test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So what happened to Enterprise-E and Data?

Comments

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Actually, it is now. CBS decided that TAS or at least some of TAS is considered canon.

then i stand corrected when the beta of the foundry was released TAS was not considered canon nor were any novels or anything that was not on the 5 series or the films
    sig.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Nope, still ad hominem.
    No, an ad hominem argument is one which is based on a characterization of the person one is arguing against.

"My opponent is an idiot, therefore his argument is false." This is inaccurate - anyone can know something. This is an ad hominem argument, as it attempts to disprove the opponent's assertions by reference to the opponent himself.

"My opponent says this thing, which is stupid, therefore he is an idiot." Insulting, but not an ad hominem argument, as it does not dismiss the opponent's argument based on a personal assessment of the opponent; rather, it dismisses the opponent, not addressing the argument at all (save to call it "stupid", which clearly takes us out of the realm of proper argument anyway).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rossi320rossi320 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow.

OP asks what happened to the Enterprise E and Data, then most of the posts involve replying to someone whose a troll or who honestly does not know what he/she is saying, about what is fandom and how much money was made by the movies. Shouldn't be surprised really but it's just weird how something asking for pure facts winds up morphing into a discussion of opinion. :confused:

Personally, I reckon he was a troll. His writing style smells of it.

As to the actual subject of this post, from what I know Data is definitely fine but retired, whilst it seems that the Enterprise E was likely decommissioned.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rossi320 wrote: »
    Personally, I reckon he was a troll. His writing style smells of it.
    I used to post just like that, and I know I definitely wasn't trolling. I'm not saying for sure, but I'd say there's a very good chance he wasn't trolling. And if he wasn't, he's probably very insecure about all of this, seeing as he was emotionally invested in his arguments.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rossi320 wrote: »
    As to the actual subject of this post, from what I know Data is definitely fine but retired, whilst it seems that the Enterprise E was likely decommissioned.

Yeah, that's the most likely explanation. Something happened on that survey mission that they sent the Ent-E on that ended with the ship mission-killed and Starfleet had to decommission her.

An alternate possibility: Perhaps the Sovs weren't designed to be long-serving* (unlike the Galaxy-class, which were designed for something on the order of a 50-year service lifetime), and the Ent-E just hit the end of its scheduled lifetime.

* Yes, they're still in service as of STO, but nobody said the Assault Cruiser we get is the same production run as the Enterprise. They were building Excelsiors and Mirandas for decades.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the thing that pisses me off about JJ trek is the Enterprise herself. from the stupid nacelles to the titanic era engineering to the superslick bridge. none of it works for me. he SHOULD have gone back to the ORIGINAL NCC 1701 with maybe a bit of embellishment, but the craptastic monstrosity he has now is enough to make me puke

Seniority. I'm fairly certain that Data is one of the most if not THE most senior captain.

If data was still in service. HE RETIRED. When you retire, you lose senority. More than likely though if Data came back, he'd probably be promoted to Admiral. NOW if they wanted to give the Enterprise as his flagship and Shon was his flag captain, I'm down for that.

But that's a huge slap in the face to Shon to take the Big E away from him just to give it back to Data.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the most likely explanation. Something happened on that survey mission that they sent the Ent-E on that ended with the ship mission-killed and Starfleet had to decommission her.

An alternate possibility: Perhaps the Sovs weren't designed to be long-serving* (unlike the Galaxy-class, which were designed for something on the order of a 50-year service lifetime), and the Ent-E just hit the end of its scheduled lifetime.

Or as the Federation is at war they had a choice - Keep the Enterprise-E which wasn't up to par technologically close to home, or risk it getting destroyed which would be a major blow to morale. Or replace it with a more powerful up-to-date ship and send it out to show the flag, thus raising morale.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    Or as the Federation is at war they had a choice - Keep the Enterprise-E which wasn't up to par technologically close to home, or risk it getting destroyed which would be a major blow to morale. Or replace it with a more powerful up-to-date ship and send it out to show the flag, thus raising morale.

Not bad. Though with how the war is on and the ship is still in service. And the Oddy came out a lot after they retred the Enterprise E. Going to say she had too much structural damage. Basically the kind where they need to use two yards slots for one ship. One to take her apart and one to put her back together, just to fix everything. Only other possibility? Museum. The Phoenix is in a museum, a connie is in a museum. (Picard has seen both as such) If she hadn't been destroyed the D probably would have gone to one as a testament to her long and distinguished career.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    edited January 2014
    gonalius wrote: »

That begs the question of where the hell Picard was during the Dominion War, when the Sov was a "more powerful up-to-date ship" and, given the losses Starfleet was taking*, they logically would've needed every such ship at the front lines. Incidentally the front lines are exactly where they have Shon and the Ent-F: He takes command of the thing and immediately leads Starfleet reinforcements against 2800 Dominion warships. Then the Enterprise again leads the fleet against the Elachi in "Spheres of Influence".

