegaalfamega Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    LOL I get a laugh out of all the people not liking ARC or say it is a resource hog. ARC barely uses any resources.
    not true. it eat a lot of memory for the "benefits" it provides. it runs constantly, which disallow to toss it in to swap and basically blocks space in RAM needed for textures and resources of the game, causes quite longer loading times and reduced FPS performance.
    also ARC causes peak cpu loads due to bad coded routines that the game literary freezes or drop down to 1 frame per second.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    But does it hog your system more than the STO one??

According to several posts you must have just skimmed past in "the big thread," yes.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The main point is that you don't need ARC to play the game, so then why to downloaded? The bottom line is that Cryptic has some type of ulterior motive to try to force this ARC on us.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok so i have been reading the forums over the last few weeks since ARC was first introduced etc and...

I want to know (not opinion but the real reason) why people do not like this??

AND!

How easy it is to remove from your system?

((NB: pls do not turn this in to a I HATE! thread i want to know real reasons as to why people hate this so much))

Thanks all :-)

ARC has been around for almost a year. It was first introduced 31st May 2013.
    I have used it since day one. Alot of why people hate it I have to admit I disagree. People say it installs plugins without permission, when in fact it only installs one called playnow which enables you to access ARC through your browser. This plugin is the exact same plugin used by other gaming companies ie EA for their online gaming aswell. As for being a resources hog, I have one of the most out dated computer systems I think there is lol and me using ARC has no effect on my STO gaming experience at all. I think overall it has improved STO for me. I can access and submit support tickets and access the forum without even closing or minimising STO, so if I come up against an issue I can access the forum there and then, see if others are having the same issue, and if there is a fix or work around I can implement it to my game without any hassle.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I already have steam for some games, origin for BF3, and some people have Uplay for ubisoft games (I don't own any myself). If you are a f2player, you may also have Nexon for some games (I did for a time).
    When will it stop ? Will we have 1 program per game ? Sure it doesn't take a lot of resources, but in the end, it start to add up. And it makes your computer more cluttered than it should be.

Also, just like steam, origin, uplay... arc is likely to scan whatever data you have in the directory, your game habits, check the screenshot, etc... with little chance, they'll do as steam, and they'll be able to take your screenshot and use them for making ads.
    With that, they may send you mail and notification on what you should play, or any promotional you might not be interested in.

Finally, I don't NEED arc. I don't want to know what other games PWE is doing, and I already have the answer to this question. I'm just not interested. I don't like being forced to have this ads platform everytime I want to play STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    I already have steam for some games, origin for BF3, and some people have Uplay for ubisoft games (I don't own any myself). If you are a f2player, you may also have Nexon for some games (I did for a time).
    When will it stop ? Will we have 1 program per game ? Sure it doesn't take a lot of resources, but in the end, it start to add up. And it makes your computer more cluttered than it should be.

Also, just like steam, origin, uplay... arc is likely to scan whatever data you have in the directory, your game habits, check the screenshot, etc... with little chance, they'll do as steam, and they'll be able to take your screenshot and use them for making ads.
    With that, they may send you mail and notification on what you should play, or any promotional you might not be interested in.

Finally, I don't NEED arc. I don't want to know what other games PWE is doing, and I already have the answer to this question. I'm just not interested. I don't like being forced to have this ads platform everytime I want to play STO.

That in a nutshell, if I was interested in other games of PWE I may try ARC but I only care about STO, so why I need ARC?
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    3) A constant avalanche of ads from other PWE games shoved down our throats, trying to lure us into playing some of their other games. Most ppl here are only interested in STO.

I have never had any any ads for other games pop up while playing STO
  • Options
    lonnie5000lonnie5000 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I use steam. I don't want to have to launch steam then another client to launch sto. I like steam, it works great and I have about 20 other games that I play through steam. I have no interest in playing other games from cryptic or pwe. I like sto because I am a trekkie, but if arc becomes mandatory then I will be done with sto and my monthly subscription.

So just a recap: I DO NOT WANT ARC!!!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    twam wrote: »

^^ Well said!

Also, all these platforms tend to be spammy, wanting to sell you all their other stuff too. And they do data-mining; which is to say, they collect data on your system, to see what other games you play, etc (and/or what other software you use). In short: Arc means giving up, again, a small chunk of your privacy.

Tinfoil, you say?! We only need to look at the NSA to see what happens when companies start gathering 'innocent' meta data. So, that 'free' gift you're getting isn't so free, really.

Truly, there's no such thing as a free lunch. I'm perfectly fine with that, actually, when I can choose what I want to buy (like a Lobi console, or a ship, etc). However, when the price of playing a game becomes having to allow our Chinese Overlord company to violate my privacy, you'll always hear a resounding NO! from me.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Bluegeek has convinced me of PWE intentions a few weeks back, however intentions alone doesnt automatic its without fault as described by others. that its a resource hog, its possible it may have some sort of nefarious purpose which i was never fully convinced of (as bluegeek didnt even know for sure), and the recent bribe attempt with the khan uniform has amplified my suspicions (about x50 more) of whats really going on besides the intention they are not going so far as to install all sorts of undesirable programming, but doesnt exclude the idea of some sort of SecuROM type idea that ARC is fully required to even play the game (being the possible nefarious purpose as mentioned above).
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
This discussion has been closed.