test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introducing Arc

Comments

• tordesignstordesigns Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Starting up, why is it 2 processes being ran in the background for one application.Many things come to mind of advantages and what it could be doing with your computer in the background.Overall its alright in design but severally limited in the type of content its offering.Leaving its only advantage being social interaction between players for your mmo games.Also on the thought of the app programming its self how well'ly optimized is it designed to run on all types of hardware.Things like this i think of your a unknown,where as steam is and has been known for over 10 years i expect them to work on optimizing software.Why , they take statistics of computer hardware from their users and tell them of it.On your hand you dont really do any such thing but say help to improve our application,now i bet if i checked my out going packets your taking info off my computer whether i agree to this or not and i think thats completely wrong nor will i check this cause like i said your a unknown and you have to prove to us we can trust your application to give us the best experience.

Overall:
    UI looks-8 looks fairly good for what is given
    More interaction- would be nice to see some form of a "fleet,guild" interaction between the games and the community

More interaction extended- Some form of a fleet/guild chat room through the app maybe with a mic interaction while in game as a premium feature
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Wants to update more often than my antivirus and seems to serve no useful purpose, lemme know if you guys come up with something even more annoying and worthless to the customer than ARC, should be amusing to see the response.
    *raises hand* Origin? :D Nah, that's my vendetta against EA talking.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Arc brings together the best online gaming experiences from Perfect World Entertainment onto one easy-to-use platform.

Learn more about Arc here.

having trouble with launcher it is in taskbar but can't see
    edited September 2013
    revlot wrote: »

I have a pre-arc installer archived, just so that if I need to reinstall that I can do it without arc.

EDIT:
    Archive it for yourself before they remove the pre-arc installer from the website.
    If that ever disappears I will reupload it to my cloud storage and put a download link in my signature.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I honestly didn't know how I what I would do about ARC. I was against it as an idea. Well I got a new laptop the other day, and have the option to install STO.

Simply put: I haven't as I don't feel like things are going in the direction I'm happy with. IE: ARC.
    I suddenly realised that I've not updated the game either for three weeks. Maybe its burn out, and I hope I'll be back... but still ARC has me worried enough to unconsciously start avoiding STO.

Something for Branflakes to consider, and pass on to your overlords: You've pushed at least one Life timer with disposable income and a huge amount of gaming time, away from your game.

As I say, I may well be back, and thank you to those of you who have uploaded the old Installer. I may make use of your services at a later date.
  • xariamaxariama Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Arc, the Warden of STO. Sorry, Bran, but no, it will not, and will never, go on my computer.
    Lane Bjorn Jorgensson, Captain, ISS Voltaire

Here's a map to show how much they've screwed up the game map.
  • randolf2randolf2 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    When I try to run Arc it says updating and dosn't do anything. I waited an hour and still nothing more. I tried running the installer and selecting repair but when I run it after repairing it still says updating and never does anything further. :(
    Empress Sela, was assimulated by the Borg drone named Tasa Yar! :eek:
  • fhbradleyfhbradley Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    edited September 2013
    fhbradley wrote: »
    As I'll have to buy a new computer soon, where can I get that installer?

It's on page 27, but here you go.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Please do! We'd love to hear your feedback.

Also, please note that most features are not available for STO yet, but we hope to be able to offer them in the future!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I can no longer play any PWE game because of this launcher. It set itself up and I get this;

2wl1.png

None of the games are "clickable" they don't download nothing happens. I tried many things. But I am not into this load program A to get game B stuff. I am old time is not on my side. I will go play Rift and Guild Wars while you get this fixed.

I wonder just how many people don't take the time to tell you this?

Good Luck Brandon.
    NFA-banner.png
  • stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hate mmo's and would never even consider installing one if it didn't say "Star Trek" on it.
    I'm f2p so I doubt my opinion make's any difference - heck, It'll probably have an adverse effect.
    I don't do thing's like "Steam" either. I like to keep my pc clean and free of bloatware, spyware, adware, and anything else that isn't an absolute need. This whole thing is just a real turn - off for me.
    I didn't even like it, (actually got a little disgusted), when other pwe game ad's were being streamed into my sto ui. Didn't I also have to install something else just to run sto in the first place? (Pando Media Booster? I really don't remember if that was it or not, but have been afraid to get rid of it in case it was a necessary evil).
    I realize ofcourse, that a company needs money to stay afloat, I just wish they could come up with more creative and honorable ways to do it.
    I really don't want another gig or 2 of "this" type of thing on my pc. And I already have enough "secure" browser's to secure.
    And since I'm here,...
    Telling people how great, useful, convenient, helpful, something will be, when it's number one beneficiary will obviously be the company,... well I guess you'll do what you feel you have to do. But ultimately, it's a dishonorable approach.

So, if my f2p opinion, will actually cause an opposite effect, I vote yes!...
    Bring it on!
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, I have to admit to being skeptical about this, specially after everyone posted all they have. Yet I found that "if you can't beat them, join them", so I installed Arc, and...

It's GREAT! I've had no troubles with it what-so-ever.

