test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dilithium Tax

anahadaranahadar Member Posts: 54 Arc User
Hi,

I am the Administrator of a Small Fleet.
As many others, we have got a problem with filling up the Dilithium in our Fleet Projects.
May be its a Problem with discipline call it what ever you want.

So I suggest, that the administrators of a Fleet get a tool for taxiation.

1. Income Tax refined Dilithium, every time dilithium is refined a percentage of it goes to the Fleetaccount, the tax rate shall be defined by the fleetadministration

2. Income Tax EC, every Time the Player recives EC a percentage of it goes to the Fleetaccount, the tax rate shall be defined by the fleetadministration

3. VAT Dilithium and EC, every time a Player buys something a percentage of it goes to the Fleetaccount, there could be different rates for A.Ship Weapons, B.Consoles, C.Def/Shil/Eng/Cores, D. ground gear, the tax rates shall be defined by the fleetadministration

4. Starbase VAT, in principle this is the same thing as the Vat, the major difference is that the tax is collected by the owner of the holding and not by the Fleet of the consumer

The tool should checkable Accounts for Dilithium and EC.

The collected tax could be redistributed as Fleetcredits, when the Fleet it self has spend it.
This could function automaticly or the Fleet it self could recive a Fleetcredit account.

And as we talk about Asset tools, a credit tool would be nice.
May be as a new Fleetholding, Ferengie Banking Branch or some thing like that? :D
Post edited by anahadar on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No, this is not real life. I don't want to have to pay taxes on something I earned.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sounds like a bad fleet/bad recruiting issue. Don't try to force your problem on the rest of us.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    if the percentage collected by the fleet is actually copied rather than taken, that could work. 1 percent of all transitions are copied into the fleet. I still get 8k dilithium but the fleet gets given 80 dilithium.
  • rednuxrednux Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    We have a small fleet and it's hard to get Dil. But we don't need Devcare.
  • confedinblueconfedinblue Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think you would be better tracking the contribution of your members. If they aren't contributing, threaten to remove them from your fleet. If they don't respond to the threat--then remove them.

However, you're probably better off being the type of fleet that your members want to contribute to.

Unconditionally taxing them is simply not the answer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This inane proposal again? NO. Your problem is that your fleet is disorganized and badly run. Do you even know whose job it is to fill today's project? Does it just sit there as people mill in confusion, uncertain whose job it is to actually do it? That's your problem. Decide whose job it is to fill the project bar on a given cycle in advance, and see to it that the person involved performs that job. Then everything will run on time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anahadaranahadar Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You're all scared, aren't you? :D
    Well thats normal, the people being taxed do think this is a bad idea. :D:D

I mean you guys do not loose anything you recive fleet credits for that.

And for the administrators, who do not need such a tool, simply set the rates to 0% ;)

Now a word to my management skills. I simply do not have the time, to control the contributions. I've got a job, a family and a social life. The tool won't harm anyone. It's just a system that supports the administration of a fleet.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,544 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Taxing Fleet members? What a ridiculous idea!

Are you trying to set some kind of record for how fast your members leave your Fleet? If so, you're certainly doing a fabulous job of it! Just when I truly thought I'd seen all the silliness someone playing this game came come up with, you, OP, open up a whole new level of complete absurdity.

Not all of us have bags of money or loads of time to contribute to Fleet projects. There is this small thing called Real Life which, annoyingly, is always in the way. I contribute what I can, when I can. If my Fleet leaders are unhappy with my level of participation, they can kick me from the Fleet. Some other Fleet will always be happy to take me in.

Other ways to get Fleet members to contribute are:
    - Acknowledge their presence.
    - Thank them when they do something for the Fleet. No matter how small it is.
    - Hold a Fleet night where everyone works together to contribute to one project.

Shockingly enough, these work. At least they do in Fleets which are competently administered. Might be some difficult concepts there for a hard line fascist dictator to get his mind around, though. I'll even throw in some free leadership advice here for ya. It's stuff I learned leading troops in combat, but, it ought to help you out.
    "A leader's first duty is to serve those he leads."