* In one off-screen sortie in DS9: "A Time to Stand", 112 ships went out and 14 came back. That's 87.5% casualties, a rate nearly as bad as Wolf 359.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well personally I consider the Trek books written by Pocket books canon in my mind. After all many of the story writers from DS9, TNG, and Voyager write these books.
    There are several books about what the Enterprise was doing during the Dominon War. The Movie Insurrection takes place during the War. But the Enterprise E was not a Front line ship. It's part in the War effort was more
    diplomatic and had to do with keeping the core systems safe. Also keeping her nearby made the people of Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, Tellerite, Risa feel safe.

B4 did not "Become Data" Dr. Soong was working on an advanced android body for himself. Like the one he made for Datas mother. Using the tech he and Ira Graves developed he transferred himself at the moment of his death to the new body. Long story short Dr. Soong transferred datas memory from B4 added it to his own then erased his personality from the Positronic matrix and let Datas take over. He scraficed himself to bring his Son back. (StarTrek: Cold Equations)

In the current novels being written the E is still Trecking along
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Incidentally the front lines are exactly where they have Shon and the Ent-F: He takes command of the thing and immediately leads Starfleet reinforcements against 2800 Dominion warships. Then the Enterprise again leads the fleet against the Elachi in "Spheres of Influence".

And that's the one thing about STO that makes the MOST sense, story-wise. Keeping the brand-new ?berflagship in combat, where it can really shine, is a wise move, ESPECIALLY when its presence can help save a critical battle. Besides, you can always make an Enterprise-G if the new one blows up.

Or just call the Sisko and beg for help. Alternatively, grovel and suck up to Q and ask him to please, please make those Iconians show up so you can shoot them at last.
  • mli777mli777 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like to think Starfleet wanted to preserve the only surviving USS Enterprise to serve during the 24th Century. "B" apparently disappeared in the Beta Quadrant, "C" was destroyed in battle with Romulans, "D" was lost at the Veridian System, so really E is the only possible surviving Enterprise since the "A".

So we have the NX-01 for the 22nd Century, NCC-1701-A for the 23rd, and the NCC-1701-E for the 24th.

P.S: Perhaps all the current Sovereign Class starships are a Flight II variant that can fit non standard equipment.
    USS Canada
    N.C.C. 171867
    Sovereign Class
    Saint John Fleet Yard
    "A Mari Usque Ad Mare"
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well we all know that moment will come sooner or later, the dead of Data was something that all expected, since Brent Spiner was already old (to work on that character). Anyways, Data was always a really charismatic character as well as the Enterprise -E. At first when i started playing STO i was expecting to find some episodes about this or something else, but as i feared, the Enterprise - E is lost forever as well as Data, apparently.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Like I said, big freakin' neon signs...
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Guys, guys, I think we're losing sight of the big picture here.

Is Beverly Crusher still single?

Hellooooooooo, Doctor! ;)
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well we all know that moment will come sooner or later, the dead of Data was something that all expected, since Brent Spiner was already old (to work on that character). Anyways, Data was always a really charismatic character as well as the Enterprise -E. At first when i started playing STO i was expecting to find some episodes about this or something else, but as i feared, the Enterprise - E is lost forever as well as Data, apparently.

Well apparently all the writers and Spiner himself forgot that according to TNG Data can alter his appearance to emulate "aging" like humans do. Hell they even did show it in All good things...

I think its more likely that Spiner didn't want to play Data any more and move on career wise.
  • ddplattddplatt Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Has no one read the books post TV/flim, there is a lot used from the continuation in the pocket books in sto
    edited January 2014
    ddplatt wrote: »
    Has no one read the books post TV/flim, there is a lot used from the continuation in the pocket books in sto
    Books, however, are non-canon.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

For that matter, neither is STO, oh and on all the nonsense that went before, its amusing that this showed up on my twitter feed today:
    http://1701news.com/node/527/what-most-profitable-trek-movie-all-time.html
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

True, they're not considered canon to the main franchise. However STO does consider some of them canon to itself. I always try to make a distinction between "canon" and "STO canon".
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    B4 did not "Become Data" Dr. Soong was working on an advanced android body for himself. Like the one he made for Datas mother. Using the tech he and Ira Graves developed he transferred himself at the moment of his death to the new body. Long story short Dr. Soong transferred datas memory from B4 added it to his own then erased his personality from the Positronic matrix and let Datas take over. He scraficed himself to bring his Son back. (StarTrek: Cold Equations)

Overridden by Star Trek: Countdown, which is apparently canon. (Which is why STO uses the Data explanation that they do.)
    edited January 2014
    True, they're not considered canon to the main franchise. However STO does consider some of them canon to itself. I always try to make a distinction between "canon" and "STO canon".
    And apparently, the particular novel referenced earlier (like the Typhon Pact novels) is not part of STO canon, as it appears to disagree with "Countdown", which is part of STO canon.