And I quite like how easy it is to do things, you can go to the forum , switch games, add games, and alot of other things, so much faster, and easier than before.

No problems logging on to the games at all with it, in fact, I find it to be quicker. :D

So, I'd like to suggest the good ol saying , since you know Arc won't go away, and no doubt eventually they'll not allow the original launchers to work, I say, "if you can't beat them, join them", or as others have said in the foundry to people, take it with "a grain of salt" .

BWAAaaahahahahahahaaa. god that s a good one.

anyhow yea, just thought I'd share a thought bout Arc that is Not negative.

God Bless You all.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Don't take this wrong way, but what the heck is wrong with you? :mad:

If they make Arc mandatory, they'll lose customers and get in trouble with Steam.

Maybe they don't care about that first one, but Steam is a corporation and most likely, can rake them over the coals for breach of contract.

Personally, I'd love to see how they force me to use Arc, they literally don't have a leg to stand on.

I have the Steam client running on an independent hard drive.
    What are they going to do?
    Come personally to my house and uninstall the client?

But if it comes to that, I'll just walk away, I have no desire to use Arc! :mad:

And seriously, why would someone like me need to switch games?
    I only play 2 games, neither of which are PWE games and the second one I don't play on a regular basis due to lack of good updates, so that isn't a selling point.

To be brutally honest, all PWE games are garbage, so I'm never going to be interested in another one.
    And that includes the upcoming Neverwinter game.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • heyzoosheyzoos Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    amahood wrote: »
    Well, I have to admit to being skeptical about this, specially after everyone posted all they have. Yet I found that "if you can't beat them, join them", so I installed Arc, and...

And I quite like how easy it is to do things, you can go to the forum , switch games, add games, and alot of other things, so much faster, and easier than before.

No problems logging on to the games at all with it, in fact, I find it to be quicker. :D

So, I'd like to suggest the good ol saying , since you know Arc won't go away, and no doubt eventually they'll not allow the original launchers to work, I say, "if you can't beat them, join them", or as others have said in the foundry to people, take it with "a grain of salt" .

God Bless You all.

ok, on your recomendation i'll at least begin the process of signing up for this.
    however as soon as they begin asking me for personal information like phone number, cerdit card number, address, mothers maiden name or anything like that i am bailing out.

i have heard the same good things said of steam.
    i tried steam and the first time i went to buy something from them they demanded a phone number before they would allow my purchase with a credit card to go through.

they would not allow payment by paypal.

within an hour i was getting junkmail on my phone for online dating services and asking if i wanted a longer and harder erection.
    i eventually had to buy a new phone because according to steam they had not sold my information to anyone, and so couldn't tell me who had the information.

it turned out that the purchase was one that kept charging my card every month for two months before i had my bank block all charges to them.
    any attempt to get the charges stopped by contacting, or trying to contact people at steam got the same stonewall answer.
    if you have tried to resolve problems with steam then you already know that stonewall and there is no need for me to repeat it here.

i eventually found out that such places technically are telling the truth that they are not selling your information to anyone, but if you look in their statements that you MUST agree to to get into the game they will tell you that they share the information with "selected partners".

and how do you become a "selected partner"?
    you PAY to become a selected partner.
    but you are not actually buying information, just a partnership.

I hate mmo's and would never even consider installing one if it didn't say "Star Trek" on it.
    I'm f2p so I doubt my opinion make's any difference - heck, It'll probably have an adverse effect.
    I don't do thing's like "Steam" either. I like to keep my pc clean and free of bloatware, spyware, adware, and anything else that isn't an absolute need. This whole thing is just a real turn - off for me.
    I didn't even like it, (actually got a little disgusted), when other pwe game ad's were being streamed into my sto ui. Didn't I also have to install something else just to run sto in the first place? (Pando Media Booster? I really don't remember if that was it or not, but have been afraid to get rid of it in case it was a necessary evil).
    I realize ofcourse, that a company needs money to stay afloat, I just wish they could come up with more creative and honorable ways to do it.
    I really don't want another gig or 2 of "this" type of thing on my pc. And I already have enough "secure" browser's to secure.
    And since I'm here,...
    Telling people how great, useful, convenient, helpful, something will be, when it's number one beneficiary will obviously be the company,... well I guess you'll do what you feel you have to do. But ultimately, it's a dishonorable approach.

So, if my f2p opinion, will actually cause an opposite effect, I vote yes!...
    Bring it on!

yes this is my thought on it.
    however i have been connected with STO since early beta and have not played the game since before it went F2P, and i get this junkmail from them that the REAL worf would be a voice in the game now.
    so i have to check this out.

yes, YES you can call me a mindless star trek fan, but i always though Mr. Dorn was a perfect klingon, just like there is only one Cpt. kirk [William Shatner] and only one true james bond[Sean Connery].
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The only thing that I can say that hasn't been already said is this:

I hope that the programmers you have working on this are better than the ones that can't seem to fix things like duplicate in-game email messages from the Exchange, or Department Heads getting changed every time we switch maps, for months. Long-standing, well-known and unaddressed bugs like that do not exactly inspire confidence.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Brandon please I'm begging you do NOT let them make this mandatory. Launch platforms like this take years to develop and even then the best developed ones are much easier to breach than a standard single game launcher.