Which Fleet are you, anyways? I'd like to know so I can put all your Fleet Leaders on Ignore.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm not a big fan of this proposal. I suggested a Dilithium Tax but it would be implemented in an entirely different fashion (on dilithium earned, not spent), that would be automatically refined so the player could use their 8k a day for whatever reason they desired, while the fleet projects would get a bit at the same time.

I think taxing Dilithium on things you buy/spend that would subsequently go to the fleet is not the right approach to addressing dilithium costs.

I'm not afraid of taxes, mind you. But if there were to be a taxation tool for fleets to have, it'd need to be as unobtrusive (and optional) as possible. I think fleets should be able to skim a little off the top of what fleet members normally earn, without negatively affecting the individual fleet members themselves who could spend their 8k how they pleased, while still knowing a bit of what they earned through gameplay automatically went to the fleet and was automatically refined. Taxing what they spend their dilithium on is counter-productive, in my opinion.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited December 2013
    Well your certainly right in that issue. But I think every fleet should decide for itself, how it taxes its members.
    A tax of unrefined dilithium is an even better option.
    But I insist on it there should still be the option to set a Value added Tax, anyone who doesn't like it can set the rate to 0%
    In my opinion, there should also be the option to tax EC/Dilithium transfer. Or an option to tax Assets, based on a period of time. I'am just talking about options, evry fleet should decide for it self what modell of taxiation works for it. Or if they do not want to tax at all.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    anahadar wrote: »
    Well your certainly right in that issue. But I think every fleet should decide for itself, how it taxes its members.
    A tax of unrefined dilithium is an even better option.
    But I insist on it there should still be the option to set a Value added Tax, anyone who doesn't like it can set the rate to 0%
    In my opinion, there should also be the option to tax EC/Dilithium transfer. Or an option to tax Assets, based on a period of time. I'am just talking about options, evry fleet should decide for it self what modell of taxiation works for it. Or if they do not want to tax at all.

I do agree there should be more options to generate revenue for fleet use (not personal use), even if I don't agree with your particular proposal. It might work for other fleets though, and more options are always good.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A fleet member has no rights to anything in a fleet as it is for all intents and purposes the property of a single individual who can do what they like with it. If you shove in a further liability on members to fund this personal empire then what are you going to sacrifice for it?

Will you accept that if you do not log in for a 2 week period the fleet will automatically pass to the deputy to take over ownership of?

Will you guarantee that any fleet member has an ability to buy stuff from the fleet without having to beg you to give them a privilege?

Seriously what does a fleet member get out of compulsorily building your personal empire?

many individuals like myself are in large fleets and even though we have thrown in many a resource have never actually bought anything. That was my choice but if it were compulsory to donate without my choosing what to donate then chances are I would never be anywhere near a fleet other than a social attachment. I would certainly not be a member of one.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think this would do great harm to small fleets, they would need higher taxes to be able to function then the larger fleets.

I think a better idea would be something put in place to reward fleets for doing group activity. If a fleet were to do something like a stf or any other group content in a fleet group it would get both dil credits and ec. That would reward players and fleets for providing a fun and active fleet while at the same time not attempting to punish any player. This would have the added bonus of leading to more social activity with in fleets which could help Cryptic to retain players better. People that make friends in game are going to keep playing versus those that do not.
  • barbofb92barbofb92 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I like this idea ! :-)
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,544 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Now that I've had time to calm down a bit and think on this - How about some alternate options to my fleet taking a chunk of my Dil? I'm still very firmly opposed to any type of mechanism in STO which allows my Fleet leadership to tax me. No matter how it is set up, someone will almost certainly abuse it. Unless there is another mechanism in place to redress such abuse permanently. Such as a majority of the Fleet members being able to vote a Fleet Leader out of the Fleet. Which would be equally open to abuse.

However...