Personally, I figure if it doesn't come up in "Path to 2409" or in the game itself, it probably isn't canon.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We have already shown data showing it didn't. But just because I find proving you a nitwit amusing, here are more hard numbers, a concept you seem to be terminally unfamiliar with. Star Trek: First Contact had a budget of $46 million. It grossed $30 million in the first three days it was out and $25 million in the next seven. 30 + 25 = 55. 55-46 = 9. Therefore First Contact made back its budget, with profit, in less than two weeks after release. Its final domestic gross was $91 million, a little less than twice its budget. That's a good performance for any feature film.

So. Your options are:
    -- Concede that you are wrong.
    -- Claim that you live in some alternate universe that interacts with our Internet via <insert technobabble as needed>, where First Contact indeed did not make a profit.
    -- Admit that you're insane. (Fun fact: Under the technical definition of insanity, i.e. "doing the same thing multiple times and expecting a different result", you actually are.)
    -- Admit that you flunked out of elementary school because you suck at basic arithmetic.
    -- Admit that you're deliberately trolling.

As previously stated, this entire argument is fallacious. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else has the right to decide who is and who is not a true fan of anything.

This is why you P'taq and you are wrong.Data is dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NNtaq2mnhU
    So. Your options are:
    -- Concede that you are wrong.
    -- Claim that you live in some alternate universe that interacts with our Internet via <insert technobabble as needed>, where First Contact indeed did not make a profit.
    -- Admit that you're insane. (Fun fact: Under the technical definition of insanity, i.e. "doing the same thing multiple times and expecting a different result", you actually are.)
    -- Admit that you flunked out of elementary school because you suck at basic arithmetic.
    -- Admit that you're deliberately trolling.
    You can go Fxxk this and go Kiss your A$$.

@thedoctorbluebox
    did I say i was leaving the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Like I said, big freakin' neon signs...

Does the neon sign say, "Copies of this not very popular magazine from years ago can be found here"? Because otherwise it's a wasted bit of lore.
    <3
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All they have to do is...

First, download Data's conscious from B4's body.
    Second, take Lure out of storage, and wipe his brain clean.
    Third, upload Data's conscious into Lure's empty brain.
    Reboot new Data.
    Done.

While it may not be the exact same Data, Lure's body is still just as advanced as his old one.

Data should have just left the phaser on overload.
    edited January 2014
    age03 wrote: »
    This is why you P'taq and you are wrong.Data is dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NNtaq2mnhU

You can go Fxxk this and go Kiss your A$$.

@thedoctorbluebox
    did I say i was leaving the game.

And you completely ignore the fact that B4 started singing a song Data had just begun to learn or do you forget this scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S02T1j9qzwg

It's implied that Data's memories are in there, they just haven't taken complete hold. Man you love to just see what you want to see and cut out everything else.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    And you completely ignore the fact that B4 started singing a song Data had just begun to learn or do you forget this scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S02T1j9qzwg

It's implied that Data's memories are in there, they just haven't taken complete hold. Man you love to just see what you want to see and cut out everything else.
    That is not Data and it was destroyed in the explosion as vid I posted shows.That is just some other android.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited January 2014
    age03 wrote: »
    That is not Data and it was destroyed in the explosion as vid I posted shows.That is just some other android.

My god did you even WATCH Nemsis. Data transferred his entire self into B4's neural Matrix. At first data thought he failed. But that song he is singing, it's one data was LEARNING BEFORE THAT BODY WAS DESTROYED.

Don't you get it? Data transferred his contentiousness over to B4. And it's starting to manifest.

But wait we're in your universe where only your logic[or lack there of] is what you see.

God you're so blind to things it's a wonder you don't run into brick walls.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My god did you even WATCH Nemsis. Data transferred his entire self into B4's neural Matrix. At first data thought he failed. But that song he is singing, it's one data was LEARNING BEFORE THAT BODY WAS DESTROYED.

Don't you get it? Data transferred his contentiousness over to B4. And it's starting to manifest.

But wait we're in your universe where only your logic[or lack there of] is what you see.

This exact same argument has been had with the exact same poster in that past. It was infuriating, but believe me when I tell you that you're wasting precious finger energy by bothering to respond.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014

You folks are incurable. :)

As a quick note, your firm assertion that Data was saved is controversial, at best. B-4 was vastly inferior to Data, and showed major signs of robotic retardation. B-4's partial recovery of some of Data's (the word you're looking for is) consciousness is iffy proof of anything. And if you look at Picard's melancholic face, you could just as well say he's realizing that B-4, despite the song, will never be more than a pale shadow of the Data we knew.
    3lsZz0w.jpg