test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #35

Comments

• sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's going to be Ethan Phillips (Neelix). Delta Quadrant, Federation Ambassador.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's going to be Ethan Phillips (Neelix). Delta Quadrant, Federation Ambassador.

There was also a copy of the EMH left behind on a planet when Voyager tried to play mediator.
    Season 4 episode 23, "Living Witness" the backup was dropped when Voyager was attacked, where he laid dorment for 700 years, reactivated to find a vary distorted version on history as to the ship's involment. after setting the story straight about Voyager's involvement the doctor (backup copy) stayed for many years before deciding to leave, wondering if the crew ever made it home.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • sabremeister1sabremeister1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hmm, okay...

Dyson-hybrid ships as reward for the anniversary event. Good, there's not a lot of variety of non-Zen/non-Fleet ships at top level in the KDF and RR. I know the raison d'etre of some ship classes makes mirror versions of them difficult to implement, but it'd be nice to have another KDF battlecruiser (f'rinstance) buyable with a sane amount of ec.

Trek actor doing VO. As long as it's not Neelix (Ethan Phillips), good.

Remastered early Fed missions. Good, but you need to look at your priorities. Feds have something like 85 storyline missions, Klingons 70, and Romulans 75. How about instead of remastering early Fed missions, add some more Klingon and Romulan missions. Or, if you insist on giving the Feds a makeover, updating the interior ship maps - when was the last time you saw a ship with a circular engineering hull?

Scrapping the hourly events in favour of weekend-long events, and some hourly events becoming dailies. Oh dear. I hope that means none of the actual events are going to be lost. I don't play the mirror event much myself, but quite a lot of people grind it for XP; and while I acknowledge the multiphasic and cheap crafting events may not be well-used in these days of fleet projects and reputation unlocks, crafting does remain the most reliable way to get purple Mk XI gear of exactly what you want.

Swapping ships anywhere you want, plus a loadout swap feature. Thank you, that will be very useful, and will obviate my need for more ships, especially if "loadout" includes BOffs & DOffs as well as weapons etc. Breaks the immersion a bit, I suppose, but hey, if Cryptic wants to dumb-down to arcade level gaming, that's their call. It won't make any difference to me, I transwarp to a starbase to change ship - even if it's for just one mission, the cooldown is never longer than the mission, and most of my characters can tw to pretty much anywhere in the galaxy.
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes! I hope this saved loadout means saved trays as well! Free ships also looking good! I hope these are science ships, given how science heavy the Voth are.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am one for all the ships in the game to be available in the Zen store, no every1 can run the stupid winter race 55K times a day to achieve some dumb signed picture, make all the ships available via Store. No where in the Star Trek Captain Kirk or Piccard had to do the lambada dance to get a freaking ship.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They also stuck to stock model ships, though.

Just look at how much pie Kirk went through in order to get the Enterprise-A and a B'Rel!
    edited January 2014
    How about if the Devs allow us to own a fleet shipyard where we could build our own ship from different parts of our own choosing. :eek:
  • elvenaarelvenaar Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tobar26th wrote: »
    I'm imagining it's George Takei, I hope not as Hikaru should be long gone and I don't want him voicing some bit part.

I'm hoping for one of the captains, in fact I'm thinking for some reason it might be Patrick Stuart, but it's purely a hunch. Levar Burton would make sense as an engineering expert investigating the sphere.

Not sure how I feel about the hourly events being removed - let's see what comes in their place though :)

I dunno about Takei, if memory serves he issued some statement that he never wants to have anything to do w/ ST anymore, since the new movies distorted his vision on ST, so he prolly won't be it.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    elvenaar wrote: »
    I dunno about Takei, if memory serves he issued some statement that he never wants to have anything to do w/ ST anymore, since the new movies distorted his vision on ST, so he prolly won't be it.
    Memory may not serve - I can't find any reference to this, but he did play Sulu in the fan-produced version of Phase II, and reportedly mentored John Cho for the '09 movie. No reports of any statements about him disliking Trek these days, or the new movies at all.

(In fact, in this video, he seems to approve of JJ's approach. I also liked his comment about why Bill Shatner would not have been a good fit for the new movies.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • juliamateusjuliamateus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    How about if the Devs allow us to own a fleet shipyard where we could build our own ship from different parts of our own choosing. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGfWrJR5Ck
    edited January 2014

LOL Piccard would have said NO to STO waaaaaay back!!!!
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Always excited to hear about Quality of life updates, new voice talents being added, and new ships. Thanks devs, can't wait to see what you've got for us!

If I could though: with the coming ship swapping feature, my biggest annoyance when swapping between ships is always having to redo my power tray. Can y'all please do your best to link individual power tray setups with individual ships, if possible?