What if time spent in game by a player contributed to Fleet Holdings? Such as for every hour I play STO, I earn Fleet Marks or Dilithium or my Fleet. The mechanisms for this are already in place in the game. So it wouldn't a matter of writing new code, merely adapting existing code to another purpose.

The longer someone plays the game, the more likely they are to spend Real Money on it.
    So pwe/cryptic benefits.

The longer someone plays the game, the more their Fleet earns.
    So the Fleet benefits.

It would allow people in large Fleets to contribute and earn Fleet Credits.
    It would benefit small Fleets by providing the extra source of income needed.
    It would benefit Fleets by having a concrete measurement of who is contributing to the Fleet and who is just on the roster.
    It would provide another source of Fleet Marks.

I have no problems with dropping US $40.00 on Dilithium for my Fleet on payday. I try to do this at least every other week. Because it is sometimes difficult for me to find the time to earn and then contribute a significant amount of Fleet Marks.

Fleet Marks seem to be the biggest bottleneck on projects for my Fleet. I suspect we are not alone in this.

So, to complete my idea, I suggest that for every hour a player spends in game, their fleet is credited with an amount of Fleet Marks. For every storyline, STF, or PvP event, their fleet is credited with an amount of dilithium. Don't make the amounts large. But do make them worth the time and effort. Add in a bonus percentage if they do something like an all fleet STF or PvP event. Add in a bonus if they do certain events at certain times during the day or week.

I know, I know. It's trying to get something for nothing and no one wants that. But it is an alternative to a Fleet Tax. Which would probably kill off any of the little remaining goodwill for grinding out stuff for a Starbase which will be done someday.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think this is a fantastic idea! I'll set mine to 0% and, make sure I let every social zone know that our fleets would never charge the player a tax to be a part... especailly since they have to contribute in order to purchase anything (i.e. need fleet credits... I removed the donation gate sometime ago, except for new recruits).

Heck, if you want to chase your members away... send em my way :) Can always use some help to finish off T5.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I smell bait.

Anyway, this is a bad idea. The fleet tax you mention is the fleet credit price your fleet members have to PAY for the fleet items.

Yes, OP, in case you did not notice, fleet items cost a LOAD of fleet credits.

Guess what? They get fleet credits by putting stuff to the fleet. Mind why would anybody be in the same fleet as you escapes me, but still.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited December 2013
    I think, the biggest issue is filling up the dilithium.
    I do aggre that there should be mechanism to protect the Fleet Assets from being abused by the Administration.
    There are many ways to solve this issue, I for my self are just talking about OPTIONS. On the other Hand a taxsystem would be great for large fleets, so every fleet member could earn enough fleetcredits, by taxing the EC income this would benefit the members of a Big fleet.
    How ever this is more an automatization tool, but I think the other proposals are great as well.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As administrator of your fleet, you can already choose to set contribution requirements for your members. You can see their overall contribution, so you can already tell them to give x per week and police that, if you want.

The idea is abhorrent and you'll quickly lose all of your members, but you can do it.

Heck, you may even get away with it. I know of a couple of largish fleets that actually charge their own members for access. And somehow stay alive. Their members must have a form of Stockholm Syndrome.
    edited December 2013
    I dont know why but I am ammused by the people insulting me. :D
    This Tax is really scaring you.

Your right, that I can controll the members, but I do not want to spend time on controlling them, we are just 9 people, but they have multiple chars. So that takes a lot of time, which I dont have.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Control is a strong word, but as a fleet leader, its your responsibility to "rally the troops" to help xpand the base... a cheerleader for the fleet... trying to get people to work together, play together, and have some vested interest in the fleet.

Early on, I found I was doing more fleet work than I was game play. Thankfully, we hit our stride, and I've not needed to do much admining. People donate (not because I force them, but because they need fleet credits).

I found, when we were just starting out, that we had to be very picky about what projects got slotted, and when... there are projcts that don't require dilithium... I would use these at times when dilithium was being pulled in too many directions (example: a new rep/gear items (read Dyson rep), or when players weren't focused on Dilithium making missions (read: Winter Event). There are also times I purposfully didn't have open projects in one holding, as to direct people to contribute to the other.

