test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is your beef with the Galaxy Cryptic?

Comments

• Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A stand alone ensign is not needed. Every boff comes with ensign powers. I was trying to convey that a stand alone ensign power just gets in the way of having a full LTC boff slot. Having LTC slot is way better than having LT/En slots. Also having an LTC slot allows you to diversify your abilities better withen the carreer that you are allowed to put in the slot. Do you see what I mean, now?

Hm... Ok, I see what you mean now. But I also disagree somewhat with this statement. I won't argue that having another LtCmdr is quite nice, and makes the ship very powerful (the D'deridex is a great example of what a double LtCmdr is capable of), but at the same time, sometimes I find having the Lt AND Ens to be useful.

For example, I'll use my Odyssey and my Scimitar.

On the Odyssey, I run it's Universal Ens as a Sci. The reason? I like having two copies of HE1. It gives me a hell of a lot of self-sustain in addition to being able to heal others. Now if this ship was to be given another LtCmdr, I figure it would be in Engineering. Now, I certainly wouldn't say no to an EPtW3, or another copy of EPtS3, but tbh, I like the HE1 more. And if I wasn't an Engi captain with said Odyssey, I would be forced to use something like RSP or some other ability.

On my Scimitar, I run the Universal Ens as an Engi. Why? Because I like having that second copy of EPtS1. That way I don't have to waste DOff slots on Damage Control Engineers. I imagine if it had another LtCmdr... well I don't know where it would go tbh. Probably Engineering (cuz let's be honest, the Scimitar was never a sci ship in any way, shape, or form). And that would give me the same (if not the same, then similar) problems as with the Oddy.

In many cases, the basic ensign abilities are actually very useful, even if they aren't as powerful as the LtCmdr abilities. That second copy of EPtS1 for example, is a lifesaver in many cases on my Scimitar. And the extra copy of HE1 on my Odyssey helps me stay alive. I can think of great usage for a LtCmdr, but at the same time, the usage of those standalone ensign spots is great.

How about this? If the Ens Eng on the Galaxy was made universal, would that be acceptable? Because I certainly won't argue that a 3rd ensign eng ability is beyond redundant.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i would like that i would use the LT uni for sci use tractor repulsors and the new voth doff that reverse the effects of TBR http://sto.gamepedia.com/Graga_Mal turning TBR into an AOE tractor beam then use eject warp plasma in the clumped group

negating the slow turning of the gal-r as you no longer have to swoop into dump on a group just tractor them
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    neo1nxneo1nx Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    gpgtx wrote: »
    i would like that i would use the LT uni for sci use tractor repulsors and the new voth doff that reverse the effects of TBR http://sto.gamepedia.com/Graga_Mal turning TBR into an AOE tractor beam then use eject warp plasma in the clumped group

negating the slow turning of the gal-r as you no longer have to swoop into dump on a group just tractor them

I have bought this doff the day it available on the exchange for 2 million for my galaxy x.
    for pve it is really good, warp plasma is even more usefull now.
    for pvp, a bit less, yes the player that i fight are usually immune to tractor beam, but it still work for time to time, and is also very useful to clear spam and mines, my galaxy seem less useless with it, but it the same for every ship that would equip it i guess.
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm still just "meh, whatever", for any fixes to the Galaxy types. I never liked them to begin with. What's wierd, is the Ambassador looks a LOT like them, yet visually, it looks so much nicer to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My personal preference would be a BOFF layout with at least a Lt. Cmdr. Science.
    SO Engineering and Science would be more in balance similar to the shows. This would also give the GCS amuch more flexibility for the use of science powers instead of just having to rely on Engineering. This wouldn't make the GCS a DPS monster but much more fun to fly and way more versatile.

Another idea would be to merge it with the Ambassador and give both ships the same Layout and stats.

The biggest problem i see is the fact that the GCS -R is a C-Store ship. If it where just a standard ship there woldn't be any problem to create a mirror variant of it.
    Maybe they could make it something like a C-Store unlock or something like that, i don't know.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    floppytechiefloppytechie Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So the Bulwark class gets a hanger bay AND a lt. cmdr uni that can be used for FAW3.
    So does the Scimitar.
    They being the only two playable dreadnoughts beside the Galaxy.

Where is the Galaxy's hanger and lt. cmdr???:mad:
    Proud owner of every ship with hangers ingame
    Flagship - N.C.C.-99635-A U.S.S. Asterion

I support playable Typhoon class!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bro seriously, Cryptic does not care about that ship nor any other ship released before December 2013. Once they release a ship that's it, bro they move onto the next cash cow.

I'm not being mean, I'm telling you the truth. All of us playing this game has a "old" ship that we love and needs to be re-balanced to compete with the newer ships. But selling ships is how Cryptic makes it's money. And they will not do anything to stop the cash cow from making milk.

Lastly, if this game was directed by a HARDCORE Star Trek fan, you wouldn't even be posting this. Nor will their be a 400 page long thread about updating the Galaxy.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    alexindcobraalexindcobra Member Posts: 608
    edited December 2013
    ataloss wrote: »
    bro seriously, Cryptic does not care about that ship nor any other ship released before December 2013. Once they release a ship that's it, bro they move onto the next cash cow.