...and selecting the Active Space DOffs. These are ship and build specific as well.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why do so many people hate on Neelix so much. I, for one, would love to have the ol' furball back to see what he's been up to.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just wondering if Brandon or any Dev. that might read this can tell me wheather the KDF Birds of Prey will be getting the 'flanking' mechanic with this update on the 30-th?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • docsantinodocsantino Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this goes but I'll admit, I'm not thrilled about removing the hourly events. I really wish that, instead of just jumping the gun, Cryptic had just asked us why we do/don't participate in certain events. Personally, I love Mirror Invasion, Tour the Galaxy, and the Bonus Marks events. As for the rest, I've found more efficient ways to get dilithium.

I play STO daily, and the thought of having to wait until the weekend to get bonus marks does not appeal to me at all. Just my two cents.
  • kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    will the ships be 4/4? 4 fore and 4 aft weapons?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Just wondering if Brandon or any Dev. that might read this can tell me wheather the KDF Birds of Prey will be getting the 'flanking' mechanic with this update on the 30-th?

Not just yet. Hopefully shortly after.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kyuzos7 wrote: »
    will the ships be 4/4? 4 fore and 4 aft weapons?

We've enough A2FAW cruisers as is. It's time to bring out the 2/5 minelayers!
  • kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pyrogxmk3 wrote: »
    We've enough A2FAW cruisers as is. It's time to bring out the 2/5 minelayers!

well sadly romulan's don't have enough unless you shell out the $ for them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Two words: Robert Picardo.

That could work too, if he was interested. The voice is distinctive enough.

And, as a holographic AI, the character would certainly still be "alive". Any Delta Quad VO with the Doctor in it could be hilarious and full of sarcastic wit. That's the way any such thing ought to be written, anyway.

Still think Tim Russ is the more likely candidate, but I would not be disappointed with this either.

Kate Mulgrew has the voice for it, but I just can't see her being A) affordable and B) available or C) interested.

Ethan Phillips also has a distinctive voice, but I can't see the fans being all that enthusiastic about a Neelix VO.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Ethan Phillips also has a distinctive voice, but I can't see the fans being all that enthusiastic about a Neelix VO.

Because STO fans are so enthusiastic about everything else Cryptic adds to the game to make it more Trek-like.

That said, your logic does have its reasoning. Wil Wheaton plays STO, and it wouldn't surprise me if the reason he refused all offers to reprise the role of an older and more mature Wesley Crusher based on his traumatic adolescent years on the set of TNG, and his extremely obvious perception that people hated his character even 20+ years ago.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014

And, as a holographic AI, the character would certainly still be "alive". Any Delta Quad VO with the Doctor in it could be hilarious and full of sarcastic wit. That's the way any such thing ought to be written, anyway.

Still think Tim Russ is the more likely candidate, but I would not be disappointed with this either.

Kate Mulgrew has the voice for it, but I just can't see her being A) affordable and B) available or C) interested.

Kate Mulgrew did do VO for Dragon Age I & II though. Still, she is busy right now. :)
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Wil Wheaton plays STO, and it wouldn't surprise me if the reason he refused all offers to reprise the role of an older and more mature Wesley Crusher based on his traumatic adolescent years on the set of TNG, and his extremely obvious perception that people hated his character even 20+ years ago.

Holy TRIBBLE, really? Wil Wheaton HIMSELF plays STO?

And I think you're right. He strikes me as the kind of guy who could get annoyed really fast playing a Mary Sue like season 1 Wesley.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    With the launch of Season 8 EVRYONE was making all Sphere missions/events their priority or the only thing they did. Then the Winter Event was they same way. Not surprising the Hourly Events were all but forgotten.

Both Sphere and Winter were MASSIVELY BUGGED!!! Sphere was Entirely unplayable to me until the last week before it ended/changed over to Winter, and even then the game only worked about half the time. Winter was almost as bad, as lag freeze would keep me from even reaching Q to get in, or keep me from reaching the starting line. Last year i raced 14 characters and 12 completed 25 races. This year i was trying to race more but i could only get 3 chars as far as their 12th race of the 25. Most of my time was not so much racing as struggling to get the game server to work rather than TRIBBLE me over.

I hope the issues with Sphere have been resolved as i look forward to have the enjowment i was denied the first time around.

I like the ideas for new ships and new proposed systems. I hope they will work fine.

I am far from they only voice long arguing for adding Ship Slots, in particular that 'small' craft do not use the Large Berths for Starships. Starships each carry multiple 'small' craft though considerably less than the dedicated Carriers.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Very, very glad to hear of the build save, and the ability to switch ships. A much needed step in the right direction. Thanks for making this happen!
  • angelsilhouetteangelsilhouette Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2014
    Wait...

Change my ship in sector space?

That's one of the only 2 reasons it makes any sense to go back to a space dock, that and visiting the ship tailor.

However there are other things that make absolutely no sense being restricted to a space dock: Things like the tailor and the exchange. (Because your replicators should be able to fabricate whatever it is you've pulled out of the exchange if it's a thing. I suppose you could explain officers and pets away by saying they were brought by cargo ships or you could just preclude the categories that include DOffs, BOffs and pets from the ship exchange terminal).