This. Also, does Arc support our security software? And does the company take responsibility for any breaches via the Arc web browser?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    amahood wrote: »

God Bless You all.

I have used ARC, I uninstalled it after 1 day.
    I see no reason to install something to let me log into a game I can already log into without it.

I only play one game so being able to switch between games means nothing to me.
    I can add games by downloading them, I have no interest in any other PWE games, so that is meaningless to me.
    If I want to see the forums I will use my normal browser.
    I found the "do not send my info to PWE" button eventually.
    AS for the social media, I don't use any.
    Chat between games, we already have.
    Good that you had no problems with it, I'm one of the people with extra lag while it was running.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stargazerjmbstargazerjmb Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I noticed that a recent patch was huge and it made me suspicious that ARC may have been downloaded without our knowing. In the launcher options I now see a check box for displaying all games. If I click this it says the launcher needs to be re-started before continuing. I unchecked the box again as I have no intention of EVER using ARC and I was worried this may start an install process. Can someone please tell me if I need do a complete system restore and leave STO and PWE forever? I really don't want to do this as the game is finally coming into it's own, but I will not be forced to use this utter TRIBBLE spyware. For the record I'm a lifer from day one.
  • cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I noticed that a recent patch was huge and it made me suspicious that ARC may have been downloaded without our knowing. In the launcher options I now see a check box for displaying all games. If I click this it says the launcher needs to be re-started before continuing. I unchecked the box again as I have no intention of EVER using ARC and I was worried this may start an install process. Can someone please tell me if I need do a complete system restore and leave STO and PWE forever? I really don't want to do this as the game is finally coming into it's own, but I will not be forced to use this utter TRIBBLE spyware. For the record I'm a lifer from day one.

I'm pretty sure the "Display All Games" check box has always been there. It was so you could use the Cryptic Launcher for STO and Champions Online, and now Neverwinter without needing the individual ones.
  • stargazerjmbstargazerjmb Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the info. I was really worried that I was going to have to leave this game after all the effort I'm putting into my star base. I hope they see sense and don't ever make ARC mandatory. Guess it will be back to Eve for me if they do.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No, thanks. If I ever try Neverwinter (unlikely, due to personal bias against D&D 4e) or Champions Online (likely if I can find the time), I can assure you that I will log in the old-fashioned way.

Also, if you phase out the individual launchers I will become highly displeased. Highly displeased, Klingon style. And then I will need to buy a new computer.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So Cryptic, just how much is Arc gonna spy on my computer, its contents and my internet usage?
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Cryptic's games always had this because NW, STO, and Champs use the same launcher with different skins and can be used to download multiple games.

And you can't play any MMO I know of without a launcher. Currently, ARC launches the Cryptic launcher but once fleshed out, will be the launcher for STO.

I don't get all the paranoia about this.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    So Cryptic, just how much is Arc gonna spy on my computer, its contents and my internet usage?

So... Why are you worried about ARC doing that and NOT worried about the Cryptic launcher (which you already use) doing that?
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So... Why are you worried about ARC doing that and NOT worried about the Cryptic launcher (which you already use) doing that?

Because the Cryptic launcher isn't a required 'always on' launcher. ARC, once done, will be.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hravik wrote: »
    Because the Cryptic launcher isn't a required 'always on' launcher. ARC, once done, will be.

So basically I'll need to keep the program running at all times in the background? TRIBBLE that, my CPU's taxed enough as it is.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thank you hravik.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Because the Cryptic launcher shuts down when STO opens, and they've already stated that they intend ARC to remain running in the background come hell or high water.

They then give a form-letter spiel about how they intend this bigger, more feature-laden mega-launcher+chat+browser to not interfere with the game at all in any way, while refusing to entertain the idea that turning it off like the current launcher would accomplish exactly that.

Sooo, what's it doing in the background that's so important to "Them" that wanting to shut it off seems like a personal affront to "Them?"

If it's not doing anything, as they claim, shutting it down should be a non-issue. But they keep going on about how it's "intended" to run in the background, period.

Uh...doing what, exactly? :eek:
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One of the big things companies look for is piracy or activity that could indicate piracy. I know Steam was originally set up to throw a **** fit if it detected P2P or torrent activity and other "pirate like activity." Don't know if it does anymore... I refuse to use Steam as I lost nearly $500 worth of gift-purchases due to their account-guard. The folks who gifted me the games aren't going to hand me their credit-card numbers so I can get access to my account back, they insist that is the ONLY way though.

Going forward, I expect ARC to be monitoring for signs of hacking, cheating, piracy and other non-approved activities. That's utterly insane though as most PW products are F2P, so it's not like we are playing with TRIBBLE and cracked versions of the game... Whatever. I don't expect STO to be online past the middle of the year so it's a moot point anyway. Only thing it'll affect for me is Neverwinter.