I'm not being mean, I'm telling you the truth. All of us playing this game has a "old" ship that we love and needs to be re-balanced to compete with the newer ships. But selling ships is how Cryptic makes it's money. And they will not do anything to stop the cash cow from making milk.

Lastly, if this game was directed by a HARDCORE Star Trek fan, you wouldn't even be posting this. Nor will their be a 400 page long thread about updating the Galaxy.

Dude, you don't know what you are talking about because there are ships that got revamped before. The B'rel did, the Defiant did, and the Galaxy X did, so stop being a hater and let us get the message to the devs.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    zipagat wrote: »
    Nor have a lot of other ships in the game (both Starfleet and KDF) , I hardly think cryptic are picking on the Galaxy in this instance.

Also strictly speaking the Gal has been worked on a couple of times, it got an art upgrade back in the captain logan days and it was originally only a Tier 4 ship that was later made a retrofit.

You are so wrong. You don't know the game history. The Galaxy X got upgraded once, because it was first released with 7 weaopon slots. All the fed ships with sauser separation, cloak, or takyon grid got changed to where those powers were mad into consoles. So quit your doubting hater, and sit on the sidelines and whatch this march.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    the counselor is still a science branch (social sciences) on the show when she was in uniform she wore science blue

and i will say this AGAIN lt. commander data was the chief science officer on the enterprise-D he spent just as much time at the rear science station as he did at the front opps station. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Data

so on the actual bridge of the ship you had

commander riker -engineer back ground (thomas riker when he was recovered form the transporter was in gold)

Lt. Commander data - split eng/sci chief of operations and chief science officer

Lt. Commander Troi - science

Lt. commander LaForge - engineer chif engineer

Lt. Worf - tactical officer

Commander Crusher - science chief medical officer

random ensign that sat next to data / acting ensign crusher he served all positions on the ship for his academy training

so this leaves 2.5 eng bridge officers 2.5 sci bridge officers 1 tactical bridge officer and 1 universal bridge officer

Science for your mind? What the hell does that have to do with the ship? You still can't count Trio. She only felt alien's mind or presence but didn't realy push any buttons, once. She couldn't even medical relieve an officer for mental instability because only Crusher could do that.

Crusher, I already said she was the official science officer, but she is chief medical so that is her primary role. She is not a bridge officer. She only commanded the ship once in the whole series, when all of the command staff and officers were on the surface fighting Lore and the Borg.

Data, I already said he doubled as both science and engineering.

Riker, how could you forget him as Commander? He was prime in influencing how the ship was runned and how the chain of command was structured. You couldn't even get promoted without his approval.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Data would have had every tactical maneuver that starfleet had records of so how can he be simply a science or engineer, he if anything would be the universal officer as he did assist about everywhere and in everything on the ship.

Yeah, good idea. There is the proof we need to maked a LTC universal BOFF slot on the Galaxy.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Ok guys i'm getting on the plane to China so you won't hear from me while i am there. Take care of this thread, TNG fans.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Science for your mind? What the hell does that have to do with the ship? You still can't count Trio. (...)

Aside from her vital role for personnel stuck in deep space for month and years, social sciences are an invaluable branch when encountering unknown cultures and civilizations.

You seem to be stuck deep inside the "US military in space" mindset. As I said before, biggest guns and strongest muscle, that's not what Starfleet is about. :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    yep. the star cruiser is tactically superior to the galaxy. 4 sci console slots can buff plasma weapon damage, and at the same time make things like EWP and TBR deal more damage

this is one example that proove that power creep didn't do anything to galaxy ships shortcomming, but in fact exacerbate their flaw, even if it feel differently when you fly one.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    hmm, i just realize that they merge the " improve my galaxy" and "mokery of tng" into this thread, we are getting famous^^.
  • Options
    sevmragesevmrage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    neo1nx wrote: »
    hmm, i just realize that they merge the " improve my galaxy" and "mokery of tng" into this thread, we are getting famous^^.

****ing hell, I hate it when they do that.

And that's a Mod action, not a Dev. Mods trying to make us STFU about the Galaxy...
    Weyland-Yutani Joint Space Venture - Always open to new members!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My name is Rage, and I too support a revised Galaxy family.
    khayuung wrote: »
    Firstly, be proud! You're part of the few, the stubborn, the Federation Dreadnought Captains.
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Science for your mind? What the hell does that have to do with the ship? You still can't count Trio. She only felt alien's mind or presence but didn't realy push any buttons, once. She couldn't even medical relieve an officer for mental instability because only Crusher could do that.

Crusher, I already said she was the official science officer, but she is chief medical so that is her primary role. She is not a bridge officer. She only commanded the ship once in the whole series, when all of the command staff and officers were on the surface fighting Lore and the Borg.

Data, I already said he doubled as both science and engineering.