In either case, is it easier to believe that you have your own private flotilla following you around in case you swap ships than you have a tailor on your ship? Even the Voyager crew had someone doing their hair and cosmetic surgery and at least a replicator making their clothes.

If you're going to give us a ship swap in sector space, give us a tailor on our ships.
  • ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another area we looked at was the hourly event calendar. Our data showed that few of these events were being played often, and so we are re-envisioning the hourly events as weekend-long events with better rewards. You can expect the hourly calendar to disappear with Season 8.5, with the new events showing up on the main calendar. Additionally, a small selection of the existing hourly events are being turned into Daily missions ? we?ll provide more information on this soon.
    pyrogxmk3 wrote: »
    ...Turning things into a weekend event would not help the weekends; people still log in for the events already there. What's happening here is that things like "21:00 this tuesday is dilithium mining hour" dissapear, to be replaced by, what, "once/weekend" one weekend a month? We lose the incentive STO had over other games to log in during the week, atop many people losing incentive to stay logged in as much during the weekend. People with no reason to log in will find something else to occupy their time; something that very well may have weekend events of its own - since as you say that's what most games do - and may then prefer to stick around for those!

Perhaps a change to the hourly durations would make sense. But I cannot see, nor can understand how someone would be so blind as to believe, that removing events during the week as well as their variety would do anything other than reduce the playerbase!

"Many of the events go unplayed" does not mean we want them weekend-long, it means those specific aspects of the game are not appealing! Would anybody give a flying f*** about Metaphasic Weekend? It's not because we think Metaphasic Hour is not long enough, it's because the crafting system's completely obsolete! Who's gonna bother with that weekend while another game's doing "double-loot-rarity saturday"?

Hmmm, why am I not surprised that this came after that strange 'failure' of the event calendar?

Whilst accepting that the Calendar events needed an overhaul, and whilst we await the details, the alternatives mentioned leave me a little concerned.

Why not just replace the failing hourlies with better ones? Why not have a couple of bonus mining events a day instead of one? With the cooldown, you still only get to do it once per toon, per day, instead of sometimes missing it completely.

And with being able to go to Vlugta at any time, currently, is that going to change to enable a daily instead? Usually, I only take a toon there outside of a bonus event if I miss it, because I want the bigger payout of up to 1500 dil, but 1000 is better than nothing. If you therefore remove the bonus hour for Vlugta and turn it into a daily, then presumably the only time you will be able to visit Vlugta will be when you take the daily.

More importantly, what is the reward going to be? Is it going to be up to 1000, or 1500?
    And there's something exciting for players that have many starships in spacedock! With the Season 8.5 update, you will be able to easily switch between your starships in sector space and social zones ? we want to make it easy to quickly get to the ship you want to fly. Not only that, but each of your starships can have multiple pre-made build-outs saved, and you will be able to switch between them quickly and easily. Now you will be able to prepare separate PvE and PvP builds...

Now I have to say, I love that. But then, hey, I would, wouldn't I... :cool:
    ...it seems that there is a great variety of different consoles which you can choose from and their effectiveness seems to depend on who or what you are dealing with. This being so, swapping consoles so you can go on a specific mission or meet a specific enemy is laborious and I personally CBA.

What would change that for me would be making that process quicker and simpler.

I would like to see ship weapon/console configuration sets, so that if you want to change your weapons and consoles so that they are more effective against, e.g. The Borg, you can set-up a configuration and be able to switch to it without individually switching out the weapons and console slots each time. You can have a default set and the ability to name your own config (like a costume) and have several for different instances.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11636951&postcount=2

I'm not greedy. A weekly stipend of 10000 dilithium will do me. :D

PS Congratulations on your impending nuptuals, Mr Flakes. May you have many wheatie bangs and Snap, Crackle and Pop.
    NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
    McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    Kate Mulgrew did do VO for Dragon Age I & II though. Still, she is busy right now. :)

Oh my *****! I didn't pick up on it at all! Probably cause I've only now sat down to watch Voyager!
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2014

How about Jerri Ryan?
    I'm tellin ya, they add Jerri and I'll download ARC the next day AND LOVE IT.................:D
    (GOD help me if this happens )
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• draco5734draco5734 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    TO THE DEVS
    how about do something useful for the players and stop doing what's best for you guys and help us, bring back and FIX the MIRROR EVENT, the other day i had to wait 2 days for the event and then it was around 0300 i mean seriously that is stupid

you are destroying the game, you have made it more of a GRIND then actually having fun, among levelling, costing real money to buy gear and fleet ships as you are now a pay to win game ,
    then GRINDING FOR FLEET CREDITS, then again GRINDING the rep system do you actually realise how unhappy the community is, i know a lot of fleets and being in their team speak pve and pvp the numbers are growing of how people are talking about leaving the game, but back to my main point atleast try help us with the mirror event
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]