Member: "I have these Science Officers to donate, can you open a project"
    Me: "We're focusing on the Spire Upgrade project right now, as soon as thats underway, we'll open a Science project".
    Member: "Oh ok... thanks"

It is frustrating to see a project sitting there for days waiting to be filled (I wish we had a cancel project button). However, I really don't think a tax on the player base would get you what you are looking for... especially if there are many fleets (such as mine, and others who have responded), that would set their rate to 0. In the end, players would see it as a detriment to being in your fleet.

It is not a matter of being "afraid of a tax". I am certainly not afraid of it... I would welcome it, as there would be an expanding number of players looking for a new fleet (one that doesn't charge fees/taxes/tithes).

I think, rather than focusing on how to squeeze more out of the 9 players you have in your fleet, you should focus on how to make your fleet more inviting and attractive for players to join.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    "A leader's first duty is to serve those he leads."

That's my philosophy. I wish I was better at it.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    He is the fleet leader, he can do what ever he wants. Thank you for reminding me why it was easier to have my one man fleet, then PAY someone to tell me what to do.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    aww, no one likes my idea of copying dilithium.

It can be a percentage, you know? 10 percent of dilithium processed and you get 10 fleet marks, but 1 percent of dilithium processed and you get 100 fleet marks, gotta play with the ratio a little but the higher the percent, the less return to the members for fleet marks.
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ummm, just no. Tis a horrid idea, you'd have ghost fleets inside of 10 seconds of this being implemented.
    Especially with the "tax on purchases". SO you can have some ranks within your fleet unable to access your fleet stores, to get the nice goodies. BUT, they're getting taxed on everything they buy, no matter the source? Sure, tell me how that works for you, when your fleet empties out.
    Again, just an inane idea. If you canna get your people to donate to fleet projects, then you have an issue with how your personnel are percieving your fleet, or you have a bunch of free-loaders.
    And if you're so strapped for time, to actually be a leader, and inspire your people, and do the thing's a fleet lead should be doing, maybe it's time for you to:
    A> Step down. Pass the position to someone else who has the ability & the time/energy to devote to the positiion. Or,
    B> Start designating certain things to your officers, that again, have the talent/ability, time & energy, and willingness to step up. Or,
    C> A mix of A & B.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    anahadar, why do you keep assuming that people who object to a fleet tax are scared of it. I myself lead two fleets and I am very much against the idea of fleet tax. It's hard enough as it is to convince people to join a fleet, especially on the kdf side. If you then have them all assuming that they'll be forced to fork over god knows how much of their ingame income, then it is gonna be impossible for small fleets to build up membership.

I understand your desire for a feature like this, I know how hard it can be for smaller fleets to build up their holdings, but you haven't thought through the long term effects of what you are proposing. It'll do a lot more harm in the long run then good.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • kylelockekylelocke Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is a bad idea. I run a small Fleet myself and I don't expect my members to do all the work, while I do see some but few contributions, I haven't made it an obligation because people play STO to enjoy themselves and they have a life outside of the Fleet. Offer the members that contribute the most a reward, an incentive to keep them interested and show that they will get something in return for their efforts.
    "I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105-C
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No taxation without representation!
  • glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hmmm ...

Perhaps if the game had some way of tracking a member's contributions and rewarding them a spendable currency to purchase really nice equipment with. It could be called Fleet Credits. People would want these "Fleet Credits" and so would be encouraged to donate to fleet projects ...

Oh wait ...

That said, the main complaint is always who will donate the dilithium. Currently the rate is one fleet credit for one dilthium. Should be 2:1 or better ratio.

Federation Fleet Alert = @50 marks or 2500 FC, time to complete 10mins

STF = 960 Dilithium or 960 FC, time to complete 5-15mins.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Very bad idear because people would walk from fleets that use this tool why not just change the message of the day to ask members to put some dilith to the base everyday there log on when i was 2ND highest rank of house of duras i did just this it worked well.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.