Riker, how could you forget him as Commander? He was prime in influencing how the ship was runned and how the chain of command was structured. You couldn't even get promoted without his approval.

riker was the first person i posted as engineer do to his role as operations officer on the potemkin and conn officer on the pegasus

data did not just double as sci and engineering he was the chief science officer all other science personal on the ent-d reported to him

and just because you do not think troi should count she is still a science officer and on the bridge (she has her own station) and runs a whole department just because she is not military shoot to kill does not make it any less relevant

and with crusher she is a commander in starfleet if she wanted to she could pull rank on data
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    darthconnor1701darthconnor1701 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    riker was the first person i posted as engineer do to his role as operations officer on the potemkin and conn officer on the pegasus

data did not just double as sci and engineering he was the chief science officer all other science personal on the ent-d reported to him

and just because you do not think troi should count she is still a science officer and on the bridge (she has her own station) and runs a whole department just because she is not military shoot to kill does not make it any less relevant

and with crusher she is a commander in starfleet if she wanted to she could pull rank on data

Dunno about all these talks about who was on the ship. Kinda hard to take that into account since if you do there are way to many senior officers and stations for any ships in STO.

Crusher was the chief Medical officer so she could be considered the most powerful after the captain and in some ways even had more power then him. Since she could relieve all officers of their duty the Captain included. What rank they are in the show and ranks in game are not gonna be interchangeable.

Personally just need either the current galaxy updated or an alternative that is Free that actually stacks up to all the other tier 5's and give us one that has a Bo and console slotting that can work in this DPs centric game. Tons of good suggestions have been given but its up to the Devs to show they actually care about player opinion and get it done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    neo1nx wrote: »

It's all the same pointless nerdrage stuff for them, lol.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The easiest way to fix the Fleet Exploration Cruiser Retrofit? Remove the Ensign Engineering station and upgrade the Lt. Science station to Lt. Commander Science. Also throw in Sensor Analysis, similar to the ability on the Science Odyssey. The Galaxy would be viable and this thread could finally end. The Galaxy-X is getting fixed very soon, we all know Cryptic will be giving it saucer separation and a hangar. Now, on to ranting about how Voyager is just a vesta without a hangar...
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The easiest way to fix the Fleet Exploration Cruiser Retrofit? Remove the Ensign Engineering station and upgrade the Lt. Science station to Lt. Commander Science. Also throw in Sensor Analysis, similar to the ability on the Science Odyssey. The Galaxy would be viable and this thread could finally end. The Galaxy-X is getting fixed very soon, we all know Cryptic will be giving it saucer separation and a hangar. Now, on to ranting about how Voyager is just a vesta without a hangar...

Heck, i could live with that!

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Galaxy would be viable and this thread could finally end.

never going to happen this thread until locked will more than likely going on for as long as this game does this thread just about a year old that should tell ya something
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    never going to happen this thread until locked will more than likely going on for as long as this game does this thread just about a year old that should tell ya something
    agreed.
    What i would like to know is why they decided to ignore the GCS-R in STO.

I mean come on, they can't seriously think that this ship is ok as it is. They are obviously aware that the G -X is in need of a rework, but their reluctance towards the G -R goes beyond me.

The only realistic hope i have is that they unlock the G -R model for the G-X if they release the reworked G-X (as soon as they fix the saucer sep. problem, lol).

So in the end we would at least have a Galaxy Class lookalike ship which is a bit useful.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    kingstonalankingstonalan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    said it once, ill say it again....give galaxy a LtCom universal and a hangar slot....tada!!! Charlie Murphy!!!! :D
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    said it once, ill say it again....give galaxy a LtCom universal and a hangar slot....tada!!! Charlie Murphy!!!! :D

A hangar wouldn't make sense, the Galaxy isn't a flight deck cruiser or a dreadnought. It would also lose two cruiser commands if one were to give it a hangar. A universal Lt. Commander would be overkill, killing the Ensign Engineering slot and upgrading the Lt. Science to Lt. Commander Science + Sensor Analysis would bring the Galaxy class up to par. The Galaxy was a tank first and foremost in this game, it does not need to have the ability to slot Lt. Commander Tactical, we have two tactical cruisers, one dreadnought, and one battle cruiser to fill the tactical tank role.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I like that :) Lol, never thought about that :D

The Dreadnaught cruiser would get a LTC tac and swapped tac/sci consoles and would also be better.

Then I'd like a Negh'Var Dreadnaught Cruiser as a appropriate mirror and we could call it a day :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I like that :) Lol, never thought about that :D

The Dreadnaught cruiser would get a LTC tac and swapped tac/sci consoles and would also be better.

Then I'd like a Negh'Var Dreadnaught Cruiser as a appropriate mirror and we could call it a day :D
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cryptic would release some (again) ugly ship with exactly the same BOFF layout in the future, lol.
    skollulfr wrote: »
    they havnt.
    there have been half a dozen ships that can be seen as experiments on why the high tier galaxy fails and what could be done to it to improve it.

whether that ends up the case, ask cryptic.
    Well then they haven't got the point of this thread.
    It's about the Galaxy Class, not some generic Cryptic made uglyness.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    Well then they haven't got the point of this thread.
    It's about the Galaxy Class, not some generic Cryptic made uglyness.

I heard through the grapevine that cryptic is about or is done with cannon ships again through the grapevine so plz dont take it as fact
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
This discussion has been closed.